When do we start RRL Tea and EPO? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 05-02-2011, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is it around 36 weeks, or earlier (for RRL)?  I can't remember, lol!

Sarah-Mommy to T (5), C (2) and baking a baby girl due in early July
#2 of 51 Old 05-02-2011, 02:08 PM

I was thinking about starting at 30 weeks but I'm not sure. Whenever I have had RRL when I was on my period, it made my cramping worse. I don't want to induce contractions by drinking it even though it's not supposed to. I guess I can try one cup and see what happens. If no contractions then I am going to try to drink it daily from 30 weeks.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#3 of 51 Old 05-02-2011, 02:17 PM

I've been drinking RRL since about 16 weeks. I did the same with my last birth also. 

What does EPO stand for?? redface.gif

homeschooling, husband pleasing, mama to 3 boys and another little love on the way!chicken3.gif
#4 of 51 Old 05-02-2011, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I was thinking I could start RRL tea earlier than EPO (Evening Primrose Oil :) )

#5 of 51 Old 05-02-2011, 03:45 PM

My midwifey told me to start RRL at 28 weeks - however I have a limited stash (having brought it from the US since I can't buy it here) so I think I'm going to wait a few weeks. Is it better to drink more at the end rather than a little the for a longer period of time? I have read in various places that 2-4 cups a day is best. My stash isn't enough for that, I have only about 4 weeks worth if I drink several cups a day. I'm 31 weeks now and have had a few cups here & there. And yes, what is EPO? Oh, and I got nettle tea today from the midwifey to mix with RRL, anyone use that, too?

Mama to boy born 7/18/11 and another on the way in November '13  Rainbow.gif

#6 of 51 Old 05-02-2011, 03:46 PM

And do you start EPO orally or vaginally? Or??? When do you start this typically?

#7 of 51 Old 05-02-2011, 04:04 PM

EPO is evening primrose oil. You can take it orally and/or vaginally. It is a natural prostaglandin aka cervical ripener, and you should never take it before 37 weeks! I don't think I'm going to take it at all because my cervix needed no help ripening on it's own last time.

RRL tea I've been drinking since the end of the first trimester. During second tri I aimed for a quart a day. Now I make 4-6 quarts at a time to keep in my fridge and just drink as much as I can. It doesn't cause contractions--what it does is tone your uterus so any contractions you have are stronger and more effective. It also balances your hormones, and is a fantastic source of iron and other nutrients! It's great for all women pregnant or not.

My pregnancy tea mix: I buy my herbs in bulk and mix them in a large bowl then store in a jar: 2 parts RRL, 1 part nettles (extra iron), 1 part mint (for flavor plus good for digestion), 1 part oat straw (extra calcium.)

I really believe drinking this tea in my last pregnancy helped me to have an awesome, easy fast birth and quick healing time. It's great to keep drinking postpartum as you heal too!

I put about an inch of herbs in the bottom of a quart-size mason jar, fill with boiling water, cap loosely and steep overnight, then strain and cut with water to dilute it to my taste. You can also mix it with juice or sweeten it however you like. I like it best iced!

Rosemary Gladstar's book Herbal Healing For Women has lots of pregnancy tea recipes and is a great source for which herbs are great for pregnancy as well as what to avoid and why.
#8 of 51 Old 05-02-2011, 08:36 PM

Every pregnancy tea I see uses nettle (for iron) but so many people tell you to stay away from it because it's a diuretic, same with alfalfa.

I use all of these in my tea and haven't had any problems thus far.  I also make a mixture and store it in a big jar then just either make a pot at a time or an infusion in the french press.   I don't think I'm drinking enough of it consistently though.  Must get better with this and my hypnobabies.

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#9 of 51 Old 05-02-2011, 08:51 PM

I also make up my own tea- nettle, RRL , oatstraw and some peppermint for flavor. EPO I took once and won't use it again, with that birth I had light mec issue on baby and I felt perhaps I added stress to baby's system by trying to get him out on time (I was nervous about going overdue as my first babies were overdue). And I've had 2 more births since the EPO one and didn't need help either. I start drinking RRL tea early on- since my first trimester to be precise.

