positive quad screen blues - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-17-2011, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had a quad screen at 15 weeks. Found out in week 16 that the results indicated high risk for down syndrome. mecry.gif I am now 17 weeks and have an appointment next Friday at 18 weeks for a level II u/s and a meeting with a genetic counselor. I am nervous mainly due to my husband, who initally lost his cool and broke down as soon as he found out.yikes2.gif He said he was not equpit to handle a special needs child. I myself have no issues with it. I have grown up around special needs people due to my moms job choice at the time and my current job. I have done a lot of research and found that most information indicates a high rate of false positives.

Has anyone else had a postive quad screen? and how are you and your parnter handling it?

Also, if we have a second child, i will not opt to have this screening because, despite what my husband believes in himself, i would never terminate and this has caused a lot of problems and stress.

#2 of 14 Old 02-17-2011, 09:20 AM

Hugs. We haven't gotten those screenings because we would never terminate, either. And until your DH sees the baby and falls in love ... he doesn't know what he is capable of doing and handling. I know there is a huge, huge rate of false positives though so until the baby is born or you get the genetic tests back, you won't know for sure. Hang in there!

#3 of 14 Old 02-17-2011, 10:19 AM

If it's reassuring at all, please know that only about 4% of women with a positive quad screen actually have an issue with their pregnancy.  It's called the "positive predictive value" of the test, and for the quad screen it's terrible.  Which is to say, the chances are overwhelmingly on your side that your baby doesn't any of the syndromes they're worried about.  Like RawMilkMama said, the rate of false positives is very, very high.  I hope the u/s next week gives you some peace of mind in any case.

Mom to DS (3) and a new baby!  Geeked to be married to my love love.gif

#4 of 14 Old 02-17-2011, 12:38 PM

I had a positive integrated screen, which I guess is a similar deal.  They gave me odds for Down Syndrome of 1/22.  We had our level II ultrasound (which was totally normal) on Tuesday, and opted for an amnio at that time as well.  Termination is also not an option for us, but I felt that knowing one way or another would be hugely beneficial emotionally for us.  If the baby does have Down Syndrome, we (and our families) will be able to come to terms with that before she is born, and her birth can be a fully joyous one.  I'd rather do my crying now than on my sweet DD's birthday.  I know that lots of folks don't feel that having the knowledge ahead of time would have helped them, but I know that for me it will make all the difference. 

Anyway, I know that it's tough news to get.  But as others have said, a positive screen is a far cry from a diagnosis.  And most people with positive screens have unaffected babies. 

I hope your ultrasound goes well and your DH comes around.

ETA:  Sorry about the totally random extra half-sentence.  It doesn't show up when I try to edit, so I can't delete it. 

pI don't want to hear any "oh no

#5 of 14 Old 02-17-2011, 01:08 PM

In agreement with the above posters. I have not ever had a positive as I have never had the quad screen done. Due to my age (I was 35 with #1, 37 with #2, and I just turned 40 with this one) there was an increased risk of a positive just because I was older. I opted for going straight to amnio each time, as I also had a need to be prepared as no5no5 said. So although there is a slight risk of a problem actually being there, there is a MUCH higher risk of it being a false positive, and you having a normal level II U/S. Best wishes to you.

Kelly, wife to DH, mom to Caden Reese (10-2-06), Tessa Brynn (12-26-08 ), and Maddox Quinn (7-16-11). Fur-mama to Finnegan, Ripley, Raisin (my little kitty amputee) and Kimchi. 748/2011, 2028/2012-I did it!! 2023/2013-Again!!! 404/2014
#6 of 14 Old 02-23-2011, 01:06 PM

Just got our results back today and they considered me to be a positive risk at 1/ 265. I am thinking, aren't my chances of having a baby with Down's then less than 1%???? I think these are good odds!

They asked me to come in and discuss my options. I just feel like because I am 36, my odds ratio rose despite a normal u/s at week 13 and blood work that was within normal ranges. I'm opting for not having an amnio. Good luck mama!! any idea where they placed you as far as your risk factor?

Tracy, mama to Mia Elizabethhearts.gif10~4~06 and Baby Ava Elise baby.gif 8~6~11

#7 of 14 Old 02-23-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia's mama View Post

Just got our results back today and they considered me to be a positive risk at 1/ 265. I am thinking, aren't my chances of having a baby with Down's then less than 1%???? I think these are good odds!

Yeah, I think they call it "positive" if your odds are in the top 5% of all women, and they'll recommend an amnio anytime your risk of Down Syndrome is greater than your risk of complications from the amnio. 

#8 of 14 Old 02-25-2011, 10:58 AM

I hope the add'l tests rule out the worst.

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."- Albert Einstein

#9 of 14 Old 02-27-2011, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

subbing, any news? I haaaate that quad screen. even with a "high" risk of 1/22 there are 21 mothers out there who's babies aren't DS. Plus, the test can pick up on other chromosomal issues. I have a friend who's child has a deletion syndrome (is that what you call it? Syndrome?) But she had high odds on the quad, then a clear U/S then an "unusual" amnio. Because it wasn't DS, but a different abnormality, it took until he was 2 to figure it out.

I hope things work out well for you. Even if your baby has DS, I'm sure your husband will fall in love!

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#10 of 14 Old 02-27-2011, 09:57 PM

We found out a few days ago that our LO does not have DS.  I'm feeling kind of neutral about it, despite the absolute joy of my family members.  eyesroll.gif  I still think it would have been fine to have a baby with DS. 

OP, how did your ultrasound go?

#11 of 14 Old 03-01-2011, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Seaqueen is my cousin and she has not had time to get on here. Her test came back okie dokie just fine. joy.gif

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

#12 of 14 Old 03-01-2011, 12:12 PM

Great to hear!!

I'm Valerie bfinfant.gif wife to a United States Navy sailor, mom to Audreygeek.gif(6/01), Lydiathumbsuck.gif(4/08)   Jethrobabyf.gif(1/10) and Vivian babygirl.gif (6/11) novaxnocirc.gifcd.gif

#13 of 14 Old 03-03-2011, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

I had my level II u/s  last friday and the baby looked perfect. and........it's a girl!! weighed 10 lbs. declined amnio. We are so happy. got first present--pink and purple dress and pink sneakers!! Will not get quad screen again! my ratio was 1:59. after u/s percentage went from 2% to  less than 1%. Daddy to be is acting much better. joy.gif

#14 of 14 Old 03-03-2011, 07:46 AM

yeah!  I'm so happy the results were much better.

I'm assuming you meant 10oz though?  You'll really be in trouble if the baby is already 10 lbs winky.gif  I'm jealous that you got to buy girly stuff.

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."- Albert Einstein

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page