first timers- what in the heck do i need for my baby? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 03-15-2011, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, first time mama here. I have been given some things already and I have a few more thing in mind that I will need but i am sure i am leaving somethings out!

I have been given so far:

tons of clothes, diaper genie, activity mat, infact car seat, bouncy chair, crib,

I have been told i will also be given:

more clothes, swing, changing table, bath tub, and bottles i think

I bought a stroller/infant car seat combo for a good price at a yard sale, score!

I know i need a matress, feeding items, sheets and bedding, bath products, some furniture

what else is good to have?thanks.gif

#2 of 17 Old 03-15-2011, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

also given a bassinette. sorry, i am so sleepy!! you know how it is ladies sleepytime.gif

#3 of 17 Old 03-15-2011, 09:16 AM

I was told never to buy an infant carseat from someone you don't know because you never know if it was previously in a wreck and those are made to last safely though 1 wreck...

#4 of 17 Old 03-15-2011, 09:33 AM

You're pretty stocked--that's great!  You don't need much for a newborn (you have a lot of stuff you'll need a little more down the line), but I suggest two additional things for the newborn stage (and beyond):  (1) a breastpump, if you plan on nursing, and after establishing your supply, you want to start banking milk for outings away from baby or going back to work; and (2) a carrier, such as a wrap, sling, or soft-structured carrier with good infant head support (like a Beco Gemini).  Oh, and you might not need this right away (since baby will be pretty much attached or next to you all the time for a few months--or more), but I found a video monitor, if you can get one used, gifted, or can splurge, so wonderful (I just used it for naps, since baby---almost preschooler now--still sleeps with us at night).

Mom to D-Dog (4/05), DD (9/08), and expecting a baby boy in July (edd 7/7/11).

#5 of 17 Old 03-15-2011, 10:06 PM

I had way too much stuff last time and it seriously just took up space.  I just made my list for this time:

1) car seat

2) cloth diapers & diapering accessories (to supplement our old stash)

3) clothes (mostly gifts & hand-me-downs)

I already have a nice sling, and we cosleep, so that's really all we need.  I'm going to try to keep it well under $300 for everything she'll need at least until 6 months.  smile.gif 

#6 of 17 Old 03-16-2011, 08:23 AM

Diapers/wipes

Burp cloths (prefolds are great for this!)

A few baby blankets

Baby clothes

Car seat

Baby carrier (LOVE the Moby for newborn stage and Ergo or Mei Tai thereafter--find what works for you)

Moses basket, bassinet, or similar so you have a safe place to put baby down when you need to

Boobs

Lots of pillows for nursing (I never used a "nursing pillow" but lots of people like them.)

Little potty if you're ECing (EC has been wonderful for us!)

High chair, for when baby is older

Board books to read to baby (this is always a great gift suggestion in lieu of more and more clothes)

A changing table is nice to have but not really necessary--you can lay down a towel and change a baby anywhere.

We had a crib and never used it. Transitioned baby from our bed to a "floor bed" in his own room around 1 year. It's whatever works for your family, but I'd say most people don't need a crib.

I never needed pumping stuff or bottles despite others insisting I did...but I also am lucky to work at home. If you plan to work outside the home for the first year, yeah I'd say a good pump is really important.

Really all you need for the immediate weeks after birth is: diapers, clothes, boobs, car seat. It'll become obvious what you need after the baby's born. We found that most of the stuff we thought we "needed" was useless to us, and there were a few things we ended up needing that nobody had thought of--no big deal.
#7 of 17 Old 03-21-2011, 05:11 PM

One thing that I found to be super handy with my last son was a portable swing. There are times when you can't wear the baby (i.e. cooking over a hot stove, cleaning bathrooms, etc.). I found our portable swing to be priceless and my son LOVED it! It is great because they fold up and are easy to carry from room to room and easy to store (no giant equipment taking up living room space). They are also way more fun for the baby then a bouncy seat. Portable swings are a little pricey to buy new, but I see them second hand frequently.

I would just add that and a good wrap to your list.

Wifey buddamomimg1.png to DH jammin.gif, Mama chicken3.gif to DS 8, DS 6, DD 1

homeschool.gif   lactivist.gif    h20homebirth.gif    goorganic.jpg

#8 of 17 Old 03-22-2011, 05:19 PM

I agree with the swing. I did not have one with my first but had one with my second. My first was a fussy baby and need constant motion. It would have been nice to have an alternative to the sling. Most of the nice things to have you are already getting. A few other things:

Nursing pads (In the beginning I leaked right through cloth ones so now I get both cloth and disposables)

Waterproof mattress pad for you bed

Waterproof portable pads to lay down under baby 

I loved my glider or any kind of rocking chair

#9 of 17 Old 03-22-2011, 05:41 PM

I second the pump and carrier. 

