When do we start RRL Tea and EPO? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 05-10-2011, 11:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanHippie View Post

Does anyone have any suggestions on when I should start taking EPO vaginally?  I need to have this baby before 40 weeks.  My OB is threatening me with a c-section already because I have GD and my last baby was 10 lb 12 oz and had shoulder dystocia.  He was overdue by 2 days and I drank castor oil to avoid an induction, which was scheduled for 2 days later.  I'm not trying to have this baby before 37 weeks obviously, but I need this to happen before 40.  I can not have a c/s!

Most midwives in my region recommend starting it orally at 34-35 weeks and vaginally at 37 weeks.  I've done that with each of my pregnancies.  I was really good at remembering with my first 2 babies, and they were born at 38.5 and 37.5 weeks.  I was terrible at remembering with my 3rd baby, and she was born at almost 41 weeks.  :)  I'm sure there was a lot at play there, but needless to say...I'll be remembering my EPO this time.  :D

Christine, mama to Ava (7.05), Alder (5.07), Sadie (2.09) and #4 due mid-July 2011! 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 51 Old 05-18-2011, 08:55 PM

You ladies inspired me, I just recieved my first EVER shipment of loose tea (red raspberry, nettles, peppermint). I'm excited to try a cup tonight but would love to make some in a quart jar over-night as many of you described doing. I bought a couple mesh things to put the tea in but don't quite understand how much I should use. Should I just eye-ball it and see how it tastes?

I agree with was PP stated about the RRL having a cooling effect, I remember feeling very refreshed when I kept up with my quart a day of RRL last pregnancy (I delivered on august 17th so i went through quite a bit of the summer pregnant).

I bought a bunch of Yogi tea (RRL & pregnancy tea) but the RRL wasn't having the same affect on me as it did last pregnancy (no noticable braxton hicks).

Hope this stuff gets my uterus toned in time for delivery and increases my platelets for my blood draw next week (nettles is supposed to help w/low platelets).

winner.jpgFormer WIC Peer Breastfeeding Counselor (2005-2011) now SAHM to bouncy.gif DD (8/2003), thumbsuck.gif DD (8/2008homebirth.jpg ), mate to jammin.gif since 07/2000. Expecting Baby Roo Mid July 2011!  stork-suprise.gifcd.gif

#33 of 51 Old 05-19-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkedstar View Post

You ladies inspired me, I just recieved my first EVER shipment of loose tea (red raspberry, nettles, peppermint). I'm excited to try a cup tonight but would love to make some in a quart jar over-night as many of you described doing. I bought a couple mesh things to put the tea in but don't quite understand how much I should use. Should I just eye-ball it and see how it tastes?

I agree with was PP stated about the RRL having a cooling effect, I remember feeling very refreshed when I kept up with my quart a day of RRL last pregnancy (I delivered on august 17th so i went through quite a bit of the summer pregnant).

I bought a bunch of Yogi tea (RRL & pregnancy tea) but the RRL wasn't having the same affect on me as it did last pregnancy (no noticable braxton hicks).

Hope this stuff gets my uterus toned in time for delivery and increases my platelets for my blood draw next week (nettles is supposed to help w/low platelets).

My midwife says a healthy handful- so the little mesh bags wouldn't cut it. I just put it straight into a quart jar, add boiling water, put on the lid and put it in the fridge after it cools for a bit. In the am i just use a mesh strainer, pour it out into a big cup then compost the rest. I'd say theres probably at least a half cup of leafy stuff that I strain out. the first batch of tea I made tasted way better than this big batch I made. I think I need to add some more RRL.

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF

#34 of 51 Old 05-19-2011, 10:03 AM

Thanks Jenica! I bought the mesh tea thing so I could make 1 cup at a time. Last night's tea was pretty weak though (i had a mixture of RRL, nettles and spearmint). My husband seemed to think you're supposed to pour the boiling water OVER the mesh ball, I guess they did this at a tea place we have in town (he accompanies our DD for a birthday tea party). I had just set the mesh ball into the cup of boiling water and let it steep for 30 min or so.