#10 of 51 Old 05-02-2011, 09:52 PM

I started the RRL in first trimester. I had an occasional cup now and then. Once I got into second trimester, I started having at least one cup a day, sometimes two. Now I'm in the third trimester, I have three tall glasses of iced tea (I was drinking it hot before).

I buy my RRL and Nettle from Mountain Rose herbs and mix them in a big tin (2 parts RRL to 1 part Nettle). I put a hefty handful of this mixture into a quart jar with a couple spoonfuls of Red Rooibos tea (also from Mountain Rose Herbs) add boiling water and let it steep over night. The next day I put about 1/3 of the tea into a tall glass, fill the rest of the way with water, add a splash of lemon and a touch of agave nectar. I do this three times a day to use up the tea. It's fairly tasty and rather refreshing. smile.gif

I was having problems with feeling over heated all the time. My midwife told me that RRL tea is a natural coolant and, once I upped the amount I was drinking, I noticed a definite difference in how hot I was feeling. We just spent four nights away from home and I didn't take any RRL tea with me. I started feeling overheated on the second day and it got worse. Now I'm home and drinking my tea again, I'm much cooler.

I'm not planning on using EPO at all.

Married to an Ogre, Mother of Danora Rose 12/31/2008 and missing Evan Michael 12/31/2008 Expecting someone new 7/11/2011

#11 of 51 Old 05-03-2011, 07:04 AM

I've been drinking RRL tea since my first trimester. I've been using the Traditional Medicinals tea bags for a mug of hot tea in the morning. I need to increase how much I'm drinking to 2-3 cups a day and now that it's getting warmer I would love to try to make it iced, I love fresh iced mint tea.

Does anyone have a link for where they are buying the loose teas? and suggestions on how much to buy?

I'm hesitant to use the EPO, this is my first baby so I would like to allow my cervix to do it's own thing. But if I go to 41+ weeks I may give it a try.

Mom to Brodrick born on the 4th of July , 7/4/11.    h20homebirth.gif   nocirc.gif fuzmalesling.gif familybed1.gif Love my husband of 3 years.   treehugger.gif Workin' mamma looking for a way out of the corporate world.

#12 of 51 Old 05-03-2011, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

I live in an area where c section rates are high, and homebirths are frowned upon, to give y'all a vibe of what I'm dealing with with regards to trying to prevent inductions ;)  I used EPO with my second, with no problems, and plan to use it again this time in the hope that I can fend off the pit police around 40 weeks, lol.

#13 of 51 Old 05-03-2011, 05:06 PM

RRL is safe throughout pregnancy. I will start EPO around 36 weeks, I've used it in both of my previous pregnancies with no problems. I take it orally starting at 36 weeks, and then start doing it vaginally at 37 or 38 weeks.

doula, wife to Dave ribbonyellow.gif, mom to Noah (5/14/06) superhero.gifand Faith (11/13/08) ribbonlime.gif (Gastroschisis Awareness) 127 days in the NICU, and 6 weeks thousands of miles from home, because of gastroschisis.  Expecting #3 2ndtri.gif July 2011! computergeek2.gif www.frugallynatural.org
#14 of 51 Old 05-05-2011, 12:48 AM

Thanks for the info on RRL tea! I am going to start this week then!

I do not use EPO but I use a good oil mixture either from a pharmacy or from Weleda do massage my perenium and I have not had a single tear in 3 births (first even with a suction cup!).

I start that around 34 weeks!

Barbara, Mama to Isabel (06/2004), Jake (08/2006-03/2007), Noah (01/2008), and Matteo (07/2011) 
Please always research the safety of vaccines even if your doctor tells you they are harmless! novaxnocirc.gif

#15 of 51 Old 05-05-2011, 07:40 AM

Anyone familiar with this RRL blend?? It's something that the midwife I talked to last night actually requires her clients to take.

