Anyone else putting off buying baby stuff? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 01-29-2011, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I feel so overwhelmed when thinking about buying for baby! This is my third but I got rid of everything after DD thinking I was done. I know that the people I work with want to give me a shower and my friends outside of work told me once I know if it is a boy or girl they have some things for me. So far all I have is a co-sleeper and pack n play from a friend and one diaper. That isn't going to go too far! I don't know if I should wait until a baby shower or if I should start collecting a few things. 

#2 of 36 Old 01-29-2011, 12:40 PM

I'm in the same boat... pregnant with #3, thought #2 was my last, so I got rid of everything!  My MIL and mom are both super excited and wanting to go shopping- I'm not excited at all.  I'm hoping that after I find out the sex of the baby I'll feel more excited- then maybe it will feel more personal.  You're better off than I am- I have a onesie and a sling!

#3 of 36 Old 01-29-2011, 12:57 PM

This is my first baby but fifth child (DH came with four kids!) so I will have at least one shower. I'm not buying anything big until after that except for the crib. Although I'm reconsidering the crib now. My original plan was to buy a crib from IKEA and side car it to my side of the bed. Now I'm thinking about just moving our bed so that my side is up against the wall and just putting baby in the bed with us. We'll see about that though.

So far, from stuff I've had for my nieces and goddaughter and a few pieces that one of my friends has already loaned me, I have:

-convertible carseat

-bouncy/vibrating chair

-portable cradle

-Moby wrap

-nursing cover

-breast pump

-6 cloth diaper covers

-2 nightgowns

-8 onesies

-3 receiving blankets

-bottle warmer

-4 glass Dr. Brown's bottles

So I think that's a pretty good start. I'm having to refrain from buying anything so I'm spending my time getting my online registry set up and also looking for good bargains on gently used cloth diapers.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#4 of 36 Old 01-29-2011, 03:35 PM

We have an entire girls' wardrobe, since I've never gotten rid of any of her things... but I gave all of my boy things away about 6 months ago! Still, we're not planning on buying anything really except for new car seats (we'll pretty much have to replace the 2 bigger kids' seats and get a seat for baby, in order to fit 3 across the backseat of our little car). I have more slings than any one person could ever use, and I make my own cloth diapers, so there's really not a whole lot to buy unless we end up having a boy, and I'm hoping if that happens, one of my many friends with boys will help us out.

doula, wife to Dave ribbonyellow.gif, mom to Noah (5/14/06) superhero.gifand Faith (11/13/08) ribbonlime.gif (Gastroschisis Awareness) 127 days in the NICU, and 6 weeks thousands of miles from home, because of gastroschisis.  Expecting #3 2ndtri.gif July 2011! computergeek2.gif www.frugallynatural.org
#5 of 36 Old 01-29-2011, 04:57 PM

I have a diaper bag, 2 onesies, and a few cloth diapers...I should probably get started...

#6 of 36 Old 01-29-2011, 06:33 PM

Ha!  I do not have a single baby item.  I hardly have any maternity items! 

#7 of 36 Old 01-29-2011, 06:47 PM

i have not bought anything yet. i have some stuff left over from when my son was a baby but i haven't looked through it yet. i plan on buying a few kimono style shirts and a bunch of diapers and a new car seat and that's it. i may get a new woven wrap because i enjoy new ones and that would be fun and i may get some more felt fabric to put on the bed for extra pee protection but not sure. oh i plan to knit a silk new born hat for the baby with my own handspun yarn and i need to spin it and knit it still. and i want to weave a blanket for the baby.

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#8 of 36 Old 01-29-2011, 07:22 PM

I've bought nothing and am looking forward to buying nothing except a new carseat, but not necessarily for the baby.  This is my 5th and we pretty much have anything we could possibly need for a baby at this point.  We will need one more carseat, maybe 2 to make everything fit right, looking at the Radians so we can fit everyone.  Also looking at an infant carseat (we've always done Britax Decathalons/Marathons from birth) so that I can keep my current baby rear-facing longer and not make it impossible for my older girls to get to the back row of the van, as it would be with 2 big convertible RF carseats in the captains seats.  But in the end, baby may end up in one of the current carseats or one of the Radians or a borrowed infant seat or a new one, not totally sure what we're doing yet on that.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#9 of 36 Old 01-29-2011, 08:46 PM

