Uggh weight issues. Again. Still? lol....it's getting old.... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 05-22-2011, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO I've posted before...I have major anxiety with gaining weight and pregnancy is hurting my self esteem. I'm up from 150 to 182 at 4'11"... I'm not cute, I'm fat. My uterus is measuring 35-36 weeks, the baby itself on ultrasound is measuring a full 34 weeks, and I'm supposedly only going to be 32 weeks tomorrow.I was pretty sure of conception dates, as I had some issues beforehand, but the dating ultrasound at 6 weeks is supposed to be more accurate than the date we dtd.... :/  ANYWAY...if I have 8 more weeks, I'm sooooo scared at what I'm going to look like. :(Jace Week 32 (2).JPG

#2 of 18 Old 05-22-2011, 06:48 PM

Yeah I hear ya Momofplenty...

I'm measuring bigger and gaining more weight than I expected. It has become less novel lately. I was gaining weight slowly at the beginning, and pretty proud of myself, but now I feel like it is an outside force that I can't control. At 33wks I'm up to 205 from 170. I guess it's not sooo bad - it's similar to your stats actually :) I'm ok. It's just that topping 200 was like whoa. I expected to top 200 in a month or so. But what do I know?!! This is my first go at this.

Also my hubs is super thin and maintains 128lbs at all times. It's weird. So I feel pretty monsterous compared to him obviously. I noticed feeling "fatter" within the last 2 weeks or so (before that I felt just "bigger") and hubs is like, Yeah..you are bigger, esp my thighs. I'm used to Guatemalans (hubs is Guatemalan) having no tact when it comes to weight (being called, or referred to as, "gordita" in the past by people here wasn't ever 'supposed' to be an insult, more like an observation) but kinda not so patient at this point.

Mama to boy born 7/18/11 and another on the way in November '13  Rainbow.gif

#3 of 18 Old 05-23-2011, 05:08 AM

You look great in the picture momofplenty!    I'm 35 weeks, and seeing a number on the scale I've never seen before.   It is hard for many women I think, regardless of where you started.  I'm trying to keep it together by doing what we always do - exercise and eat right.   Added motivation at the end is that this is all for the baby, who is rapidly gaining weight now.   I want it to be weight from good foods, kwim?

Also, the dating thing is such crap!   the ultrasound is crap, the measurements are mostly crap.   Try to gain weight slowly and steadily, drink SO much water, and DO NOT let them push your due date up or tell you that the baby is going to be giant, etc.   Sorry if I'm telling you what to do blush.gif   I just feel so passionately about how women get misdated, then induced, then lots of interventions, etc.

#4 of 18 Old 05-23-2011, 06:16 AM

You do look great! I adore your baby belly and I'm super jealous.  I am not one to believe in how far along you measure. I consistently measure a few weeks ahead. However, I am a bigger lady and I carry all of  my weight on my belly so I will always be bigger there!

How far along do you calculate yourself to be, based on when you DTD? 

Lisa, Mama to two 2-26-09 and 6-15-11

"Hey baby, do you like trains?"

#5 of 18 Old 05-23-2011, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guatemama1 View Post

Also my hubs is super thin and maintains 128lbs at all times. It's weird. So I feel pretty monsterous compared to him obviously. I noticed feeling "fatter" within the last 2 weeks or so (before that I felt just "bigger") and hubs is like, Yeah..you are bigger, esp my thighs. I'm used to Guatemalans (hubs is Guatemalan) having no tact when it comes to weight (being called, or referred to as, "gordita" in the past by people here wasn't ever 'supposed' to be an insult, more like an observation) but kinda not so patient at this point.

Isn't it funny how different cultures/ages react to weight? It was never an insult to my grandma to call anyone fat. When I was an awkward teenager she used to always talk about how nice and fat and I was getting. Yeah, that's the best thing to tell a 14 year old or, really, anyone. ;)

Lisa, Mama to two 2-26-09 and 6-15-11

"Hey baby, do you like trains?"

#6 of 18 Old 05-23-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertilemyrtle View Post

You look great in the picture momofplenty!    I'm 35 weeks, and seeing a number on the scale I've never seen before.   It is hard for many women I think, regardless of where you started.  I'm trying to keep it together by doing what we always do - exercise and eat right.   Added motivation at the end is that this is all for the baby, who is rapidly gaining weight now.   I want it to be weight from good foods, kwim?

Also, the dating thing is such crap!   the ultrasound is crap, the measurements are mostly crap.   Try to gain weight slowly and steadily, drink SO much water, and DO NOT let them push your due date up or tell you that the baby is going to be giant, etc.   Sorry if I'm telling you what to do blush.gif   I just feel so passionately about how women get misdated, then induced, then lots of interventions, etc.

I have to agree with this. I had my second (and third) child in Japan and the WHOLE time I got lectured about "how big I am" and "you'll never get this baby out",etc. My first baby was 7lb 12 oz and the second was a whopping....6 lb 9 oz. Not hard at all to get out, and I let the doctor stress me out about weight gain too much. For the record he didn't say a darn thing about my size or weight for baby #3 and I gained at least 10 lb.s more that time and baby was 7 lb 6 is oz.!

