32 weeks, going for another ultrasound... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 05-17-2011, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I've measured around 4 weeks big for the past 8 weeks or so... today at my 32 week appt I measured 37! We've been ignoring it, but the closer we get to the birth, the more my husband and I are just feeling the need to check and make sure that everything is still "normal". Has anyone else been measuring big? I'm not too worried, but can't help having a little bit of fear that something might come up that will prevent us from having a homebirth AGAIN... And I've only had small babies so far (my first was only 7 1/2 lbs even though he was 11 days late, my second was 6 lb  4 oz at 38 wks) so thinking of having a big baby is a little worrisome... I guess it's time to do another Hypnobabies Fear Clearing session!

doula, wife to Dave ribbonyellow.gif, mom to Noah (5/14/06) superhero.gifand Faith (11/13/08) ribbonlime.gif (Gastroschisis Awareness) 127 days in the NICU, and 6 weeks thousands of miles from home, because of gastroschisis.  Expecting #3 2ndtri.gif July 2011! computergeek2.gif www.frugallynatural.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 05-18-2011, 12:47 AM

Wow, 5 weeks ahead? I know that the measurements are just a guess but 5 weeks off seems a lot. Have you had the u/s with the same person and machine every time? Did you do a Glucose test? Are you sure of the conception dates?

It is one thing if the baby is just long, but how does the head look?

Is there a chance to get a more detailed u/s with someone else?

Poor you!

Not the worries anyone needs right now!

Barbara, Mama to Isabel (06/2004), Jake (08/2006-03/2007), Noah (01/2008), and Matteo (07/2011) 
Please always research the safety of vaccines even if your doctor tells you they are harmless! novaxnocirc.gif

#3 of 14 Old 05-18-2011, 01:37 AM

I believe I am having a large baby too- I have had only small babies ( all five were between 7 and 7.5 pounds) but my new husband was 10lbs 9 ounces at birth- born at home in water but his mom said the birth was traumatic for her. I'm not worried, my midwife is not worried and my last baby had a large head so no worries on that end. If my baby ends up being 9-10 pounds- so what? My friends that have had 9-10 pounders have all said it's not any different from their smaller babies. My grandmother in law had 9 babies and said the 9 plus pounders were easier. She also thinks I'm having a large one- people come up to me randomly and think I am due any day then say oh, I had one of those 10 pounders too. So all in all, don't sweat it. If your baby is large- you will get through it. One doula I know who had 9 plus pounders said she didn't measure any larger. I also would take an US with a large grain of salt as far as size goes from what I've heard. One woman I know was scared into a C-sec for the first time cause doc said baby was too large- baby ended up being her smallest at 8lbs 12- not that that's going to happen with a homebirth midwife. I'm only measuring a week ahead and sure of date of conception. I've always measured 2 weeks behind except when I was pregnant with my twins and then I measured far in advance and at term measured 69 cm. Measuring larger could mean several things- not just large baby, excess fluid etc. My midwife says it's to early to tell what size my baby will be (I'm 32 weeks now) but she guestimates between 8 and 9 pounds at term.

#4 of 14 Old 05-18-2011, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

I've only had one ultrasound, at 25 weeks, and baby actually measured about a week small at that point on the ultrasound (which was a super detailed Level 2 u/s due to our last baby having a birth defect), although my fundal height was already measuring big then. I also didn't have extra fluid then either... which is why we've just ignored my measuring big to this point, attributing it to my anterior placenta or baby's position...

I only see my one midwife, so the same person measures me every time... I didn't do the glucose test because I haven't been symptomatic- I actually didn't even gain any weight between appointments this time! And I had an ultrasound to check ovarian cysts right before I got pregnant (it actually showed the egg that was going to be released, along with a nice empty uterus) so I'm positive of my dates. It's a mystery!

Even if baby is big, it's not going to change our plans... I just want to make sure there isn't something wrong that we should be aware of, you know? Unfortunately after the experience we had last time, I know far too much now about everything bad that could happen...

doula, wife to Dave ribbonyellow.gif, mom to Noah (5/14/06) superhero.gifand Faith (11/13/08) ribbonlime.gif (Gastroschisis Awareness) 127 days in the NICU, and 6 weeks thousands of miles from home, because of gastroschisis.  Expecting #3 2ndtri.gif July 2011! computergeek2.gif www.frugallynatural.org
#5 of 14 Old 05-18-2011, 12:31 PM

I've been measuring a consistent 3 weeks bigger and today will be measured again (33wks!) ... My brother & I were near 10-lb'ers so I figure going a bit big is probably normal for me. A friend with the same due date consistently measures "normal" or right on for the week she is and told me she comes from a 7 or 8 lb birthweight family. Who knows!!!

I figure as long as the healthcare provider, in my case the midwife, isn't alarmed than I'm cool, too. :)

Mama to boy born 7/18/11 and another on the way in November '13  Rainbow.gif

#6 of 14 Old 05-18-2011, 02:02 PM

During my last pregnancy, I measured 4 weeks ahead in the last trimester and my baby was 10 lb 12 oz.  They never did an u/s to gauge weight because they are typically incorrect anyway. 