Does it matter where you get the materials? Like if my local grocery has these things are they as good as if I get them from the herb store 45 mins away? Also, do you think I could use fresh Nettle? I've got about an acre of it right out my back door. I also have a giant area of mint wandering out of control, can I use that fresh too? (can you tell I'm new to this herbs thing)

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF

#16 of 51 Old 05-05-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamahen2coop View Post

Anyone familiar with this RRL blend?? It's something that the midwife I talked to last night actually requires her clients to take.

Does it matter where you get the materials? Like if my local grocery has these things are they as good as if I get them from the herb store 45 mins away? Also, do you think I could use fresh Nettle? I've got about an acre of it right out my back door. I also have a giant area of mint wandering out of control, can I use that fresh too? (can you tell I'm new to this herbs thing)

I have been drinking the following blend:

2 parts Red Rasberry Leaf
2 parts Nettle
1 part Oatstraw
½ part Alfalfa
½ part Rose Hips
¼ part Red Clover
¼ part Mint

I love it!  If you have mint and nettle growing I would totally use it, but for simplicity sake and also proper proportion I would dry it.  This is easy.  We simply pick a quantity of the herb de-stem it etc, and lay it on some plate that we set in the window.  I stir it periodically until it is dry.  Easy.

I don't think it really matter where you get the herbs from, but I have never seen most of these at a regular grocery store.  I get mine at a local food co-op that has a huge assortment of bulk herbs.  Places like Whole Foods and Vitamin Cottage also have a wide variety of herbs in bulk.

Partner  partners.gif(10 years) Mother to Lily hearts.gif (4 years), Jonas babyboy.gif (1.5 years),  1 dog , and 1 cat 

#17 of 51 Old 05-05-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gismobabe View Post

Thanks for the info on RRL tea! I am going to start this week then!

I do not use EPO but I use a good oil mixture either from a pharmacy or from Weleda do massage my perenium and I have not had a single tear in 3 births (first even with a suction cup!).

I start that around 34 weeks!

Any good resources on correctly doing pereneum massage? I'm intrigued to its benefits but intimidated by the task! And what type of oil is best? I have "Mother's Special Blend" for my belly which is almond, coconut, cocoa butter & vitamin E? Is EPO used for this massage? A friend gave me her EPO and said it goes vaginally as a capsule. I don't know about any of this!

#18 of 51 Old 05-05-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radicaleel View Post

EPO is evening primrose oil. You can take it orally and/or vaginally. It is a natural prostaglandin aka cervical ripener, and you should never take it before 37 weeks! I don't think I'm going to take it at all because my cervix needed no help ripening on it's own last time.

RRL tea I've been drinking since the end of the first trimester. During second tri I aimed for a quart a day. Now I make 4-6 quarts at a time to keep in my fridge and just drink as much as I can. It doesn't cause contractions--what it does is tone your uterus so any contractions you have are stronger and more effective. It also balances your hormones, and is a fantastic source of iron and other nutrients! It's great for all women pregnant or not.

My pregnancy tea mix: I buy my herbs in bulk and mix them in a large bowl then store in a jar: 2 parts RRL, 1 part nettles (extra iron), 1 part mint (for flavor plus good for digestion), 1 part oat straw (extra calcium.)

I really believe drinking this tea in my last pregnancy helped me to have an awesome, easy fast birth and quick healing time. It's great to keep drinking postpartum as you heal too!

I put about an inch of herbs in the bottom of a quart-size mason jar, fill with boiling water, cap loosely and steep overnight, then strain and cut with water to dilute it to my taste. You can also mix it with juice or sweeten it however you like. I like it best iced!

Rosemary Gladstar's book Herbal Healing For Women has lots of pregnancy tea recipes and is a great source for which herbs are great for pregnancy as well as what to avoid and why.

Where do you buy your bulk herbs from?  Thanks!

#19 of 51 Old 05-05-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightswimming View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by radicaleel View Post

Where do you buy your bulk herbs from? Thanks!

This place is great: http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/

I got 2 *pounds* of RRL from them (that's a LOT) during my 1st pregnancy and had enough left over for most if not all of this one! It'd probably be better to buy smaller quantities for freshness, but I figure if I drink enough of it I'll still get the benefits!

