Am I REALLY the only one stressing about weight gain?!!? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 04-22-2011, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It seems my small circle of friends see no problem that I've gained 28 pounds in 27weeks 4days. They think its completely normal to gain 40 pounds or more. Well, I'm stressing. I'm stressing big time. I was 20-25 pounds over ideal BMI to begin with, so I should have only gained 15-25 the entire time. :(

I see my midwives today and I'm not looking forward to the stares I got last week. :( Every nurse that passed me was all "WOW! you've grown SO much! wow you're so big!" and...seriously, I don't like that :( :( I don't think its funny, flattering, cute, professional, or even something ANYONE should say to another human, nonetheless while they are very pregnant.

Ok. Sorry. Hormones comin atcha. :(

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 04-22-2011, 05:16 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I stress out about the weight gain too, I know your body will gain what it wants (it really does, no matter how much I try I am gaining the EXACT same amount that I gained last time) It still sucks to watch my body balloon. Nursing will take a lot of the weight off though so just try to enjoy the eating...... at least that is what I tell myself!

hippie.gifborn in the wrong era. Madly in love with my DH. Mama to my Beatles boys; L (6) and H (2). 
#3 of 16 Old 04-22-2011, 07:23 AM

I'm not stressing so much over the gain, as losing it afterwards, my best friend scheduled her wedding 4 weeks after my due date and I'm supposed to be a bridesmaid :-/

#4 of 16 Old 04-22-2011, 07:41 AM

Well I am right there with you mama hug2.gif 

I gained 9 pounds in 2 weeks at my appt on tuesday.  Turns out it was partly water retention probably from the NC vacation I took the week before, as I weighed myself today and I am down to 155 instead of the 159 I was on tuesday.   Of course that means I still gained 5 pounds over 2 weeks but anyway... I was quite concerned for a few days there, thinking - what if there's twins?  what if its preeclampsia? - but i suppose i must be fine.  I don't have any other pre-e symptoms so I really didn't think that was too likely, but you know how your mind runs away from you...

Anyway, I started out at 128 and I'm at 155 now so that's 27 pounds in about 29.5 weeks.    When I was home last week in NC, my mil asked me if i was sure I was due in July, because "you look too big to have that much time left"  !!!   I was like, yeah, umm I am sure it's july!  I mean we got prego the very first month we tried!  Then Tuesday at the grocery store, the woman at the checkout says to me, "Not much time left, huh?"  Ummm.... Actually, I'm due in July.  It doesn't help that I feel a lot bigger than I was last time and the pregnancy has been harder than the first one just because I am chasing around my toddler all the time, bending over to help him change clothes, mentally dealing with the tantrums and everything.  So I wish people would just stick to " you look great!"  or "how's the baby doing?"  and nice things :)

I am really trying to revamp my diet this week and eat better too so hopefully that will help.  I have such a sweet tooth and it is really hard to exercise that control sometimes...   

Cheryl, proud mama to Jackson... and a baby on the way!
#5 of 16 Old 04-22-2011, 11:28 AM

I gained 48 lbs by 26 weeks.  Stressed is the nice way of putting it.  I hate seeing myself naked.  I *just* lost 35 lbs before I got pregnant.  I sure didn't waste any time putting it back on.  It was so nice having a "normal" BMI.  I'll have to wait another 4 years to see that again.  gloomy.gif

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#6 of 16 Old 04-22-2011, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

I just came back from my midwives office. I asked them to not weigh me, to just go by my home scale. Last time they weighed me in, I was a full 10 pounds heavier than my home scale, which was the scale I used for starting weight. She measured me to be a full 3 weeks further along than I am supposed to be, but I also think they got my original due date wrong so I really could be having a baby sooner than midJuly.... But she also pointed out that I could just be "fluffy"....

So my weight is 28 pounds in 27-31 weeks.... time to hit the pool to try to get a workout...

#7 of 16 Old 04-22-2011, 12:17 PM

I was about 20lbs overweight when I got pregnant.. and I've gained 28lbs in 28 weeks. Last month I was worried, I gained 12lbs in four weeks! But I seem to have slowed back down, so I'm trying not to stress (too much)

I did stop eating ice cream every night before bed. redface.gif

Married to an Ogre, Mother of Danora Rose 12/31/2008 and missing Evan Michael 12/31/2008 Expecting someone new 7/11/2011

#8 of 16 Old 04-22-2011, 01:28 PM

You are not the only one.  Weight gain has always been a concern of mine.  I have 4 generations of hypothyroidism in my family that were all triggered by childbirth.  Needless to say I'm a bit freaked!

