hip pain already?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-07-2011, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a super crampy feeling in my hip that sort of travels down my leg a little. I can tell my uterus is stretching because on both sides, near my pubic area, it's a little crampy too. I'm just shocked that I am feeling this already at 15 weeks! Anyone feeling hip pain yet? I'm thinking a warm bath will help... and maybe a pillow between my legs at night.

Tracy, mama to Mia Elizabethhearts.gif10~4~06 and Baby Ava Elise baby.gif 8~6~11

#2 of 5 Old 02-07-2011, 04:15 PM

The bath and a pillow for your knees will probably help at least a little... I would also suggest finding a chiropractor who does the Webster technique. In both of my other pregnancies, my hips were so bad by this point that I felt like an 80-year-old cripple, but this time I've been seeing a chiro friend of mine, and my hips don't hurt at all! It's amazing, they were seriously so bad last time that I didn't know if I would be able to put myself through another pregnancy, I felt like I'd need a hip replacement by the time I'm 30!

doula, wife to Dave ribbonyellow.gif, mom to Noah (5/14/06) superhero.gifand Faith (11/13/08) ribbonlime.gif (Gastroschisis Awareness) 127 days in the NICU, and 6 weeks thousands of miles from home, because of gastroschisis.  Expecting #3 2ndtri.gif July 2011! computergeek2.gif www.frugallynatural.org
#3 of 5 Old 02-07-2011, 04:28 PM

I second chiro care. I've been having sciatic pain too but haven't been able to get in to see the chiro yet because of their hours, but it really does make a big difference with my pain. Sleeping with a pillow between my legs also helps, I have one of those huge double sided maternity pillows this time around and it's wonderful.  

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#4 of 5 Old 02-07-2011, 06:39 PM

I've been having sciatic pain also, something I didn't experience last time.  It's pretty annoying.  If I ever remember, I'm going to setup an appointment with a chiropractor.  

The pillow and bath sound like they'd be very helpful to you (and probably me too for that matter).

ahhh to be able to think well enough to create a clever signature.sleeping.gif someday i will have enough sleep to accomplish this task...

Janae, mama to X (1/09) & X (7/11) and wife to J (since 9/96!)  Homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby (and toddler) wearing, co-sleeping, lactivist, intactivist. luxlove.gif

#5 of 5 Old 02-12-2011, 06:43 AM

(not in your DDC but I was in the July 2010 club, so I was in your shoes last year!)

Just wanted to share that I went through the same thing with my second.  With the first, I had some occasional hip, leg, back pain, but it was MUCH worse with the second.  Apparently, in addition to sciatica, you may have what is called pelvic girdle pain of pregnancy.  More common with subsequent pregnancies, gets worse with subsequent pregnancies, can start as early as the beginning of the second trimester (mine started around 18 weeks), and is due to increased levels of the hormone relaxin that loosens your pelvic joints and makes your pelvis "unstable" (you can google these if you want more info, but that is what I learned).  I had all sorts of things done to cope with it, including massage therapy, physiotherapy, orthotic shoes, exercises, pillows, abdominal support belts, and eventually did modified duties at work (I'm an RN, so I went from being on my feet for the whole shift, to doing desk work, which helped immensely).  I went off work at 36 weeks, because even the desk work was too much.  It was pretty intense, but the good news is that it usually goes away pretty soon after the birth with no lasting effects (mine went away completely around a month after DS was born).  Ahh the joys of pregnancy!  

It definitely got worse with the passing weeks, and I hope yours doesn't!  It put a huge damper on my ability to enjoy the pregnancy, but it was all worth it in the end. love.gif

A + J = Miriam (November 2006) and Raymond (June 2010)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page