Chat Thread 24th-3rd - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 02-24-2011, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Here's a new one for us to add on to.

How is everyone feeling this week? I have begun the Brewer Diet in one of my efforts to ward off preeclampsia and have my dream home birth. I had pre-e last pregnancy but not the two prior. I am working really hard to stay in good health. I have also hired a home birth midwife who is really pushing the importance of nutrition.

I am continuing "dual-care" with my OB, not because I want to, but because hubby wants me to for insurance reasons. If something bad should happen and I have to transfer to the hospital during delivery, he doesn't want Tricare to deny anything because of lack of prenatal care. I don't think that would happen, because I AM getting great prenatal care from my midwife, but I can see where he is coming from. He's gotta look out for us in that area.

The OB wants to do the GTT on me next appointment (the 24th of march) and I am not sure what to do about that. I fail GTT's plain and simple, however I have also had hemoglobin A1C's taken around the same time that come back PERFECT. I am trying to decide if I should just decline the test or if I should try to fake it out somehow. Like, drinking a ton of water and doing laps around the hospital while I wait the hour for them to take my blood. 

Other than that, everything is going okay. I feel pretty good other than having no energy. That just comes with the territory though. The baby has been really active and I can see her jumping around and feel her with my hand pretty well despite the anterior placenta. I bought a fetoscope and it should be coming in the mail soon. I have a doppler at home, and I love listening to her but I don't want to expose her to all that ultrasound.

I'm Valerie bfinfant.gif wife to a United States Navy sailor, mom to Audreygeek.gif(6/01), Lydiathumbsuck.gif(4/08)   Jethrobabyf.gif(1/10) and Vivian babygirl.gif (6/11) novaxnocirc.gifcd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 31 Old 02-24-2011, 10:13 AM

Big mid-pregnancy ultrasound this morning confirmed ONE healthy baby! Whew! My placenta is completely posterior which would explain the crazy, frequent movement I've had. I've never had a posterior placenta so it threw me off big time. The baby is also measuring larger than average at 1lb. 2oz. but being on the Brewer diet would explain that. I'm not sure what would explain the two heartbeats we heard but otherwise everything looked great!

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#3 of 31 Old 02-24-2011, 10:26 AM

Not sure about how to "fake" the GTT. My midwife always suggests a super high protein breakfast before you drink the stuff. She said that always makes a big difference in how you tolerate sugar in your system. You could also try eating a reduced sugar and carb diet every other day. I have chronic yeast infections from a sugar sensitivity. My naturopath suggested I eat low sugar and carbs every other day to let my body have time to process the sugars I do eat on the alternating days.

Katie - I'm so glad there was really only 1 baby in there! What a comfort to have those suspicions put to rest. I can't wait to have our big ultrasound in about a week. I love seeing the baby and haven't had a chance to yet in this pregnancy. It's the 1st time I haven't needed an early ultrasound for dating reasons.

I'm really feeling the baby move regularly now which is so amazing (even with baby #4). I love lying in bed and waiting for the baby to move. It's always so exciting!

Better go focus on the 3 kids who aren't in my body!

Sarah*

Sarah, Mom to Theo (8/06), Penny (1/08) and Felix 10/30) #4 due 07/11
#4 of 31 Old 02-24-2011, 11:21 AM

So yesterday I found out that I'm having another boy & feel a little disappointed. I'm 41 & I doubt I'll have another one.  The baby is perfect so I should be happy right?  No signs of any problems, 5 digits all around, size is right on target, etc.  Maybe I can just dress him in girl clothes smile.gif

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."- Albert Einstein

#5 of 31 Old 02-24-2011, 12:07 PM

Valerie- I'm soooo excited for you about the homebirth plans and hope you can remain pre-e free! I'm getting con-current care as well and already am having some anxiety about denying certain tests/procedures. I wish the OB's were as flexible as the MW's are. Are you telling your OB about your homebirth plans? I'm not. whistling.gif

Katie- yay for one healthy bumpkin! I wonder if my babe is measuring large or if I have a posterior placenta as well because I'm feeling alot more movement than I usually do at this stage AND i feel huge!

