anyone else still have toddler in bed and a new baby soon to join? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-22-2011, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Mamas. I coslept with my DS, who's 2.5, for the 1st 15 mo of his life. Then he went to his crib for a year or so. Then we took a vacation and he got cozy in bed with us again, that was about 6 mo ago. So now, he goes to bed in his crib and comes in our room at some point. This works great for everyone...for the most part. There are those occasions when he's restless and keeps me up more than I'd like. But, overall I love having him next to me and I love waking up with him.

BUT, new baby will be here in July and I don't know what to do? DH and I keep saying we're gonna work on getting him to stay in his crib all night, but we both keep putting it off. I just feel so sad to move him out, but at the same time I don't know if it's a good idea to keep us all in bed together. I also don't know if it's wise to disrupt his sleep and be dealing with a toddler who may be sleep deprived, on top of adding the newborn to the household.

I'm afraid to wait till baby is here to make the change as I don't want my DS to resent baby and correlate him being kicked out of our bed to baby's arrival...

anyone else in the same boat? Anyone co-sleep with the whole fam?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2011, 11:14 PM

I would not plan on making any big changes in the few months after baby comes.  I am in a similar boat to you.  I have a 2 1/2yo who starts the night in his twin bed and comes into our bed every night between 12-5am.  He knows that when he wakes up he is always welcome in "our bed" as he calls it.  I plan on having a cosleeping pillow (tres tria) on the edge of the bed and then baby, me, toddler, and husband.  My body will always separate the two kids.  We have already started to talk to my son about how when the baby is in the bed he will sometimes have my back to him because the baby will need food at night just like he did when he was a baby and that I will not always be able to snuggle him, but if I can't then daddy can and then we both love him so much and he is so special to us.  If baby wakes my toddler up, then my toddler has the choice to be in our bed or be in his.  We have a twin trundle bed in his room, so my husband can always go sleep with him in there for a few hours if need be and once baby is 12 weeks and is on a schedule my husband will come back to bed with me.  If you are going to make a change I would do it right now so your toddler does not associate the change with baby and gets used to the new situation.  Good luck!!

Old 05-22-2011, 11:42 PM

We're in this boat now too!  I have a three year old daughter who starts out sleeping in her own bed in her room, and then at some point in the night comes in our bed.  We are planning on having the new baby in a pack n play bassinet next to the bed, at least for a few months before having him sleep in his crib.  I forsee a lot of "musical beds" in our future.  My daughter has a trundle bed so if I need to, I can, or DH can, sleep in her room with her.  Not ideal because he will have to move his cpap in there with him.  The other option would be for me to take the baby in there and sleep in her bed.  Or sleep in the guest bed we set up in our media room (used to be in what is now the baby's room).  I think we are just going to play it flexible and see how things work out, and if they aren't working out, then we can try to make changes as far as getting DD to stay in her bedroom.  So far right now it hasn't been worth it to us to try to do that, though.  But once we have two littles, well, things might change.  I guess we'll see.

Good luck to you!!

Mama to a daughter (3/2008) and a son (7/2011)
Old 05-23-2011, 01:29 AM

I have two children who come to our bed. A few months back we decided to put two queen beds together to have more room. The problem is not my seven year old who comes around 3 and is always with Daddy (she moved there when she was two and her brother was born). My 3 y.o. though is always with me and has no space on Daddy's side. Keeping the baby on one side and my son on the other does not work as I nurse and fall asleep and needless to say I need to nurse on both sides during the night.

I tried to talk to my son but he will say that he can be next to me and I can put the baby on top of him, just so he can stay close. It makes me so sad!

Both my kids have queen beds but they even come to our bed when they are sleeping together.

I just don't know what to do!

Barbara, Mama to Isabel (06/2004), Jake (08/2006-03/2007), Noah (01/2008), and Matteo (07/2011) 
Please always research the safety of vaccines even if your doctor tells you they are harmless! novaxnocirc.gif

Old 05-23-2011, 07:58 AM

Yup, this is us, too. Our 2 1/2 year old DD is in our bed all night long, and has never slept apart from me for a minute. We're just going to wing it and hope for the best. We will attempt using an Arm's Reach co-sleeper for the new LO, which didn't work AT ALL for DD, and then our backup plan will be for me to leave the bed for another bed with new LO if things get too ugly. We've done a lot of practice with DD snuggling with DH instead of me, and I think that will work, for the most part, but we're just going to take it night by night and hope for the best.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:57 AM

What to do with my co-sleeping-since-birth 2 1/2 year old has been the biggest stressor of my pregnancy (well, since I got into my second trimester, and started to cautiously accept that a new baby would be coming in July).

