Ah come on, it's too early for this stuff... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-02-2011, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So this week, at 20w and a few days, I've been having slightly swollen ankles and heartburn.  I mean, I expected them both, but not already.  

I'm thinking that the ankle thing has to do with the seats at work.  By the time I get in bed they look 100% normal (even though I've not had them elevated at all)...and the heartburn is because I'm starving and don't eat small meals like I should.

Anyway...Is anyone else experiencing the not so fun symptoms earlier this time than they did during previous pregnancies?  smile.gif

ahhh to be able to think well enough to create a clever signature.sleeping.gif someday i will have enough sleep to accomplish this task...

Janae, mama to X (1/09) & X (7/11) and wife to J (since 9/96!)  Homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby (and toddler) wearing, co-sleeping, lactivist, intactivist. luxlove.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2011, 08:06 PM

I'm only pregnant with my first and am 19 weeks tomorrow but I have heartburn as well.  I'm on my feet a lot and have sock marks around my ankles when I get home as well but my feet never look swollen. 

I find certain foods trigger the heartburn more and eating "too much" at once triggers actual reflux. 

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

Old 03-02-2011, 08:49 PM

I've had heartburn since sometime before 20 weeks, not sure when it started exactly. I've had horrible reflux with each of my pregnancies, it normally starts around 5pm so I have to be sure to eat a small snack, then have a light dinner, and then a snack before bed. That seems to keep it in check. I can't eat big meals anymore, I usually have 6 snacks/light meals throughout the day. I've found that eating an egg and a piece of toast before bed works like a charm so I can sleep without the reflux.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

Old 03-02-2011, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)

I can't remember if it's early or not...but the past couple of weeks, I keep Tums by my bed.  Every night like clockwork I get mild heartburn.  Nothing like 3rd tri heartburn though!! 

And I have noticed, and pretended I didn't see, puffy ankles.  I remember that with DS starting when the weather was still hot, so that's about now I suppose. 

I also have my LEAST favorite symptom.  Not sure if it's a quirk of my own body...but OMG my nipples HURT if it's even remotely chilly.  HURT!!!!  I remember this from last time too when the weather cooled (3rd tri).  The only cure was to wear a large sweatshirt!  It kept it up until I gave birth.  At least this time, the weather is getting warmer soon.  So there's hope I won't have to endure 5 months.  I hate hate hate this symptom.  And of course, I'm sharing it with you, my anonymous internet buddies.  :P  No one in real life knows I get this symptom. 

Old 03-02-2011, 10:18 PM

I've got ultra sensitive nipples too, except I went and made it worse by allowing DD#2 to latch briefly blush.gif (she was being silly, just weaned in January). My nipples were hard/erect and sensitive for days after that, not just when cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerCoasterMama View Post

I can't remember if it's early or not...but the past couple of weeks, I keep Tums by my bed.  Every night like clockwork I get mild heartburn.  Nothing like 3rd tri heartburn though!! 

And I have noticed, and pretended I didn't see, puffy ankles.  I remember that with DS starting when the weather was still hot, so that's about now I suppose. 

I also have my LEAST favorite symptom.  Not sure if it's a quirk of my own body...but OMG my nipples HURT if it's even remotely chilly.  HURT!!!!  I remember this from last time too when the weather cooled (3rd tri).  The only cure was to wear a large sweatshirt!  It kept it up until I gave birth.  At least this time, the weather is getting warmer soon.  So there's hope I won't have to endure 5 months.  I hate hate hate this symptom.  And of course, I'm sharing it with you, my anonymous internet buddies.  :P  No one in real life knows I get this symptom. 

My biggest symptom is just feeling outright huge. My MW alerted me to the fact that there is a nice 4 finger-width gap in my abdominal muscles, greensad.gif (having a 1-2 finger width gap is average.) Apparently my muscles didn't close up all that well post-partem and THAT's why this belly feels alot more buldging than it has before. I'm bummed because I have to really watch the yoga postures and getting that gap seperated post-p will be that much more difficult. MW says I can't work on my "core" until post-p.

winner.jpgFormer WIC Peer Breastfeeding Counselor (2005-2011) now SAHM to bouncy.gif DD (8/2003), thumbsuck.gif DD (8/2008homebirth.jpg ), mate to jammin.gif since 07/2000. Expecting Baby Roo Mid July 2011!  stork-suprise.gifcd.gif

Old 03-02-2011, 11:18 PM

I'm so with you on the heartburn.  My midwife recommended almonds, which made it worse.  Online I saw apples recommended, which made it worse.  The only thing that helps is not eating as much...but since I STILL have morning sickness I can't get even the slightest bit hungry without feeling nauseous.  I am a mess, guys.  eyesroll.gif  I also feel huge already.  I'm constantly looking at my belly and wondering how the heck I'm going to manage four months from now.  Seriously, how much bigger (and more uncomfortable) can it get???

My midwife said this is just what happens the second time around.  Why didn't anyone warn me?

Old 03-03-2011, 01:20 AM

I have symptoms at 20 weeks I usually had at 30 weeks: crammed stomach, fingers falling asleep and tingling....

I assume it is because I am older and have an anterior placenta for the first time....

Barbara, Mama to Isabel (06/2004), Jake (08/2006-03/2007), Noah (01/2008), and Matteo (07/2011) 
Please always research the safety of vaccines even if your doctor tells you they are harmless! novaxnocirc.gif

Old 03-03-2011, 06:37 AM

This is my first pregnancy, I'm just about 19 weeks and I have heartburn almost every day.  I've been having it for about a month now.  In fact, I was up at 2AM with it this morning (ok ok...the culprit for that was a chocolate donut I had before bed).  I'm not swollen but I expect that to happen, being pregnant in the summer and all.  I didn't know it was early to be having heartburn, I thought it was par for the course.

