Anyone else putting off buying baby stuff? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 03-04-2011, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I haven't bought anything yet & aren't in a rush.  I'm having another summer boy & have tons of clothes, toys & supplies. The only 2 things I want are a video monitor & soft car seat cover.  I might buy a few cute outfits too.  I have Moby & Ergo carriers & am wondering if I want to try a different one.

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."- Albert Einstein

#32 of 36 Old 03-05-2011, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

I was just given a another pack n' play that turns into a changing station. So now i have two pack n' plays (good because I needed one to leave at my MIL's when she watches baby), a car seat, a crib with bedding, and a co-sleeper. Not buying stuff yet has worked out! At work people keep asking me when i want my baby shower ans what i need. i think they want to have the shower in April so i need to register this month. After that I'll see what I need. 

#33 of 36 Old 03-05-2011, 10:58 PM

i bought some diapers because the price was so good. super soft organic cotton diapers. and today my husband bought a minivan which is partially related to baby so maybe we have now bought a really huge purchase in preparation for baby? smile.gif i am excited about the minivan and we needed it for other reasons not baby related but baby did sort of get us thinking and talking a lot more about it.

in april i will get the rest of stuff needed. some clothes a car seat and more diapers. and another big piece of felted wool for protecting the bed from pee. despite the wonders of ec my son often pees at night and the diapers we use are not always that great at keeping it from getting on the bed so he sleeps on a big piece of felt and we will want another one for baby. i am playing with idea of making a giant piece of felt...

oh and i need to make a few baby hats and i want to make a blankie for baby and one for son but those are all sort of extras.

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#34 of 36 Old 03-09-2011, 05:00 PM

Oooh y'all I've gone crazy! I guess I just couldn't hold back anymore, LOL!

I just bought a car seat (Britax Marathon) which thankfully my GMIL offered to pay for so it doesn't count as an expense to us, but still!

And a dozen newborn-size unbleached Snugglebottoms fitted diapers (we already have a dozen from when DS was born and they are SO awesome--so along with the preemie prefolds I've got, now we're set with diapers for the newborn stage!) and 2 dozen cozy flannel wipes, since the ones we have are looking kinda raggedy and I want something cozy and new to wipe the new LO!

And 4 gender-neutral 3-month onesies from Goodwill, very cute patterns. A thrifty buy but still counts!

And an awesome anatomically correct baby doll for 17-month-old DS, to help prepare him for the new baby, teach him about being gentle and Mama nursing the new baby, etc. Also the book "I'm a Big Brother" which will be great alongside "Hello Baby" which we bought last month. orngbiggrin.gif

And now I'm off to email a seamstress about re-sewing the elastic on some of our cloth diapers so they'll be good as new. And look into belly bandits or their alternatives (any suggestions?)

Has anyone else caved and begun acquiring/nesting?

#35 of 36 Old 03-09-2011, 07:46 PM

I've got my cloth diaper stash and that's about it.  I got a really good deal off craigslist and a bunch of freebies off of freecycle.  I might need to get some prefolds for the newborn stage but I'm holding off just yet.

Can't buy anything for the babe because our remodel still isn't done and everything we own is in the "baby's" room being stored.  This remodel is starting to drive me crazy.  I need to organize and get things in order.  It's not DH's fault by any means.  It's the dang contractor.  He keeps pushing us back and back and back.  It's driving me nuts!!!!!

We are waiting to find out gender on Monday.  If we are having a girl we will have more stuff then we will ever need for one baby.  DH's brother has two girls and they are done making babies so they want to unload all their stuff onto us.  He also has two co-workers that had girls that are done baby making and want to give us that stuff as well.

If that's the case we will most likely sort through it and give away what we won't need.  It will be nice to help another family in need.

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#36 of 36 Old 03-10-2011, 05:42 AM

For the most part, I am trying to buy less this time around.  The baby stores try to make you think you need to buy so many things, and it's just not true.  I wish I could tell these first-time parents:  stop worrying about choosing the perfect crib bumper, and use the time you saved to read a breastfeeding book. It would be time much better spent! 

I am wavering on buying a car seat. I have a car seat that is perfectly fine except for being eight years old.   I can't decide whether to heed the warnings about throwing out older car seats.  Are reasonable safety precautions or American consumerism rearing its ugly head, trying to force me to replace something that's perfectly functional?

I am planning soon to assess my cloth diaper supply and see what we need to buy.  I had A LOT of cloth diapers with DS, because we lived in an apartment with no washer or drier, and I wanted to space out the trips to the laundromat as far as possible.  But after years of use, a lot of my prefolds are just shredded now, and I know I'll need to buy some more.  I think the covers have stood the test of time better. 

There is one area where I've let consumerism run away with me and that's baby carriers.  There are so many of them and they're so cute!  I've now bought several -- a Baby K'tan for the early weeks, a short and long wrap, and a mei tai. 

DS (10/03), DD (11/05) and expecting a new one (July 2011)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page