We are two weeks into the big bed tent experiment, and for, knock wood, the past 5 days, my 2 1/2 year old DD, who had never slept apart from me (and had never actually "slept through the night"), has slept in her room in her "big girl tent" all night long.  I still lay with her, rubbing her back until she's asleep, and I always explain that I will be leaving after she's asleep, but if she needs me, just call for me and I'll be there (which I had to do several times in the first 1.5 weeks of the experiment), but I'm hoping this will be a lasting trend. 

So that she didn't feel displaced by the new baby (coming in 6 weeks, again knock wood), and not really imagining how I'd handle her with a newborn (DH has never helped out at nighttime, ever, with my up-till-this-point horrible sleeper--different post about that!) we had put a futon mattress on the floor of her room with the full size bed tent for naps for about a month, to get used to the set up.  Then after discussing with her for several days about sleeping in there at night, I just tried it.  At first, much more tiring for me (having to get up, and go to her room--up a set of stairs) than co-sleeping, esp. having spent, very pregnant, several nights in a tent on a relatively hard futon mattress on the floor that I had to struggle to get in and out of, but I'm hoping and praying to the universe that it sticks.  She's proud of herself, and seems happy, so.... 

Now I wish I could enjoy the few weeks of undisrupted sleep for the first time in years....but, of course, this baby isn't allowing for that already!  Which is fine--why get used to that now. :) 

Mom to D-Dog (4/05), DD (9/08), and expecting a baby boy in July (edd 7/7/11).

Old 05-23-2011, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. I figured our family was not alone in this dilemma wink1.gif

We will have a PNP next to the bed and maybe I'll get lucky and new LO will want to sleep in there after feedings throughout the night. But, that's wishful thinking at best. I didn't bring DS into bed with us until 1 month as he was fine in the PNP, but once I could side nurse, he was in bed. I can easily foresee the same outcome with this LO. I'm the type of mama to take the path of least resistance, plus I like my babies close by.

The prob for me as well is DS is a MY cuddle buddy in bed and definitely likes having me, not DH, near him. However, the last few nights I have placed a pillow under my belly, to assist with major discomfort issues, and I noticed DS stayed closer to DH. So maybe, I can keep a pillow between me and DS so he will be fine with me having my back to him...

It's tough as there are so many unknowns! Will this new LO be fussy, have difficulty going back to sleep after feedings (please lord, bless us these will not be the case wink1.gif), or maybe they will be content sleepers?

I like the option of having another mattress brought into the room. We have a semi comfy futon that could be brought in and would fit in our room and LO and I could move to that if we can't all sleep safely and peacefully(ish).

Then, I can't help thinking...why go through all this trouble when I could just get DS to spend a full night in his room ( may be easier said than done)? Maybe it's just time for him to be a big boy and stay all night by himself? But this makes me a little sad as I don't know if I like the thought of him all alone, maybe not happily, when I'm with new LO.

I agree with PP that this has been one of the most stressful things for me, too. Well, really anything that has to do with how new LO will affect DS. He's such a sensitive guy and he is so attached to mommy.

sleepytime.gif

Old 05-23-2011, 12:34 PM

My just turned 2 DD comes into our bed at some point in the night after starting out in her bed across the hall. Usually one night a week she sleeps all night in there. Up until the last few weeks I've been rocking her to sleep but we've transitioned to me sitting in her room while she falls asleep and she's doing really well with it. I still rock to sleep for naps. She's very touch dependent in general and likes close physical contact so I'm in no hurry to eliminate the rocking completely.

I can definitely say that I'm much more relaxed about sleep this time around with child number 3 on the way. I don't worry so much about her spending all night in her bed because I know she'll do it eventually when she's developmentally ready to sleep all night. As she gets older and is better able to communicate it will get easier with encouraging a new sleep routine. Now that she starts out in her bed, my DH will get up in the night and get her and he has become her cuddle buddy at night. This is especially important since he works such long hours during the day and he's not around to spend a lot of time with them. We have a king size bed so plenty of room for everyone. With three kids, help with night-time parenting is not voluntary anymore.

