swimsuits? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 03-02-2011, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Any good ideas on where to find decent maternity swimsuits??

Thanks,

M

Married to my high school sweetheart (15years), Mamma to 3 boyspeace.gif (2000), whistling.gif(2003), blahblah.gif (2007) and growing a new little one stork-suprise.gif due late July 2011. 
#2 of 27 Old 03-02-2011, 07:17 AM

I found some really nice ones on jcpenney.com during my summer pregnancy in 2008.  But, I just went to the site, and there's not one listed on the regular maternity section--strange, since regular swimwear is already out.  Bummer.  But, there are still a few in the maternity clearance section.

Mom to D-Dog (4/05), DD (9/08), and expecting a baby boy in July (edd 7/7/11).

#3 of 27 Old 03-02-2011, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Hmm...I'm looking to order online as I live in Europe now but am coming to the US in April and will need it then. Everything is WAY cheaper in the US so that's why I want to get it there... Thanks for the suggestion though.

Married to my high school sweetheart (15years), Mamma to 3 boyspeace.gif (2000), whistling.gif(2003), blahblah.gif (2007) and growing a new little one stork-suprise.gif due late July 2011. 
#4 of 27 Old 03-02-2011, 09:24 AM

I have one from Motherhood Maternity but I think I'll be able to get away with wearing my Land's End tankini because the top has adjustable rouched sides to make it longer/shorter. I haven't tried it on yet but I'm hoping it's stretchy enough.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#5 of 27 Old 03-02-2011, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Old Navy and Motherhood Maternity both have them.  And Target.com.  They're all about the same price.  Gap.com might have some in their maternity section, but I can't remember for sure.

I am extra extra extra well endowed on top, so I ended up getting a maternity swim skirt and am going to test the stretch capacity of my tankini top!!  (That's the only way for me to get DDD swimsuits!)  If it runs out before my son's swimming lessons are done, I'll just wear a sports bra and tank-top with the swim skirt.  :P 

#6 of 27 Old 03-02-2011, 09:34 AM

I hear you. I think I'm in the E/F range now and finding something to fit in general is a pain in the butt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerCoasterMama View Post

Old Navy and Motherhood Maternity both have them.  And Target.com.  They're all about the same price.  Gap.com might have some in their maternity section, but I can't remember for sure.

I am extra extra extra well endowed on top, so I ended up getting a maternity swim skirt and am going to test the stretch capacity of my tankini top!!  (That's the only way for me to get DDD swimsuits!)  If it runs out before my son's swimming lessons are done, I'll just wear a sports bra and tank-top with the swim skirt.  :P 

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#7 of 27 Old 03-02-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Katie~ View Post

I hear you. I think I'm in the E/F range now and finding something to fit in general is a pain in the butt!

I think the Lands End tankini plan will work!  :)  Lands End is about the only place I can get a swimsuit and I love their tankinis!  I just wish they sold maternity bottoms.  But I found one to combine with a tankini top.  I tried mine on a couple of weeks ago and there seemed to be plenty of give left.  I only need to get through April.  I can do it!! 

#8 of 27 Old 03-02-2011, 10:41 AM

Awesome! I have the bottoms with the wide waist band so I'm hoping those will work. I've found that most maternity bottoms don't fit right anyway. I'm definitely looking forward to beach weather!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerCoasterMama View Post

I think the Lands End tankini plan will work!  :)  Lands End is about the only place I can get a swimsuit and I love their tankinis!  I just wish they sold maternity bottoms.  But I found one to combine with a tankini top.  I tried mine on a couple of weeks ago and there seemed to be plenty of give left.  I only need to get through April.  I can do it!! 

#9 of 27 Old 03-02-2011, 01:13 PM

Old Navy has (more) suits online right now and they say they'll be in the stores in April.  Last time I was pregnant I had one maternity suit (tankini from ON) but I mostly wore regular swimsuits (bikini's) in 1-2 sizes up.  I'm of the flaunt your belly persuasion. ;)  I'm planning on doing the same this time. 

Semi-crunchy Momma to a 4 year old girl and a baby girl born in July of 2011.

#10 of 27 Old 03-02-2011, 05:15 PM

I don't like Old Navy maternity. I had a lot of difficulty with a bunch of maternity stuff I order from ON. I returned all but one pair of pants and even those don't really fit well. I was just desperate for something.

I found a cute tankini at Motherhood. I ordered a small because that's the size I've had to get in all the other maternity stuff I've bought so far. It was too small. I exchanged for a medium. It fits but one strap is twisted and there's no way to untwist it. It's sewn on. So, I have to try to exchange it again.

