Mothering Forum banner

Can we start a thread for those delivering by c-section?

689 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  slaggyc 
#1 ·
I am just wondering who else is having a scheduled c-section. This will be my first scheduled c-section, and I have no idea what to expect. I would love some support and input from other c/s mamas! Anyone?

#2 ·
I am a c-section mama. My first baby was a planned home birth but DS did not turn his head and ended up an emergency c-section. My second was a hospital birth with a midwives practice but DD also did not turn her head so another c-section. This time it will be a planned c-section.

I don't know if you are asking what happens during a c-section or just during a planned c-section. I can give you my experience during an emergency c-section if you would like that. For those with planned c-sections I was wondering what you pack in your hospital bag.

#3 ·
I personally have never had a c-section but have seen several done in the hospital during my internship. There was a momma in my MW practice that just had a very good experience with her c-section. She wanted to stay as "natural" as possible and asked her doc ahead of time if the baby could be placed on her chest for immediate skin to skin with delayed cord clamping. She also asked that the baby room in with her in the recovery room for the first hour instead of the mandatory 3 hour stay in the nursery following a c-section. Her OB agreed to her wishes. On the day of her surgery the nurses were "complaining" and didn't want to go along with what the doc had agreed on. She delayed the surgery until she was positive everyone was on the same page. It turned out very well.

From the research that I've done, many hospitals have gone to a single layer closure because it saves time. If it were me I'd request/demand a double layer closure especially if you are planning on having more babies.

The procedure itself didn't really seem that bad (again, I've never had one so I can't speak to the recovery process). The mom is brought into the OR and prepped with an epidural if she hasn't already had one. They may or may not strap your arms to the table (you can request to not have this done). Then they will drape you with surgical cloth, prep you belly with iodine/bedadine or some other cleansing solution. DP will be allowed to stay with you (usually at your head due to the surgical field). Then the procedure begins.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with the other details as to what it feels like, the recovery time etc.

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianBlesing View Post
From the research that I've done, many hospitals have gone to a single layer closure because it saves time. If it were me I'd request/demand a double layer closure especially if you are planning on having more babies.
I'm not planning a c-section either, but this is excellent advice. I wondered if there was any thing they could do to aid in "reenforcing" the scar to maybe help prevent uterine rupture.

#6 ·
DDCC--

Hi--I've had four C-sections, two unplanned, two planned, so I thought I could tell you at least what happened with me to give you some idea of what to expect:

This is what happened with my fourth (and one of my planned) C-Sections:

I went in 2 hours before my scheduled time; during those two hours, the nurses did paperwork, the doctor and anesthesiologist both came and talked with me, an IV was started, my body was prepped (gown, shower cap, shaving, etc.). Then I walked into the OR, had a spinal (not epidural), was catheterized, the drape was put up, and my husband was brought into the room.

This last time, I was able to recover with my baby, and nurse him right away. The nurses had me up and walking within ten hours of my surgery (this was rough).

For me, it helped to take my pain meds as often as possible when in the hospital, to eat very healthy and drink lots of water, and to take it very, very easy when I got home. By far, the worst side effect of my C-sections was the constipation afterwards (side effect of the pain meds). Right now, I'm 6 weeks postpartum, and feeling no pain or side effects whatsoever.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions!! Good luck, and congratulations on your summer baby!

#7 ·
I'm in the same boat as you- no idea what to expect. I had such bad injuries delivering my first that I can not risk going through it again. It took me almost 8 months just to be able to sit normally again! And I still need a few surgeries to correct my injuries. I am a bit nervous for a c-section just since I've never had one. I will definitely follow along on this thread and read other comments!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.