DH and I agreed to buy one thing for the baby today since we had the elective gender scan. The baby was stubborn. We saw what we think were boy parts, but then we got some girly shots, too. Since I had some Kohl's cash that expired today I went ahead and used it for a gender neutral blanket. But that is the only thing we've bought for the baby. I'm supposed to have a repeat scan on Friday. I may buy a thing or two for the baby then, but I'm not sure if I will. I'm hesitant to believe I even have a faint chance of having a boy after all of my girls, and if I'm told definitely boy after today, I probably won't believe it until he's here. If it's a girl, I don't really have any reason to buy anything.

Charlize, married to DH 4/12/04. Mom to DD1 (4/2005) dust.gif, DD2 (3/2007) blowkiss.gif, and DD3 (10/2009) bouncy.gif, and DD4 (6/2011) energy.gif.

#10 of 36 Old 01-30-2011, 01:52 PM

The only thing we plan on buying thus far is a cloth diaper stash.  I've gotten about 10 diapes on Freecycle which was really neat.   There is a mom in my town that is selling her entire stash for $300--we're talking 60 or so items diapes, cover & wool soakers so I'm going to take her up on that.  Can't pass up a good deal when I see one.  Think we will hold off till the anatomy scan for the other stuff. 

We are currently undergoing a re-model and there would be nowhere to put baby stuff anyway.  We are currently using that room for storage until the kitchen is done.  If you ask me--it's not soon enough.  We are looking at an extended date of 2/11 so there should be plenty of time for fixing up baby's room.

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#11 of 36 Old 01-31-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlize View Post

DH and I agreed to buy one thing for the baby today since we had the elective gender scan. The baby was stubborn. We saw what we think were boy parts, but then we got some girly shots, too. Since I had some Kohl's cash that expired today I went ahead and used it for a gender neutral blanket. But that is the only thing we've bought for the baby. I'm supposed to have a repeat scan on Friday. I may buy a thing or two for the baby then, but I'm not sure if I will. I'm hesitant to believe I even have a faint chance of having a boy after all of my girls, and if I'm told definitely boy after today, I probably won't believe it until he's here. If it's a girl, I don't really have any reason to buy anything.

You never know.  I had 3 girls and then a boy.  But I had a very strong feeling that he was a boy and the anatomy scan was VERY convincing, lol.gif, there was really no question, so I was totally comfortable with buying things before he got here.  I'm kind of hoping to have another boy, but other than having a boy name that I feel is exactly the right name, I have no real premonition one way or the other this time.  

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#12 of 36 Old 01-31-2011, 08:14 PM

Sigh, the reality of the pregnancy sank in a while ago, but not of the actual, er, baby showing up one day hehee.  I can't feel the baby moving and I don't know the sex so I'm not even drawn to the baby section yet.  I just end up buying more stuff for DD instead eyesroll.gif

Mama to my cutie girlie luxlove.gif for 2 years and one on the way bouncy.gif (7/7/11)!
#13 of 36 Old 02-02-2011, 05:37 AM

I have the urge to get everything ready already, lol. But we are borrowing a crib and someone gave us a stroller they were getting rid of. In three weeks we find out what the gender is then I'm finishing the nursery. With my dd they fixed up the entire nursery when I was in the hospital (which I wish I had more say in) ...and I know I'm going to get tired the further I get along. I really just want to finish it and not have to worry about it anymore, lol. Any one else feeling this way?

#14 of 36 Old 02-02-2011, 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftyEarthMama View Post

I have the urge to get everything ready already, lol. But we are borrowing a crib and someone gave us a stroller they were getting rid of. In three weeks we find out what the gender is then I'm finishing the nursery. With my dd they fixed up the entire nursery when I was in the hospital (which I wish I had more say in) ...and I know I'm going to get tired the further I get along. I really just want to finish it and not have to worry about it anymore, lol. Any one else feeling this way?

