Childbirth classes? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 03-04-2011, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is anyone signing up for classes yet?  I have no idea what to take.  My MW (hospital based) said to take Birthing from Within or Hypnobirthing/babies, but it's $300!  The standard prep class at the hospital is $60, but she said it is terrible and doesn't prepare you for natural childbirth.

Are the hypno classes really worth the money?  Could I just study at home and get the same benefits and knowledge?  Is anyone else in this boat? 

#2 of 26 Old 03-04-2011, 08:42 PM

DDCC. DH and I really benefited from bradley classes. I probably would have been fine with the book, but the classes were great for DH to learn about natural childbirth. He needed to know too, not just me.

We paid $50 for the materials and bartered photography (which I do) for the other $200.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#3 of 26 Old 03-05-2011, 07:50 AM

We are planning to take a class called Birth Rhythms. There is very little options where we are for courses and this is the one that best fits what we want. The doula who teaches it is also the one who owns the birthing suite we'll be birthing at, so it makes sense for us.

I have also just purchased the home study course for hypnobabies. I got it off ebay from Hypnobabies itself, so it's new and came with all the homestudy books and CDs plus 4 MP3 tracks for $135 (which was only a little bit more than most of the used ones). There's no hypnobabies course offered near me so home study is my only option smile.gif That's fine with me as I really don't have time to drive an hour in to the city for courses very often!

DH is reading Husband Coached Childbirth and I'm reading Ina May\'s Guide to Childbirth. So hopefully we'll feel a bit prepared smile.gif

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

Owned by Friesians and Drum Horses, plus the dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens

#4 of 26 Old 03-05-2011, 03:18 PM

I ordered the Home Study Hypnobabies.  I also just registered last night for the hospital re-fresher/tour in June.  Last time around I took the hospital's Natural Childbirth class and it was GREAT (they offered a "regular" and a "natural").  We both had a wonderful experience and it helped my husband change from "not going to be there at all" to a fabulous birth coach.

Semi-crunchy Momma to a 4 year old girl and a baby girl born in July of 2011.

#5 of 26 Old 03-06-2011, 06:37 AM

I am doing hypnobabies home study. I have heard from a lot of other women that have done both the Hypnobabies class and the homestudy, that they benefited much more from the home study. 

I'm Valerie bfinfant.gif wife to a United States Navy sailor, mom to Audreygeek.gif(6/01), Lydiathumbsuck.gif(4/08)   Jethrobabyf.gif(1/10) and Vivian babygirl.gif (6/11) novaxnocirc.gifcd.gif

#6 of 26 Old 03-07-2011, 08:50 PM

I'm also doing the Hypnobabies home study. I have a friend who is a Hypnobabies instructor, but her classes are geared more towards people birthing in the hospital, and a lot of the topics they cover are things I already know about, so I figured the home study would be a good option.

doula, wife to Dave ribbonyellow.gif, mom to Noah (5/14/06) superhero.gifand Faith (11/13/08) ribbonlime.gif (Gastroschisis Awareness) 127 days in the NICU, and 6 weeks thousands of miles from home, because of gastroschisis.  Expecting #3 2ndtri.gif July 2011! computergeek2.gif www.frugallynatural.org
#7 of 26 Old 03-10-2011, 04:04 AM

I dusted off my old Hypnobabies Home Study course, and I'm going to do that again.  Actually, I'm not going to do the whole course, just the CDs.  I listened to my Hypnobabies CDs during my last birth and it went really well -- I had a really easy birth.  And I had really only done a fraction of the hypnosis homework (I could not lie still at the end of my pregnancy due to Restless Leg Syndrome).  

For those doing Hypnobabies, I think if money or time is tight, it's just fine to skip the Hypnobabies in-person classes and just do the home study course.   

DS (10/03), DD (11/05) and expecting a new one (July 2011)
#8 of 26 Old 03-11-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillWaters View Post

For those doing Hypnobabies, I think if money or time is tight, it's just fine to skip the Hypnobabies in-person classes and just do the home study course.   

I'm really glad so far that I chose the home study, and I just started about a week ago!

doula, wife to Dave ribbonyellow.gif, mom to Noah (5/14/06) superhero.gifand Faith (11/13/08) ribbonlime.gif (Gastroschisis Awareness) 127 days in the NICU, and 6 weeks thousands of miles from home, because of gastroschisis.  Expecting #3 2ndtri.gif July 2011! computergeek2.gif www.frugallynatural.org
#9 of 26 Old 03-17-2011, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Has anyone done a Birthing from Within home study?

#10 of 26 Old 03-21-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasmith View Post

Has anyone done a Birthing from Within home study?

