What do you think of these names? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-27-2011, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, we've made the decision not to tell family or friends our name choices, but I feel like I want input still. I feel 100% certain for our boy first name, it just feels "right" (which is one of the reasons I think baby is a boy), and fairly certain on the middle name... but tonight's the first time we've come up with a girl name we like or think would work really at all.

I do have some weird "rules"- for the first name, I don't want the name to be in the top 50 for recent years, I'd like it to be Biblical, and I don't want a name that can be shortened. For the middle name, we will use a family name. Our son's name is Noah Wallace (I didn't realize when I named him that Noah was as popular as it was, I have never known anyone named Noah so I thought it was far less common than it was!) and our daughter's name is Faith Marie.

If this baby's a boy, we like the name Paul Robert. The thing that would be neat about using Robert as the middle name is that our son is named after my grandpa, Wallace, and my daughter is named after my grandma, Marie, and my grandparents' last name is/was Robertson, so in a derivative sort of way, all three kids would be named after the same set of grandparents.

If the baby's a girl, the name we came up with tonight is Esther Claire. Claire is a family name on my husband's side.

What do people think of these names? Do they go with our other kids' names? Do they sound good/first and middle names flow well? Are they too "old fashioned"?

doula, wife to Dave ribbonyellow.gif, mom to Noah (5/14/06) superhero.gifand Faith (11/13/08) ribbonlime.gif (Gastroschisis Awareness) 127 days in the NICU, and 6 weeks thousands of miles from home, because of gastroschisis.  Expecting #3 2ndtri.gif July 2011! computergeek2.gif www.frugallynatural.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 04-28-2011, 06:48 AM

I love Paul Robert and Esther Claire--I think they both sound old fashioned, but I can't say whether they sound TOO old fashioned or not because I LOVE old fashioned names. 

Danielle (29)reading.gif married to my best friend Lou guitar.gif since 9/10/10 stillheart.gif ,mama to Ada Adelleenergy.gif since 8/5/11, and expecting a new addition around 4/19/14 stork-boy.gif
#3 of 7 Old 04-28-2011, 07:41 AM

Me too. I think they are just old fashioned enough to sound very sophisticated. I like them.

Lisa, Mama to two 2-26-09 and 6-15-11

"Hey baby, do you like trains?"

#4 of 7 Old 04-28-2011, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
That is exactly the way I name my kids. Old fashioned but not trendy and a nod to the ancestors. Paul and Esther are great!joy.gif
#5 of 7 Old 04-28-2011, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Yay! I was afraid they would sound too old... like we were giving our baby an old person name. Glad people think they sound good :)

doula, wife to Dave ribbonyellow.gif, mom to Noah (5/14/06) superhero.gifand Faith (11/13/08) ribbonlime.gif (Gastroschisis Awareness) 127 days in the NICU, and 6 weeks thousands of miles from home, because of gastroschisis.  Expecting #3 2ndtri.gif July 2011! computergeek2.gif www.frugallynatural.org
#6 of 7 Old 04-28-2011, 04:01 PM

I love classic names! I think they sound great! :-)

#7 of 7 Old 04-29-2011, 10:42 PM

They do sound old fashioned but I think this is what you are aiming for, right? I like Paul - here in Austria Paul is fairly common right now!

I am not so sure about Paul and Robert together but it is soooo personal!

Esther sounds a bit strict to me. I imagine a swiss servant in a black uniform. I love Claire, though.

But all of my opinions do not matter much because I have a bit of a different take on names since my native language is German and not everyone likes my name choices!

Barbara, Mama to Isabel (06/2004), Jake (08/2006-03/2007), Noah (01/2008), and Matteo (07/2011) 
Please always research the safety of vaccines even if your doctor tells you they are harmless! novaxnocirc.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page