This is how I feel also.  I'm doing the best I can to wait to buy the small stuff, but all the major stuff I want to get now.  I've been so driven to finish asap that really the only thing we still need is the dresser.  There are things I want (like new bedding and new blinds to match the nursery) but they're just wants.  We finished sooo late in the game last time that this time all I want to do is get the nursery and house ready. 

I do have to add though...Every time I think about buying something I feel kind of anxious.  Money definitely isn't as abundant as it was before DC1 so I'm not enjoying spending as much as I did last time.  I like it after I own it, but something about actually making the purchase, especially for the big things...I'm not too thrilled with.

ahhh to be able to think well enough to create a clever signature.sleeping.gif someday i will have enough sleep to accomplish this task...

Janae, mama to X (1/09) & X (7/11) and wife to J (since 9/96!)  Homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby (and toddler) wearing, co-sleeping, lactivist, intactivist. luxlove.gif

#15 of 36 Old 02-02-2011, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Someone just offered me a car seat! I also was offered two cribs and bedding if it is a boy and bedding for a girl. i never used a crib with my other two but I think I'll take one just in case (if nothing else I get a mattress for a toddler bed out of it). I think my main concerns now will be a wrap, sling, and dresser. I am going to see what I get at my baby shower first. My co-workers keeps telling me to wait for a baby shower so I think they are excited to have one.

#16 of 36 Old 02-06-2011, 10:29 AM

I have only recently started buying baby things. I got rid of everything after I had DS2 so, we are starting completely from scratch. So far, I have bought a package of the Gerber brand onesies (because I think they are the best shape for babies), however after I bought them I heard that onesies tend to not fit over cloth diapers eyesroll.gif oops.

A diaper bag I love from Craigslist and a wool piddle pad to put on our mattress that we will eventually put in the crib when baby moves to that.

The things I have bought are because they were great deals on items that I needed (Well, except the onesies). The next thing I want to work on is getting our diaper stash going. I have started relearning to knit so, I can make some wool covers and longies. I am trying to plan and pace the spending so, we don't get to the end of the pregnancy and have to drop a bunch of money at one time.

Wifey buddamomimg1.png to DH jammin.gif, Mama chicken3.gif to DS 8, DS 6, DD 1

homeschool.gif   lactivist.gif    h20homebirth.gif    goorganic.jpg

#17 of 36 Old 02-06-2011, 03:58 PM

I really don't have anything to buy. We saved everything from both kids except stuff we didn't like, so I have TONS of stuff. I did go ahead and buy a couple outfits for each gender (since we aren't finding out) from a consignment sale so the baby can have his/her own "coming home" outfit.

The only things I WANT to buy for this baby:

-there is a baby toy that a friend of mine had for her son that I have loved since I 1st saw it. I have not been able to find it yet, but if I do, I'm buying it.

-if this baby is as poor of a sleeper as my other 2 have been, and I am unable to keep them asleep/transfer them when they fall asleep in the car, I am getting one of those things that you place the bucket seat into and it rocks it. I hold my babies ALL THE TIME and wear them tons, will be co-sleeping etc etc. If getting this thing will help baby get more sleep and the house be less stressful, I don't care how un-AP it is. (I have heard some mamas ripping on this exact item before, so I feel a wee bit defensive about it, LOL)

Since I am also secretly hoping that this baby will be a bit more easy-going and I will be able to actually lay him/her down once in a while, I may get a moses basket, or see if I can borrow one from a friend. But I'm not holding my breath, LOL.

Kelly, wife to DH, mom to Caden Reese (10-2-06), Tessa Brynn (12-26-08 ), and Maddox Quinn (7-16-11). Fur-mama to Finnegan, Ripley, Raisin (my little kitty amputee) and Kimchi. 748/2011, 2028/2012-I did it!! 2023/2013-Again!!! 404/2014
#18 of 36 Old 02-08-2011, 04:30 PM

I've been thinking about a Britax right away too- I was a little ticked when #2 grew out of the "infant carrier" at 3 1/2 months.  On the other hand, the Marathon I bought next lasted until she was ready for a booster.  Any one else have experience with this?  Pros/cons?