Diapers and wipes.  Last time I had access to my friend's prefold stash plus i bought some newborn kissaluvs and we used some sposies here and there so I didnt' need much in that department but this friend just had her own baby so I have to build my own stash this time.  I think i am getting some prefolds, since I already have some diaper covers, as well as slowly getting some grovias for my dh to use.  I have a few friends that use the grovias and they love them.  Dh thinks cloth is gross so I am hoping that the grovias will help with that, plus they are nice and easy for daycare providers ( I work in a daycare center when I do go back to work).  I am also going to do reusable wipes this time for the most part.  I started using them for myself and I have way too many so moving some to baby care will be super easy.  

I got a pump through my hospital - they give one to you if you ask (well I am sure you (or your insurance) is paying for it but they just include it on your bill)but you have to ask because not all insurance will pay for one.  Anyway, I have also seen the same model at Target so it's not like you can't buy them yourself.  One thing to know if you are buying a used one is that you should order replacement tubes because these will have been contaminated with the previous owner's breastmilk (unless you really know them are ok with that...).  The parts you could wash I wouldn't worry about because you can sterilize those but the tubes you can't clean the insides of those.   I didn't go back to work out side of the home but I still needed a small stash for those times when I wanted to go out without baby or have a few drinks with friends/hubby.  I mean my son was hungry every 2 hours so if I wanted to get out of the house for more than an hour and half... well you see what I mean.

A carrier was a lifesaver for me.  I have a kangaroo korner adjustable fleece pouch which I am sure I will use again and a friend just gave me a hotsling.  I also have an ergo because once my son got to be 15+ lbs he was way to heavy to wear on one shoulder.  I used that thing until he was two I think!  

I like those oversize receiving blankets you can get too; those little ones don't work past a few weeks for swaddling.  I have one someone got for me last time.  I am pretty sure it is from Target.

It is so amazing how people just come out of the woodwork and gift you with things when you are expecting a new baby.  You seem to have most of the big stuff taken care of for you ;)      have fun!

Cheryl, proud mama to Jackson... and a baby on the way!
#10 of 17 Old 03-22-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty02 View Post

Ooh! That's a good one. For this we first tried a store-bought one and it was plasticky and crinkly and we *hated* sleeping on it! Finally I went on eBay and found a 100% wool French Army surplus blanket from WW2 for $35. It covers our king size bed and is soft and comfy. I lanolized it to make it totally waterproof (very easy) and it's great. I highly recommend this method!
#11 of 17 Old 03-22-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radicaleel View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty02 View Post

Ooh! That's a good one. For this we first tried a store-bought one and it was plasticky and crinkly and we *hated* sleeping on it! Finally I went on eBay and found a 100% wool French Army surplus blanket from WW2 for $35. It covers our king size bed and is soft and comfy. I lanolized it to make it totally waterproof (very easy) and it's great. I highly recommend this method!

That sounds awesome, could you tell us how you lanolized it? Also, does it get hot in summer? (Expecting a summer baby, but also knowing wool can be very cooling in summer...)

#12 of 17 Old 03-23-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matte View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by radicaleel View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty02 View Post

That sounds awesome, could you tell us how you lanolized it? Also, does it get hot in summer? (Expecting a summer baby, but also knowing wool can be very cooling in summer...)

No, it's fine. Very comfortable all year round. We put it under our bottom sheet, so don't really even notice it unless it gets bunched up and makes a wrinkle--no big deal.

I used Lansinoh lanolin (although you can also get liquid lanolin which may be easier.) I forget the formula but I think it was one inch of lanolin squeezed out of the tube for every square foot of fabric, or something like that. I squeezed the lanolin out into a watertight plastic container (something you don't want to use again--it's sticky stuff) and poured boiling water over it, then shook it up till it was all melted.

Then put the wool blanket in the bathtub, cover with very hot water, pour in the lanolin mixture and agitate by hand to try and get the blanket fully coated. I soaked it for an hour or so swishing it around occasionally.

Then put it through the hottest wash on your washing machine followed by the hottest setting in your dryer. (You're not usually supposed to put wool in the dryer, so don't ever do that, like, with a sweater btw.)

It came out super waterproof! I poured a cup of water on it and it beaded up and rolled off! The first time DS peed on our bed, the wool under the sheet repelled the pee and the puddle just spread out as the sheet soaked it up. Nothing got on the mattress, changed the sheets and good to go.

You can repeat the lanolizing process until it's as waterproof as you want it. You could probably get better directions than mine just googling about how to lanolize wool.
#13 of 17 Old 03-23-2011, 11:19 AM

Thanks! I'll try to do this, it sounds perfect!

