Baby movement poll - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How many weeks were you when you felt the baby move for the first time?
10 or before 4 26.67%
11 2 13.33%
12 6 40.00%
13 10 66.67%
14 4 26.67%
15 10 66.67%
16 6 40.00%
17 4 26.67%
18 9 60.00%
19 3 20.00%
20 4 26.67%
21 4 26.67%
22 3 20.00%
23 0 0%
24 or after 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-16-2011, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I felt a distinct flutter right at 16 weeks, but then haven't felt anything since! I guess that's to be expected since this is my first babe. Anybody else have a big gap from the first movement to the second?? 

Also, when (or where) do you all typically feel movement? Some say only when lying down in bed, others while sitting in a recliner. . . anybody know why it's easier to feel it in those positions? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2011, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by om83 View Post

I felt a distinct flutter right at 16 weeks, but then haven't felt anything since! I guess that's to be expected since this is my first babe. Anybody else have a big gap from the first movement to the second?? 

Also, when (or where) do you all typically feel movement? Some say only when lying down in bed, others while sitting in a recliner. . . anybody know why it's easier to feel it in those positions? 

HUGE gap between the first movements.  I swear I felt something at around 9 or 10 weeks.  It was teeny and something I'd totally have ignored if it was my first, but I'm sure I wasn't going crazy!  But then nothing for quite a while.  Even now, I can go days between noticing movement.  Though as soon as I posted yesterday, I got lots of movement in the last 24 hours!  (Laying on my bed on my stomach and sitting at my desk.  I'm guessing because that's when things sort of squash down on the baby...otherwise it's little enough that there's plenty of room to move around without touching the "walls".)   Last night when I was laying on my stomach - something I'll have to give up in the very near future! - the movement was the strongest yet...I thought I might be able to feel it if I put my hand there, but by the time I got my hand in place, it stopped. 

Old 03-11-2011, 12:45 PM

I hit 20 weeks this week and still haven't felt anything :( my doc hasn't said anything about an anterior placenta, and I've seen the baby on the U/S so i know it's doing alright, I'm just ready to feel it! (I know I will probably be eating those words in a month or two) maybe I just have a good lazy sleeper in there :)

Old 03-13-2011, 12:14 AM

I'm just around 20 weeks as well and it's only been the last couple weeks or so that I've started to feel some kinds of rolling type of movement in there.  No definate kicks or punches, but also on the u/s can see that our little lovebug is active and already an acrobat.  So I'm not worried and you shouldn't be either. I know it's frustrating when "everyone else" has felt movement but it seems you're the only one who hasn't.  And yes, I think you will eat your words in a few months when the little kicker won't let you sleep 'cause it wants to play 'punch mommy'! 

chicken3.gif    Wife to DH and Mama to five beautiful children,    Always remembering out Little Angel angel.gif we lost in Jan. 2004. 

teapot2.GIF, selectivevax.gif,winner.jpg,cd.gif,fambedsingle1.gifbftoddler.giffbbf.giffemalesling.GIF

Old 03-13-2011, 10:42 AM

I'm in the same boat as you Narleegates. Almost 21 weeks and I still haven't felt anything that I can concretely say "Yes, that was the baby". Ultrasounds and doppler have let us know that baby is actively moving around in there, but I can't feel him yet! I do have an anterior placenta so I'm sure that's part of it, but it makes me worry when so many other people can feel things so much earlier, and I can't greensad.gif

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

Owned by Friesians and Drum Horses, plus the dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens

Old 03-13-2011, 10:46 PM

I felt *nothing* until a couple days ago, at 19w4d...and then he suddenly moved down lower for a while; my placenta is high and anterior, and he has been hanging out there most of the time (i can feel the bulge often, and it's always been high and on the right side) and I think that's what kept me from feeling a thing...but as soon as he shifted, I felt a ton of movement right away, put my hand down there absently, and got a kick hard enough to move my hand away! I thought I'd get the little internal flutters or something first, but we skipped right to feeling it from the outside.

He's mostly hanging out up top still, but a few times over the last few days he has shifted down for a while again and I have felt more kicks like that. (I feel so much better about things now, it's silly. Now I just hope I keep getting these 'visits' so I don't start worrying again...)

Mama to Alaric, my beautiful rainbow1284.gif -- born 4 weeks early on 7/3/11 at 7lb4oz.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:29 PM

we got our big U/S today where they check out the heart and everything and the tech said my placenta was anterior :( i know...it's not a bad thing, it just means I won't feel much til later, boooo!

Old 03-16-2011, 04:22 PM

Boo to anterior placentas.  I feel very fortunate to have felt my little guy for a while now.  He was "kickboxing" today.  It was the funniest thing...it just made me laugh.  Normally I get a jab or two but this was consecutive pow pow.....pow pow pow.  It had me cracking up. 

I'm sure that will not be the case in a few months.

Hang in there mommas with anterior placentas your day will come.

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

Old 03-16-2011, 09:47 PM

yeah, I figure, if anterior placenta is my biggest complaint, well then I'm pretty blessed

Old 03-21-2011, 10:57 PM

While we're on the topic of babies moving about in their comfy environment... can we take a poll on heart rate?  I know the old wives tale is a theory that has been de-bunked as far as higher = girl and lower = boy, but it might be fun to compare notes.

Just for the record, I don't know the gender of my lovebug and don't want to know.  But with DS in utero the fhr was lower and with DD it was much higher.  This one is more in the middle, but tending to the higher end.

Anyone else?

chicken3.gif    Wife to DH and Mama to five beautiful children,    Always remembering out Little Angel angel.gif we lost in Jan. 2004. 

teapot2.GIF, selectivevax.gif,winner.jpg,cd.gif,fambedsingle1.gifbftoddler.giffbbf.giffemalesling.GIF

Old 03-22-2011, 09:02 AM

I don't the the gender of our little one either but the last time we got a read on the heartbeat it was 150.  I don't know if that's high or low...  I think it's a boy though so we'll see what comes in July!

The little bugger likes to do most of his kicking at 3 or 4 in the morning.  Not the gentle little nudges I get throughout the day, but the hard core wham bam here I am knocks that you can feel really well from the outside.  I think he likes to remind me he's still there.  I love it, but the lack of sleep is wearing on me.  He only seems to move if I've been still for a while.  Maybe I should starting sleeping in a hammock?  Actually that sounds kind of nice, although I'm picturing the hammock on the beach in some tropical locale!

Old 03-24-2011, 07:36 PM

I 'm still not sure if I'm feeling baby or not, but i keep getting these pressure sensations on my bladder, i believe it's serving as babys dance floor
Old 04-02-2011, 06:48 PM

i felt it from the outside today! soo cool! and now that I'm positive of what I'm feeling, I can better gauge when I started feeling it

Old 04-05-2011, 02:44 PM

Me too from the outside.  It's that little alien feeling, especially when you can distinguish a foot part or a bum part or some other such baby bit.   Isn't is SO amazing that we can grow people!!!????   I'm sure I've said that before, but, even though it's happening as we speak.. I still find it so incredibly mysterious how it all comes together.  And soon... before we know it... they'll BE on the outside and not kicking us from withing.  So enjoy it - every minute - while you can!  I know I will.  

Old 04-05-2011, 10:53 PM

I can't distinguish parts yet but I'm totally being tickled from the inside today.  So neat to feel all the different sensations.  I tell DH if only you could feel what I'm feeling.  It's so hard to describe.  I'm in love!

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

User Tag List