#19 of 36 Old 02-08-2011, 06:17 PM

I have a good stash of gender neutral newborn clothing, I purchased a few things I saw on sale but otherwise we don't need a whole lot in the newborn department. I may get a few preemie outfits since my babies tend to not fit in their clothing right away. We're mostly set for girl clothing since DD was born in May, we don't have anything in the right sizes/season for a boy, however. I found some gender neutral stuff on Gap that I like so I may get a few things in larger sizes. 

As far as gear I have a Babyhawk, Moby, and a Beco and I'd like to get a Bali Breeze wrap. I've owned a crib for all of 6 months and it was more trouble than it was worth so we won't be bothering with one this time since we just co-sleep anyway until they transition into their own beds. I may get some type of swing, we already have a Baby Bjorn bouncy seat. I saw a neat bath seat that I might get called a Puj tub. We'll be using a First Years True Fit for this baby. Otherwise I think we're pretty set for baby stuff. 

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#20 of 36 Old 02-08-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hembry View Post

I've been thinking about a Britax right away too- I was a little ticked when #2 grew out of the "infant carrier" at 3 1/2 months.  On the other hand, the Marathon I bought next lasted until she was ready for a booster.  Any one else have experience with this?  Pros/cons?

Britax seats are notorious for having harness slots that are too high for most newborns. I've heard that some of the newer seats have lower slots but I honestly haven't done any research on it since I've found other seats that I prefer over Britax. My DD couldn't fit in a Roundabout safely until 4 months. The only pro for me with an infant seat is being able to load the baby into their seat in the house and snapping them in more quickly when dealing with my other kids getting into their car seats but I really don't think it'll be that much of an issue, especially if our next house has an attached garage like we have now. I know a lot of people like infant seats for cold weather but I used a convertible from birth for DS who was very small during cold weather and it wasn't a problem. 

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#21 of 36 Old 02-08-2011, 08:41 PM

Gah! I haven't purchased anything! I do plan on making several things, but I'm going to wait until we find out the sex.

#22 of 36 Old 02-09-2011, 04:41 AM

We haven't bought anything yet! This is our first and we really are trying to sort out what we actually *need* to buy versus what we just think would be neat to have. Plus we're waiting until the baby showers happen before buying much. My mother will be purchasing our crib and our car seat once she comes to visit in May, so at this point we're just waiting. It'll probably be spring before I really feel the urge to buy much!

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

Owned by Friesians and Drum Horses, plus the dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens

#23 of 36 Old 02-10-2011, 10:21 AM

We haven't bought anything yet either.  I'm having a hard time deciding what we need.  This is our first and I have no idea what we really need.  I'm thinking a car seat, a baby carrier, cloth diapers and wipes, and a crib that I can use as a co-sleeper.  I can't decide if I need a breast pump and I don't feel like I'll know until the baby is here.  I don't think I'll need to worry about clothes since this is the first grand baby on my side and my mom is over the moon about it and already going a little nuts. 

Maybe I'm delusional though... Do I need more stuff?  I honestly can't think of anything that we really need. 

#24 of 36 Old 02-10-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugglesmom View Post

We haven't bought anything yet either. I'm having a hard time deciding what we need. This is our first and I have no idea what we really need. I'm thinking a car seat, a baby carrier, cloth diapers and wipes, and a crib that I can use as a co-sleeper. I can't decide if I need a breast pump and I don't feel like I'll know until the baby is here. I don't think I'll need to worry about clothes since this is the first grand baby on my side and my mom is over the moon about it and already going a little nuts.

Maybe I'm delusional though... Do I need more stuff? I honestly can't think of anything that we really need.

Nah. Better to have too little than too much. It is amazing how quickly you accumulate "stuff" once the baby is born. I say just have the very basics because if you find you need something after the fact, it's not that hard to run out and get it then!

We have bought nothing so far. All we really need is a car seat, (which grandmother is buying us!) a few more newborn size diapers & flannel wipes, and gender neutral thin t-shirts since it'll be hot in July and DS was a cold weather baby. I'll get those at a consignment sale. Ooh maybe a few newborn socks too.

