Migraines, headaches, and generally wanting to murder people - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-07-2011, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

So I thought the 2nd trimester was supposed to be all sunshine and roses.

I have the worst headaches and I am sorry but i could drown myself in tylenol and it doesn't do a damn thing.

On top of it I keep getting these migraines that put me in bed for 14 hours. This doesn't work when you have a job, 2 year old and are a grad school student. Can I do nothing? Just suffer?

Plus I hate everyone. I dream of running over people in my car when they cut me off, have visions of "accidentally" kicking my partner in her gut while she is sleeping because she can actually sleep. Pretty much the only person i don't hate is my kid. (which is good)

Anyone else heinous and mean and in pain currently or am I the only nutso perosn on the block?

hippie.gifborn in the wrong era. Madly in love with my DH. Mama to my Beatles boys; L (6) and H (2). 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2011, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not mean yet but I'm entering week 3 of little to no sleep so it could be just around the corner! I feel you on the pain. I don't have migraines but I definitely feel jipped that the second trimester isn't living up to it's reputation. I think I probably had 1 good week before all my various problems started.

The first week, I developed achilles tendonitis for no apparent reason. This would flare up at it's worst in the middle of the night keeping me awake for 2-3 hours. So I would get about 4 good hours of sleep, then be woken up for 2-3 hours and then doze on and off until it was time to get up for work. Once that started to resolve itself after a week or so, I developed heartburn from hell. That would leave me moaning, tossing and turning all night long so I basically didn't get a good chunk of sleep just dozed through the night. Once I got both of those straightened out, I developed the cold that I currently have. Even with sleeping with a humidifier practically underneath me, I am only able to sleep for 2-3 hours at a time if I'm lucky. I can't even nap during the day because I wake up coughing or my throat hurts or my head hurts or I have to pee. Finally this morning, when I woke up at 4:30 AM with throbbing headache, I decided that it was o.k. if I didn't fall back asleep, I just needed the headache to be gone by the time I needed to start getting ready for the day. That relieved some stress and I was able to rest until 7.

I wonder what my next fun pregnancy symptom will be once the cold is gone?

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Old 02-07-2011, 07:44 AM

I certainly have the "generally wanting to murder people" thing down :) I envision  myself much thinner and much more spry than I currently am and just drop kicking people left and right for being generally obnoxious,lol.

Lisa, Mama to two 2-26-09 and 6-15-11

"Hey baby, do you like trains?"

Old 02-07-2011, 01:14 PM

I don't feel angry but I do feel incredibly weepy.  This is my first babe so I know part of it is feeling overwhelmed by all the newness of it.  This weekend I went to a local natural baby store to look at cloth diapers.  I was so overwhelmed I ended up crying all the way home and basically the rest of the day until my hubby got home so I could vent to him about what a terrible mother I'm going to be because I can't even pick out diapers.  In retrospect it seems a little silly...  I seem to have an episode like this about every week now so that's awesome.

The headaches, UGH!!  I've had them so bad since the beginning and I don't generally get headaches at all (unless I imbibe a little too muchwink1.gif).  Nothing was helping at all.  My midwife suggested I see an acupuncturist.  So far it's helped a ton!!  I've been going twice a week for the last month or so and I'm going to cut down to once a week this month because it's helped so much.  We have a community acupuncturist near our house so it's pretty cheap (sliding fee scale $15-30)and you don't need an appointment.  I highly recommend it! 

Now if I could just sleep through the night without getting up 5 times to pee!

Old 02-07-2011, 01:25 PM

I've been getting headaches lately, but I think it's weather related.  We've had our fair share of bad weather.  Plus, I just got a cold, which is really rare for me.  I usually never get colds.  My immune system must be taking a plunge right now. 

I have had crazy emotions lately.  I cried last week because DH went to work.  Uh, yeah... he goes to work 5 days a week, but that day I just didn't want him to leave.  lol.  I've also been biting people's heads off.  This is partially due to hormones, but mostly due to lack of sleep.  I'm awake every morning from 2 am until 4 am.  I just can't sleep during that 2 hour block.  Then I get up for the day at 6 or 6:30.  It's driving me insane!

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

Old 02-07-2011, 06:10 PM

Oh, headaches.  I think I've had a headache every single day of this pregnancy (my first).  I suffered with migraines before I became pregnant and took Imitrex for them.  I had to... they were debilitating.  But I can't take anything but Tylenol now (which, as you know, does NOTHING).  Here are my new migraine remedies:

Peppermint aromatherapy

Cold or hot compress

Head/neck/foot massage by hubby

Caffeine

Chocolate or sugar

If you are a person that doesn't mind taking class C medicine, I've heard good things about Butalbital.... I think it is tylenol with a mild tranquilizer and caffeine. I took it pre-pregnancy for stress headaches and it was great.  But I don't like taking class C meds. 