#14 of 17 Old 03-23-2011, 11:50 AM

I just got a waterproof mattress pad that has a cloth side. My kids have them on their beds too. DS wet the bed on and off until he was 11 so it has been well used! My mom bought me waterproof pads that I can lay on the bed or wherever that she bought at K-mart. They are part of the Martha Stuart collection and feel like cloth. I don't know if they sell them anymore (she bought them over 8 years ago for DD). 

I found out that both my work and the ladies at my church want to give me a shower (I am starting all over again with this baby). I didn't have a shower with my first and barely had anything. Now I am overwhelmed by how much stuff I am supposed to register for. I know I am not supposed to register for clothes but I need them. So far baby has 3 onesies and that is it. So far tis is what I have:

What I am being given:
Car seat, 2 pack n plays (one with changing table), crib, bedding (but I might pick some out anyway), co-sleeper, monitor, bottle drying rack.

Registered for:
Swing (goes side-to-side and back and forth), stroller that fits car seat, bath tub, baby gym, moby wrap, bottles, towels, blankets, a few layette clothes, high chair, bottle warmer (for when MIL watches baby), play mats (can't remember what they are called), diaper genie, diaper bag, boppy pillow, baby shampoo kit, first aid kit, pacifiers (DS didn't use one but DD did). 

I never used a crib with either of my kids but it is free and DH wants one in case we choose to use it (this is our first together and he had a rough time co-sleeping with his son, my step-son). I am still not sure about a pump. I have friend that wants to give me one that his wife used that he said is closed system. If it isn't I'll need to buy one. What am I forgetting? I feel like this is so much already! I told my mom and my friend that I want wooden and cloth baby toys that cannot be bought at Target. 

#15 of 17 Old 03-25-2011, 12:37 PM

I'm trying to think of what we actually used...

Carseat, I've heard not to buy them used either. You never know, and it is safety equipment!

Ring Sling/ moby

bath tub

clothing

swing -  we actually went out and bought one, we didn't think we would use it, but it is nice for naps and cooking/ cleaning

diapers/wipes  and something to make wipe solution if you use cloth wipes. I wasn't able (lazyness) to use cloth wipes until I picked up a wipe warmer at the thrift store (there were like 5 and they are all .99) Also, flanel sheets to cut up for wipes!

baby powder - we live or die by baby powder :) I use plain cornstarch sometimes

Pack n' play - we co-slept in this (sorta) and it was our changing table, and was really nice for going to grandma's house etc. It folds up pretty small, just the changing table part is bulky to travel with.

I used a stroller to grocery shop. Carrying groceries and baby home was difficult in the summer months, and we didn't have a wagon, and I was told you can't ride a bike with a NB. (Which, I am thinking someone needs to invent a way to put a infant carrier in a bike trailer. I can't be the only person who this affects.)

Clip on high chair. (we don't have the space for those massive stand alone ones)

"Activity center" the little plastic thing with the toys where they can stand and play? We called it a stand-ie. about 7 or 8 mos he just wanted to stand all.the.time it saved my life. DS is a kinda clingy kid, so it was heaven to be able to put him down and him actually enjoy it!

Hand soap - like a 100 gallon drum of it. You wash your hands constantly with a newborn! Maybe some lotion or if you are into it, the disinfecting gel stuff.

I can't think of anything else....

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#16 of 17 Old 03-27-2011, 07:49 PM

I like the swing. It has been oft praised by most experienced folks

#17 of 17 Old 03-28-2011, 11:05 AM

The things I use all the time in order of importance:

-A safe place to lay the baby such as a bassinet, swing, etc. (this is not as important if this is your first and you have no animals, but will be come a LOT more important if you have a few kids running around).

-Clothes, obviously

-Diapers, wipes, diaper cream

-Swaddle wrap, don't get a cheap brand, I like the kiddopotamus brand quite well, but I haven't tried some of the fancier ones, you'll probably want a lightweight one for summer

-If you're nursing, you'll want at least a handpump for when you get engorged and baby is sound asleep, lanolin (those first few weeks hurt!), breastpads, and perhaps a good book about breastfeeding.  A boppy is also very nice for the first few months.

-Carseat

-Colic Calm - do yourself a favor and buy this before baby is born, you'll thank me later!  Anytime ds is crying and inconsolable, we give him this and he stops within a minute or two.  It's a miracle remedy!

Not necessary, but nice:

-Swing

-Sling or wrap to carry baby

-Bathtub or foam thingy for the bathtub (I prefer the foam thingy over a huge infant bathtub)

-monitor

-Stroller (This is mostly for later on when they get bigger, mobile, and harder to carry everywhere).

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page