Baby #2 is so much easier to plan for! smile.gif Really all I think we'll need besides the car seat and those few little items is milky boobs. (Check!)
#25 of 36 Old 02-12-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Katie~ View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hembry View Post

Britax seats are notorious for having harness slots that are too high for most newborns. I've heard that some of the newer seats have lower slots but I honestly haven't done any research on it since I've found other seats that I prefer over Britax. My DD couldn't fit in a Roundabout safely until 4 months. The only pro for me with an infant seat is being able to load the baby into their seat in the house and snapping them in more quickly when dealing with my other kids getting into their car seats but I really don't think it'll be that much of an issue, especially if our next house has an attached garage like we have now. I know a lot of people like infant seats for cold weather but I used a convertible from birth for DS who was very small during cold weather and it wasn't a problem. 

The Next Generation Britax seats have harness positions that are 1.5 inches lower than the older "classic" models. We are getting the Advocate CS 70 and this is after a lot of research. I plan I utilizing the Advocate from birth until the seat expires (which is 6 years) and since it is good to 49" I am confident that we will be able to (My now almost 7 year old is 47").

Wifey buddamomimg1.png to DH jammin.gif, Mama chicken3.gif to DS 8, DS 6, DD 1

homeschool.gif   lactivist.gif    h20homebirth.gif    goorganic.jpg

#26 of 36 Old 02-13-2011, 09:38 AM

Well, I finally caved and bought some baby things wink1.gif A couple of onesies from Babies r Us while we were looking at car seats. And we found the stroller I think we'll end up getting. Being on a farm sure limits our stroller options. I need a 4 wheel drive stroller! I couldn't believe how expensive they are - i gues that shows my ignorance as to the cost of baby things! Oh well. It makes everything seem a little bit more real to have a few pieces of baby clothing around the house.

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

Owned by Friesians and Drum Horses, plus the dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens

#27 of 36 Old 02-13-2011, 08:22 PM

I have bought tons of stuff already! This is our first baby, so we didn't have anything except for a few pieces of clothes and a bouncer seat that were hand-me-downs from a family I used to nanny for. 

I made a spreadsheet of things we need immediately (car seat, cloth diapers, sling, etc) and things we'll need a little later (high chair, stroller, jogging stroller, etc). We've made a dent in both lists, although I'm trying to restrict my purchases to the immediate needs list. But, we've come across a few deals that were too good to pass up on items from the second list, so we have an UppaBaby Vista stroller from a baby boutique closing sale and a BOB jogging stroller off Craigslist! 

We got the Britax Chaperone infant car seat, a car seat mat, a Boppy pillow, one wearable blanket, and lots of gender-neutral baby clothes (we aren't finding out the baby's sex). I've bought a few clothing items in stores, but I just ordered a bunch of organic clothes online. I get so sick of looking at the "Made in China" origin labels of all the baby clothes and wondering how toxic they are! It's really hard to find quality baby clothes. 

We have also purchased a crib that was a floor model in a baby store in Scottsdale, but we have to go back and pick it up later. We are now on the search for a good organic mattress and crib bedding. 

I'm hoping I get some good stuff off my BabyEarth registry at my showers, but I'm not counting on it. I know from experience that most people who go to baby showers just buy you what they want you to have (i.e., whatever they thought was cute). I think that's especially true if your registry is online.

I guess now I need to get those cloth diapers and a sling!

#28 of 36 Old 02-14-2011, 11:31 AM

This is our 5th baby in less than 10yrs, so we have more than enough stuff already.  The u/s looked like it's another boy, third in a row, so he won't be hurting for clothes.  We cloth diaper, so that's taken care of.  I have to many slings and wraps already, so no way I can justify buying anymore of those:)  The only thing I can think of we need is a dresser, but ods has been wanting a captains bed so we may just get him that and give the baby his dresser.

#29 of 36 Old 02-14-2011, 05:10 PM

For anyone who is interested in buying organic clothing and bedding for your baby, check out www.KidBean.com. I just got five outfits on clearance! :D

#30 of 36 Old 03-04-2011, 04:25 PM

We have a few things we picked up on a weekend trip to the outlets before we found out that we were having a baby girl. My shower is only a month away so I'm trying to behave until then, and after that we'll go over our list and choose what things are important to buy. I would love to load up on cute baby stuff but I'm trying to wait since I don't know what people will get me. I mean, I have a registry, but I remember how that worked when I was getting married - some people just buy whatever anyway.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page