Still breech at 30 weeks. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 05-13-2011, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

What a little butt head! I have been having horrible cervical pain and thought he was punching my cervix but oh no, he is kicking it! We had an ultrasound and my little man is head up.  I know I have time but I am so small and don't want him to run out of room and I so don't want a c-section. he is sooo grounded.

hippie.gifborn in the wrong era. Madly in love with my DH. Mama to my Beatles boys; L (6) and H (2). 
#2 of 22 Old 05-13-2011, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My little guy is still breech too...I was told to wait to try any kind of turning him technique until around 34 weeks because my midwife said he might have the desire to flip himself and if I encourage him to flip too soon it might mean that he'll flip back on his own when the urge to flip hits.  She said that acupressure was the best way to go as it is statistically proven to help...but that there are other things like playing music low on your belly, inverting your body, or putting warm compresses on your lower belly might help but no one has proven either way whether it works or not? 

Anyone get different advice?  I would really like my VBAC this time around and the breech part is making me worry!

Married to Mike blowkiss.gif(5/29/05) and mama to Emmie energy.gif (6/11/06), Chase superhero.gif(3/21/08) and our baby Parker lost at 16 weeks angel2.gif (2/22/10) , Sawyer joy.gif our rainbow1284.gif (7/11/11) and a girl baby.gif on the way in April! 
#3 of 22 Old 05-13-2011, 12:20 PM

I'm only 29weeks but I still feel like my LO flips back and forth a lot. I'm trying not to worry yet. If I'm sure it's breech I do some inversions as suggestion on the spinning babies website. An OB I work with used to refer her breech patients to a local person for moxibustion (sp?) she said she had as much luck with people doing that as she did with doing a manual version- about 50/50. If my LO doesn't settle in right I'll be doing cartwheels if someone says it might help. Im not sure if my midwife would do a breech del at home or not, but if she would and LO isn't footling, I'd totally do it. Footling, nah, I'll sign up for a C-S but I'd be super sad about it.

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF

#4 of 22 Old 05-13-2011, 01:47 PM

My 3rd was breech until 37 weeks. I did 20 minutes of inversion 3x/day for 3 weeks and he finally turned. I have a feeling this baby (#4) is either breech or transverse. I'm going to wait until my appt. next week and see what my MW says. Her assistant couldn't tell 100% at my previous appt two weeks ago.

S*

Sarah, Mom to Theo (8/06), Penny (1/08) and Felix 10/30) #4 due 07/11
#5 of 22 Old 05-14-2011, 11:37 AM

I'm 31 weeks and the little bugger is transverse. Which besides not being possible to birth vaginally is making my ribs expand and hurt like HELL!!  My midwives told me to start doing inversions to get the babe into a good position.  I just started them yesterday and I feel like I can already tell it's moving around.  I hope it works!!  I'm scared to death of having to have a c-section and hospitals in general.  If you go to www.spinningbabies.com you can see the inversions and the advice she has for getting baby into a good position.

Let's hope all our babes turn the right way before July!!  No C-sections!!!

#6 of 22 Old 05-14-2011, 11:43 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

DDCC to say I second the rec for www.spinningbabies.com... a ton of great information on that site!  But I also wanted to say that any serious treatments at this point could easily be undone by an active baby who decides to flip again.  I wouldn't worry for another 4-6 weeks.  If baby is still breech at that point, I would not at all hesitate to get moxibustion.  Often it only takes one treatment to work!  A lot of practitioners (find one on acufinder.com) will even teach your partner how to do it and send you home with a stick of moxi.  My practitioner has a 100% success rate and she says it usually happens in the appointment or within 2-3 days of continuing the treatment at home.

Good luck ladies!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#7 of 22 Old 05-15-2011, 12:28 AM

My baby seems to be flipping around and my ob/gyn said that he just has enough space and might have it till the end. My sister's second baby turned at 32 weeks, and she is small, too. At 30 weeks 25% of children are breech at birth only 3-4%. So they do turn.

Besides: if this is not your first vaginal birth delivering a breech baby is always an option. My ob/gyn and her whole group deliver breech babies successfully and it really is only a matter of whether the doctor has enough experience since the standard c-section is just applied now all the time without even considering other options.

Another thing my practice does is the External Cephalic Version with a 70% success rate once you reach 37 weeks and are still breech.

So there are options, I am pretty sure you will get your vaginal birth!

Barbara, Mama to Isabel (06/2004), Jake (08/2006-03/2007), Noah (01/2008), and Matteo (07/2011) 
Please always research the safety of vaccines even if your doctor tells you they are harmless! novaxnocirc.gif

#8 of 22 Old 05-15-2011, 09:52 AM

I just wanted to point out that even if it's your first baby, you can still have a vaginal breech birth if you have an experienced provider--it must be possible because I did it! I know of people who have had a breech VBAC too--so, totally possible.