Danielle (29)reading.gif married to my best friend Lou guitar.gif since 9/10/10 stillheart.gif ,mama to Ada Adelleenergy.gif since 8/5/11, and expecting a new addition around 4/19/14 stork-boy.gif
Old 03-03-2011, 07:58 AM

I am 19 weeks, first timer. My hands have been going numb for weeks, I have had heart burn for 5 years, i have continued to take my daily medication. I have had headaches, sinus issues. I have had round ligament pain for at least a month, and since two weeks ago, one a week i get those sharp stabbing pains. I only had that once last month. Feel queezy every day, when will it stop?  disappointed.gifand threw up last friday after my u/s!!

Old 03-03-2011, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaqueen View Post

I am 19 weeks, first timer. My hands have been going numb for weeks, I have had heart burn for 5 years, i have continued to take my daily medication. I have had headaches, sinus issues. I have had round ligament pain for at least a month, and since two weeks ago, one a week i get those sharp stabbing pains. I only had that once last month. Feel queezy every day, when will it stop?  disappointed.gifand threw up last friday after my u/s!!

Oh yuck!  Hope you feel better soon!  My sis-in-law and I had to agree not to talk about pregnancy because hers are so horrible when we were pregnant together.  She had similar nausea that lasted almost the whole time.  :(  I think she finally got a break from it (or some decent meds from her doctor) by the last few months.

The numb hands haven't kicked in yet for me.  I got that really badly with DS.  But I don't think it was until 3rd tri.  And then it magically disappeared within a day or so of giving birth once I got rid of the extra fluid in my body (translation:  pee like crazy for 24 hours!). 

Old 03-03-2011, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yell View Post

This is my first pregnancy, I'm just about 19 weeks and I have heartburn almost every day.  I've been having it for about a month now.  In fact, I was up at 2AM with it this morning (ok ok...the culprit for that was a chocolate donut I had before bed).  I'm not swollen but I expect that to happen, being pregnant in the summer and all.  I didn't know it was early to be having heartburn, I thought it was par for the course.

It's early for me as I didn't get it last time until 30+ weeks (but boy did I get it bad when I got it!).  Two of my best friends didn't get heartburn one single time during their recent pregnancies, I'm so very jealous.  I guess as a side, maybe the heartburn thing has to do if you get heartburn when not pregnant?  I had never had it before in my life before my last pregnancy, and didn't have it before this pregnancy so I'm generally not prone to it.  Knowing I have 20ish weeks of it ahead of me...that's kind of sad.  ROTFLMAO.gif

RollerCoasterMama - I'm glad I'm not alone on the swelling.  I wish that I'd noticed it first though, and not my MIL.  She saw a little puff at the top of my shoe and had to get a closer look, lifted my pants leg and then  blahblah.gif.  I wish things like that didn't bug me so much. 

ahhh to be able to think well enough to create a clever signature.sleeping.gif someday i will have enough sleep to accomplish this task...

Janae, mama to X (1/09) & X (7/11) and wife to J (since 9/96!)  Homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby (and toddler) wearing, co-sleeping, lactivist, intactivist. luxlove.gif

Old 03-03-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaqueen View Post

That sounds horrible Seaqueen, I can't image how I would be if I were still feeling queasy.  It's really draining.  I've also gotten the stabbing pains and some numbness in my hands, but it's usually in the middle of the night or in the morning when I get up.  I DID throw up a couple of weeks ago because I had tea on an empty stomach.  I couldn't believe how fussy the baby was being!

Hang in there Seaqueen...I've never done this before either so I can't say for sure it's going to get better....but....it's all apart of the experience?

Danielle (29)reading.gif married to my best friend Lou guitar.gif since 9/10/10 stillheart.gif ,mama to Ada Adelleenergy.gif since 8/5/11, and expecting a new addition around 4/19/14 stork-boy.gif
Old 03-03-2011, 02:28 PM

This is my first, and I'm due July 11th.

Heartburn, check.

Acid reflux waking me up in the middle of the night, check.

Sore nipples when I'm cold, since week 4, CHECK (and I'm living in Denmark!!!).

Luckily no morning sickness, and as yet no swelling.

I'm so happy about being pregnant, though, that I welcome any and all of the symptoms :o))))))

38 yo h20homebirth.gif,familybed1.giffemalesling2.GIFbftoddler.gifCDing, ECing, WAPF-eating, goorganic.jpg mom to Leo novaxnocirc.gif(July '11) and angel1.gif (Feb '13) and angel1.gif (Apr '13)

Old 03-03-2011, 04:42 PM

This made be TMI but my nipples have been  so sore that I have to be careful when I shower because the water hurts!

Lisa, Mama to two 2-26-09 and 6-15-11

"Hey baby, do you like trains?"

Old 03-04-2011, 06:36 AM

This is my first, and I've had heartburn since 6 or 7 DPO. It kicks in between 2pm and 3pm every day and stays until around 8 or 9pm. The only thing that makes it go away is eating - small, heavy meals that take a while to digest. I've never had heartburn before in my life so it's really quite annoying. But it hasn't bothered me while sleeping, so I'm definitely thankful for that!

No swelling or anything yet. It's still super cold here so I hope my nipples don't start getting sore when it's cold - we've got at leasta nother month of serious winter left!!

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

Owned by Friesians and Drum Horses, plus the dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens

User Tag List