Sarah- I love feeling baby move more too. I try and spend some quiet alone time connecting and watching the movement, much harder with a 2.5 yr old running around AND my hyper 7 yr old.

Amyhug2.gif It's ok to feel how you're feeling. I had my U/S last week and while we are not finding out what we're having, I didn't see any definative boy parts which did leave me feeling a little sad. On the bright side, I'll have plenty of girl clothes and can spend that saved money on cute cloth diapers!

All seems pretty good on my end. I'm developing a bit of paranoia about having a stillbirth or some problem and hope I can quell my anxiety a bit by talking with the MW's. greensad.gif I did decide on which MW i'll be using and am excited to start regular care with her. It was a really tough decision to make and one I really wish I didn't have to make at all.

I know the energy is supposed to return with the 2nd trimester but I feel more tired lately. I've been skipping out on my workouts because the classes are in the evening and I'm pooped by then. I don't understand why I'm more tired because I've been sleeping very well and getting up in the morning with no problems. Maybe my diet isn't all that great and I can improve my energy by eating better...

Baby is moving a ton. I've dubbed this one "Roo" and love watching how active he/she is. I do feel alot bigger than my prior pregnancies and wonder if my dates might be off (I was fairly sure of my LMP and it being a good/regular one).

I have my OB appt next week to discuss the U/S and hope everything is ok. I don't know how much longer I can stand going to the OB as they are pushy about doing things "their way". They know I had a homebirth last time (I didn't tell them while I was pregnant last time) and I'm not telling them about my homebirth plans this time either. I feel like they would find a way to risk me out, KWIM?

Getting more excited about this belly popping out and making it obvious I'm indeed preggo and not just "hibernating". biggrinbounce.gif

winner.jpgFormer WIC Peer Breastfeeding Counselor (2005-2011) now SAHM to bouncy.gif DD (8/2003), thumbsuck.gif DD (8/2008homebirth.jpg ), mate to jammin.gif since 07/2000. Expecting Baby Roo Mid July 2011!  stork-suprise.gifcd.gif

#6 of 31 Old 02-24-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awallrising View Post

So yesterday I found out that I'm having another boy & feel a little disappointed. I'm 41 & I doubt I'll have another one.  The baby is perfect so I should be happy right?  No signs of any problems, 5 digits all around, size is right on target, etc.  Maybe I can just dress him in girl clothes smile.gif

I understand....we aren't finding out this time, and we have a boy and a girl. Ihad been OK with either gender this time around. However, I was looking at the US pics, most of which are 3D, and thought I saw testicles...obviously it could have been the cord or something, but I was surprised at how disappointed I was...I guess inside I really want/wanted another girl.  Having a girl WOULD make sharing a room etc easier but still.  And now I feel guilty that I am/will be disapointed if it's a boy.

I will add though, that my DS LOVES wearing tights, and boots, and wants some leggings for Easter. LOL.

Yay for only one baby Katie! That has to be a relief!!

Glad everyone else is doing pretty well....I'm in the same place with no energy this week-I had been feeling pretty good the last few weeks, but this week I'm wiped out. I REALLY need the energy to kick back in so I can continue my cleaning and decluttering efforts-it is desperately needed!!

Kelly, wife to DH, mom to Caden Reese (10-2-06), Tessa Brynn (12-26-08 ), and Maddox Quinn (7-16-11). Fur-mama to Finnegan, Ripley, Raisin (my little kitty amputee) and Kimchi. 748/2011, 2028/2012-I did it!! 2023/2013-Again!!! 404/2014
#7 of 31 Old 02-24-2011, 10:16 PM

Valarie there is an alternate suggestion for not taking the GTT.  Some mamas have been able to decline it but offer to eat a healthy breakfast and come in for a blood draw one hour post breakfast.  Some OBs are ok with the compromise.   MW seem to be more accepting if you want to deny it or not. 