I'd be interested in that also. 
We're  only signed up for a 1day local class.  DH is out as my birth partner.  So I either need to hire a doula or hope my friend isn't working the big day.  the whole thing is all jumbled in my mind still.  ugh!  I need Birthing from Within counseling!

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF

#11 of 26 Old 03-22-2011, 03:27 PM

We have really limitted birthing classes, just the local health office, so I am reading and reading!  I wish I had more options, especially Birthing from Within!

#12 of 26 Old 03-22-2011, 10:06 PM

We just started doing the Hypnobabies home study course. It was $148 and I can tell I am going to get a LOT out of it. The standard hospital class is definitely not for you if you want a natural birth.

Wifey buddamomimg1.png to DH jammin.gif, Mama chicken3.gif to DS 8, DS 6, DD 1

homeschool.gif   lactivist.gif    h20homebirth.gif    goorganic.jpg

#13 of 26 Old 03-22-2011, 10:09 PM

Just ordered the Hypnobabies home study version.  I wasn't thinking about doing anything else by my MIL is strongly suggesting doing a Bradley Class.  She offered to teach us at no cost which would be a huge bonus. 

IDK!  anyone know if hypnobabies would be enough for a first timer?

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#14 of 26 Old 03-23-2011, 08:15 AM

IMO the standard hospital class is not what you want even if you want an epidural.  I haven't been to a hospital class yet that I though would be adequate to prepare someone for labor & birth! shake.gif

I'm thinking about getting the hypnobabies home study;. I'm trying to find a used one- does that ever happen? 

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF

#15 of 26 Old 03-23-2011, 08:52 PM

ebay if you have the patience.  There is a momma in the Aug DDC that was looking to sell hers.

Worth a look.

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#16 of 26 Old 03-24-2011, 06:06 AM

I think I'm going to do the Birthworks program. Has anyone else done it, or know someone that's done it?  It's only $50 more than our local hospital program, so it seems totally worth it to me. 

Danielle (29)reading.gif married to my best friend Lou guitar.gif since 9/10/10 stillheart.gif ,mama to Ada Adelleenergy.gif since 8/5/11, and expecting a new addition around 4/19/14 stork-boy.gif
#17 of 26 Old 03-30-2011, 11:23 PM

My husband and I chose to take aBirthing From Within classes for our first child and are doing a refresher workshop with #2.  Ours was a class that met for 3 hours once a week for I think 7 weeks.  We became very close friends with a number of the parents and basically it changed our lives.  These friends are now family and part of our tribe.  I'm not sure there is an opportunity to get to know people in one or two day classes.  It was also beneficial to explore our own emotions and partnerships. And of course it was useful in learning some labor techniques especially for a natural birth.  I highly recommend it.  Much luck in whatever path you choose!

mama to Quinn born 7.9.09, Audrey born 7.11.11, expecting baby3 July 19 2014
#18 of 26 Old 03-31-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yell View Post

I think I'm going to do the Birthworks program. Has anyone else done it, or know someone that's done it? It's only $50 more than our local hospital program, so it seems totally worth it to me.

I did Birthworks during my last pregnancy. It was great! I didn't really need it for the practical information about pregnancy, birth, nutrition, etc. because I was already pretty well educated (my mom is a midwife and actually was a Birthworks instructor during my teen years, so maybe that's why) but it was still worthwhile for my husband and to help us both work through psychological stuff and prepare for our baby. It's a good program for sure!

ETA: I'd choose Birthworks over ANY hospital class any day! It's worth the extra $50 for what you get!
#19 of 26 Old 03-31-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamahen2coop View Post

IMO the standard hospital class is not what you want even if you want an epidural. I haven't been to a hospital class yet that I though would be adequate to prepare someone for labor & birth! shake.gif

I'm thinking about getting the hypnobabies home study;. I'm trying to find a used one- does that ever happen?

Yes! I am getting a used one this week from a friend for $70, and I already have someone lined up who wants to buy it from me for the same price when I'm done--score!! What I did is I asked my local attachment parenting group (we have a Yahoo group so I just emailed the whole group) if anyone had a copy to lend or sell, and got a few responses. You could google to see if there's a similar group where you live, ask on your regional tribe forum on MDC, and put out a "wanted" ad on craigslist. eBay too--but when I looked on there the prices were higher. It's easy to re-sell when you're done with it though as someone is always looking.
#20 of 26 Old 03-31-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianBlesing View Post

Just ordered the Hypnobabies home study version. I wasn't thinking about doing anything else by my MIL is strongly suggesting doing a Bradley Class. She offered to teach us at no cost which would be a huge bonus.

IDK! anyone know if hypnobabies would be enough for a first timer?

