How many times a night do you get up to go to the bathroom? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 05-25-2011, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I was getting up 4 or 5 times a night (about every 2 hours), but the last few nights I've been getting up about 8 times (every hour). This seems excessive, but this is my first baby, so I don't know. I've been drinking cranberry juice and taking cranberry tablets to prevent UTI's. I don't drink anything at night either. Is this normal? 

#2 of 23 Old 05-25-2011, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Normal. Sucks, but normal. The good news is it won't be like that every night. Those nights get bad for me because I'm thirsty when I wake up...self perpetuating cycle! But after a bad few nights, I've back to two or three wake-ups. One night this week was only once before 5:am!!

It's practice for the first few weeks of newborn. I know everyone says it, but they say it because it's true. Hang in there! And nap when you can!!
#3 of 23 Old 05-25-2011, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

before I got pregnant I was up about 2 times a night to pee, now it's 4+ usually, and yeah, about 1 an hour on the worst nights

#4 of 23 Old 05-26-2011, 04:59 AM

Argh! Serves me right for bragging on a good night. Last night was rough and I didn't even drink!
#5 of 23 Old 05-26-2011, 06:11 AM

I get up once a night max.  Sometimes I don't get up at all.  I drink 2 liters of water a day plus about 24 oz of milk.  I try not to drink after dinner though.  If I do, that will be the night I have to wake up to pee.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#6 of 23 Old 05-26-2011, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I get up around 2-3 times a night. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Pretty much I get up when I wake up. So if I sleep soundly I might get up only 1x a night (and almost pee myself) If I am up and down I am peeing all night long.

hippie.gifborn in the wrong era. Madly in love with my DH. Mama to my Beatles boys; L (6) and H (2). 
#7 of 23 Old 05-26-2011, 07:18 AM

3 or 4 on a good night. 10+ on a bad night.

Crystal

mom to two boys (9/19/98) (8/24/03) and soon to be # 3 (7/2/11)

#8 of 23 Old 05-26-2011, 08:33 AM

0-1 on nights that I have to get up to work in the morning (I get up at 4 a.m. so not much time is spent actually in bed).

1-2 on nights that I don't have to be up early. 

I'm SO happy that tonight is a "1-2" kind of night!  Sorry that some of you get up so often.  I'm sure my trips will increase, but 10 times a night?  That is rough. 

ahhh to be able to think well enough to create a clever signature.sleeping.gif someday i will have enough sleep to accomplish this task...

Janae, mama to X (1/09) & X (7/11) and wife to J (since 9/96!)  Homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby (and toddler) wearing, co-sleeping, lactivist, intactivist. luxlove.gif

#9 of 23 Old 05-26-2011, 08:40 AM

I only get up once a night (so far, knock on wood) but with DD1 I was up 3-4 times a night at this stage!  I think it has to do with how the baby is lying too, and sleeping position. I usually don't notice I have to pee until I roll over or shift around.  

Charlotte, mommy to Maggie (July 15th 2008) and Una (July 19th 2011)!
#10 of 23 Old 05-26-2011, 09:52 AM

1-3 depending on how much water I drink before bed. It's hard not to drink too much before sleeping because the afternoons/eves are the warmest here so I get more thirsty. But I've somewhat mastered sleepwalking, I think. I used to be up much longer after going to the bathroom, now I barely remember getting up and seem to fall asleep relatively quick again. Still tossing and turning like crazy but actually sorta getting used to it! (And I just got a fan, so sleeping much better anyway!!!)

Mama to boy born 7/18/11 and another on the way in November '13  Rainbow.gif

#11 of 23 Old 05-27-2011, 02:22 AM

Meh spoke too soon in the above post. Here I am 3 am can't sleep after a little trip to the baño. Jinx'd myself!

Mama to boy born 7/18/11 and another on the way in November '13  Rainbow.gif

#12 of 23 Old 06-02-2011, 05:04 AM

I get up at least every 2 hours, sometimes more often. I get up 2-3 times a night when I'm not pg, too. I also have to pee just as often if not more when I'm awake. I have always been like that. When I was in high school my stepsis called me TB for tiny bladder because I had to pee so often. It is very bothersome, especially now that it's getting harder and harder to get in and out of bed. I wish I could just sleep.