One thing I know for certain is to go with the flow and everything will work itself out and to just focus on the most necessary things after the baby comes, life is far less stressful that way. Kids are very receptive to changes and can understand when they need to be more flexible about things. My 20 month old quickly lost interest in sleeping in my bed after his sister was born because he valued getting more sleep and didn't like being woken up at night.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

Old 05-23-2011, 12:52 PM

I have a 3 year old who has been in bed with us full time since he was 5 months old.  We have a queen next to a twin on the floor and my husband sleeps on the twin and my 3 year old and I sleep on the queen.  My son used to roll back and forth between me and my husband but now for the most part (at least it seems this way) he sleeps right next to me with his body relaxing into mine (I think he knew I was pregnant before I did because this is when it started). 

We bought him special sheets for the twin bed but haven't gotten there yet (we had been working on night weaning which went better than I thought but then went out the window when he got sick).  I am 34 weeks this Thursday so maybe I should try it this weekend- him on the twin with his new big boy sheets next to daddy and me on the other side of my husband.  That way we can see what happens when daddy comforts him.

Thanks for inspiring me to try it out...if it doesn't work at least I wll know and we can try something else!

I am confident it will all fall into place when the baby comes...with bumps in the road I am sure but we will make it work!

Old 05-23-2011, 01:13 PM

Just to comment on a theme in all these posts....I would have been less stressed about it (and then less proactive to stop the co-sleeping, since I love the cuddle time, and we have plenty of room with the king bed and side-carred crib) if I knew DH would help me in any way at night.  (One example of my stress--whenever DD would wake up crying--from a bad dream, belly ache, etc--I would take her from our room into the guest room and sleep there with her for the rest of the night.  DH has no patience for nighttime disturbances, and he had very reluctantly acquiesced to co-sleeping  this long for the unspoken trade-off that I'd be the one dealing with all nighttime parenting.  Fine arrangement, until I had visions of being in one room dealing with DD, while the new baby woke up in my bedroom with DH crying to nurse.....).

Anyway, didn't I say that's for a different post?!  I just wanted to say that if OP or anyone in same boat has a helpful and understanding nighttime partner, then I think the transition will be much smoother.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:54 PM

melinstar, yes, I agree.  Having the partner on board is important in making things easier!  I think my DH is much more supportive now that DD wakes once and comes in our bed and goes straight back to sleep.  He wasn't so supportive when I would bring her in bed and she would wake me up to nurse every hour to hour and a half!  Or when she would cry and fuss and thrash around and not go back to sleep.  It has been a long journey for us to get to this place, and he finally enjoys co-sleeping with her, I think.  He likes cuddling with her, and seeing her first thing in the morning.  It's just going to be harder to balance the needs of two once the baby is here.

Maybe for the OP, having a "special bed" on the floor in your room would help, ala Dr. Sears family.  I've been thinking maybe it's what we will try if it gets to be too much for all 4 of us to be in the big bed.  So maybe we'll get a special sleeping bag she can unroll and be "quiet as a mouse" and not wake us if she wants to come in and sleep in the same room.  I guess we'd just have to see how that will fly.  However, she slept all night in her own bed last night! 

oh, and what's a bed tent? maybe I need one of those for my DD.  I think she's on the cusp of staying asleep all night.  She did last night.  I was thinking of getting one of those cutesy girl canopies to hang over her bed to make it more enticing.  I don't know.  Keep the ideas coming, people!!!

Old 05-23-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzeps View Post

oh, and what's a bed tent? maybe I need one of those for my DD.  I think she's on the cusp of staying asleep all night.  She did last night.  I was thinking of getting one of those cutesy girl canopies to hang over her bed to make it more enticing.  I don't know.  Keep the ideas coming, people!!!

I just happened upon the idea of a bed tent (by Gigatent) when internet searching for ideas to entice DD into her own bed (she loves playhouses, blanket forts, and our backyard ball pit tent, so I was hoping this would be a winning idea). A friend was asking the same thing to possibly try with her co-sleeping 3 year old, so I snapped a photo to email her the other day (don't mind the empty looking bedroom--I toddler proofed it now that she's free to roam in there).  I did a google search to find the best price.  Perhaps this could go in parents' room on the floor for an extra sleeping space for older child, if he/she's not ready to be on his/her own.  (I just brought it on vacation, too, to help with naps---folded up great in the suitcase.)  The tent, along with the Sleepy B turtle and a mini lantern for book reading, have made for a cozy, contained environment.  Let me knock wood again.... 

