question for homebirth mamas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-06-2011, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Would it work to deliver in a hot tub?  We have a hot tub that hasnt been used in years but if we got it working would it work to just fill it with clean water for the birthday?

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF

#2 of 9 Old 02-06-2011, 09:51 PM

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Jsut might be difficult to clean afterward if you actually give birth in the tub.

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#3 of 9 Old 02-06-2011, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisheva View Post

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Jsut might be difficult to clean afterward if you actually give birth in the tub.

That would be the goal I think.  We have a jetted tub in the bathroom and it  was great for labor but couldnt stand (obviously).  But I have NO idea what goes into a homebirth so what does happen afterward?

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF

#4 of 9 Old 02-06-2011, 10:55 PM

Location: Basking In the Chaos of 4 Small Children Who Call Me Mom

There are a lot of helpful posts on Waterbirth and Home birth in the designated sites on here.

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/list/20

The afterbirth as well as any blood will come out in the water. it's generally suggested to get out as soon as possible so to gauge how much blood loss there is because it is difficult to tell in water. You might want to look into getting some sort of liner for the hot tub just to save your self (or someone else rather) the work of cleaning it out, especially if it is the kind with jets. But I have seen mamas give birth in their hot tubs in videos, and it sure does look cozy and nice! So Hope it works for you.

Brittanyfly-by-nursing2.gif Wife to Cedricblowkiss.gif (heartbeat.gif4-9-05heartbeat.gif) Mommy to: Gideon Edmundsuperhero.gifG.E.M.(2-1-07)stillheart.gif

Miscarried Isabelle Aurora2ndtri.gif I.A.M. (12-12-08) Lorelei Ariahwool.gifL.A.M.(1-14-10)stillheart.gif  Youtube.com/user/murillomania

Tabitha Ivy Esperanza babyf.gifT.I.E.M.(7-17-11) My First h20homebirth.gif  stillheart.gifPhineas Alexander Lyric babyboy.gifP.A.L.M.(3-30-13) rainbow1284.gifuc.jpg

#5 of 9 Old 02-07-2011, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

but what's getting in the jets?  The bloody water?  Of all the deliveries I see aside from blood and some occasional BM there isn't too much "chunky" stuff.  I've never had a hot tub and have no idea how they work either, so maybe it's a no-no to have anything but clear water going through it? 

Thanks for the homebirth link.  I haven't done much exploring on MDC I guess.

#6 of 9 Old 02-07-2011, 11:34 AM

To clean the tub after the birth the birth center I used to work at used to run the bath with jets on for 30 min or so with a full bath plus some bleach and some dishwashing powder in it in order to clean it all. They had to do testing every so often to make sure the jets were clean and there was never a problem.  HTH 

CarrieCo likes this.

Married to my high school sweetheart (15years), Mamma to 3 boyspeace.gif (2000), whistling.gif(2003), blahblah.gif (2007) and growing a new little one stork-suprise.gif due late July 2011. 
#7 of 9 Old 02-07-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamahen2coop View Post

but what's getting in the jets?  The bloody water?  Of all the deliveries I see aside from blood and some occasional BM there isn't too much "chunky" stuff.  I've never had a hot tub and have no idea how they work either, so maybe it's a no-no to have anything but clear water going through it? 

Thanks for the homebirth link.  I haven't done much exploring on MDC I guess.

Um, at both my births I have pooped in the water bag.gif obviously not by choice... I will *not* be giving birth in the pool this time though I will labor there till I feel like pushing. Ick.

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#8 of 9 Old 02-08-2011, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

good input!  I labored in the tub until only 5cm and getting out to go to the hospital was definitely not fun!

#9 of 9 Old 02-08-2011, 07:11 AM

We haven't had too much yuck with my waterbirths. I've never had a BM while pushing. Little fish tank nets can be used for cleaning out solids. Normally after that first initial gush from the placenta detaching I get out to deliver the placenta so there isn't too much blood in the water, and there's vernix of course. There should be a way to sanitize it, it sounds like the previous suggestion to clean with bleach is a good one. The only thing I'd suggest is cleaning it well before use because hot tubs that sit for a long time can sometimes get mold in the jets. With my births we've used both an aquadoula and a la bassine and both require a liner. After the birth they pumped the water out and into the bathtub and then dragged the liner in the bathtub to finish cleaning up.  

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page