This has been kind of a weird week.  We had to fly to Salt Lake for DH to have surgery.  He is recovering well but not sleeping in my own bed has been taking it's toll on me and making me more tired than usual. 

I've also been waking up a lot because I like to sleep on my back.  I've read that after 16 weeks, one really shouldn't sleep on their back.  I don't feel any symptoms from lying on my back but don't want to think that I'm compromising the little one's circulation. 

It's very hard for me to sleep on my left side all night and sleeping on my right is painful--I have an arthritic shoulder greensad.gif  Tummy sleeping hasn't been too bad but I just seem to wake up a lot now thinking that I shouldn't be on my back.

Can't wait to get back home and be able to sleep in my own bed. 

I've been feeling a ton of movement lately.  I don't have the typical swisher and swirler.  The babe just seems to like to bump bump bump.  s/he was pretty quiet today until we decided to go out to dinner then was all action.

Hoping babe doesn't remain a night owl. 

I'm 18 weeks today and still no "real" belly to speak of. 

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#8 of 31 Old 02-25-2011, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Inkedstar- Nope I'm not telling him. That dude is so old school and I could just see him judging me and attempting to shoot me down as soon as I told him I was intending on having a home birth. I just intend to smile and nod through the duration of this pregnancy. Even if something crazy happens while I'm delivering at home, the hospital he works at isn't the closest, so he wouldn't be delivering the baby. He couldn't promise me he wouldn't do an episiotomy. As if I would let that guy near me. He just doesn't know that. I think the only problems I am going to come up with are the routine tests. It's either decline them and have to worry about what they are thinking of me or just sit through them and shut up. I had preeclampsia once so I am automatically slapped high risk and will be put on the NST machine once a week probably starting around 30 weeks. I am doing absolutely everything in my power to remain low risk, and If I stay low risk, I don't see the need for high risk testing. All of my deliveries have been smooth, uncomplicated, natural vaginal deliveries and if I can just get to delivery day without a glitch, we will be home free. Literally.

I'm Valerie bfinfant.gif wife to a United States Navy sailor, mom to Audreygeek.gif(6/01), Lydiathumbsuck.gif(4/08)   Jethrobabyf.gif(1/10) and Vivian babygirl.gif (6/11) novaxnocirc.gifcd.gif

#9 of 31 Old 02-25-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianBlesing View Post

I've also been waking up a lot because I like to sleep on my back.  I've read that after 16 weeks, one really shouldn't sleep on their back.  I don't feel any symptoms from lying on my back but don't want to think that I'm compromising the little one's circulation. 

It's very hard for me to sleep on my left side all night and sleeping on my right is painful--I have an arthritic shoulder greensad.gif 

This! This is my same problem exactly, down to the arthritic shoulder! I LOVE sleeping on my back. I don't mind sleeping on my left side for short periods of time, but now I feel like I have no where else to go. And I have trouble falling asleep in any position except on my back. It's driving me slightly nutso. Or maybe more than slightly orngbiggrin.gif

I started doing my Crunch Yoga Mama video this week (finally). I need to get a yoga mat, but I did quite enjoy it. I hope to continue it through the rest of the pregnancy, or at least until it's warm enough outside that I can walk without fear of frostbite smile.gif

Counting down the days til our anatomy scan! It's coming up on Tuesday.

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

Owned by Friesians and Drum Horses, plus the dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens

#10 of 31 Old 02-25-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianBlesing View Post

It's very hard for me to sleep on my left side all night and sleeping on my right is painful--I have an arthritic shoulder greensad.gif  Tummy sleeping hasn't been too bad but I just seem to wake up a lot now thinking that I shouldn't be on my back.