I will try the quart jar method, do you find you have to dilute it though? Id like to make some bigger batches of iced tea, any idea on how to do that?

winner.jpgFormer WIC Peer Breastfeeding Counselor (2005-2011) now SAHM to bouncy.gif DD (8/2003), thumbsuck.gif DD (8/2008homebirth.jpg ), mate to jammin.gif since 07/2000. Expecting Baby Roo Mid July 2011!  stork-suprise.gifcd.gif

#35 of 51 Old 06-01-2011, 09:56 PM

So RRL doesn't bring on labor does it? I almost bought some of the earth mama tea online today, vaguely remembering that I drank RRL during my last pregnancy. But then I got scared off by some reviews saying it induced labor. For multiple reasons this time around, I do NOT want to go early at all so don't want to take anything that might induce earlier labor. Am I in the clear?
#36 of 51 Old 06-03-2011, 11:53 PM

RRL tea should NOT start labor. But, I know that my midwife doesn't recommend drinking it if you are at risk for preterm labor (for example, I had a yeast infection around 20/24 weeks and was having a lot of contractions, and she said to stop drinking it then).

doula, wife to Dave ribbonyellow.gif, mom to Noah (5/14/06) superhero.gifand Faith (11/13/08) ribbonlime.gif (Gastroschisis Awareness) 127 days in the NICU, and 6 weeks thousands of miles from home, because of gastroschisis.  Expecting #3 2ndtri.gif July 2011! computergeek2.gif www.frugallynatural.org
#37 of 51 Old 06-05-2011, 12:41 AM

Just wanted to post, for anyone not wanting to make your own tea, you can buy the Traditional Medicinals Pregnancy Tea on Amazon.com and using Subscribe & Save makes each box about $3.00 each, which is better than the $5.50 I was paying at the health food store.  I brew 8 tea bags at a time, which lasts me 2 days if I drink as much as is recommended, so each box is 4 days worth (16 bags each).  Anyhow, this is what I decided to do when I couldn't get the RRL from Mountain Rose (though I think now it's back in stock).  I am just brewing 8 tea bags in a jug that holds about 8 cups of water, and I just put them in at night, and then take them out in the morning when the tea has cooled.  I put in a little honey before I refrigerate it.  Then I try to drink half the jug during the day.  Hope this helps somebody!

Mama to a daughter (3/2008) and a son (7/2011)
#38 of 51 Old 06-06-2011, 06:35 AM

I started drinking RRL tea 2 days ago. I'm 32w now. I've been a little paranoid about drinking it because the last time I did, I started to miscarry the day after. It was probably a coincidence but it still stuck with me. That was in the first trimester so I wanted to wait until much, much later to consider trying it again.

Both times that I have drank it so far I have gotten awful headaches at the base of the back of my skull and low back pain. Plus, the first time after just a few ounces I got very nauseous and had to lie down. I fell asleep for about 2 hours in the middle of the day, which I rarely can do even when I want to. What do you suppose that's all about? Any ideas?

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#39 of 51 Old 06-06-2011, 07:48 AM

I just brewed up some RRL tea yesterday (for iced tea).  Now I'm scared to drink it.  lol. 

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#40 of 51 Old 06-06-2011, 06:56 PM

I spoke to my MW and she told me to stop drinking it. That's just great since a friend of mine just bought me a bunch in bulk and is mailing it to me. Oh well.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#41 of 51 Old 06-06-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

I started drinking RRL tea 2 days ago. I'm 32w now. I've been a little paranoid about drinking it because the last time I did, I started to miscarry the day after. It was probably a coincidence but it still stuck with me. That was in the first trimester so I wanted to wait until much, much later to consider trying it again.

Both times that I have drank it so far I have gotten awful headaches at the base of the back of my skull and low back pain. Plus, the first time after just a few ounces I got very nauseous and had to lie down. I fell asleep for about 2 hours in the middle of the day, which I rarely can do even when I want to. What do you suppose that's all about? Any ideas?

Yeah, I have never heard of headaches, nausea or any symptoms like that from RRL. I'm not saying you didn't have a bad reaction to it, but it's not typical. As for your miscarriage, my understanding is that RRL does *not* cause contractions and certainly doesn't cause miscarriage. What it does do is make your uterus stronger and more effective, so it will only help your uterus do what it's going to do anyway, if that makes sense. So I can see it would be a bad idea for anyone at risk for PTL, because maybe your body wants to contract but you don't want to encourage it in that case. Anyway I promise you did not cause your miscarriage with RRL! Although in your case having had a bad reaction to it (if you know for sure it was the RRL) I'd definitely stay away from it.