http://www.gigatent.com/itemlist.asp?cat=Kids+play+tents 

bed tent.jpg

Old 05-23-2011, 05:50 PM

We're in the same boat although DS sleeps on his own bed at the side of our bed.  I think I'm mostly worried about our new LO waking DS up at night, and where to setup our Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper because the entire space next to my side of the bed is DS's bed and I'm not sure if DH will be into trading me sides.  DH thinks that DS should be in his own room already, but he only seems to think that about a quarter of the time...The rest of the time he has no issues with DS being in with us.  Anyway...I'm also worried that DS is going to start to wake at night again once new LO and my milk are here...but like the pp's...that's another topic all together.  Good luck to everyone!

ahhh to be able to think well enough to create a clever signature.sleeping.gif someday i will have enough sleep to accomplish this task...

Janae, mama to X (1/09) & X (7/11) and wife to J (since 9/96!)  Homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby (and toddler) wearing, co-sleeping, lactivist, intactivist. luxlove.gif

Old 05-23-2011, 09:12 PM

Glad to find this thread we are in the same boat. I figure that we will cross this bridge when we come to it and see what the new baby is like. You never know, maybe she will sleep through the night in the cosleeper?! :) Yeah right.... I like the bed tent and tres tria ideas, I will keep those in mind as possible solutions when the time comes.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:21 PM

I have a 7 year old LOL. The first of my children to last that long in bed with me. I bought a tres tria- it was the last one they had- they are out of production until they source a new rubber source. I think it's going to work great though (for the baby- not the 7 year old).

Old 07-13-2011, 06:33 AM

Junobella has your baby arrived yet? If so please let us know what you find regarding sleeping arrangements. Our bed is very crowded with all 4 of us in it. Here is our arrangment:

3 yo ** dad ** me ** newborn

This works for now but will not work once baby is able to move and roll off. The Tres Tria is a good idea but we don't have room in our bed for it! My only idea is that after both my husband and I lose some pregnancy weight that there will be room for the tres tria pillow.

Any other ideas?

Old 07-13-2011, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

nope, no baby yet. I'm due the 17th. We have, however, made some progress with having DS stay longer in his own room. A few weeks ago he just started sleeping really poorly in our bed. I'm sure it's due to me getting up so much to use the bathroom and tossing and turning. The disturbances aren't going to end once baby is here. So, we decided to go in his room like usual when he wakes up that 1st time around 1ish and rock him for a few min and put him back in his crib. The 1st two nights were flawless. We think he probably just didn't even realize what was happening. It was definitely too good to be true.

Once he caught on, it took a little more rocking and sometimes he wakes up when we try to place him back in his crib. If he does, we usually can convince him to lay down and we'll rub his back( the whole process takes 5-10 min). This works about 80% of the time. If it works he'll go back to sleep from anywhere to a few hours or all the way till the a.m. If it doesn't work, we bring him in bed. I feel like it's a good start and it's nice to have him sleeping longer in his room. He's just a much happier kiddo with a good night sleep and I don't want the baby to disturb him, which will contribute to a cranky toddler, which will contribute to my nerves being challenged when I'm already giong to be sleep deprived!!!!!

Luckily I have a very supportive DH who will take over the night wakings of DS when baby is here. I'm glad we started it now rather than when baby is here so he doesn't resent the baby.

Anyone else make changes or deal with this and have the baby already??

Old 07-14-2011, 12:52 PM

I still co-sleep with my 4yo and 7yo and my baby is due at the end of the month. I don't plan to make any big effort to move either one of my bigger boys to their own rooms. Our big issue is that everyone wants to sleep next to me, which isn't possible. I will have to have the baby next to me on one side of the bed with a bedrail and my older boys on the other side of the bed. Not sure how we'll work that out yet. Either I can convince my 7yo to be the big guy and sleep on the end or we'll try taking turns.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 07-14-2011, 02:10 PM

I'm the one, who about 6 weeks pre-baby, got my until-then co-sleeping 2.75 year old to sleep by herself in her room in her bed tent.  It worked for 4 glorious weeks.  Even worked on a 3 day vacation in a two-room hotel room, for both naps and nighttime.  Two weeks before baby was born, getting DD to go to sleep in her big girl tent became harder and harder, and when I did get her to fall asleep there, it was only an hour or two before she was out of her room, calling for me.  After about a week of responding, putting her back into her bed, and then again several times over the night, I gave up.  My 9 month pregnant body needed sleep.  DD also decided at that exact same time that she no longer needed to nap.