I also can say with certainty that it's possible for you to do everything--moxibustion, Webster technique, inversions, hours of crawling, rebozo, hot/cold packs, music, pulsatilla, external version attempts, etc. etc. and still not have your baby turn head down. I am very skeptical that anyone has a 100% success rate with *any* method of turning babies, because sometimes the baby can't turn. And I mean "can't" literally. In my case my baby had the cord hooked over his arm just so, and he literally could not turn. And he still came out vaginally just fine, in fact more smoothly than many vertex babies. I do think all my efforts to turn him still helped him to be lined up in the best position possible.

So yes the vast majority of breech babies end up turning in time. But if your baby is the one that doesn't turn, it doesn't necessarily mean an automatic c-sec. I was very lucky to have 2 fantastic experienced midwives.
#9 of 22 Old 05-16-2011, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)

Don't give up hope yet!  I'm 32 weeks today and baby only turned mid-last week...she spent a week or so doing some sort of crazy expansion project in there--I think someone gave her power-tools!--and then Wed night last week did summersaults.  (It was actually pretty uncomfortable.)  I woke up the next morning really sore, but as soon as I stood up, I just knew she'd flipped...cervical pressure like crazy!  It's better now except when I'm really tired, but that first couple of days it was really strong.  I think she's squashing my bladder more now too...that's definitely changed since the flip!  We had an u/s on Friday and they confirmed that she flipped.  :)  And the OB could feel her head really easilly.

DS flipped 30-32 weeks too.  I can't remember the exact date, but I remember him doing it!  Although at the time, I didn't realize what was happening.  One evening, he was doing crazy flips so strong that XH could see them across the room.  At my next appt, I asked the doctor if he was head-down and he was.  (Although Doc #1 nearly made me jump off the table when she was feeling for the head!  Current doc was much more gentle!)

#10 of 22 Old 05-16-2011, 09:50 AM

Ok, I'm 32 weeks today and I've been doing my inversions for the last 3 days.  I think the baby has moved but I can't tell...I have a hard lump right between my ribs, I'm thinking that's either the head or the butt.  At this point I'd be happier if the baby was breech instead of transverse since my midwives can deliver a breech.  I'm keeping up the inversions though!

How's everyone else doing?

#11 of 22 Old 05-16-2011, 10:09 AM

DDDC

Spinningbabies.com is totally helpful!

I did inversions, clothespins on my toes, headstands in the pool, drawing on belly, talking to baby down low (well, DH did), and a million other things to no avail. DD was a breech baby with her feet and hands in my ribs. I cant remember what its called, but her butt was scheduled to come out first. At 38 weeks I had a version done by two OB doctors. They flipped her in about 90 seconds, and I went into labor a little more than 36 hours later smile.gif She was born 15 hours after I went into labor with no interventions.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#12 of 22 Old 05-16-2011, 04:03 PM

My baby isn't breech but posterior (as usual as I seem to have posterior babes) so I took a strong dose of pulsatilla the other night and have been crawling  a few times per day etc; really hoping he turns- he may have but I have trouble telling.

#13 of 22 Old 05-16-2011, 05:34 PM

yea sometimes I have a hard time telling what position baby is in. Sometimes I feel a big lump at the fundus but have a hard time telling if its a head or a butt. I try to pay attention to where the kicks are coming from but sometimes it's difficult. Today I felt empty at the fundus and really full all below like maybe it was transverse again. I'm bringing up the rear of the month at 29 weeks so I'm not worried yet. I dont remember even caring with DS, I just knew he'd be vertex. This one I'm not so sure!

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF

#14 of 22 Old 05-21-2011, 09:06 PM

hows it going for all the other butt first-ers? I'm 30 weeks now and still totally breech. Although sometimes it's transverse. i'm not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing! I'm not worrying per se, but I'm definitely concerned. I'm going to call the Webster chiropractor my midwife recommended on Monday and start going there. She said she'd do a frank breech at home if she could get another midwife to come also. I'd feel totally comfortable with that but not so much if it ended up footling. But the thought of a cesarean is honestly terrifying for me so I have to do what ever it takes to turn this baby before it runs out of room.
Also, my midwife said not to worry about doing inversions yet and that if I did, to be careful because changing position like that might precipitate rupture of membranes. Any truth to that or is she just being cautious?

#15 of 22 Old 05-23-2011, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Still breech here. 31 weeks yesterday amd have done inversions and water flipping. He flipped down for 2 days and flipped right back into his favored position. It is not only that he is flipping all the time and moving in there, it is like he WANTS to be head up. It is getting frustrating. I called my chiropractor today to get some more info. My MW does not do breech births so it is version at 36 weeks and c=section if he doesn't move. HELP!

hippie.gifborn in the wrong era. Madly in love with my DH. Mama to my Beatles boys; L (6) and H (2). 
#16 of 22 Old 05-23-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizyellow View Post

Still breech here. 31 weeks yesterday amd have done inversions and water flipping. He flipped down for 2 days and flipped right back into his favored position. It is not only that he is flipping all the time and moving in there, it is like he WANTS to be head up. It is getting frustrating. I called my chiropractor today to get some more info. My MW does not do breech births so it is version at 36 weeks and c=section if he doesn't move. HELP!