I ran into the same thing when I was pregnant with my first-I am a confirmed back sleeper. I've been told by a couple OB's that as long as YOU feel fine, then there is nothing to worry about-any kind of compression of blood vessels would affect you FAR FAR FAR before affecting the baby. One then went on to tell me that if I was worried, you only needed to be about an inch up on one side, so to tuck a pillow or something under one side to raise up an inch and then there was nothing to worry about. I did that last pregnancy and it really helped allow me to sleep without worrying or even worrying that I SHOULD be worrying, LOL. Just that little bit didn't really bother me either. So maybe try that and see if you sleep better?? Good luck! (oh yeah, and I am now a better side sleeper from all the night-nursing I've done, LOL)

Kelly, wife to DH, mom to Caden Reese (10-2-06), Tessa Brynn (12-26-08 ), and Maddox Quinn (7-16-11). Fur-mama to Finnegan, Ripley, Raisin (my little kitty amputee) and Kimchi. 748/2011, 2028/2012-I did it!! 2023/2013-Again!!! 404/2014
#11 of 31 Old 02-25-2011, 05:33 PM

Katie- I was actually just looking through some other threads trying to find out if you had twins.  I was in suspense so I dont know HOW you waited that time without going bonkers!  I dont have my mid-way US for a few more weeks.  But, now that you said about your placenta I wonder if that'll be true for me too.  I'll be 18 weeks tomorrow and have been having so much movement and jabs that DH and I can feel on the outside already.  I was just commenting today how much more active this baby seems at such a young gestation.  DS was always active but I dont remember him being this pronounced at this gestation. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlyfry7 View Post

I ran into the same thing when I was pregnant with my first-I am a confirmed back sleeper. I've been told by a couple OB's that as long as YOU feel fine, then there is nothing to worry about-any kind of compression of blood vessels would affect you FAR FAR FAR before affecting the baby. One then went on to tell me that if I was worried, you only needed to be about an inch up on one side, so to tuck a pillow or something under one side to raise up an inch and then there was nothing to worry about. I did that last pregnancy and it really helped allow me to sleep without worrying or even worrying that I SHOULD be worrying, LOL. Just that little bit didn't really bother me either. So maybe try that and see if you sleep better?? Good luck! (oh yeah, and I am now a better side sleeper from all the night-nursing I've done, LOL)

This is just my opinion based on my clinical experience, but I dont find that to always be true.  Some women just dont seem to be bothered by laying on their back.  Most dont even know they're not supposed to lay supine so when I educated them about it, some say "Oh, that's why I get dizzylightbulb.gif" but most say they've never noticed anything out of the ordinary.  On the external monitor I can usually tell before even going in the room if the mama is lying too flat because babys heartrate becomes less variable.  I find mamas with a little more belly weight normally tend to not feel the effects as much as mamas who aren't used to having weight on their belly. Also depends on how big the baby is.  At 16 weeks one might not feel many effects but by 20 most babies would.  You're right though, it only takes just a little bit of a tilt, left, right, or sitting up, to get the weight off that vena cava.  I find a body pillow to be better because it supports your whole side.  Again, these are just my observations, nothing scientific or factual, and I deal mostly with L&D patients so women who are more than 20 weeks. 

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF

#12 of 31 Old 02-25-2011, 08:30 PM

OMG. so we just got back from the pedi because 18mo DS fell and hit his face straight on the edge of the table and lost  his front tooth!! yikes2.gifbawling.gif

I cant stop crying because I just feel so terrible.  What if doesn't learn to speak properly, what if he cant eat properly, what if all the kids make fun of him, what if it got impacted and permenantly damaged his adult tooth??? :(  We'll go see the ped dentist on Monday .  The Pedi didn't think he aspirated it but since we cant find it I"ll keep an eye on his diapers hoping just to find it to know he didn't inhale it.  His other teeth are all sturdy so that's good news but I just feel so terrible that he's not going to have a front tooth for the next 6+ years.  bawling.gif

I

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF

#13 of 31 Old 02-26-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamahen2coop View Post

