Slings - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-07-2011, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey ladies! What's the best place on the web to buy a ring sling, Mai Tai, or a moby? I really don't want to spend a fortune and don't mind buying used!  femalesling2.GIF

TIA

OH, and for those of you who haven't seen this yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU84rDbdu8Q

Loving my twin boys! fencing.gif 11/03/2009 And my daughter 08/16/11 hearts.gif novaxnocirc.gif vbac.gifmomma  chicken3.gif Homesteader supermod.gif Doula

#2 of 10 Old 03-07-2011, 10:09 AM

I prefer the forums at thebabywearer.com, they have a great FSOT section!!

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#3 of 10 Old 03-07-2011, 03:47 PM

I'm going to make mine.  There are some great resources on this forum. 

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#4 of 10 Old 03-07-2011, 08:43 PM

You can make your own Moby super easily, just go to the fabric store, buy 5 yards of knit material (t-shirt fabric), cut it in half lengthwise, and you have 2 wraps. No sewing needed, because the fabric won't fray.

doula, wife to Dave ribbonyellow.gif, mom to Noah (5/14/06) superhero.gifand Faith (11/13/08) ribbonlime.gif (Gastroschisis Awareness) 127 days in the NICU, and 6 weeks thousands of miles from home, because of gastroschisis.  Expecting #3 2ndtri.gif July 2011! computergeek2.gif www.frugallynatural.org
#5 of 10 Old 08-04-2011, 11:34 AM

That video is so cute!!!! : )  

I am a new Mom to be in November.  I love the idea of baby wearing and I really intend to but someone scared me the other day saying babies have been known to  suffocate in them... I also know babies who have been just fine in them... but are there any brands that you don't recommend?? I bought a Seven Sling b./c I got a good deal on line, my neighbor gave me her baby bjorn, someone else gave me another contraption I can't figure out how to use! : ) lol 

Anyway, if you have any insight, I'd love to hear!! 

Diane

#6 of 10 Old 08-04-2011, 12:44 PM

I got one of those Seven slings too from the MDC offer but I think it sucks. No luck with that thing. Maybe I need an in-home tutorial. I'm about 2 weeks in with my #1 and today we broke out the Moby on pops, in the Kangaroo hold, which was pretty sweet. My MIL gave me a traditional rebozo, which she carried all her babes in, but I'm not cool enough to rock that yet. I'm still getting used to handing a newborn :) I got my Moby on Amazon.com, so not any cheaper than most places :)

DianeLutzYoga likes this.

Mama to boy born 7/18/11 and another on the way in November '13  Rainbow.gif

#7 of 10 Old 08-04-2011, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLutzYoga View Post

That video is so cute!!!! : )  

I am a new Mom to be in November.  I love the idea of baby wearing and I really intend to but someone scared me the other day saying babies have been known to  suffocate in them... I also know babies who have been just fine in them... but are there any brands that you don't recommend?? I bought a Seven Sling b./c I got a good deal on line, my neighbor gave me her baby bjorn, someone else gave me another contraption I can't figure out how to use! : ) lol 

Anyway, if you have any insight, I'd love to hear!! 

Diane

Baby's suffocating in slings is from using the 'cradle hold' which they don't recommend anymore.  Also, the baby bjorn is a 'crotch dangler' sling which they also don't recommend. You want a sling that holds the knees at the same level as the butt!  You're only supposed to wear your baby facing you, and their head should be close enough so that you can reach down and kiss the top of it.

Loving my twin boys! fencing.gif 11/03/2009 And my daughter 08/16/11 hearts.gif novaxnocirc.gif vbac.gifmomma  chicken3.gif Homesteader supermod.gif Doula

#8 of 10 Old 08-04-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieCo View Post

Baby's suffocating in slings is from using the 'cradle hold' which they don't recommend anymore.  Also, the baby bjorn is a 'crotch dangler' sling which they also don't recommend. You want a sling that holds the knees at the same level as the butt!  You're only supposed to wear your baby facing you, and their head should be close enough so that you can reach down and kiss the top of it.

Yes this seems to by my issue with the Seven sling, the only hold for 0-4 mos is the cradle style and I can't figure out how to NOT have the chin on the chest. Meh. Also with the Moby cradle hold... mmm I should head over to the baby wearing forums :)

Mama to boy born 7/18/11 and another on the way in November '13  Rainbow.gif

#9 of 10 Old 08-04-2011, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by guatemama1 View Post

Yes this seems to by my issue with the Seven sling, the only hold for 0-4 mos is the cradle style and I can't figure out how to NOT have the chin on the chest. Meh. Also with the Moby cradle hold... mmm I should head over to the baby wearing forums :)

The hold that I was taught ... she called the 'check mark' hold, that was the closest thing to a cradle hold, and she showed it to me using a ring sling.  I like the moby for itty bitty babies!

#10 of 10 Old 08-06-2011, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I LOVE my ring sling by Sleeping Baby Productions. I actually just ordered a second one in another color and fabric. I have a Tencel fabric one now, and it is very soft, light, and breathable, but strong. Perfect for summer. I've been wearing my baby (almost 4 weeks old) in it every day. I just ordered a twill fabric one in black, though I wish she had the Tencel fabric in black. She gets new fabrics all the time, though, so you just have to keep checking. The shoulders are GREAT and really distribute the baby's weight well. I've had no back pain at all. There is a learning curve if you've never used a sling before, but ring slings are much easier than the Moby wrap IMO. Here's the link:

http://www.sleepingbaby.net/

I also have a Moby wrap, but it's more complicated to get the baby in and out, so I haven't really used it yet. I think I will use it more when the baby gets a little heavier and I need to distribute the weight on both shoulders and/or I will be carrying the baby for a long time. We're planning to get a Beco Gemini soft structured carrier soon too, for longer outings and travel. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page