This book changed the way I think about birth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 02-02-2011, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

With my first I had a natural birth (not on purpose just waited wayyy too long to go to the hospital and 20 minutes later DD was born). 

So I thought if I did it once I can do it this time around too. So I picked up a copy of "ina may's guide to childbirth" and its AMAZING.

Have any of you read it? Any thoughts or other books to suggest?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 02-02-2011, 07:16 AM

I love Ina May!!

Here are a few great ones I've read:
Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer
Birthing From Within
Active Birth by Janet Balaskas
#3 of 26 Old 02-02-2011, 10:15 AM

LOVE Ina May's Book. Her guide to childbirth really struck a chord with me. She has another book (Spiritual Midwifery) which I also liked alot.

The Birth Partner is also a great book with lots of ideas for how someone (doula, partner, family member) can help the birthing mom.

Heart & Hands by Elizabeth Davis is more from the midwife perspective but I enjoyed the in depth info it contained.

winner.jpgFormer WIC Peer Breastfeeding Counselor (2005-2011) now SAHM to bouncy.gif DD (8/2003), thumbsuck.gif DD (8/2008homebirth.jpg ), mate to jammin.gif since 07/2000. Expecting Baby Roo Mid July 2011!  stork-suprise.gifcd.gif

#4 of 26 Old 02-02-2011, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

i'm totally looking these books up now! I've been tempted to find a doula (after reading ina mays book). 

#5 of 26 Old 02-03-2011, 01:48 AM

I love the book!

Barbara, Mama to Isabel (06/2004), Jake (08/2006-03/2007), Noah (01/2008), and Matteo (07/2011) 
Please always research the safety of vaccines even if your doctor tells you they are harmless! novaxnocirc.gif

#6 of 26 Old 02-03-2011, 04:50 PM

I want to read it. 

I read her Spiritual Midwifery when I was pregnant with #2, and it led to an unassisted childbirth that was awesome! 
I'll be buying it again for this pregnancy. :) I gave it to my sister when she got prego, but I don't think she appreciated it, ha. 

#7 of 26 Old 02-04-2011, 04:14 PM

I love that book!  I'll have to get it out and read it again:)

#8 of 26 Old 02-05-2011, 01:06 PM

Some of my favorite books (and ones I recommend to clients, not including those already listed)-

-Natural Childbirth, the Bradley Way
-Hypnobirthing, the Mongan Method (comes with a CD that's great if you have trouble sleeping!) If it works for you, I strongly recommend looking into Hypnobabies for a class or the homestudy
-Orgasmic Birth (read it, it's not about sex!)
-The Birth Book, by Dr. Sears
-The Pregnancy Book, also by Sears
-Your Best Birth
-Voices: VBAC Women Share Their Journey

doula, wife to Dave ribbonyellow.gif, mom to Noah (5/14/06) superhero.gifand Faith (11/13/08) ribbonlime.gif (Gastroschisis Awareness) 127 days in the NICU, and 6 weeks thousands of miles from home, because of gastroschisis.  Expecting #3 2ndtri.gif July 2011! computergeek2.gif www.frugallynatural.org
#9 of 26 Old 02-05-2011, 04:21 PM

I also loved spirital midwifery (just the first section about the births).  It was so great to see all these families kissing and celebrating the birth process:)  Really inspiring for my future homebirth (although I think it would be helpful for natural hospital birth too).

Others I gained alot from have already been mentioned:)  They were the bradley method book and birthing from within (loved the terminology of switiching c-section to a belly birth:)

#10 of 26 Old 02-06-2011, 09:45 AM

I'm reading Birthing from Within right now and really like it.

Crystal

mom to two boys (9/19/98) (8/24/03) and soon to be # 3 (7/2/11)

#11 of 26 Old 02-09-2011, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I love Ina May's childbirth book! I'm reading her breastfeeding book now. 

I have also read the following books that I recommend: 

The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer

The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin (for my husband, but I read it too and found it very worthwhile)

Pushed by Jennifer Block (if you want to know the research behind natural childbirth vs. hospital interventions)

The Baby Catcher: Chronicles of a Modern Midwife by Peggy Vincent (very enjoyable autobiographical book of birth stories from a Bay area midwife that is also informative)

The Complete Book of Pregnancy and Childbirth by Sheila Kitzinger

The Natural Pregnancy Book by Aviva Jill Romm

Birthing from Within by Pam England (not very informative, but helpful for examining your fears and attitudes)

Enjoy your reading!

#12 of 26 Old 02-09-2011, 01:42 PM

Also, I've seen the documentary based on the Orgasmic Birth book, and it's very good. It features Ina May and Christine Northrup, among others.

Another good documentary is The Business of Being Born, which discusses the medical/insurance/legal side of birth in the U.S. and the reasons that doctors perform so many unnecessary interventions. It highlights the differences between home births and hospital births. 

#13 of 26 Old 02-09-2011, 02:37 PM

I loved The Business of Being Born.  This was the film that convinced my hubby to get on board with homebirth!  He actually saw it before I did and said he now saw my perspective.

I'd love to see or read the Orgasmic Birth.  It's on my list.

