Traveling at 35 weeks--WWYD? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-17-2011, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My BIL (DH's brother) is getting married in late June, when I'll be 35 weeks along.  We're planning to drive to the wedding and it would be an 11-hour drive if we took minimal stops, but realistically, probably closer to 14 or 15 hours with our 2-year-old.  DH and DS are both in the wedding and I was feeling completely confident about taking the trip until last night.

All of a sudden, I have a really bad feeling about the trip and I don't want to go.  We still have 6 weeks until the trip and I'm hoping this is just a temporary case of nerves, but I just keep imagining going into labor while we're traveling and ending up at some random hospital with a care provider who's completely unfriendly to natural birthers.

I'm trying to calm down and think of all the possibilities--after all, it's unlikely that I'd go into labor that early and if I did, they'd try to stop it anyway.  But would this make you nervous?  What factors would you consider when deciding whether to take a trip like this?

joy.gifLoving life with   geek.gifDH   biggrinbounce.gifDS1 (5/7/09) and   babyboy.gifDS2 (7/23/11)

#2 of 11 Old 05-17-2011, 12:34 PM

I will be traveling to a friend's wedding at 34 weeks. I'm hoping it will be a nice get away weekend before the baby comes. But we are flying and staying in a hotel, and I plan on taking it pretty easy. The main thing for me is the driving... Is flying a possibility? Personally, I can not imagine traveling 30 hours in one weekend in a car at 35 weeks pregnant. You could still fly at 35 weeks, and I think that would be much more comfortable. Also, do you have a comfortable place to stay before/after the wedding? If you were planning to stay with family, I would consider getting a hotel room where you can rest in a comfortable bed and get some peace. And maybe a message.:)  

Metis, partner to a peaceful soul, mothering DD born July '11

#3 of 11 Old 05-17-2011, 12:35 PM

I have very much the same situation. My DH very best friend in the world is getting married 5 weeks before my due date in the States (we live in Europe). In the beginning I was ready to go but by now I have simply told everyone that I can not make it. My DH is going by himself although he is worried about missing the birth. Both my kids and my DH were supposed to be in the wedding.

Rocky car rides are not ideal for very pregnant people, neither is it fun to sit in the car with a cranky 2 year old. 

Third trimester has hit me hard and I am more than happy to stay home. If I were you, I would send them by plane and stay home myself....

Barbara, Mama to Isabel (06/2004), Jake (08/2006-03/2007), Noah (01/2008), and Matteo (07/2011) 
Please always research the safety of vaccines even if your doctor tells you they are harmless! novaxnocirc.gif

#4 of 11 Old 05-17-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novus View Post

I'm trying to calm down and think of all the possibilities--after all, it's unlikely that I'd go into labor that early and if I did, they'd try to stop it anyway.  But would this make you nervous?  What factors would you consider when deciding whether to take a trip like this?

I went into labor at 35 weeks and they didn't try to stop it.  I don't think they normally do.  Also, I wasn't even having regular contractions and made it to 7cm before thinking I should go get checked out which is not that uncommon with preterm labor, so you might not have a ton of warning.  Actually the nurse on the phone told me no need to come in...  I think around 10% of births are preterm.  If it was important to me to give birth somewhere that I had checked out and talked to the providers, etc., I wouldn't go on a trip like this so far away.  It sounds super stressful and uncomfortable being so far along and having a 2 year old too, but that is just me.  On the other hand, if your hubby is going to go regardless, I would want to consider whether it was more important to me for him to be there or for me to be somewhere where I was comfortable with my care provider.  Really hard choice!  I don't think you should feel one bit bad or guilty no matter what you decide.  Birth is more important than a wedding.