#7 of 18 Old 05-23-2011, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. As far as dates go, I believe I'm actually 3 weeks further along based on the ONE time we dtd.... I always thought it was weird how ultrasound measured me 3 weeks different, but....whatever. I'm REALLY hoping to have a baby in June...Ive never measured bigger in any of my other pregnancies (this is 5) and I always go around 38 weeks...so I'd like to think June is a possibility, sanitysaver that would be....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelylisa View Post

You do look great! I adore your baby belly and I'm super jealous.  I am not one to believe in how far along you measure. I consistently measure a few weeks ahead. However, I am a bigger lady and I carry all of  my weight on my belly so I will always be bigger there!

How far along do you calculate yourself to be, based on when you DTD? 

#8 of 18 Old 06-17-2011, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Soooooooooooooooo yeah. In 7 days, I have gone from 176-178ish to 184. OMG.  Thankfully Im canceling my appointment with my set of providers, as they are AGAIN trying to put me with a doctor that is 1)not on the team of docs/midwives that would be delivering me and 2) a doctor that I have NEVER met. I'm just going to glide over this appointment and hopefully deliver by my 39/41 week appointment. I dont think I can handle having any crappy comments thrown my way about being almost 190 pounds. Even my "supportive" midwife says things like "the more you gain the more you have to lose. and you already have a bunch to lose from the last pregnancies...."    How to slow down this weight gain?!?!!? I'm eating but not eating junk. I've recently started drinking gatorade, as its the only thing that I can drink enough of to stay hydrated... I'm guessing thats whats causing this??? :( I'm already so stressed out...  :(

#9 of 18 Old 06-18-2011, 12:24 AM

Momofplenty, that's a big weight gain, any chance it's water weight retention or do you have any signs of preeclampsia?  If not, I wouldn't worry about it, just ignore their comments.  You're at the very end of your pregnancy, that's not a bad weight by the end.  But I might consider laying off the gatorade if I were you.  Maybe coconut water or regular water with some lemon or something with less calories and without HFCS?  Or iced RRL tea?  Maybe you could make up a batch every night to encourage yourself to drink it the next day?  

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#10 of 18 Old 06-18-2011, 07:53 AM

It doesn't sound like such a big weight gain to me - I'm up to 145 from 118, but measuring normally.  That's only 5 lbs less than you.  I'm 35 weeks.  But I can tell it isn't "fat" weight, just all that friggin' water and baby.  I gained like 35 lbs total with DD1 (to a little over 150 from 115) and it definitely came in skips and hops.  For two weeks between 34-36 weeks I gained nothing, and then gained 5 lbs in a week right at the end (up to 39 weeks?)  DD1 was 7 lbs 14 oz and I was back to my start weight 4-6 weeks PP.  I was 5 lbs below it by the time DD1 was 6 months old, lol.  I couldn't keep weight on for the life of me.

I think my point here is that it feels/looks like a lot of weight sometimes, but it doesn't mean there's anything gross about you or the baby.  Pregnancy just weighs a lot sometimes!  I think you look totally normal!

Charlotte, mommy to Maggie (July 15th 2008) and Una (July 19th 2011)!
#11 of 18 Old 06-18-2011, 08:14 AM

you look great! my advice is to tell your practitioner that you don't want to know your weight when you go in for appointments! i do this, i turn around on the scale and tell them i don't want to know, because i don't want to focus on it! i think it's rediculous that we as women have to go in and be subjected to the numbers on the scale. pregnancy should be and IS beautiful. i'm sorry you are having so much anxiety from this, but as a fellow woman i understand!!

gillian (25). wife to aaron (24). stay at home mama to roman(3). baby two in heaven, lost @ 8 weeks. and new blessing asher! (july.22.2011)

blog: http://comesincolours.blogspot.com/ 

#12 of 18 Old 06-18-2011, 08:34 AM

You look great! Your weight gain sounds normal to me, as does fundal height considering this is your 6th pregnancy. Barring any health issues, it's inappropriate and insensitive of your midwife to be making those kinds of comments about your weight and I wouldn't be afraid of telling her so.

My weight gain has been all over the map with each of my pregnancies. For me, it really hasn't determined anything in terms of how big the baby will be. With my first baby I gained 33lbs, weighed 180 at delivery, and he was 7lbs. With my second baby, I gained 55lbs and stopped weighing myself after I hit 185 or so. She was 7lbs4oz. With this baby I've gained 40lbs and have lost weight in the last month or so (staying at 183-184) while the belly continues to get bigger. My fundal height was 39 at my 37 week visit, I've measured 2 weeks ahead from the beginning and baby measured a week and a half larger during my one ultrasound. The big difference between this pregnancy and my others is my diet. I eat a lot more than most but I focus on whole foods and protein and I don't drink anything with a lot of calories since there's where a lot of empty calories come from. My intent was to grow a larger baby, I figured I would push past 180 again so I've tried to at least make the weight count.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#13 of 18 Old 06-18-2011, 08:53 AM

When I said it sounded like a big weight gain, I only meant for that one week.  I've gained 5-7 lbs. over a 2 week period before.  But that much in 1 week sounded like a lot to me and could possibly indicate problems, not of your fault though.  Your overall weight gain sounds perfect however, so maybe your body was just catching up.  I'm appalled that dr's and especially midwives would say anything like that to you!  