I loved reading the stories of birth in Ina May's Guide to Childbirthing.  I think I cried every few pages they were so beautiful.

#14 of 26 Old 02-14-2011, 06:17 PM

Oh, another fun book is Origins by Annie Murphy Paul. It's not about childbirth, but about how what happens during pregnancy influences the life of the child later on. It discusses nutrition, illness, blood sugar, weather, emotions/depression, and lots of interesting things. I really enjoyed it.

#15 of 26 Old 02-15-2011, 11:10 AM

Thanks for your suggestion.  Just Netflixed Orgasmic Birth, and watched it with my husband.  I had a pit-induced, vacuum assisted birth of DD, and after this video, my husband said what I already knew--that the "emergency" that necessitated the vacuum (and the use of pit) probably caused that "emergency."  (he also said he'd be on board with any birth option I chose for this pregnancy--this is a guy who before my first pregnancy thought formula was perfectly fine, couldn't imagine why anyone would sleep with their kid, and thought a stroller was just fine.)  It was wonderful to watch the home births, and the comparison to the snippets of hospital births, which were presented without commentary, but the message was loud and clear on its own.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBrockBaca View Post

Also, I've seen the documentary based on the Orgasmic Birth book, and it's very good. It features Ina May and Christine Northrup, among others.

Another good documentary is The Business of Being Born, which discusses the medical/insurance/legal side of birth in the U.S. and the reasons that doctors perform so many unnecessary interventions. It highlights the differences between home births and hospital births. 

Mom to D-Dog (4/05), DD (9/08), and expecting a baby boy in July (edd 7/7/11).

#16 of 26 Old 02-18-2011, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melinstar View Post

Thanks for your suggestion.  Just Netflixed Orgasmic Birth, and watched it with my husband.  I had a pit-induced, vacuum assisted birth of DD, and after this video, my husband said what I already knew--that the "emergency" that necessitated the vacuum (and the use of pit) probably caused that "emergency."  (he also said he'd be on board with any birth option I chose for this pregnancy--this is a guy who before my first pregnancy thought formula was perfectly fine, couldn't imagine why anyone would sleep with their kid, and thought a stroller was just fine.)  It was wonderful to watch the home births, and the comparison to the snippets of hospital births, which were presented without commentary, but the message was loud and clear on its own.

Quote:

If you liked the movie, you should really read the book. I watched the movie right before I attended an advanced doula training with Debra Pascali-Bonaro (co-author of the book and maker of the film), and read the book after the training. The book is much more in-depth and really great. I am planning to read it again in the next couple of weeks (DH has to be gone for a couple of weeks for military training, so I figure I can read it again while he's gone). After I read it the first time, I really truly believed that this birth could be a wonderful, peaceful orgasmic birth, and I want to make sure I stay in that frame of mind :)

doula, wife to Dave ribbonyellow.gif, mom to Noah (5/14/06) superhero.gifand Faith (11/13/08) ribbonlime.gif (Gastroschisis Awareness) 127 days in the NICU, and 6 weeks thousands of miles from home, because of gastroschisis.  Expecting #3 2ndtri.gif July 2011! computergeek2.gif www.frugallynatural.org
#17 of 26 Old 02-22-2011, 02:22 PM

Ina May's spirtual midwifery and guide to childbirth have been my constant bed-side companions since I found out I was pregnant.  Whenever I feel fearful or unsure I read the birth stores and it makes me feel so much better, like YES I can do this, my body was made to do this. 

My other nightly read is Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way by Susan McCutcheon.  My husband and I are taking Bradley classes and I actually prefer this book to the workbook we were given in class.   I think The Birth Partner would be a great book for my husband to look at.  He has been expressing his concerns about what he will be able to do for me in labor when there are going to be a bunch of women around helping me. We are planning a homebirth with a midwife, mw assistant and doula.

I read Peggy Vincent's The Baby Catcher - a quick read, I really enjoyed.

I'm also planning to work through Birthing from Within to get my mind in a good place in the weeks leading up to the actual birth.  The birth labrinth and birth art I think will be really helpful to me.

Another movie we watched but I did not see mentioned  here was Birth of a Family,  not sure if you can get that on netflix or not. I borrowed it from a friend. It shows the 4 homebirths of a family in Maine.  It really helped my husband understand how the birth experience profoundly effects not just the mother but also the father.

Mom to Brodrick born on the 4th of July , 7/4/11.    h20homebirth.gif   nocirc.gif fuzmalesling.gif familybed1.gif Love my husband of 3 years.   treehugger.gif Workin' mamma looking for a way out of the corporate world.

#18 of 26 Old 02-22-2011, 02:33 PM

I loved Spiritual Midwifery and a ton of the others listed!

One that I didn't see listed was one called "Birthing the Easy Way--by someone who learned the hard way". It gives a ton of FUN analogies and statistics, and is super funny and easy to read. :)

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#19 of 26 Old 02-28-2011, 03:00 PM

Does anyone have any more info on the Movie Birth of a Family?  I keep getting hits for a korean comedy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebegreen View Post

Ina May's spirtual midwifery and guide to childbirth have been my constant bed-side companions since I found out I was pregnant.  Whenever I feel fearful or unsure I read the birth stores and it makes me feel so much better, like YES I can do this, my body was made to do this. 