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#7 of 14 Old 05-18-2011, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

I should clarify maybe that we're not doing the ultrasound to see the baby's size, really, although a big baby is a bit of a worry for me, just because my other two have been small and I'm not a big person (5'4" and about 125 lbs not pregnant). But even if they tell me the baby is going to be huge, that's not going to change our plans. I just want to be sure there isn't some other reason that I'm measuring big, like a potential medical reason or something like that, that would make a hospital birth the safer option. I know my midwife really well, we've been friends for about 4 years, and I trust her judgment and input, and she has been stumped. Usually she's not quick to suggest ultrasound, but she seemed like she thought it was probably a good idea... I will be curious to see what, if anything, we find out when we go on Monday.

#8 of 14 Old 05-18-2011, 08:13 PM

I hope I didn't offend you.  I deleted some of my message before I posted it and rereading it now it seems rather blunt.  Sorry. 

I'm having another u/s at 34 weeks for size actually.  My OB is pressuring me to have a c/s or an early induction because of the size of my last baby and the fact I have gestational diabetes this time, which has me really peeved.  I tried explaining how incorrect they are, but according to her there are like 100% accurate.  eyesroll.gif  I'm not even measuring ahead anymore.  *sigh*

I hope you find out what the deal is with measuring so far ahead and it's nothing serious.  hug.gif

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#9 of 14 Old 05-19-2011, 08:11 AM

I'm measuring 4 weeks ahead too. I have a sono today to check on a CPC and also LGA. I'm not at all worried about measuring large - I measured 2 weeks ahead with my oldest (8 lbs 12 oz) and 4 weeks ahead with my youngest (10lbs 12oz) but my midwife seems SLIGHTLY concerned. I guess we're going to check to make sure there isn't too much amnio fluid.

I wouldn't worry too much, it's pretty typical to measure ahead later in pregnancy. I've been measuring ahead since about 15 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahs.mom06 View Post

So I've measured around 4 weeks big for the past 8 weeks or so... today at my 32 week appt I measured 37! We've been ignoring it, but the closer we get to the birth, the more my husband and I are just feeling the need to check and make sure that everything is still "normal". Has anyone else been measuring big? I'm not too worried, but can't help having a little bit of fear that something might come up that will prevent us from having a homebirth AGAIN... And I've only had small babies so far (my first was only 7 1/2 lbs even though he was 11 days late, my second was 6 lb  4 oz at 38 wks) so thinking of having a big baby is a little worrisome... I guess it's time to do another Hypnobabies Fear Clearing session!

Crystal

mom to two boys (9/19/98) (8/24/03) and soon to be # 3 (7/2/11)

#10 of 14 Old 05-19-2011, 08:26 AM

I'm 5'3 and before my youngest I weighed around 115 (and he was 10.12 - I also gained 80 lbs!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahs.mom06 View Post

I'm not a big person (5'4" and about 125 lbs not pregnant).

Crystal

mom to two boys (9/19/98) (8/24/03) and soon to be # 3 (7/2/11)

#11 of 14 Old 05-19-2011, 01:01 PM

I am also measuring big.  I am at 34 weeks now, but at 32 weeks, I was measuring 35-36 weeks.  I had another ultrasound last week, and according to that the baby is estimated at 5.7lbs and in the 75th percentile.  The midwives are not worried about anything, and the baby is still considered normal.  I think they just want to keep an eye on things.  We also have some big babies in the family.  :-)

DH and I expecting our first EDD 6/30/11! 
#12 of 14 Old 05-20-2011, 03:20 PM

At my 30 week appointment, I was measuring at 35cm. I had an ultrasound that day (I've been measuring big and getting bigger) to check baby's size and amniotic fluid level, etc. Baby is measuring slightly ahead, but not unduly so. The doctor said I had a "generous amount of amniotic fluid." He didn't use the word "polyhydramnios" so I don't know whether it officially qualifies or not (and I've read different definitions of the minimum fluid volume that qualifies), but he thought the fluid level was high enough that we will need to monitor it via U/S. 

I've had 9-10 lbs babies and don't usually measure ahead until the very end, if I do even then, so this is new to me.

#13 of 14 Old 05-21-2011, 07:33 PM

I just had an ultrasound at 31+6 for the anatomy scan. I've been measuring a few weeks ahead since the middle of the pg. They of course estimated the size and weight of the baby, and the gestational age, but my midwives were very clear with me that at this stage of the pg, ultrasound is not at all accurate for these size estimates. It may just be that you are measuring ahead because your body already knows how to stretch out (since you've already had some babies), and everything is fine...

Best of luck!

Amanda, DW to Drew, mom to Ella, 7, Gardner, 2, homesteading on the edge of the continent on the Lost Coast.
mdcblog5.gif California Homesteading, http://eastmillcreek.blogspot.com

#14 of 14 Old 05-23-2011, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Everything is fine! Baby measured normal, fluid measured normal... who knows why I'm measuring big, but I feel better knowing everything is still normal :)

User Tag List