This is just my opinion based on my clinical experience, but I dont find that to always be true.  Some women just dont seem to be bothered by laying on their back.  Most dont even know they're not supposed to lay supine so when I educated them about it, some say "Oh, that's why I get dizzylightbulb.gif" but most say they've never noticed anything out of the ordinary.  On the external monitor I can usually tell before even going in the room if the mama is lying too flat because babys heartrate becomes less variable.  I find mamas with a little more belly weight normally tend to not feel the effects as much as mamas who aren't used to having weight on their belly. Also depends on how big the baby is.  At 16 weeks one might not feel many effects but by 20 most babies would.  You're right though, it only takes just a little bit of a tilt, left, right, or sitting up, to get the weight off that vena cava.  I find a body pillow to be better because it supports your whole side.  Again, these are just my observations, nothing scientific or factual, and I deal mostly with L&D patients so women who are more than 20 weeks. 

Weird!! And usually OB's are more likely to tell you NOT to do something rather than tell you it's OK to do so......Another detail one said (and again I have no idea if it's true or not) is that laying on her back tends to bother more 1st time moms, as their abdominal muscles are tighter, and hold everything DOWN more than mamas who have had previous children and therfore have...ahem....looser abs, shall we say?? ;)

Yep, I loved my body pillow but ended up using a regular one occasionally in a pinch. I CAN think of one problem from sleeping on your back when you're further along-being unable to get up because you feel like a turtle laying over on it's shell, LOL!!

#14 of 31 Old 02-26-2011, 11:41 AM

So I noticed a couple people mention the Brewer diet and I'd never heard of it.  So I found the website and I'm a little intrigued by it.  I'm tired and crabby from crying all night (see post about my son now being minus a front tooth :() so I didn't really get into the site much.  What do you all know about it? 

#15 of 31 Old 02-26-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamahen2coop View Post

So I noticed a couple people mention the Brewer diet and I'd never heard of it. So I found the website and I'm a little intrigued by it. I'm tired and crabby from crying all night (see post about my son now being minus a front tooth greensad.gif) so I didn't really get into the site much. What do you all know about it?

I've been doing it and it's great to have the checklist handy even on days when I decide not to bother being strict (I am kind of half assing it but I still think it's valuable.) I am treating it more as a goal to reach for rather than a strict diet. There is a big focus on protein and most importantly, a wide variety of nutrient rich foods. There's a long list of foods to choose from that has been helping me to make my grocery lists and add things into my diet that I wouldn't normally eat. It is a LOT of food, so I usually fall short of the recommendations, but my midwife said that's fine and to just try and make sure I'm hitting all the different categories on the checklist every day. I'd say it's worth it to print out the checklist and give it a try for a week even if you don't plan to be strict about it. It makes me aware of things I might be missing in my diet.

Sorry to hear about your son's tooth. If it makes you feel better, my little sister (12 years younger than me) had to have her 2 top front teeth pulled at age 2 because of problems with tooth decay, and she was missing those teeth till she was about 6-7 years old when the adult ones came in. She still looked adorable, was able to talk and eat just fine, and everything turned out wonderful. It was not even a big deal (except for the upsetting time when she first lost the teeth.) He will be just fine!
#16 of 31 Old 02-26-2011, 04:17 PM

Jenica - sorry to hear about the tooth!

Sleeping...what an interesting discussion! I am able to sleep on my left side but use a body pillow to help. What I find interesting after all this time of telling women to sleep on their left side, the Society of Obstetricians and Gynecologists of Canada have now changed their position on the issue. They now say that they do not recommend any particular way to sleep. Just makes me wonder. In the hospitals, if a pregnant woman is on her back (at least in this city), they do prop her up a little with a rolled up towel under her right hip to take the pressure off. Can't tell you anything about clinically how well it works, but that is what they do (although personally I haven't seen it not do it's job, but I'm only one person).

I have a bit of a cold :( boo. I am drinking lots of tea, or hot water with lemon and honey hoping to make it go away. The only problem is, I am coughing so much, I am noticing how much I should be really working my pelvic floor muscles. I was doing a fair number but I guess I have to do more.

On the plus side, today I went bra shopping (which has been a nightmare lately) and actually found some that fit...covered by a gift card I got over the holidays...awesome!