The lady who created Hypnobabies (from what I am reading in the introduction materials now) is actually a former Bradley instructor and it specifically says NOT to do Bradley or any other class while you're doing Hypnobabies, that it will counteract the mental training you will be working on if you do (because of the huge focus on pain and pain relief, even in Bradley--wereas HB trains your mind to perceive things differently so that there is no fear of pain, and often, even no pain!)...and also Hypnobabies includes all of the info about preg, labor, birth, nutrition, fetal positioning, etc. that you would get from one of those classes anyway.
#21 of 26 Old 03-31-2011, 11:06 AM

DH and I are both reading "Husband Coached Childbirth." I'm reading first and highlighting the important stuff, and then he gets it. There is A TON of repetition in it, though. Kind of like a broken record. We do plan on taking a Bradley class, too. mostly because it will be so much easier to learn these skills with an actual instructor who can answer questions. It is $300, but it's well worth it if you ask me.

#22 of 26 Old 04-04-2011, 05:33 PM

Ha ha ha! I did the same thing with the book and my DH with DS2! It is so repetitive, there was no way I could expect him to read it without falling asleep.

Wifey buddamomimg1.png to DH jammin.gif, Mama chicken3.gif to DS 8, DS 6, DD 1

homeschool.gif   lactivist.gif    h20homebirth.gif    goorganic.jpg

#23 of 26 Old 05-11-2011, 11:56 AM

Does anyone NOT have a technique or method? ....My midwife gave a couple of us a birth class but it didn't touch on any techniques or anything. What if I just show up to have my baby? I do have a doula & like I said a midwife with an assistant... plus hubby... Anyone done this without studying a method??

Mama to boy born 7/18/11 and another on the way in November '13  Rainbow.gif

#24 of 26 Old 05-11-2011, 12:56 PM

I've never taken a childbirth class- I've had 5 babies all born at home (including my first whom are identical twins) with easy labors and births. My thought is, women have been giving birth naturally for eons and it's primal. Just don't be afraid to surrender and for me it's a mind over matter thing. I just stay calm, focused and positive throughout and breathe.

Edited to add; I did take a few private hypnobirthing classes last time but that all went out the window when labor came on as I wasn't in the mood to listen to anything.

#25 of 26 Old 05-11-2011, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guatemama1 View Post

Does anyone NOT have a technique or method? ....My midwife gave a couple of us a birth class but it didn't touch on any techniques or anything. What if I just show up to have my baby? I do have a doula & like I said a midwife with an assistant... plus hubby... Anyone done this without studying a method??

I didn't have anything special with DS.  We took the class offered by the hospital, but it was kind of pointless.  We didn't do anything that we learned there...honestly, most of the positions they showed us weren't anything I was at all interested in.  Too touchy feely...during labor I do not want a lot of touching.  Too much stimulus.

The best gift I gave myself before having DS was to educate myself so that I didn't show up afraid.  My lack of fear enabled me as a first time mom in a main-stream setting to have the confidence to go for a natural birth.  And the nurses and XH supported me through it.  We forgot the birthplan in the car, and there wasn't time to go get it...but XH knew what I wanted and communicated it to the staff. 

This time, I'm not doing the class.  We are using a doula, and will be at a hospital -- but this hospital is much more gung-ho about natural birth than the other one.  (After DS was born, the staff kept commenting on how well I'd done since they don't get very many med-free births.  This staff won't be nearly as wow-ed by no meds...they see it much more frequently!  ;)) 

Like a PP said...it's primal.  I did what I had to do.  I did what my body needed to do to deal with what was going on.  For me, that meant tuning out all other stimulus.  I literally spent the whole last bit of labor with my eyes closed and whispering.  Any time I opened my eyes it was just overload...so I turned back inwards.  I would have never guessed that before hand! 

I'd guess (totally opinion here) that having a specific method is as much about taking care of fear of the unknown as anything else.  It's something you can control when going into a situation full of potential unknowns.  :) 

#26 of 26 Old 05-12-2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerCoasterMama View Post

I'd guess (totally opinion here) that having a specific method is as much about taking care of fear of the unknown as anything else.  It's something you can control when going into a situation full of potential unknowns.  :) 

I'm of the same opinion. smile.gif

I didn't use any technique during labor, and even though I studied Hypnobabies, I really don't think I actually expected to use it during labor.  Listening to pregnancy affirmations really helped put me in the frame of mind that I needed to be in to "go with the flow" of what was physically happening.  It helped me be without fear, without anxiety, and allowed me to surrender to the process.  There was no other technique that I used to control pain or anything during the actual birth. 

ahhh to be able to think well enough to create a clever signature.sleeping.gif someday i will have enough sleep to accomplish this task...

Janae, mama to X (1/09) & X (7/11) and wife to J (since 9/96!)  Homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby (and toddler) wearing, co-sleeping, lactivist, intactivist. luxlove.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page