Ok now I need boy name help.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-18-2011, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The girl name was SUPER easy, but I'm not gonna lie, I feel like this babe might be a boy.  Our boy names are complicated because they're stipulations.  My husband's middle name is August and it's an old family name, so if the baby is born in July (like I hope it is) then we're naming him August.  But if he's born in August, I don't think I want to name him August. 

I have ALWAYS loved the name Otis, but everyone I tell that to looks at me like I have 5 heads.  My husband didn't love it, but he started liking it because we came up with a neato middle name - Otis Beck (our last name is Millinghausen).  Is this weird??  Honestly.  Is it too much of a dog name?  I tried googling it and people seem to hate the name Otis.  We have some other names too, but I guess I'm just trying to get reactions to Otis.    Any thoughts/suggestions would be helpful!!

Danielle (29)reading.gif married to my best friend Lou guitar.gif since 9/10/10 stillheart.gif ,mama to Ada Adelleenergy.gif since 8/5/11, and expecting a new addition around 4/19/14 stork-boy.gif
#2 of 13 Old 03-18-2011, 03:52 PM

I think Otis Beck is a cool name--definitely unique! I have a unique name myself and have always loved it.

I don't think Otis is a dog name, definitely no more than Max or Sam and people give kids those names all the time. The only dog connotation I can think of is Odie from Garfield. Otis makes me think of Otis Redding, which if you ask me, is a great positive connection to have!

There are always going to be people who hate the name you choose no matter what. I say if you really love it, and it suits him, go for it! Names have a way of growing on people after the fact anyway.
#3 of 13 Old 03-18-2011, 04:12 PM

I'm finding that less is more.  The less you share with others the better off it all is.  We have decided not to share our name choices with anyone until birth. 

JMO.  People are going to have an opinion no matter what you decide to name your baby. 

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#4 of 13 Old 03-18-2011, 04:15 PM

Also FWIW I love the name Otis.

I'm a dog groomer and very rarely run across the name Otis for a dog. 

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#5 of 13 Old 03-18-2011, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Otis is NMS, but if you like it, you should go for it. How about Beckett as an alternative? I heard that name a short while ago (a friend used it) and I had never known a Beckett before.

#6 of 13 Old 03-18-2011, 06:29 PM

I know 3 Becketts who are under 1 year old. I think it's becoming common FWIW.

I love the name Otis. We always talk about using it, but our last name is Lewis and 2 "is" sounds at the end of both first and last name is a bit too much for me.

What do you think of Omar or Navin. Both names I also love.

Sarah*

Sarah, Mom to Theo (8/06), Penny (1/08) and Felix 10/30) #4 due 07/11
#7 of 13 Old 03-18-2011, 11:49 PM

You always will get the weird looks for your name, any name, just from different people! Pick what you like!

Barbara, Mama to Isabel (06/2004), Jake (08/2006-03/2007), Noah (01/2008), and Matteo (07/2011) 
Please always research the safety of vaccines even if your doctor tells you they are harmless! novaxnocirc.gif

#8 of 13 Old 03-19-2011, 07:31 AM

Otis Beck sounds like a rockstar! I think I like it!

Lisa, Mama to two 2-26-09 and 6-15-11

"Hey baby, do you like trains?"

#9 of 13 Old 03-19-2011, 02:30 PM

I only vote against Otis because it made our boy list this past Sunday :) I'm at the point where I honestly don't care what other people think, Otis hit me as a cute name because it's my sisters cats name and she was talking to him and I was like "hmmm...that'd be cute for a human"

#10 of 13 Old 03-19-2011, 03:30 PM

I'm not a fan of Otis.  It partially reminds me of Milo and Otis.  I also know an Otis and he's kind of a jerk.  Not like that matters to you though.  lol.  I really love Beck though!  I would go with that name for the first name.  It's awesome!

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#11 of 13 Old 03-19-2011, 07:13 PM

I wanted Oliver and had the same reaction (but I am having a girl) so my vote is go with Otis Beck and tell no one until baby is born. Otis Beck is cute and cool! I was told not to name DD Ruby and was told it was too old a name. After she was born everyone said she looked just like a Ruby and the name was so perfect for her. 

#12 of 13 Old 03-20-2011, 05:32 AM

I am loving Otis Beck!  It's the PERFECT name!!  If you guys love it go for it.  And keep it on the DL till the baby's born -- that much I do agree with -- b/c people can be very rude about names.  But once the baby is here and named they (generally) keep their opinions to themselves.

But no, I love it!  Use it!  

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#13 of 13 Old 03-20-2011, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, this makes me feel better and little validated because of the mostly positive reaction.  Some people will have the Milo and Otis reaction, but I guess a lot of names have someTHING they remind them of.  Otis came up for me because I love love love Otis Redding.  And so does my husband.  Thanks everyone, and I definitely think I've learned it's a better idea to keep it between us and not tell anyone our name plans.

Danielle (29)reading.gif married to my best friend Lou guitar.gif since 9/10/10 stillheart.gif ,mama to Ada Adelleenergy.gif since 8/5/11, and expecting a new addition around 4/19/14 stork-boy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page