Leg cramps - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-10-2011, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had this with my other two children also. The last few mornings I am waking up wanting to stretch my legs but end up with painful leg cramps in my calves. Anyone else get this and what do you do about it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2011, 10:27 AM

Yes, I just got my first one the other night. Not fun! I had them starting about this time with my first preg too.

I took a big dose of Floradix liquid Calcium-Magnesium and it got better instantly. I tell you, that stuff is amazing! Now I just have to remember to take it every day (which I meant to be doing anyway.) It's expensive but worth it. I've found it on Amazon cheaper than anywhere else--about $35 for a 17 oz. bottle, which is about a month's supply, but I usually can make it last longer by taking 1/2 doses or only taking it when I feel I really need it.

I've heard that eating a banana every day can help too--something about the potassium if I recall. Couldn't hurt!

ETA: Lots of calf-stretching throughout the day, with flexed feet, is always good too. And flat shoes.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:25 PM

I had them with my first pregnancy.  As long as I didn't point my toes while stretching I was fine. 

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

Old 04-10-2011, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

I remember my midwife told me to eat bananas when I had leg cramps with my first. Problem is I hate bananas! I try to like them but I just don't. I have been slacking on yoga so that might help. I'll look into the calcium/magnesium. I take a prenatal so would it be on top of that?

Old 04-10-2011, 01:49 PM

I've done since I was a kid because I get horrible leg cramps in the middle of the night all the time.  I lick a bit of table salt (it's gross but it works.) the potassium in the table salt will help cure it immediately. I suppose a bananana would be tastier but all my old country relatives used to make me do that when I was a kid  :)

Kosher salt doesnt work.

It's gross and maybe not the best thing to do while pregnant but that's my .02 redface.gif

Lisa, Mama to two 2-26-09 and 6-15-11

"Hey baby, do you like trains?"

Old 04-10-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty02 View Post

I remember my midwife told me to eat bananas when I had leg cramps with my first. Problem is I hate bananas! I try to like them but I just don't. I have been slacking on yoga so that might help. I'll look into the calcium/magnesium. I take a prenatal so would it be on top of that?

Yes it's in addition to prenatals. My midwife recommended it and it really helps!
Old 04-10-2011, 10:39 PM

I just had one this AM.  Make sure you drink enough, take more Mag and eat bananas or drink OJ if you can.  Good luck. 

Jen, mama to  (M-13, N- 10, C- 8 rainbow1284.gif J- 3.5, and rainbow1284.gifJ -2, angel3.gifA (10/4/07) and 3 early losses)
We are expecting baby #7 in November 2013

Old 04-13-2011, 08:47 AM

I unfortunately have been plagued with them as well.  Serious one a few weeks ago that about ended me up in the hospital because my husband couldn't even bend my foot back.  My midwife said, zinc, potassium and magnesium and lots and lots of water.  So far haven't had another one since I increased those minerals.  Good luck

Old 04-13-2011, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

I increased my water intake and haven't had another one. I have also been stretching. I hope it doesn't happen again! It took a few days for the pain in my calf muscle to go away completely!

Old 04-19-2011, 06:37 PM

I can't believe how bad they are, they wake me up at night and one side is worse than the other. I stretch them out every day, take vitamins drink lots of water. I don't get it but am sure hoping they don't continue.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:48 PM

I've been dealing with them for awhile now.  My midwives said to take up to 2000 mg. of calcium/magnesium citrate daily, in addition to your prenatals.  Even if you're taking something like the Rainbow Light 6/day that already have 1000 mg. of calcium in them.  That's still not enough for me apparently.  They suggested adding potassium.  And they suggested this stuff called Concentrace Trace Mineral Drops.  But I'm having the hardest time stomaching the drops.  I can't find a good way to hide the flavor.  Ack!  So I struggle on with leg cramps.  I might check out the liquid calcium.  Maybe it will absorb into my body better.  I am taking Solaray capsules right now, which are a very good brand, but liquid is usually better, right?

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
Old 04-20-2011, 09:44 AM

I've tried banana's and calcium/mag in other pregnacies with very little luck.  This time I've been taking new chapers bone strength everyday and it really makes a difference for me.  I find that if I forget a day, the cramps will start up lightly, so that's a pretty good reminder.  They are so expensive, but worth it to me:)

Old 04-22-2011, 06:09 PM

I began having them after running out of bananas. Until then, I've eaten at least a banana a day. MW's recommended at least 1000/500 Calcium/Mag. Haven't started yet, anyone else find that to get that dosage you have to take SIX pills? Hmmm. I guess i maybe bought the wrong ones?

Amanda, DW to Drew, mom to Ella, 7, Gardner, 2, homesteading on the edge of the continent on the Lost Coast.
mdcblog5.gif California Homesteading, http://eastmillcreek.blogspot.com

User Tag List