I am beyond frustrated. I am really annoyed with the lack of decent maternity clothes at reasonable prices. I refuse to pay $50+ for something I'll only wear for a few months. irked.gif

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#11 of 27 Old 03-02-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

I don't like Old Navy maternity. I had a lot of difficulty with a bunch of maternity stuff I order from ON. I returned all but one pair of pants and even those don't really fit well. I was just desperate for something.

I found a cute tankini at Motherhood. I ordered a small because that's the size I've had to get in all the other maternity stuff I've bought so far. It was too small. I exchanged for a medium. It fits but one strap is twisted and there's no way to untwist it. It's sewn on. So, I have to try to exchange it again.

I am beyond frustrated. I am really annoyed with the lack of decent maternity clothes at reasonable prices. I refuse to pay $50+ for something I'll only wear for a few months. irked.gif

I just got the most fabulous capris from ON.  They are soooo soft and comfy...I liked them so much I went back to buy a second pair.  Unfortunately, pregnancy brain rules, and I bought exactly the same color I already had.  I didn't notice until after I'd already washed the second pair.  Oops.  I agree though, it's really hit or miss, but I find it's that way everywhere.

That *exact* same thing happened to me with the twisted strap (on a dress I got from Banana Republic).  I just fixed this past weekend (even though I bought the dress in September) it, literally took me 5 minutes to unstitch and resew.  I was surprised at how easy it was because the strap was sooo messed up.

As for suits, I'm looking for one too.  I have 4 weeks to find one that fits.  I'm going to try on my pre-pregnancy bikini and see how that goes.  The top should fit fine, but the bottoms are a size small so I'm expecting they'll create a little more muffin top that I'd like at this point.

ahhh to be able to think well enough to create a clever signature.sleeping.gif someday i will have enough sleep to accomplish this task...

Janae, mama to X (1/09) & X (7/11) and wife to J (since 9/96!)  Homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby (and toddler) wearing, co-sleeping, lactivist, intactivist. luxlove.gif

#12 of 27 Old 03-03-2011, 12:23 AM

Hi!

Where are you located?

I live in Austria and just got my maternity swimsuit at C&A. Did not see any at H&M, though. Otherwise you can now order them on Maternity.com to have them delivered oveseas.

Barbara, Mama to Isabel (06/2004), Jake (08/2006-03/2007), Noah (01/2008), and Matteo (07/2011) 
Please always research the safety of vaccines even if your doctor tells you they are harmless! novaxnocirc.gif

#13 of 27 Old 03-03-2011, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourist. View Post

I just got the most fabulous capris from ON.  They are soooo soft and comfy...I liked them so much I went back to buy a second pair.  Unfortunately, pregnancy brain rules, and I bought exactly the same color I already had.  I didn't notice until after I'd already washed the second pair.  Oops.  I agree though, it's really hit or miss, but I find it's that way everywhere.

That *exact* same thing happened to me with the twisted strap (on a dress I got from Banana Republic).  I just fixed this past weekend (even though I bought the dress in September) it, literally took me 5 minutes to unstitch and resew.  I was surprised at how easy it was because the strap was sooo messed up.

I tried several different styles and sizes from ON. None of them fit well. The store here doesn't carry much but I did go and try things on at the store before ordering. I'm not a fan of ON in general, though. I find their clothes to be very poorly made. Same with Target. I've bought a few things (not maternity) from Target that did not hold up. Also, like ON, the fabrics are very thin (=cheap?). I tried to suck it up, though, because it's maternity that I won't wear for long. If something had fit, I would have kept it. I did get some really comfy velour pants from Motherhood. They are very soft and stretchy and comfie and only $9. I'd get a couple more in different colors if I could.

As for the bathing suit strap, I don't sew. I thought of taking it to a tailor to have fixed. It might not cost any more than shipping for an exchange. However, then it's the principle of the thing. They need to know when they are sending defective products. I've got time to exchange it one more time.

I wish there were more stores in my area that carry maternity. Sometimes I can find things at Ross but I have to have the time the search through the racks. That's hard to come by with 2 LOs and a dh who's not home much.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#14 of 27 Old 03-03-2011, 01:42 PM

DDD.. I wish! I'm now a 38J, and found a bikini my size today! I was so excited, there were actually two to choose from! I got a pretty colourful top, and a red skirt-type bottom. I paid an arm and a leg for it, but it's the first time in about 10 years that I've found a bathing suit that fits! Also the first time since I was about 8 for me in to wear a bikini, but hey, I'm in Denmark, no one cares!!! :o)

For those of you in Europe looking for large cup size bras and bikini tops, www.change.com has up to cup size M in some models. I see the bras I tried on online, and it says that they go up to G but I know they have them in a J....

