New Car Seat Recommendations/Guidelines - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-21-2011, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know it's a bit early to be thinking about this but a friend of mind just posted this on FB...it was a good read.

The AAP is now recommending that kids stay rear facing until the age of 2 or until they meet the height/weight requirements for a rear facing seat. 

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/03/21/car.seat.guidelines.parenting/index.html?iphonefb

SuburbanHippie likes this.

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 03-21-2011, 04:39 PM

Our pediatrician has been telling us this for I it seems like a year now so I was kind of surprised to see it on CNN now.  In fact I think if I asked her about it again she would probably recommend DD who is 2 to stay rear-facing until the max limit of the car seat (35 lbs? on mine). 

Just the other day I found out a family friend is putting her 2 year old weighing 30 lbs, who btw has already been forward facing for months now, in a booster seat.  yikes.gif Our state recommends a booster seat when kids turn FOUR.  I'm horrified!

Mama to my cutie girlie luxlove.gif for 2 years and one on the way bouncy.gif (7/7/11)!
#3 of 3 Old 03-21-2011, 05:00 PM

In WA it's 1yr & 20lbs. :(  DS is still RF'ing and will be forever since his seat RF's to 45lbs 2whistle.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayakas View Post

Our pediatrician has been telling us this for I it seems like a year now so I was kind of surprised to see it on CNN now.  In fact I think if I asked her about it again she would probably recommend DD who is 2 to stay rear-facing until the max limit of the car seat (35 lbs? on mine). 

Just the other day I found out a family friend is putting her 2 year old weighing 30 lbs, who btw has already been forward facing for months now, in a booster seat.  yikes.gif Our state recommends a booster seat when kids turn FOUR.  I'm horrified!

First off Super thumb.gifto your pedi!  mine has a DD who is a couple weeks older than my DS and she'd turned her at a year and it was me begging her not to.  She chuckled when I told her I planned to ERF like how could you get a toddler to do that.  Uh... you get a toddler to do what you want because you're the parent and it's what's safest. 

Second your friend is  wild.gif.  Id gently pass along this kind of information to her.  it's 5 times safer for a 2yo to be RF'ing than FFing. 

Have her visit http://car-seat.org.  our WA website, and where I learned to be a CPST, is BUCKLUP.org
There's also a printable flyer on Twinkie Physics and how it relates to wearing a seatbelt. Plus there are lots of checklists on how to know if your child is able to be in a booster. 
I know I'm preaching to the choir but my heart breaks when I hear about/see stuff like that. 

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page