So, fast forward to 6 days home with week old DS (born 7/6--haven't made any announcement in the DDC--this is my first visit back in a while).  DS is sleeping on my left (next to, but not in side-carred crib), DD on my other side, in the middle between DH and me.  She moves around so much, has been having bad dreams, and I really can't move DS to nurse on the other side of me.  DH not getting much sleep either, as DD either snuggles up to one of us, but also then becomes perpendicular and kicks. 

I just ordered from amazon Pantley's No-Cry Sleep Solution for Preschoolers.  Maybe an idea or two will work.  I don't want to fight with her every night to get her to sleep in her own room, and I don't want to--and really can't--respond to her all night, but it's just too crowded in bed. I may try her own mattress on the floor of our room, although i highly doubt the effort will be worth it, as I doubt she'll stay on her own mattress.

Any tips from mamas here appreciated.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:02 PM

melinstar ~ Obviously, I'm not one to push my kids to sleep by themselves if they really don't want to since I'm still co-sleeping with my 4 and 7 year olds. When dh and I first started co-sleeping with ds2 (our now 7yo), dh felt cramped in our queen bed. We got a twin mattress that we knew we'd need eventually for the boy and put it next to our queen. That gave us plenty of room and all the beds were at the same hieght and right next to each other so no one felt s/he was alone. Not sure if that helps but maybe it will. When I was pg with ds3 we bought a king sized bed that the 4 of us have been sleeping in relatively comfortably. I had a bedrail on the side of the bed where ds3 slept as a baby.

My dh is deployed right now and I'm not sure what we'll do when he gets home. I'm sure there won't be room in our king sized bed for 5 of us. I'm hoping that dh will be able to get the older boys to sleep in their room with him, at least at first. Then baby and I can sleep in our bed and maybe dh can move back eventually.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 07-20-2011, 05:10 PM

Hey everybody,

So we are sleeping separately at the moment - the baby and I are in our room, in the king, and DH and DD are in her room, he's sleeping on her trundle bed.  Basically, he goes to bed when she does, lucky dog.  So I am sole nighttime duty for baby boy.  I get kinda lonely.  It's not ideal.  This morning, DH put the trundle away and said he wanted to sleep in our room tonight.  I also have a pack-n-play for the baby, but I've just had him in our bed since there is so much room with just the two of us.  I also have a bedrail that it looks like I should think about re-installing, in the event that I need baby boy on the outside edge so DD can join us in the middle.  Sigh.  I'm tired just thinking about it.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzeps View Post

DH and DD are in her room, he's sleeping on her trundle bed.  Basically, he goes to bed when she does, lucky dog.  So I am sole nighttime duty for baby boy.  I get kinda lonely.

This is how it is for us when my dh puts our kids to bed. He falls asleep immediately and stays there. Even when we both laid down with the boys in their room my dh would crash and not wake up while I'd not be able to fall asleep and end up going into our bed by myself. That was a big reason why I quit bothering with that. The whole point in having the boys sleep in their room was so that dh and I could have some private time. If that wasn't going to happen, there was no point in all the extra work and my lost sleep. At least when dh gets home I won't be very interested in private time since I'll have the new baby so it won't matter so much if he sleeps with the boys in another room.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:55 AM

I have a week old baby and a bed sharing 3 year old.  Right now the baby and i are sleeping in the living room on the couch and are about to get a twin mattress to put on the floor of bedroom #2 in lieu of the couch.  My husband has been sleeping with my 3 year old ( I nurse a little to bed and then if he is not asleep my husband snuggles him to sleep), however my son misses me tremendously in bed crying out several times throughout the night "i want mommy."  I can hear this from the living room (we are in a small 1000 sq ft condo) and it breaks my heart but usually i am either nursing the newborn or too tired to be able to respond.  I did go in last night and he fell back to sleep quickly while i snuggled with him.  

I have tried bringing baby into the bedroom for us all to sleep together but am worried her sounds will wake my not so great sleeper 3 yr old ( we have a queen next to twin on floor so there is enough room for all of us and my son is on the twin with hubby next to him and me on the end).  I also have terrible night time vision and am not able to latch her in bed in the dark ( when my 3 yr old was born we slept with a light on and my husband wore an eye mask).  Finally i am also worried about nighttime parenting burnout leaving me very tired and cranky during the day.  