#5 of 11 Old 05-22-2011, 11:55 AM

We just had a situation like this.  My husband's cousin was getting married in FL and even though that's only a 2 hr flight I decided to stay home.  I just couldn't imagine staying at his parent's home w/ other relatives.  I didn't think it was going to be a relaxing trip with a 3 year old.  You see the wedding wasn't going to be in the same town where my in-laws live.  I believe it was going to be a 2 hr trip (there and back)...and to me that was just a big headache.  That's just me though.

#6 of 11 Old 05-22-2011, 04:31 PM

We're going camping about 3 hours away when I'm 37 weeks.  I think you'll be fine.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#7 of 11 Old 05-22-2011, 06:56 PM

there's a camping trip planned that I really wanna go to on July 15th weekend. which is 2 weeks before my due date, but it's a float the river camping trip 2 hours away, and as much as I try to talk myself into it, I'm pretty sure that's just cutting it a little close

#8 of 11 Old 05-22-2011, 08:13 PM

I'm 35 weeks, from Canada and am in New Orleans for the weekend with my husband and 2 year-old.... I was worried, but now that I'm here, I'm completely fine.  All my worries for naught.  I'm glad I did it.   I'm relaxing, enjoying good eats and I know that this is the last time I'll have this opportunity before this baby is born.  You only live once!

#9 of 11 Old 05-23-2011, 06:09 AM

If it were me, I'd probably go if my husband was still going to the wedding. I'd rather give birth some place unfamiliar than be without him.

Then again, the biggest thing you'll have to worry about is having to pee every 5 minutes while you're on the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by APToddlerMama View Post

I went into labor at 35 weeks and they didn't try to stop it.  I don't think they normally do.  Also, I wasn't even having regular contractions and made it to 7cm before thinking I should go get checked out which is not that uncommon with preterm labor, so you might not have a ton of warning.  Actually the nurse on the phone told me no need to come in...  I think around 10% of births are preterm.  If it was important to me to give birth somewhere that I had checked out and talked to the providers, etc., I wouldn't go on a trip like this so far away.  It sounds super stressful and uncomfortable being so far along and having a 2 year old too, but that is just me.  On the other hand, if your hubby is going to go regardless, I would want to consider whether it was more important to me for him to be there or for me to be somewhere where I was comfortable with my care provider.  Really hard choice!  I don't think you should feel one bit bad or guilty no matter what you decide.  Birth is more important than a wedding.

Lisa, Mama to two 2-26-09 and 6-15-11

"Hey baby, do you like trains?"

#10 of 11 Old 05-23-2011, 09:00 AM

What is your birthing history? For me I wouldn't go. But both of my dd's were born at 36+6 and 36+5 after my water broke and very fast labours followed. I really can't imagine the long drive and then a wedding weekend. Besides what the heck do  you wear to a wedding when you are that pregnant

Leslie, mama to Paige 8, Zara 3 and Audrey, Sophia & Nina June 7/11 @32.6
angel1.gifOct/01angel1.gif July/10angel1.gif Sept/10

#11 of 11 Old 05-23-2011, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, all--lots of food for thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by APToddlerMama View Post

On the other hand, if your hubby is going to go regardless, I would want to consider whether it was more important to me for him to be there or for me to be somewhere where I was comfortable with my care provider. 

This is the issue that I'm considering the most right now.  On the one hand, it would be bad if DH weren't here for the birth.  But the idea of possibly birthing at a hospital like the one my SIL was at--where enemas are considered hospital policy, episiotomies are done without even telling the laboring woman, rooming-in is not allowed, etc--is absolutely terrifying to me.  I had a good hospital birth with DS at a hospital & with a OB/MW practice that was pretty natural-friendly, and even so, there were a lot of things that happened that were far from ideal.  DS was born at 39w2d though, so it seems unlikely that I'd go into labor that early.  In the end, I'll probably end up going and hoping like heck that it's an *uneventful* trip wink1.gif

joy.gifLoving life with   geek.gifDH   biggrinbounce.gifDS1 (5/7/09) and   babyboy.gifDS2 (7/23/11)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page