What position is your baby in now? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 65 Old 03-18-2011, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm just curious as to whether the rest of you ladies can tell what position your baby is in now, and if so, what is it? My baby is still lying transverse at 23 weeks, so the top of my uterus is still below my belly button. I know that it's not a concern at this point that my baby hasn't turned vertical yet, but it seems like the few other women I know from my prenatal yoga class who are due in July have more fully round stomachs like their babies are vertical, one way or the other. Or if you've been pregnant before, do you remember when your babies turned vertical?

#2 of 65 Old 03-18-2011, 12:45 PM

I was convinced that this baby was transverse but I just came back from my anatomy scan and she's already presenting vertex. The reason why I've been feeling so much movement very low in my pelvis is because she prefers to keep both of her hands up by her head and she's hitting me!

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#3 of 65 Old 03-18-2011, 03:48 PM

I'm 22 weeks and last visit to the MW, they said the baby was transverse. It moves a lot, and I usually feel a lot of movement just above my pubic bone, so I'm not sure if s/he is changing positions or dangling their limbs down! I often have a pokey pressure in the middle left side of my belly, kind of horizontal with my belly button, and I was feeling that when I went to see the MW last. 

All this to say, I'm not sure! I keep trying to palpate and figure out how they are positioned, but I think they are moving around a lot.

Amanda, DW to Drew, mom to Ella, 7, Gardner, 2, homesteading on the edge of the continent on the Lost Coast.
mdcblog5.gif California Homesteading, http://eastmillcreek.blogspot.com

#4 of 65 Old 03-18-2011, 04:24 PM

At our 20 week anatomy scan we got to see his position.  My little guy is already head down but who's to say he will stay that way for the next 19 weeks.  I feel movement from top to bottom.

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#5 of 65 Old 03-18-2011, 04:28 PM

we just had our 20 week scan today and it was almost breech. :(  I remember with DS he was transverse at the time and we never checked again until he came out vtx.  I know a lot can happen in the next 19 weeks so I'm assuming this one will turn around.  if not I'm one sad chick going to be in desperate search of a provider who will let me deliver a breech baby normally. 

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF

#6 of 65 Old 03-18-2011, 06:11 PM

At our 20 week scan, my baby was also breech. It's such a weird sensation too because I feel him/ her WAY down low, like underneath my pubic bone and nothing right below my belly button. I've felt movement this way since 16 weeks, so apparently, he or she is pretty cozy shrug.gif

Tracy, mama to Mia Elizabethhearts.gif10~4~06 and Baby Ava Elise baby.gif 8~6~11

#7 of 65 Old 03-18-2011, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Mine happened to be breech at my big u/s @ 19wks, but it feels like he changes it up a lot  :)  I feel movement all over the place, but more commonly on the sides, which is not surprising considering the anterior placenta.

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#8 of 65 Old 03-18-2011, 07:25 PM

Midwife says the baby is transverse.

I'm Valerie bfinfant.gif wife to a United States Navy sailor, mom to Audreygeek.gif(6/01), Lydiathumbsuck.gif(4/08)   Jethrobabyf.gif(1/10) and Vivian babygirl.gif (6/11) novaxnocirc.gifcd.gif

#9 of 65 Old 03-18-2011, 07:50 PM

I think mine is a diagonal-ish transverse. I feel kicks mostly on the right upper side so I'm guessing the head is lower left.
#10 of 65 Old 03-18-2011, 11:27 PM

I never had a baby in a transverse position. So far mine have been really co operative when it comes to position. Around 25 weeks my three first kids were head down and stayed that way until the birth. Is there a reason why the baby is transverse? Short umbilical cord?

Barbara, Mama to Isabel (06/2004), Jake (08/2006-03/2007), Noah (01/2008), and Matteo (07/2011) 
Please always research the safety of vaccines even if your doctor tells you they are harmless! novaxnocirc.gif

#11 of 65 Old 03-19-2011, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Is there a reason why the baby is transverse? Short umbilical cord?

I don't think the umbilical cord is a factor. As far as I know, the baby's position is just determined by its own movement and comfort. However, those things can be influenced by any number of factors, including the location of the placenta and the physical space around the uterus (i.e., which direction is easiest for it to stretch). Also, the more previous pregnancies you have had, the greater the likelihood of a baby being in a transverse position because the uterus stretches out more easily and the baby often just gets cozy in that position early on and stays there. But this is my first pregnancy. Hopefully it will turn soon! Occasionally it curls up into a ball, but usually it just seems to be lying flat and horizontal. 

#12 of 65 Old 03-19-2011, 07:30 AM

I don't know. I think they all sit transverse at some point. I wouldn't be surprised if the baby breakdanced in a complete circle seconds after the midwife checked. I never thought they stayed in one position for too long. At least mine never did. My babies turn head down at about 32 weeks and from that point they stay put. I think it might have something to do with amniotic fluid volume too. I had polyhydramnios last pregnancy and there was no limits to what that boy could do in utero.