38 yo h20homebirth.gif,familybed1.giffemalesling2.GIFbftoddler.gifCDing, ECing, WAPF-eating, goorganic.jpg mom to Leo novaxnocirc.gif(July '11) and angel1.gif (Feb '13) and angel1.gif (Apr '13)

#15 of 27 Old 03-04-2011, 08:10 AM

I have been toying with the idea of a maternity swimsuit this time around.  Is it gross to buy one at a consignment shop?  I didn't think so, but then I read something online about stuff you should never buy used and swimsuits were on the list.  I mean, it's clean, and I'd wash it.  I put used diapers on my kidlet.  Hmm.  It would save a ton of money from buying new, though.

Mama to a daughter (3/2008) and a son (7/2011)
#16 of 27 Old 03-04-2011, 12:29 PM

I'm a 38G myself, and I think I will be wearing a tanktop with a maternity swim skirt. I don't even want to set myself up for the pain of swimsuit shopping with such melons right now. I do see lots of cute ones at motherhood and target for very reasonable prices though. I did buy one maternity swimsuit from consignment that is the Mimi Maternity brand during my last pregnancy. The bottoms fit but of course the top didn't. I don't think theres anything wrong with buying a swimsuit from consignment. They wash everything.

I'm Valerie bfinfant.gif wife to a United States Navy sailor, mom to Audreygeek.gif(6/01), Lydiathumbsuck.gif(4/08)   Jethrobabyf.gif(1/10) and Vivian babygirl.gif (6/11) novaxnocirc.gifcd.gif

#17 of 27 Old 03-04-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMum View Post

I'm a 38G myself, and I think I will be wearing a tanktop with a maternity swim skirt. I don't even want to set myself up for the pain of swimsuit shopping with such melons right now. I do see lots of cute ones at motherhood and target for very reasonable prices though. I did buy one maternity swimsuit from consignment that is the Mimi Maternity brand during my last pregnancy. The bottoms fit but of course the top didn't. I don't think theres anything wrong with buying a swimsuit from consignment. They wash everything.

Are you going to wear a regular bra under the tank top for swimming?  This is my sneaky way of saying:  if you're wearing a sports bra please tell me where you got it!  I've found some online, but they're very mixed reviews so I hardly know where to start. 

#18 of 27 Old 03-04-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMum View Post

The consignment store in my neighborhood doesn't wash things before putting them on the rack, so be careful. They don't all wash.

#19 of 27 Old 03-04-2011, 06:10 PM

Wow you'd think the consignment places would want to clean up the clothes so they look spiffy and sell! Even though I knew the place I went to washed up their stuff, I still washed everything again once I got it home to get that disinfectant funk out of the clothes.

I have a spandex type tank top from Motherhood that I got back in 2007 that works good for swimming. I am in the same boat as you as far as sports bras though. I wish I could find some in a store that I could try on, but they just don't ever have my size. I too have seen some online but don't know what's good and whats not. I normally buy all my bras at Lane Bryant, because they have the biggest selection in my size. I see they carry some sports bras online, but I don't believe I have ever seen any in their store. I know they make quality bras though, so maybe they would be worth looking into!

I'm Valerie bfinfant.gif wife to a United States Navy sailor, mom to Audreygeek.gif(6/01), Lydiathumbsuck.gif(4/08)   Jethrobabyf.gif(1/10) and Vivian babygirl.gif (6/11) novaxnocirc.gifcd.gif

#20 of 27 Old 03-05-2011, 03:08 PM

dude, i don't even care, I'm wearing a bikini.

#21 of 27 Old 03-05-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narleegates View Post

Me too....that's what I did the other 2 times, found a cheap bikini in one size up-mainly to accomadate my chest. Now I have a bikini that fits the bigger boobs, so hopefully that will work.

If not, I have a tankini that my SIL gaev me, but I've never tried it on so not sure it fits at all. I'm definitely going to need a bathing suit, probably in 2 months time around here.