I try not to drink too much at night but I get very thirsty. Plus, I have to sleep with my mouth open because my nose is so stuffed up. I wake up with a very dry mouth. I take just a tiny sip of water to wet my mouth so I wouldn't think that would contribute to how often I have to get up to pee but maybe it does.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#13 of 23 Old 06-02-2011, 07:13 AM

Since I posted on this thread last, I've been getting up once a night minimum every night.  Two nights ago I was up 3 times!  Totally jinxed myself! duh.gif

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#14 of 23 Old 06-02-2011, 08:29 AM

For me it varies...2-3 times on a good night and 6-7 times on a bad night!  And yes I feel the difference in the morning. 

#15 of 23 Old 06-02-2011, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
I try not to drink too much at night but I get very thirsty. Plus, I have to sleep with my mouth open because my nose is so stuffed up. I wake up with a very dry mouth. I take just a tiny sip of water to wet my mouth so I wouldn't think that would contribute to how often I have to get up to pee but maybe it does.

I have that problem too, but instead of drinking at night, I just use mouthwash (Biotene for dry mouth) when I go to the bathroom so that I don't have to drink anything else. 

#16 of 23 Old 06-03-2011, 02:41 AM

At least 1-2 times, sometimes more like 4-5 times.  That's probably my max.  Depends largely on how often our "baby" (16 months) wakes up since I have to go to the bathroom every time he wakes me up.  But during the day, ugh, I have to go every 30-45 min.  It's kind of ridiculous.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#17 of 23 Old 06-03-2011, 05:21 AM

Don't you love when you really really really have to pee and then a dribble comes out?  Then 20 minutes later you have to go again?

Lisa, Mama to two 2-26-09 and 6-15-11

"Hey baby, do you like trains?"

#18 of 23 Old 06-03-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelylisa View Post

Don't you love when you really really really have to pee and then a dribble comes out?  Then 20 minutes later you have to go again?

Yes!  One thing I remember from last time is that I was so amazed at how big my bladder was and how much it could hold as soon as I gave birth!

#19 of 23 Old 06-03-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightswimming View Post

Yes!  One thing I remember from last time is that I was so amazed at how big my bladder was and how much it could hold as soon as I gave birth!

LOL!  So with DS we took the hospital birth class and the instructor showed us a diagram of not-pregnant vs. pregnant internal organs.  Without fail, someone always referred to the bladder as "the poor little bladder" when she was having us ID where the organs were in a full-term belly (she said that happened in every class).  It was so teeny and squashed you just felt sad for it.  ;-)  That moment has always stayed in my mind...esp as I rush to the bathroom to pee a tablespoon or so.  :P 

And...only once last night!  YAY!!!  Well, maybe twice, but the 2nd time was after 5:am, so hardly counts.  I always pee then.  After a couple of bad nights, I tend to have a good night or two.  Helps keep me sane.

#20 of 23 Old 06-07-2011, 05:18 AM

I'm in for 2-3 times/night!  Almost like clockwork!

Mrs B

#21 of 23 Old 06-07-2011, 07:20 AM

I'm really looking forward to having that one big pee after I have the baby.  Where you realize that your bladder can hold more than a thimbles worth of urine at a time.  LOL.  It's such a relief.

And yes, this officially makes me creepy.  lol.gif

Momofplenty likes this.

#22 of 23 Old 06-07-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanHippie View Post

I'm really looking forward to having that one big pee after I have the baby.  Where you realize that your bladder can hold more than a thimbles worth of urine at a time.  LOL.  It's such a relief.

And yes, this officially makes me creepy.  lol.gif

Naw...creepy is being jealous of other people's peeing in the restroom.  ;-) 

SuburbanHippie likes this.
#23 of 23 Old 06-07-2011, 12:24 PM

I have this bad habit of not drinking enough during the day & drinking a lot at night.  I get up about 3-4X at least.  I hate it.  I just want to sleep!!!

Plus almost everytime I stand up I feel like I have to pee whether I really do or not.

Momofplenty likes this.

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."- Albert Einstein

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page