I'm Valerie bfinfant.gif wife to a United States Navy sailor, mom to Audreygeek.gif(6/01), Lydiathumbsuck.gif(4/08)   Jethrobabyf.gif(1/10) and Vivian babygirl.gif (6/11) novaxnocirc.gifcd.gif

#13 of 65 Old 03-19-2011, 02:33 PM

at our anatomy scan the tech said it was head down, I don't really know all the technical terms.  I know what Breech is and that's about it, but I think it's a little diagonal-head-down

#14 of 65 Old 03-19-2011, 03:32 PM

I'm pretty sure the baby is breech.  I feel some crazy large movements around my belly button, which may be the head.  I suppose it could also be the baby's bottom too, but it feels more like a head to me (as creepy-weird as that sounds lol).

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#15 of 65 Old 03-19-2011, 03:35 PM

Is there a definite way to tell what position the baby is in, if you don't get an anatomy scan? 

Yolanda & Marcus{married 8 yrs}, Isaiah13, Malik12, Micah6, Anna4, Malachi3, Jacob1. We familybed2.gifuc.jpgdelayedvax.gifhomeschool.gif, and expecting #7 boc.gif August 2013. 

#16 of 65 Old 03-19-2011, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Is there a definite way to tell what position the baby is in, if you don't get an anatomy scan? 

This early on, it's difficult to be sure, and the baby may frequently change positions anyway. But you can often get a good idea just from where you feel the strongest movements (most likely the legs/feet), smaller movements (most likely the arms), and largest bump (the head). Also, if you know where the doctor/midwife finds the heartbeat with the Doppler, that is another indicator. See www.spinningbabies.com for more information on figuring out your baby's position and getting into the right position later in the pregnancy.

#17 of 65 Old 03-20-2011, 04:34 AM

At my anatomy scan last Friday at 19w6d baby was transverse with his head on my right side and feet on my left. He was transverse at my NT scan at 12w as well. I'm pretty sure he's stayed that way because I feel the hardest/largest movements on my left side and the largest hard area (the head) on my left side. This is my 11th pregnancy but will be only my 4th live birth. My fundus is quite a bit above my belly button at 21w now.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#18 of 65 Old 03-21-2011, 11:20 AM

I'm fairly sure this baby is still breech (and hoping against hope that he/she turns!). At my last appointment (4 weeks ago) baby was breech and I'm still feeling alot of dancing on my bladder. My MW visit is tommorow so I'll get the position confirmed once again. I can find the head pretty consistently on my upper/right side.

winner.jpgFormer WIC Peer Breastfeeding Counselor (2005-2011) now SAHM to bouncy.gif DD (8/2003), thumbsuck.gif DD (8/2008homebirth.jpg ), mate to jammin.gif since 07/2000. Expecting Baby Roo Mid July 2011!  stork-suprise.gifcd.gif

#19 of 65 Old 03-21-2011, 12:35 PM

I think this guy is still breech as well...he was breech at the 18 week scan and we go back at 28 weeks (which is in 5 weeks) so hopefully he turns soon.  I get a lot of dancing on my bladder and now I think what is a head or arms up in my right upper side.

Married to Mike blowkiss.gif(5/29/05) and mama to Emmie energy.gif (6/11/06), Chase superhero.gif(3/21/08) and our baby Parker lost at 16 weeks angel2.gif (2/22/10) , Sawyer joy.gif our rainbow1284.gif (7/11/11) and a girl baby.gif on the way in April! 
#20 of 65 Old 03-21-2011, 01:53 PM

He wad breech at my 20 week US and i'm still feeling lots of tap dancing on my cervix, so i'm guessing he still is.

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
#21 of 65 Old 03-21-2011, 04:12 PM

Mine is all over the place.  Sometimes I feel definite kicking (stomping) on my cervix, other times I feel kicks up top.  He was breech at the u/s, but continues to move and turn all around.

ahhh to be able to think well enough to create a clever signature.sleeping.gif someday i will have enough sleep to accomplish this task...

Janae, mama to X (1/09) & X (7/11) and wife to J (since 9/96!)  Homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby (and toddler) wearing, co-sleeping, lactivist, intactivist. luxlove.gif

#22 of 65 Old 03-21-2011, 04:44 PM

Mine's transverse at 24 weeks too.

Mama to my cutie girlie luxlove.gif for 2 years and one on the way bouncy.gif (7/7/11)!
#23 of 65 Old 03-22-2011, 05:08 PM

Well I am not for sure but I think this baby is vertex.   I feel lots of little movements down low and some large movements like baby is turning side to side up top.  Hiccups I also feel down low.  That is just what I think though; I can't really feel a back or butt/head from the outside yet.  I'm 25 weeks.