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#14 of 18 Old 06-18-2011, 09:18 AM

I am 10 pounds under what I gained with my first pregnancy (pre-eclampsia pregnancy!) and 10 pounds over what I gained with my healthy pregnancy. My first was small due to the pre-e but my second was 8 pounds 12 ounces. Maybe I'm just on my way to having a bigger baby?  I seem to gain in spurts though, going weeks without any change, and then suddenly there's a big jump in weight. I'm hoping this is the last big jump, but with 6 weeks to go...I doubt it! 

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

#15 of 18 Old 06-18-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofplenty View Post

Soooooooooooooooo yeah. In 7 days, I have gone from 176-178ish to 184. OMG.  Thankfully Im canceling my appointment with my set of providers, as they are AGAIN trying to put me with a doctor that is 1)not on the team of docs/midwives that would be delivering me and 2) a doctor that I have NEVER met. I'm just going to glide over this appointment and hopefully deliver by my 39/41 week appointment. I dont think I can handle having any crappy comments thrown my way about being almost 190 pounds. Even my "supportive" midwife says things like "the more you gain the more you have to lose. and you already have a bunch to lose from the last pregnancies...."    How to slow down this weight gain?!?!!? I'm eating but not eating junk. I've recently started drinking gatorade, as its the only thing that I can drink enough of to stay hydrated... I'm guessing thats whats causing this??? :( I'm already so stressed out...  :(

Gatorade is PACKED full of sucrose/sugar.  Plus, unless you're doing actual exercise you don't need all the sodium.  It's just going to make you bloat.  I've gained 7 lbs in a week before during my 2nd pregnancy, but I also ate like a half of a ice cream cake that week (my birthday lol).  Sugar definitely makes me pack on the pounds quick, which is why since I've started the GD diet I've barely gained anything.  I had gained 50 lbs before the GD diet though so I definitely feel ya on the weight gain issue.  The most I've gained was with my first (66 lbs).  I remember the Social Security lady coming in to get DS's information (I don't think they do this anymore though- I haven't done it with my other kids).  One of her questions was how much weight I gained during my pregnancy.  I told her and she actually said "Wow, do you want me to lie and say less?"  LMAO.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#16 of 18 Old 06-19-2011, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

I have stopped the gatorade.  I also gave up my "Go Mother Earth" side for a week and bought bottled water, because of how awful our tap water is and how much more water I drink from bottled water....at least Im recycling the bottles... :( :(    But, with 2 days of drinking tons of water, I dropped 3 pounds. YAY! My guess is I was just taking in too much sugar and not enough clean water. So that's my plan til the end...water water water. I'll be picking up a water filter today so I dont have to feel so guilty about plastics.

And no symptoms of diabetes, pre-E or anything.
Lets go baby....time for mama to stop stressing about weight and start loving on you!! lol

#17 of 18 Old 06-19-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofplenty View Post

I have stopped the gatorade.  I also gave up my "Go Mother Earth" side for a week and bought bottled water, because of how awful our tap water is and how much more water I drink from bottled water....at least Im recycling the bottles... :( :(    But, with 2 days of drinking tons of water, I dropped 3 pounds. YAY! My guess is I was just taking in too much sugar and not enough clean water. So that's my plan til the end...water water water. I'll be picking up a water filter today so I dont have to feel so guilty about plastics.

And no symptoms of diabetes, pre-E or anything.
Lets go baby....time for mama to stop stressing about weight and start loving on you!! lol

Don't feel bad about the bottled water.  I'm the biggest advocate of stainless steel water bottles, but for this pregnancy I've been drinking Smart Water by the liter.  I know it's terrible, but I can't choke down 3 L of water daily any other way.  There is just something about that gigantic bottle.  I refill it a couple times with our reverse osmosis water before I recycle it.

Good job on making the switch btw!  thumb.gif

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#18 of 18 Old 06-19-2011, 06:29 PM

I feel you, mama. I've gained faster this time around, and also began heavier, and look waaaaay bigger than with DD1 and everyone is always telling me so. However, it's really mostly boobs and belly, and your body looks similar. You look lovely, though I know it is hard to see it. It's hard to be so much larger than our usual weight!

Hang in there, you're almost done. Me too! Can't wait!

Amanda, DW to Drew, mom to Ella, 7, Gardner, 2, homesteading on the edge of the continent on the Lost Coast.
mdcblog5.gif California Homesteading, http://eastmillcreek.blogspot.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page