I am loosely doing the Brewers diet too. I get a fair number of fruits and vegetables a day so my main focus is really on the protein. Baby seems to be measuring just fine (last babe was small) so I hoping this helps. I should probably get more serious since I want to make it to term this time. On that note, I guess I should finish doing the laundry and get on to making a grocery list :) A meal plan for the week wouldn't be bad but only if I have the energy.

Nicole: mama to DD and DS, childbirth educator and doula. Dancing the spiral dance of life bellycast.gif

#17 of 31 Old 02-26-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radicaleel View Post
Sorry to hear about your son's tooth. If it makes you feel better, my little sister (12 years younger than me) had to have her 2 top front teeth pulled at age 2 because of problems with tooth decay, and she was missing those teeth till she was about 6-7 years old when the adult ones came in. She still looked adorable, was able to talk and eat just fine, and everything turned out wonderful. It was not even a big deal (except for the upsetting time when she first lost the teeth.) He will be just fine!

it does make me feel better.  THanks.  I think it was more traumatizing for me than him.  I feel a little better today after seeing him be pretty much his normal self.  I think it's a little sore if he bumps it but he's pretty much status quo.  I'll have to check out the website a little more.  I'm up for anything that helps me make a grocery list and add new foods!  Im really lucky to have a very nice market with lots of fresh and diverse produce, with tons of organic and local options.  Even though, I cant wait for spring so I can go to the farmers market instead!

#18 of 31 Old 02-27-2011, 05:22 AM

So DH & I had a huge fight yesterday b/c he was mad that I didn't do the dishes on Friday (I am sick & didn't get to them even though I did other stuff).  It's obviously much more than just the dishes.   I feel like I would divorce him if I weren't pregnant.  He ignores everything I do right & focuses on what I don't & then hassles me.  He ignores DS when he is doing really cool stuff & reprimands him when he misbehaves which DS does to get his attention.  I don't think he has a shred of remorse for making his sick & pregnant wife cry hysterically for an hour & get a migraine. I can't believe that I am 41 yrs old, pregnant & dealing with this nonsense.  Heaven help me!

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."- Albert Einstein

#19 of 31 Old 02-27-2011, 11:27 AM

Here's poor DS's face.  I did find the tooth this morning- it came out with yesterdays blueberry bran muffin. lol.gif

Poor guy, it must have hurt so bad.  It came out roots and all.  Too bad he swallowed it or I would have shoved it right back up there and hoped for regrowth.  Oh well...IMG-20110226-00128.jpg

#20 of 31 Old 02-28-2011, 12:21 PM

Jenica- Luckily it's a baby tooth.  I know it's upsetting but I bet he'll be just fine.

#21 of 31 Old 02-28-2011, 12:47 PM

DH & I are both sick (he is a a little sicker than me) but somehow DH gets to rest in bed all day & I still have to do chores & take care of DS.  Is that fair?

#22 of 31 Old 02-28-2011, 02:02 PM

Hi July mommas.  I'm due at the very end of July (31st) and have been reading along with your chat.  I wanted to write today b/c I'm 18 weeks and feeling sick!  I stopped taking my Unisom on Saturday night since I figured I'd be safe from the m/s by 18 wks.  Well no such luck, unless I'm getting regular sick or something.  I felt sort of bad here and there yesterday and downright nauseous today!  This is my 2nd pregnancy and I was fine by 14-15 wks last time.  So if you were me would you give it a couple more days (med free) or start them again?  It's supposed to be safe for the baby, but in general I hate taking meds and I feel more strongly about it while pregnant.  But then again I don't want to feel like this either.

Thanks for listening.

Semi-crunchy Momma to a 4 year old girl and a baby girl born in July of 2011.

#23 of 31 Old 03-01-2011, 08:05 PM

Hello ladies!

I find out on Thursday the sex of the baby ... hopefully!   I've been feeling lots of rocking and rolling in there ... so that is fun.