Kelly, wife to DH, mom to Caden Reese (10-2-06), Tessa Brynn (12-26-08 ), and Maddox Quinn (7-16-11). Fur-mama to Finnegan, Ripley, Raisin (my little kitty amputee) and Kimchi. 748/2011, 2028/2012-I did it!! 2023/2013-Again!!! 404/2014
#22 of 27 Old 03-05-2011, 08:29 PM

well, last summer I had big boobs, then in the end of summer/fall I lost some weight and went down a cup.  Then I got pregnant, and my boobs are back to their last-summer size so i might not even have to get a new one if this is as much as they grow

#23 of 27 Old 03-07-2011, 04:20 PM

I was able to find a maternity suit at a maternity outlet store in San Marcos, TX a few weeks ago for about half the list price. My pre-preg size is small but I had to go up to a medium to accommodate the boobs. I think it was Motherhood brand.

#24 of 27 Old 03-14-2011, 07:15 AM

So...swimming lessons start in two weeks.  I got brave and tried on the tankini+maternity swim skirt.  Tankini looks fine.  Plenty of give to survive through the end of April.  Swim bottom...cuts me across the middle and looks super attractive, but I will survive.  It's not like I'm going to be trying to pick up guys at my son's swimming lessons while 7 months pregnant!!  ;)   But for those going the regular tankini route...seems like it's going to work.  :)  And I was happy to see how long the top is.  It ought to cover for a long time! 

#25 of 27 Old 03-14-2011, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I just found http://www.fitmaternity.com/index.html  and it looks like a gold mine.  Pretty expensive but a couple of the suits they swear you can use all through pregnancy/postpartum.  I'm looking for a suit I can swim laps in and had just about given up so I'm willing to give this a try.

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#26 of 27 Old 03-15-2011, 10:55 AM

In follow-up to my original post, JCPenney has finally listed maternity swimsuits for sale.  I have found them to be very good quality and fit.

http://www5.jcpenney.com/jcp/XGN.aspx?DeptID=70656&CatID=72501&SO=0&Ne=4294957900+29+3+11+1022+5+23+596+8+1031+585+18+904+833+949&shopperType=G&N=4294940775&Nao=0&PSO=0&x5view=1&CmCatId=70656|72501&mscssid=60477c7489c474592ad4fe35adc858706xMnVNoVzaGoxMnVNoVzaGW200B622757546CA1D585457E9A0F7AF0C3921107417&CatSel=4294940775--swimwear&sa=1&SelDim= 

Quote:
Originally Posted by melinstar View Post

I found some really nice ones on jcpenney.com during my summer pregnancy in 2008.  But, I just went to the site, and there's not one listed on the regular maternity section--strange, since regular swimwear is already out.  Bummer.  But, there are still a few in the maternity clearance section.

Mom to D-Dog (4/05), DD (9/08), and expecting a baby boy in July (edd 7/7/11).

#27 of 27 Old 03-15-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourist. View Post

I tried several different styles and sizes from ON. None of them fit well. The store here doesn't carry much but I did go and try things on at the store before ordering. I'm not a fan of ON in general, though. I find their clothes to be very poorly made. Same with Target. I've bought a few things (not maternity) from Target that did not hold up. Also, like ON, the fabrics are very thin (=cheap?). I tried to suck it up, though, because it's maternity that I won't wear for long. If something had fit, I would have kept it. I did get some really comfy velour pants from Motherhood. They are very soft and stretchy and comfie and only $9. I'd get a couple more in different colors if I could.

As for the bathing suit strap, I don't sew. I thought of taking it to a tailor to have fixed. It might not cost any more than shipping for an exchange. However, then it's the principle of the thing. They need to know when they are sending defective products. I've got time to exchange it one more time.

I wish there were more stores in my area that carry maternity. Sometimes I can find things at Ross but I have to have the time the search through the racks. That's hard to come by with 2 LOs and a dh who's not home much.

I saw those pants at Motherhood and really wanted to get them.  I have some non-maternity ones that should fit the whole time though, so I didn't indulge, although at that price it was hard to say no.

And for some reason I missed that it was a bathing suit strap ... yea, no way I'd attempt to fix that.  I'm not a sewer either, my dress was pretty simple and silk so easy to fix the one 1/2 width of stitches.  Nothing more frustrating that having to return clothes for defects.  So annyoing.

I agree with you, Ross can totally be good for maternity if you have the patience to search their racks..and like you, with LO's in tow, I've found that to be next to impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narleegates View Post

ROTFLMAO.gifI love it!  Me too.  I borrowed a tankini from my friend, but have a bikini that I'm going to use as well. 

ahhh to be able to think well enough to create a clever signature.sleeping.gif someday i will have enough sleep to accomplish this task...

Janae, mama to X (1/09) & X (7/11) and wife to J (since 9/96!)  Homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby (and toddler) wearing, co-sleeping, lactivist, intactivist. luxlove.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page