For most women, RRL is one of the best things you can take in pregnancy, not just as a uterine tonic, but also to balance your hormones and add extra iron and lots of good nutrients into your diet. If it caused PTL or anything like that, I'd be in trouble because I've been drinking it since the first trimester! And I notice my energy level drops on the days when I don't.
#42 of 51 Old 06-06-2011, 08:01 PM

I don't want to scare people away from it. From what I've read, like you say, it's safe and even good for you. One of the reasons I wanted to drink it was for the extra vitamins and minerals. This is baby #4 and I've never had trouble with PTL. I can't say for sure that the headaches and such were caused by the RRL tea but I didn't drink any today and haven't had any headaches, nausea or low back pain like I had yesterday and the day before when I did drink it. It seems really weird that it would cause those symptoms in me. I don't normally have headaches or any of the other issues.

#43 of 51 Old 06-07-2011, 05:58 AM

I tried it yesterday and it gave me a headache too.  It also tasted like crap because I can't sweeten it with anything.  I'll just drink water.  I'm still pounding down the EPO at least.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#44 of 51 Old 06-07-2011, 06:42 AM

SuburbanHippie: how much EPO are you taking and when did you start? My midwife in the US (told me to try Borage oil this time instead of EPO to see if it helps me better - I tend to go way over my EDD).  Are you taking the EPO orally only? Thanks! M

Married to my high school sweetheart (15years), Mamma to 3 boyspeace.gif (2000), whistling.gif(2003), blahblah.gif (2007) and growing a new little one stork-suprise.gif due late July 2011. 
#45 of 51 Old 06-07-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:

I tried it yesterday and it gave me a headache too.  It also tasted like crap because I can't sweeten it with anything.  I'll just drink water.  I'm still pounding down the EPO at least.

My MW said that I could still try the nettle, oatstraw and dandelion. I just had a friend buy me some along with the RRL in bulk and I don't want it all to go to waste.

#46 of 51 Old 06-07-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumofmak View Post

SuburbanHippie: how much EPO are you taking and when did you start? My midwife in the US (told me to try Borage oil this time instead of EPO to see if it helps me better - I tend to go way over my EDD).  Are you taking the EPO orally only? Thanks! M

I'm taking 1000mg 3x day orally.  Once I hit 37 weeks I add in another dosage vaginally (pricked with a sterilized pin).  This is my first time trying it.  I started taking it orally about 2-3 weeks ago I think. 

#47 of 51 Old 06-15-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:

I'm taking 1000mg 3x day orally.  Once I hit 37 weeks I add in another dosage vaginally (pricked with a sterilized pin).  This is my first time trying it.  I started taking it orally about 2-3 weeks ago I think. 

I was wondering how much other people were taking.  I started taking the same dosage of EPO last week, around 36 weeks, but wasn't completely sure if that was a good dosage.  I can't remember how much I've taken in the past for the life of me.  I'm not sure if I need to do a vaginal dosage, but I might.  I've done it in the past, but only sporadically, not every night.  I think I recall using some vaginally the night before I went into labor with my last baby.  

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#48 of 51 Old 06-16-2011, 07:05 AM

Well I tried one last night vaginally.  Yeah, I know it's early.  It fell out the first time I got up to pee (not even 2 hours later).  How exactly is it supposed to stay up there with all of the pee sessions in the middle of the night?  Should it have melted?  Are you supposed to poke holes in the gel tab first?

#49 of 51 Old 06-16-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:

It fell out the first time I got up to pee (not even 2 hours later).  How exactly is it supposed to stay up there with all of the pee sessions in the middle of the night?

lol.gif Good question

#50 of 51 Old 06-16-2011, 12:00 PM

No idea, lol.  I'll let you know when I try it.  My mom is coming on Monday and I don't want to have this baby before then.  I know with at least one of my babies, I think the last one, I used some vaginally the night before I went into labor, so I'm holding off until Monday to try it.  I've never poked holes in it, and also don't remember them falling out.  Can you reach your cervix?  Mine is always open to 2-3 cm. by this point, it's hard to reach, but if I remember correctly, I usually try to put it in the cervix opening, which holds it in a little better I'm guessing.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#51 of 51 Old 06-16-2011, 12:07 PM

I can't reach my cervix (I have stubby fingers) and my OB said it was closed up tight still (which is why I started these already).  Maybe I'll have DH try tonight.  He's going to look at me like bigeyes.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page