Hope you feel better soon!  (Oh, and yes I totally hate the guy in the office next door)

Old 02-08-2011, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

just hearing about all your misery makes me feel slightly better. Sad huh?

I actually got prescribed Butalbital, I keep staring at the bottle because it looks so amazing. I have yet to take them, I don't like taking class C either. I feel like the baby will come out with 33 heads but one of these days I might give in.

I had a HUGE fight with my partner last night, I hate everything she does right now. The way she walks, talks, eats, sleeps. I really think she is afraid of me. which really irritates me too. Having 2 hormonal women in one house is ROUGH

hippie.gifborn in the wrong era. Madly in love with my DH. Mama to my Beatles boys; L (6) and H (2). 
Old 02-08-2011, 12:59 PM

I had horrible morning sickness until a week ago and a terrible headache all weekend. I always feel so bad taking anything as I am already on Zoloft, thyroid meds, Lovenox and baby aspirin. But I took the same combo with my DS and he came out happy (I wonder why ;-) and with one head only.

So you might be worried for no reason. Have you checked on www.motherisk.org - this is my go to place for meds safety. I hope you will get better and wanting to kill other is (at least in my case) directly related to the pain I am feeling and the fact that I am the one who has to endure it.

Barbara, Mama to Isabel (06/2004), Jake (08/2006-03/2007), Noah (01/2008), and Matteo (07/2011) 
Please always research the safety of vaccines even if your doctor tells you they are harmless! novaxnocirc.gif

Old 02-15-2011, 06:28 AM

Ive got the headaches too! I get them before bed and right when I wake up. I think I might not be drinking enough water.

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

Old 02-15-2011, 08:29 AM

I definitely am channeling the generally wanting to murder people vibe today.  I could just freaking scream! 

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

Old 02-15-2011, 08:32 PM

I'm so sorry for all of you who are sick! I had allergy/sinus problems last week, but I started using Flonase nasal spray again, and I got a neti pot, and I am pretty much 100% better. The Flonase usually takes a few weeks to kick in, so I think it might actually be the neti pot that is helping. I definitely recommend it if your symptoms are allergy/sinus related. 

As for wanting to murder people, I did have a few moments of extreme anger today at the gym when someone turned the fan off...

Old 02-19-2011, 08:14 AM

How are you guys feeling?

I seem to be happy as a clam when I am home and a nasty horrible monster when I leave, so I am just taking it easy around the house today.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:07 AM

Still bitter and evil here.  I've been a generally crabby person for the past week.  This is partially related to politics however so it's not entirely hormonal.  lol.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:53 AM

Are you in Wisconsin? :)

Old 02-19-2011, 03:31 PM

Indeed I am!  Thanks to the news and my hormones, I'm having wild dreams every night about protesters, unions, and Scott Walker.  lol.  It's insanity!

Old 02-20-2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanHippie View Post

Indeed I am!  Thanks to the news and my hormones, I'm having wild dreams every night about protesters, unions, and Scott Walker.  lol.  It's insanity!

You poor thing! I have sympathy anger just watching TV. I've been singing "On Wisconsin" from my high school band days in solidarity, lol

Old 02-20-2011, 12:14 PM

To OP...are you taking fish oil? It's supposed to help with stabilizing emotions. Your baby will use up the compounds in fish oil that are in your body, leaving you a little raw and sensitive. If you'd like to stop wanting to kill people and hating your partner, you could try it and see what happens?

DOn't know what to suggest with the headaches. I've definitely had more than normal, but not terrible. It seems, for me, that drinking enough water (6-8 glasses a day) and exercising regularly in general can help. I'm sorry you're feeling so crappy! I hope it all passes soon for you and you get the second trimester you've been dreaming of :)

Amanda, DW to Drew, mom to Ella, 7, Gardner, 2, homesteading on the edge of the continent on the Lost Coast.
mdcblog5.gif California Homesteading, http://eastmillcreek.blogspot.com

Old 02-20-2011, 05:36 PM

I'll have to say that I've been better on both the headaches and the plotting of murders since I've been regularly exercising!  It has made a world of difference.  I do a great prenatal workout video a few times a week and walk every single day.  Baby likes it too  :)

User Tag List