I've been very good about getting healthy and strengthening my thyroid before TTC.  I managed to drop 30 lbs the year prior to getting pregnant which really helped my mental state.

I about lost it at my 20 week appointment when I gained 11lbs in one month.  Initially gained 4lbs at 12 wks, 4 more at 16 wks then the 11lb weight gain at 20 weeks just about put me over the edge.  Of course I mostly had myself to blame.  I wasn't eating as healthy as I should...we don't have a kitchen right now so it was an easy excuse.  Not after that.  DH and I went back on our "lifestyle change" diet which includes no refined foods or sugars and lots of healthy meats and lots of veggies. 

I've dropped 6 lbs in the first 3 weeks alone.  My weight gain has certainly slowed but now I can feel better about it being a "healthier" gain instead of gain from all the crap I was eating.

I know logistically weight shouldn't matter...it's all for the good of the baby but with my family history that seed has been planted. 

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#9 of 16 Old 04-23-2011, 11:05 AM

oh man, I stress about weight gain so much that I sometimes think I have some serious issues. Well, really, I know I do have food issues. I was 260lbs and I've lost 140lbs and dropped to 120lbs. I gained 7lbs pre-pregnancy because I think I was pregnant earlier than anticipated so I packed on a few pounds. However, I've gained 21lbs and am 30 weeks pregnant which I think is good.....BUT it's Easter, I've been eating nothing but chocolate, my husband and I are going to take a mini vacation to NH this week and I'm going to the Dr every two weeks so there's not a lot of time that I can undo the damage I'm inevitably going to do this week coming irked.gif I think I'm already angry at myself because I'm setting myself up for failure without even giving myself a chance... Well, one good thing is I've only got 10 weeks left..... I'm pretty sure I could pack on another 20lbs in those 10 weeks if I tried....and I probably wouldn't have to try very hard!

#10 of 16 Old 04-25-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narleegates View Post

I'm not stressing so much over the gain, as losing it afterwards, my best friend scheduled her wedding 4 weeks after my due date and I'm supposed to be a bridesmaid :-/

My advice- don't sress over loosing the weight that quickly.  You probably will not loose that much so make sure you have room in your dress.  Last time (my first) I thought I would walk out of the hospital with a much flatter tummy than I did and weighing about 10 pounds less than I did.  Carrying, and birthing  baby is a big deal for your body and it wants to make sure it has enough nutrients to nourish the baby via breastmilk.  So unless your body is unlike most women's bodies you are likely to look like you just had a baby 4 weeks ago!

I was in a wedding 4 months after I gave birth last time and even though I have a good BMI at that point when I look at photos I can tell that my body is soft like a new moms.  And it is as it should be.

Easier said than feeling ok about it I know...good luck!

#11 of 16 Old 04-25-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinS View Post

oh man, I stress about weight gain so much that I sometimes think I have some serious issues. Well, really, I know I do have food issues. I was 260lbs and I've lost 140lbs and dropped to 120lbs. I gained 7lbs pre-pregnancy because I think I was pregnant earlier than anticipated so I packed on a few pounds. However, I've gained 21lbs and am 30 weeks pregnant which I think is good.....BUT it's Easter, I've been eating nothing but chocolate, my husband and I are going to take a mini vacation to NH this week and I'm going to the Dr every two weeks so there's not a lot of time that I can undo the damage I'm inevitably going to do this week coming irked.gif I think I'm already angry at myself because I'm setting myself up for failure without even giving myself a chance... Well, one good thing is I've only got 10 weeks left..... I'm pretty sure I could pack on another 20lbs in those 10 weeks if I tried....and I probably wouldn't have to try very hard!

You look beautiful in your photo!  21lbs at 30 weeks is totally normal and healthy weight gain.  I think it is pretty amazing that you went from 260 to 120.  If you plan on breastfeeding that will be a huge help in helping you lose the baby weight easier (and I think extended breastfeeding is most helpful with that- I got back to where I was without trying when my first was about 9 months old- but it did take that long).