Just for the record ... being pregnant with and having twins can be joyous and fun!  Just wanted you all to know that!  Sometimes the worst thing about having twins is other peoples reactions and comments.

Have a great week ladies!

Loving my twin boys! fencing.gif 11/03/2009 And my daughter 08/16/11 hearts.gif novaxnocirc.gif vbac.gifmomma  chicken3.gif Homesteader supermod.gif Doula

#24 of 31 Old 03-02-2011, 03:48 AM

tea_time: I didn't experience morning sickness so I can't really offer an opinion, only support. I think you need to go with what your gut tells you is right for you. If the nausea is bad enough that you can't function without the meds, then definitely taking them is the way to go. If it's more mild, then you need to do whatever you're comfortable with.

I hope your nausea goes away soon!

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

Owned by Friesians and Drum Horses, plus the dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens

#25 of 31 Old 03-02-2011, 06:22 AM

tea_time:  I'm 20 weeks today (yippee!) and I've only not been throwing up for the last 3 days. This is baby #4 for me and I've been really sick with all of them. I find that It's much better now than it was even just 2-3 weeks ago so hopefully you'll feel a real difference soon. I am def. more sick/nauseated the day after I've had a lot on. Maybe you could try a few days without the meds and see how your activity levels affect your sickness? I think I've become better at pacing myself but it is hard with 3 kids of my own plus a 1 year old I look after at work!  Best of luck and I hope you feel better really soon.

Married to my high school sweetheart (15years), Mamma to 3 boyspeace.gif (2000), whistling.gif(2003), blahblah.gif (2007) and growing a new little one stork-suprise.gif due late July 2011. 
#26 of 31 Old 03-02-2011, 08:27 AM

I had a great OB appt the other day! And while I was there the us tech let me take another peek at baby to make sure she's a girl- and she is!

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

#27 of 31 Old 03-02-2011, 09:20 AM

Nearly 23 weeks here and feeling decent, although I'm super cranky when I'm tired or hungry. Finally starting to feel kicks up above my belly button, this baby hasn't been much of a kicker but likes to punch a whole lot so I've been feeling more movement down low. It's kind of surprising to think of how much room the baby takes up in there now.

As far as the twins, I apologize if I sounded negative about it. I would be more eager about the prospect of twins if we were at a different stage in life. We have to relocate to a different state (don't know which yet) when this baby is 4-6 weeks old, the idea of trying to do it with two newborns and a 2 year old and almost 4 year old scares me. Not to mention the impending deployment that will be looming over us in the Fall if my DH can't find another job besides the one he was offered by the National Guard in NY.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#28 of 31 Old 03-02-2011, 02:42 PM

The good: Found out I am having a girl! DH and I finally agreed on a name. My belly finally looks pregnant and not just fat.

The bad: I am coming down with a sinus cold and it is really painful on one side of my nose. I don't want to take any sick days because I am saving them for maternity leave. Yesterday I had to take a day off because DS was throwing up and DH is out of town. I did leave early today but made it as long as I could. I have used a neti pot, took a hot shower, and am drinking a ton of water and tea. Anything else I can do? My OB is out of the office today and tomorrow. I do have an appointment Friday. 

#29 of 31 Old 03-02-2011, 04:32 PM

matty - Try a saline spray as well, carry it around and spray it all the time.  That's what my Dr recommended.  Congrats on your girl btw!  

Thanks ladies for the advice and support.  I ended up taking the Unisom and felt MUCH better the next day (today too mostly).  I guess it's just lasting longer this time around.  I'll try to wean off at 20 wks and see if I'm "all better" by then.

Semi-crunchy Momma to a 4 year old girl and a baby girl born in July of 2011.

#30 of 31 Old 03-03-2011, 07:58 AM

matty02- I have a wicked sinus infection as well.  I talked to my midwives & she said to do all the things you're doing plus you take lots of echinacea.  I have several nosesprays, one of which is colloidal silver, which she said is good too.  I just wish someone was here to take care of DS for a few hours so I could nap.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page