I also go to the bulk herb section of a couple local stores as PPs have mentioned. This is a great way to go if you can find a place that carries bulk herbs. Smaller health food stores are most likely your best bet. (At least where I live, Whole Foods does not have a bulk herbs section.) I had to call around and ask to find out which stores had bulk herbs.
#20 of 51 Old 05-07-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Also, do you think I could use fresh Nettle?

It is my understanding that you shouldn't use fresh nettle once it has started to bloom. Something about it being hard on your kidneys. This is the best info I could find on the topic:
Quote:

Wise Use of Herbs and Vitamins During Pregnancy
Nettles are rich in biochelated iron, calcium, and protein, as well as a host of other important nutrients. “It is virtually a pregnancy tonic by itself,” says Gladstar. The benefits of drinking nettle infusion before and throughout pregnancy include nourishing and strengthening the kidneys, increasing fertility in men and women, nourishing the mother and the fetus, diminishing leg cramps and childbirth pain, preventing hemorrhage after birth, reducing hemorrhoids, and increasing the richness and amount of mother’s milk. According to Sharol Tilgner, ND, president of Wise Women Herbals in Creswell, Oregon, nettles should be picked prior to flowering to avoid bladder and kidney irritation. Although use as a tonic is considered safe in pregnancy, concentrated extracts of stinging nettles (such as used to treat hay fever) can act as an abortifacient.

Married to an Ogre, Mother of Danora Rose 12/31/2008 and missing Evan Michael 12/31/2008 Expecting someone new 7/11/2011

#21 of 51 Old 05-07-2011, 05:41 PM

so its no good once its started to have flowers? theyre still coming up. only about 2-3ft right now. its probably just as easy for me to get it at the store but i do have a ton outside!

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF

#22 of 51 Old 05-07-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earth-mama View Post

I have been drinking the following blend:

2 parts Red Rasberry Leaf
2 parts Nettle
1 part Oatstraw
½ part Alfalfa
½ part Rose Hips
¼ part Red Clover
¼ part Mint

I love it!  If you have mint and nettle growing I would totally use it, but for simplicity sake and also proper proportion I would dry it.  This is easy.  We simply pick a quantity of the herb de-stem it etc, and lay it on some plate that we set in the window.  I stir it periodically until it is dry.  Easy.

I don't think it really matter where you get the herbs from, but I have never seen most of these at a regular grocery store.  I get mine at a local food co-op that has a huge assortment of bulk herbs.  Places like Whole Foods and Vitamin Cottage also have a wide variety of herbs in bulk.

So where do I start "part" wise? I'm NOT a tea drinker so I'm going to have to do some serious experimenting to get this stuff down. Like for a quart's brew do I start with a tablespoon or a teaspoon or what? Should I just mix them all together in the right parts/ratios then just figure out how much of it I like in mine? Also, the ONLY tea I like to drink is Numi Gunpowder green (besides Starbucks chai mmm...) Is there a way to get these things into that and make it taste normal? Or are there other teas that are good to mix with this blend to make it more palatable?
Thanks! I'm hoping you more experienced mamas can cut out some of my trial and error!

#23 of 51 Old 05-07-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Also, the ONLY tea I like to drink is Numi Gunpowder green (besides Starbucks chai mmm...) Is there a way to get these things into that and make it taste normal? Or are there other teas that are good to mix with this blend to make it more palatable?

FWIW, I don't like tea, but I haven't had problems with the taste of the RRL. I add a little honey to mine, but I also brew it quite strong, and don't have any issues drinking it at all, to the point that I almost like it now! (but this is straight dry RRL, not a blend, so I can't give any input about the blend...)

doula, wife to Dave ribbonyellow.gif, mom to Noah (5/14/06) superhero.gifand Faith (11/13/08) ribbonlime.gif (Gastroschisis Awareness) 127 days in the NICU, and 6 weeks thousands of miles from home, because of gastroschisis.  Expecting #3 2ndtri.gif July 2011! computergeek2.gif www.frugallynatural.org
#24 of 51 Old 05-07-2011, 08:09 PM

how much do you use per quart when you brew it?