If any one has any suggestions i would appreciate them.  Does it make sense to just leave my husband in the bedroom with my 3 year old and sleep separately from them for a month or two until the newborn starts giving me a longer stretch at night?  Any experience with the newborn waking or not waking an older child by crying/grunting/groaning?  

I am thinking of trying to sleep in the bedroom tonight to see what will happen...maybe things will work out better than expected...

Thanks!

Old 07-21-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightswimming View Post

If any one has any suggestions i would appreciate them.  Does it make sense to just leave my husband in the bedroom with my 3 year old and sleep separately from them for a month or two until the newborn starts giving me a longer stretch at night?  Any experience with the newborn waking or not waking an older child by crying/grunting/groaning?  

I am thinking of trying to sleep in the bedroom tonight to see what will happen...maybe things will work out better than expected...

Thanks!

I was going to ask why you all don't sleep in the bedroom. I couldn't leave my young child crying for me in another room even with Daddy with him. That's what happened a few times when my dh tried getting our youngest back to sleep when he woke in his own room. My dh would try to keep him in there even though he was crying for me. I couldn't take it and would eventually get up and get the boy. I felt bad for my dh because I think he really wanted to be able to comfort ds but it just wasn't working. It's not my dh's fault but he's gone a lot so the kids are very attached to only me.

Obviously, you can't know if the baby will wake your older child until you try sleeping together. Sounds like he's waking during the night anyway. Who knows? Maybe he get woken but be fine when he sees that you are all still there and go back to sleep peacefully. I slept with my 3.5yo and my newborn in the same bed and the baby didn't wake my older child. My older child was actually very understanding about me having to take care of the baby. For example, when we went to bed I would ask my 3yo if he wanted me to read him a story first or nurse the baby first, he always said I could nurse the baby first and he would wait.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:56 AM

I followed my gut and we all had a great night sleep.  Thanks for responding Marine Wife and it turned out exactly the way you thought it would.  First of all my husband had work to do when he got home from work last night so I successfully attempted to put my 3 year old to sleep all by myself with the baby in there too and it worked which was a huge shock.  I nursed my 3 year old for about 5-6 minutes and then said I could snuggle him to sleep ...I rolled over and latched the baby who was hungry and he snuggled with my back and actually fell asleep with about 10 minutes of snuggle time which was amazing because he took an hour and 15 minute nap yesterday and usually when he naps at all it takes him over an hour to fall asleep at night.

Then the baby nursed from about 8-10:15pm (think she is preparing for a growth spurt) and when she went to sleep I brought her into bed.  I had a little flashlight to help with latching throughout the night.  About midnight my 3 year old woke and I said " mommy is right here...close your eyes and go back to sleep" and he did.  Around 1am the baby woke up to eat and I brought her out to my rocking chair.  After eating a little, she slept again until about 4:15am when I brought her out to nurse again and she nursed while she slept.  We went back to sleep and she started pooping (she stores in up and seems to poop 1-2 times a day all at once) so I got up to change her and we were back in bed at 5:30am where she slept until 7:30am and my 3 year old slept until 7am.  The 3 year old had the most restful night sleep that he has had all week and when he woke up all he needed was the sound of my voice to get him back to sleep.  He did not wake up from the baby noises at all.  My husband slept better too even though he had less space because he was less interrupted by the 3 year old.  And I got a lot of sleep for having a week old because she was warm and cozy in bed next to me and so she slept well.  It was a win win win for all of us!

I am sure we will have bad nights moving forward but I know that is normal.  If this works out most of the time as good as it did last night we are in good shape.  And I feel so much better about being able to comfort my 3 year old and not leave him in the bedroom without me- I really was feeling absolutely horrible and torn about it and he obviously sleeps better knowing I am in the room too.  And a bed beats the couch any day!

Thanks again for your support...I really am appreciative.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightswimming View Post

I followed my gut and we all had a great night sleep.

I'm so glad it worked and you all got some good sleep.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:45 PM

We spent our first night in bed with the new baby last night. Everything went very well. My 7yo stepped up and didn't have any problem sleeping on the other end of the bed not next to me. It was perfect.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

We spent our first night in bed with the new baby last night. Everything went very well. My 7yo stepped up and didn't have any problem sleeping on the other end of the bed not next to me. It was perfect.

Yeah!  Glad everything went smoothly.  Things are still working well for us too. 

User Tag List