Cheryl, proud mama to Jackson... and a baby on the way!
#24 of 65 Old 03-23-2011, 05:46 PM

What's the concern about baby being breech at 20-something weeks? There's plenty of time for baby to turn. Baby can turn head-down, then breech, then back again in the very last days of pg.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#25 of 65 Old 03-23-2011, 06:45 PM

I wouldn't be concerned at all.   Plenty of time for baby to turn, I agree.  I thought we were just sharing for fun ;) 

Cheryl, proud mama to Jackson... and a baby on the way!
#26 of 65 Old 03-24-2011, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecat View Post

I wouldn't be concerned at all.   Plenty of time for baby to turn, I agree.  I thought we were just sharing for fun wink1.gif 

Me, too. But then there seemed to be a few people saying they hoped baby was head down soon or at next u/s or whatever and it got me wondering. Even if baby is head down now, s/he could and probably will flip and turn several times before settling back into head down for birth.

#27 of 65 Old 03-24-2011, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Definitely no reason for concern at this point - just sharing for fun and curiosity. By 28 weeks, you definitely want the baby to be vertical, though, one way or the other. Breech is much preferable to transverse during the 3rd trimester, because it's easier for the baby to turn from breech to head-down than from transverse to head-down. If the baby grows too large while staying transverse, the uterus can stretch too much in a horizontal direction and not enough in a vertical direction, making it more difficult for the baby to turn. It's also more difficult to get into positions that make the baby turn if it is transverse as opposed to breech (i.e., there is no "transverse tilt" like there is a breech tilt). Plus, you can often give birth to a breech baby without a problem, but not a transverse baby.

I just had a prenatal check-up yesterday and my doctor said my baby was still transverse (which I knew). He said we would check again at 28 weeks and then take action to try to get it to turn if it's still transverse at that point.

#28 of 65 Old 03-24-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBrockBaca View Post

Definitely no reason for concern at this point - just sharing for fun and curiosity. By 28 weeks, you definitely want the baby to be vertical, though, one way or the other. Breech is much preferable to transverse during the 3rd trimester, because it's easier for the baby to turn from breech to head-down than from transverse to head-down. If the baby grows too large while staying transverse, the uterus can stretch too much in a horizontal direction and not enough in a vertical direction, making it more difficult for the baby to turn. It's also more difficult to get into positions that make the baby turn if it is transverse as opposed to breech (i.e., there is no "transverse tilt" like there is a breech tilt). Plus, you can often give birth to a breech baby without a problem, but not a transverse baby.

Interesting. I was reading about breech babies on Babycenter today and it said the opposite. It's better for baby to be transverse near term than breech because it's more easy to turn baby. That was using ECV, though. Maybe it's different when talking about baby turning on his/her own. I definitely can see how it would be better for baby to be breech rather than transverse during labor because then you'd at least have a chance of a vaginal birth.

#29 of 65 Old 03-24-2011, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Interesting. I was reading about breech babies on Babycenter today and it said the opposite. It's better for baby to be transverse near term than breech because it's more easy to turn baby. That was using ECV, though. Maybe it's different when talking about baby turning on his/her own. I definitely can see how it would be better for baby to be breech rather than transverse during labor because then you'd at least have a chance of a vaginal birth.

That's true if the baby has been vertical one way or the other and has just recently turned transverse - in that case, the uterus has been stretched out in all directions and it can be more easily turned by ECV (although it's not easier to turn it with other methods, such as positioning your own body to try to make it turn, and ECV is not always successful). However, if the baby is near term, still transverse, and has not recently been vertical, one way or the other, then you have a serious problem, worse than breech. But hopefully that won't happen to any of us. :)

#30 of 65 Old 03-25-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBrockBaca View Post

That's true if the baby has been vertical one way or the other and has just recently turned transverse - in that case, the uterus has been stretched out in all directions and it can be more easily turned by ECV (although it's not easier to turn it with other methods, such as positioning your own body to try to make it turn, and ECV is not always successful). However, if the baby is near term, still transverse, and has not recently been vertical, one way or the other, then you have a serious problem, worse than breech. But hopefully that won't happen to any of us. :)

Ah, gotcha. Babycenter did say it's more likely that baby will turn if it's not mom's first.

My baby is flipping all over the place. At my NT scan at 12w he was transverse with his head on the right but at my Level II scan at 19w he was transverse with his head on the other side. I'm pretty sure he has flipped from transverse to vertical and probably breech because I've been feeling a lot of harder movement lower down. Last night I felt a very hard, large lump up near my belly button and could follow his back down toward my pelvis. I'm guessing that larger lump was the head, although I'm certainly no expert. This is my 4th pregnancy that has progressed this far so my uterus is pretty well stretched out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page