Sorry mama!! Im kinda in your boat. I was for sure still breech on Friday and I think it flipped yesterday. I cant feel the head easily anymore and am feeling kicks in different spots. I'm not sure it's vertex, but its just not as totally breech as it was. I'm SO SO SO hoping that it flipped and stays. Midwife said she might do a frank if she could get another midwife to come with her but we didn't discuss it thoroughly since she was sure it'd flip in time. My OB does versions around 36 weeks also so I'd totally try that if it flips back. I'm probably going to call the chiropractor soon and start going there also, just to make sure everything's good. I'm super scared of C/S too. I'm going to try everything I can google to get out of it!

#17 of 22 Old 05-24-2011, 02:10 PM

Yah, my LO is still "floating" at 31 weeks, but my midwife says they don't really care until they're 36 weeks.  I tried some baby turning with my first DD based on spinningbabies.com advice, and honestly it was almost disastrous.  I didn't actually know exactly how she was lying (I read a lot and gave it my best guess) and into the first attempt to "turn" DD starting FLAILING and shaking in a really awful way.  I remember feeling really sick afterwards too.  I guess in the end, DD was fine - but there was also meconium in my water.  I am almost convinced that I "spun" something wrong and she was temporarily in distress because of my turning attempt. :/

Suffice to say, I'm going to wait and let the midwives help/advise me if anything is necessary this time. blush.gif

Charlotte, mommy to Maggie (July 15th 2008) and Una (July 19th 2011)!
#18 of 22 Old 06-01-2011, 05:20 PM

Anyone still breech? I was breech at 30-ish then baby moved... but now at 35w1d we are back at breech. So MW told me to do some exercises and I'll see her next week. Anyway just wondering if anyone is still heads up! :)

Mama to boy born 7/18/11 and another on the way in November '13  Rainbow.gif

#19 of 22 Old 06-01-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guatemama1 View Post

Anyone still breech? I was breech at 30-ish then baby moved... but now at 35w1d we are back at breech. So MW told me to do some exercises and I'll see her next week. Anyway just wondering if anyone is still heads up! :)

Stinky!!! Sorry mama!!! That makes me nervous. I was breech until about 10 days ago and I think it's been vertex since. Sometimes I feel like it's not all the way vertex since I feel the kicks and jabs in weird spots that makes me have to really imagine what appendages they might be to be making those movements in those places. But, mostly now I feel knobby things at the fundus instead of an obvious round head and bladder jabs. I'm SO hoping it stays. My midwife said she'd do breech but I think she'd rather not.
BUT, I had a patient in labor last week who was vertex, turned to transverse IN LABOR, the OB did a version and she delivered an hour later. :0 so it's not too late until it's coming out!

#20 of 22 Old 06-02-2011, 07:53 AM

Thanks for the response mamahen2coop, especially with the last minute baby flip story!

I was feeling really high on pregnancy until yesterday. Aside from being breech, my belly measured the same as 2wks ago and I only gained 1lb. My MW didn't seem worried but it totally caught me off guard since I've been 3-4cm bigger every week and gaining weight much more than 1lb in 2 weeks! Still lots of baby movement - now what I understand as feet down below and a big head bulge to the top right, so I guess everything is probably OK. But does any of this ring a bell to anyone? I realize belly measurements can be off depending on baby position, how I'm lying, etc, but I found it weird.

This being my 1st time at this I guess I'm just caught a little off guard, now "worried" for the 1st time, and feeling a little deflated today because of it all.

#21 of 22 Old 06-03-2011, 06:31 PM

Due Date crashing with a happy story.

My DS2 was breech from well, a long time and still breech at 36 weeks after trying everything on spinning babies. Unfortunately, my midwives could not legally deliver a documented breech baby. He was frank breech and I had already had two successful totally natural births- one with the same mw group. After my research I decided there was no way I was going to have a c/s just because he was breech, but since I didn't have maternity coverage (we paid oop for the birth) I had no idea what I was going to do. Insurance had to cover a c/s, but wouldn't cover the two Drs within a two hour drive that I'd heard would do vaginal breech. We were considering going out of state (but I have fast labors) or trying to find another independent mw that would try it. I went to the chiro the day before my 37 week appt as a last ditch effort and he turned that night- at 37 weeks. He flipped again 5 days later, but I had a follow up with the chiro and he flipped back vertex and stayed that way for 5 more days till he was born. Now, I'm quite small, but thankfully he was my smallest by a lb at 6#7oz.

So, babies can turn till the very end. I literally had two painful contractions and his birth was very easy, so I always said he made up for all the trouble he caused.

CPST, LLL and Mom to a 9yr old animal lovin' girl, 6yr old wild man,  4 yr old cuddle bug and 1 year old "little brother."

Now we are growing the family with chickens, ducks, and dairy goats.

#22 of 22 Old 06-08-2011, 05:26 PM

I'm at 36w, 1 day and was still breech today ... until my MW did the manual baby moving thing and boy was that intense. It was hard for her to move baby, keep baby head down, but finally, it worked. So then I walked a whole bunch. Hopefully baby stays put! Manual manipulation of the uterus/baby like that is crazy! I feel sore and tired now but sorta afraid to lay down :) Want this lil one to get cozy and used to being head down :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page