Pregnancy Eczema? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-10-2011, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello!

Any other itchy mamas out there?

I have finally been diagnosed with "atopic dermatitis," a kind of eczema.  I have always had sensitive skin, but nothing like this! And I have read that 60-80% of all cases of eczema in women first occur during pregnancy.  How fun!  

I have been taking homeopathic remedies and using a homeopathic cream and sometimes taking Benadryl (risk category B) at night to help me sleep, which I don't like to do, but sometimes it's necessary so that I don't wake up completely bloody.

Another thing I find brings relief is a cream that has peppermint, pepper and ginger in it.  

I really hope this greatly diminishes after giving birth.  

Are there any other eczema sufferers out there, and how do you manage it during pregnancy?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 03-10-2011, 11:12 AM

I have atopy during pregnancy as well and figured out exactly what it all was for the first time with this pregnancy. I have eczema on my hands and then it spreads to my arms later on and post-partum and goes away on its own. I've also developed an allergy to my wedding rings and break out in a blistery, painful rash from them. This is the first time they've ever bothered me.

All of the skin issues are also related to other allergies, apparently. Most commonly seasonal. I haven't had seasonal allergies since before my pregnancy with DS but they hit me really hard this time around and I've had some serious sinus issues.

My children also get eczema and real shea butter works great. We've used Eucerin when it gets really bad. We're currently using a lotion with shea, argan oil, and chamomile and it seems to be working well.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#3 of 7 Old 03-10-2011, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Katie.  I'll see what I can find (I live in Costa Rica).  Mostly it's the itch that just drives me batty!

#4 of 7 Old 03-25-2011, 09:22 PM

Hmm.  Costa Rica.  Maybe someone could mail you something.  I find that the calendula cream by California Baby works really well.  I have also had some relief for my dry, flaky, itchy skin with Burt's Bees Fragrance Free Shea Butter & Vitamin E lotion.  I got a big tube at Target.  Maybe you could find something with shea butter in it in CR.  Or aloe, maybe?  Hmm.  I hope you can find something that provides you with some relief!

Mama to a daughter (3/2008) and a son (7/2011)
#5 of 7 Old 03-26-2011, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

I'm so happy to report that I am doing much better! For about a month I was really in hell!  I had extremely itchy hives from neck to ankle and my arms and hands were swollen.  It was just terrible!  

First, the evening after my 20 wk. ultrasound I started noticing some relief.  Stress out much??  I think I had just worked myself into a major tizzy and once I saw that our little guy looks great, I was so relieved!

Also, I'm taking a few teaspoons a day of Bragg's Apple Cider vinegar.

Also, I've order this cream in case of a flare-up.  

In general, I still have itchy skin, but I think that's just part of pregnancy.  But the hives and swelling are almost completely gone and the itching doesn't keep me awake at night anymore.  I feel like a new woman!

Thanks for the comments / suggestions! 

#6 of 7 Old 03-30-2011, 11:26 PM

Coconut oil has been my latest fix.  and it is relatively cheap.   Calendula cream is a close second.  

mama to Quinn born 7.9.09, Audrey born 7.11.11, expecting baby3 July 19 2014
#7 of 7 Old 03-31-2011, 12:37 AM

2whistle.gif

~The Mrs.-A.K.A Mommy loveeyes.gif ~
Happily married to 1 kewl.gif (4/4/2004) & SAHM to 3-DS(3) jog.gif ,DD1(6) notes.gif,DD2(1)babyf.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page