My other nightly read is Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way by Susan McCutcheon.  My husband and I are taking Bradley classes and I actually prefer this book to the workbook we were given in class.   I think The Birth Partner would be a great book for my husband to look at.  He has been expressing his concerns about what he will be able to do for me in labor when there are going to be a bunch of women around helping me. We are planning a homebirth with a midwife, mw assistant and doula.

I read Peggy Vincent's The Baby Catcher - a quick read, I really enjoyed.

I'm also planning to work through Birthing from Within to get my mind in a good place in the weeks leading up to the actual birth.  The birth labrinth and birth art I think will be really helpful to me.

Another movie we watched but I did not see mentioned  here was Birth of a Family,  not sure if you can get that on netflix or not. I borrowed it from a friend. It shows the 4 homebirths of a family in Maine.  It really helped my husband understand how the birth experience profoundly effects not just the mother but also the father.

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF

#20 of 26 Old 03-01-2011, 11:36 AM

Birth of a Family

http://www.midwiferytoday.com/merchant2/merchant.mv?Store_Code=MT&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=09VBF

Mom to Brodrick born on the 4th of July , 7/4/11.    h20homebirth.gif   nocirc.gif fuzmalesling.gif familybed1.gif Love my husband of 3 years.   treehugger.gif Workin' mamma looking for a way out of the corporate world.

#21 of 26 Old 03-03-2011, 02:18 PM

Location: Basking In the Chaos of 4 Small Children Who Call Me Mom

I Just Ordered

Husband-Coached Childbirth (Fifth Edition): The Bradley Method of Natural Childbirth by Dr. Bradley.

I couldn't stop reading the little excerpts on Amazon! Can't wait to get it and my Husband says he will read it too!

I Also Just read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. Loved it. Lots of Good Tips and Tricks and Mind sets.

Also have A Water Birth Book from my Midwife that I need to read as soon as I can get some time alone (In the bath with candle-light)

Loved the 'Business of being Born'!!! SO GOOD! Watch it over and over all the time on Netflix instant Watch.

Didn't Like so much 'Pregnant in America'

Brittanyfly-by-nursing2.gif Wife to Cedricblowkiss.gif (heartbeat.gif4-9-05heartbeat.gif) Mommy to: Gideon Edmundsuperhero.gifG.E.M.(2-1-07)stillheart.gif

Miscarried Isabelle Aurora2ndtri.gif I.A.M. (12-12-08) Lorelei Ariahwool.gifL.A.M.(1-14-10)stillheart.gif  Youtube.com/user/murillomania

Tabitha Ivy Esperanza babyf.gifT.I.E.M.(7-17-11) My First h20homebirth.gif  stillheart.gifPhineas Alexander Lyric babyboy.gifP.A.L.M.(3-30-13) rainbow1284.gifuc.jpg

#22 of 26 Old 03-04-2011, 06:25 AM

I'm currently reading INa May's Guide to Childbirth, DH is reading Husband Coached Childbirth.

I'm a bit afraid to watch The BUsiness of Being Born. I think the books leave me in apositive state of mind, I'm concerned that watching the visuals will leave me scared instead of empowered!

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

Owned by Friesians and Drum Horses, plus the dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens

#23 of 26 Old 03-04-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melinstar View Post

Quote:

Wait! What's bad about strollers? Not being snarky, I really want to know. (Sorry to hijack thread.)

#24 of 26 Old 03-05-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meagsm View Post

Wait! What's bad about strollers? Not being snarky, I really want to know. (Sorry to hijack thread.)

I think she's talking about baby wearing and probably AP'ing.  I dont use a stroller except when I exercising I use a jogging stroller and I have an umbrella stroller for the rare occasion that I go to the mall and for grandma to use.  Other than that, DS is, and has been since birth, either in a wrap, a ring sling, or an Ergo. I cant imagine trying to put DS in the seat of the grocery cart!  He'd try to grab everything and climb out and I'd never get any shopping done.  At least with him on my back I know how far he can reach.  just my 2cents.gif

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF

#25 of 26 Old 03-05-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meagsm View Post

I'm interested to hear more about this too! I'm thinking maybe it goes along with using a car seat to carry baby around versus child wearing? If so, I'm thinking to some extent it depends on your situation.

We live on a farm and raise horses - come August and more so in September, I'll be preparing horses for our yearly inspection. I'll be using a stroller for baby (outside the ring) while I'm in the ring with the horses. Other than that, I'll be babywearing, but I would not want to put my baby in the line of fire while working with young and sometimes excitable (read: stupid) horses. I've been charged, knocked down, and jumped on quite enough times to rule that out right now! lol.gif

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

Owned by Friesians and Drum Horses, plus the dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens

#26 of 26 Old 03-05-2011, 04:16 PM

"Pushed" by Jennifer Block.  Really easy to read and very well researched.  It prompted a great conversation with my OB about my planned hospital birth.

Semi-crunchy Momma to a 4 year old girl and a baby girl born in July of 2011.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page