#25 of 51 Old 05-07-2011, 08:17 PM

I don't measure, but I use a good handful I'd say. I squeeze it all together and stuff it into an empty tea bag, and the tea bag is totally full. I usually do one big full tea bag in 2 cups of water from the kettle, add maybe a tablespoon of honey, cover it and let it sit for about a half an hour, then dilute it with 2 more cups of water before drinking. The bags I use are similar to the T-Sac disposable filters at the bottom of the page here: http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/tea_tool/infusers.html

#26 of 51 Old 05-08-2011, 09:03 PM

I made my first batch last night. I put about a handful into a quart jar with some boiling water then let it sit all night. It's actually pretty good! DH loved it! Glad I'm not goign to have to choke it down. joy.gif

#27 of 51 Old 05-09-2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guatemama1 View Post

Any good resources on correctly doing pereneum massage? I'm intrigued to its benefits but intimidated by the task! And what type of oil is best? I have "Mother's Special Blend" for my belly which is almond, coconut, cocoa butter & vitamin E? Is EPO used for this massage? A friend gave me her EPO and said it goes vaginally as a capsule. I don't know about any of this!

Hi Mama!

Here in Austria the traditional oil we use is a mixture of: wheat germ oil, St. John's wort oil and the a few drops of the essential oils of Rose and Sage. Pharmacies here sell it already mixed so you could see if they would mix if for you.

I remember crying when I found out about the massage thinking of how awful it would be but it is not actually bad.

After my shower I lie on my back with my legs bent and start by massaging the actual pereneum - thumb inside the vaginal opening and index and middle finger on the outside. If feels rigid and after a few times it seems to get more pliable. Then I take my thumb and middle finger and massage all along the opening of the vagina slightly stretching. The whole thing does not take more then 5 minutes and you stop when anything feels uncomfortable.

At the very end of the pregnancy starting once you are full term (37w0d) many resources here recommend to sit over a bowl of steaming hayflower tea/oil. I put a bowl in the toilet (here we have the kind without tons of water in it) and sit on it letting the steam make my pereneum soft. Some internet resources recommend a sitz bath using hayflowers (this might be easier unless you have a bidet or a European toilet).

Hope this helps!

Barbara, Mama to Isabel (06/2004), Jake (08/2006-03/2007), Noah (01/2008), and Matteo (07/2011) 
Please always research the safety of vaccines even if your doctor tells you they are harmless! novaxnocirc.gif

#28 of 51 Old 05-09-2011, 09:35 AM

Does anyone have any suggestions on when I should start taking EPO vaginally?  I need to have this baby before 40 weeks.  My OB is threatening me with a c-section already because I have GD and my last baby was 10 lb 12 oz and had shoulder dystocia.  He was overdue by 2 days and I drank castor oil to avoid an induction, which was scheduled for 2 days later.  I'm not trying to have this baby before 37 weeks obviously, but I need this to happen before 40.  I can not have a c/s!

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#29 of 51 Old 05-09-2011, 11:13 AM

I ordered my herbs last night for the tea.  Looking forward to making my own (I have been drinking a lot of Earth mama Angel Baby 3rd trimester tea which is very similar to what has been suggested).

FYI- They are out of red raspberry tea on moutain herbs so I bought some from frontier herbs for $14.75 or so for a pound on amazon.com (with super saver free shipping if you spend $25 or are part of amazon prime).

#30 of 51 Old 05-10-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanHippie View Post

Does anyone have any suggestions on when I should start taking EPO vaginally?  I need to have this baby before 40 weeks.  My OB is threatening me with a c-section already because I have GD and my last baby was 10 lb 12 oz and had shoulder dystocia.  He was overdue by 2 days and I drank castor oil to avoid an induction, which was scheduled for 2 days later.  I'm not trying to have this baby before 37 weeks obviously, but I need this to happen before 40.  I can not have a c/s!

Most of the recommendations I have heard have you start at 36/37 weeks. That's when I usually start. I start by mouth at about 35 weeks, then use additional vaginally at 36 or 37.

SuburbanHippie likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page