While on vacation treat yourself sometimes but try to eat as healthy as possible the other times.  Have fun!

#12 of 16 Old 04-26-2011, 08:26 AM

I started out about 10 lbs heavier this preg than last, and I am 28 weeks or so and have already gained about 25-30 lbs. I keep feeling sure I will top out at a higher number, but I DID start heavier. I'm just not sure my skin can stretch that much! Plus I already feel so very heavy. Hmmm. But I can't help eating lots of cream cheese and stuff like that. eyesroll.gif I agree with PP, your body will gain what it needs to gain, and it will come off with BF, even if its a while. For me, I wasn't back into my regular pants until about 15-18 mos PP. 

I keep wondering how much of this is distress about the preg being too heavy, and how much is body image and the idea we have about what it means to weigh a certain number? Let's try and honor our body's needs to be as big as they need!

Amanda, DW to Drew, mom to Ella, 7, Gardner, 2, homesteading on the edge of the continent on the Lost Coast.
mdcblog5.gif California Homesteading, http://eastmillcreek.blogspot.com

#13 of 16 Old 05-15-2011, 05:15 PM

Sort of weight-related but mostly baby-weight-related. Question: What factor(s) has contributed to the birth weight of your baby? I realize there's no way to know until the baby is born, but I wonder if it will have something to do with my weight as a baby? How big my belly measures in cm? Weight gain? How long the baby is carried?

I ask because I met a woman at 40 wks and I was just as big as her and I was at 31 wks at the time. My belly measures a good 3cm bigger than the corresponding week. Both my bro & I were nearly 10 lbers. A gal with my same due date looks like me a month ago. Does this mean biggish baby? Or are these things as good as an old wives tale?

Just curious if any of these factors have played out in your baby's birth weights before? Oh-so-curious :)

Mama to boy born 7/18/11 and another on the way in November '13  Rainbow.gif

#14 of 16 Old 05-15-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofplenty View Post

It seems my small circle of friends see no problem that I've gained 28 pounds in 27weeks 4days. They think its completely normal to gain 40 pounds or more. Well, I'm stressing. I'm stressing big time. I was 20-25 pounds over ideal BMI to begin with, so I should have only gained 15-25 the entire time. :(

I see my midwives today and I'm not looking forward to the stares I got last week. :( Every nurse that passed me was all "WOW! you've grown SO much! wow you're so big!" and...seriously, I don't like that :( :( I don't think its funny, flattering, cute, professional, or even something ANYONE should say to another human, nonetheless while they are very pregnant.

Ok. Sorry. Hormones comin atcha. :(

I may have missed it, but is this your first pregnancy? There is something to the idea that some people gain the same amount no matter what they do. Then again, I gained 60 lb.s with my first, but I had a crazy over-eating-dessert thing going on. The next two births I did not have that problem and gained normal amounts. I think  this one will end on the high side of "normal" but I really could care less.

People are really weird, I just got back from a family reunion and had one of my disturbingly thin aunties harass me for 15 minutes about how it "looks like you are overdue with twins, what are you going to do to fix this?" I tried to joke her off a few times, but really just had to excuse myself after a while. I don't need to try to make sense of her issue, KWIM?

#15 of 16 Old 05-16-2011, 07:25 AM

I've finally stopped gaining!  Granted I owe it all to gestational diabetes, but hey whatever does it!  I just wish I could have known exactly how to eat a few months prior so I could have minimized my weight gain, but oh well.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#16 of 16 Old 05-17-2011, 11:20 AM

I wouldn't stress - I gained 40lbs during my first pregnancy (from 115lbs to 155lbs) and it all vanished (and then some) within 8 weeks of delivery.  Water is heavy stuff!  I started at about the same point this time around (118 lbs) and I'm up to 140lbs already. And I'm only 30 weeks.  I've no doubt I'll gain another 10lbs at least over the next 10 weeks.

I can tell all the weight is "baby weight", ykwim? My eating & activity habits haven't changed with pregnancy, so there's no reason I'd be gaining more "permanent" weight.  The numbers can be whatever they want!

Charlotte, mommy to Maggie (July 15th 2008) and Una (July 19th 2011)!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page