Mucus Plug - TMI - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-30-2011, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello ladies,

I'm due July 7 but today when I went to the bathroom I noticed something brownish (dried) on my panty.  I freaked out and wiped to see if anything else would come out but it was all dried.

So, I still have quite a few weeks to go and....yeah I'm TOTALLY FREAKED OUT about this!  This is my second pregnancy and I don't recall having it before, so has anyone else had this happened recently that is due in July?  Is this the mucus plug??

I called my mw and she said not to worry but I can't help it :(

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2011, 09:49 PM

I don't know what it is dear, I'm sorry you're worried.

I can tell you that from what you described, it doesn't sound like your mucus plug. The mucus plug kind of looks like a big gross booger. (for lack of a non gross description)

Lisa, Mama to two 2-26-09 and 6-15-11

"Hey baby, do you like trains?"

Old 05-31-2011, 01:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have the same due date as you, July 7th. I am also freaking out and think I may have lost part of my mucous plug today. It never happened with my first so I'm unsure. Ugh. Stressed out. I know I'm tired of being pregnant, but don't want my little guy coming out too soon. Hang in there!

Old 05-31-2011, 05:42 AM

The timing of the mucus plug doesn't mean much really.  I wouldn't worry about it, but just keep an eye out to see if anymore comes out or if that was actually what it was.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

Old 05-31-2011, 08:53 AM

Ditto SuburbanHippie.  While it doesn't sound like mucous plug exactly, if that's what it was it's totally not a big deal.  I've been intermittently losing little chunks (boogery blobs) of mine here and there for the past 12 weeks.  The mucus plug regenerates as necessary.

ahhh to be able to think well enough to create a clever signature.sleeping.gif someday i will have enough sleep to accomplish this task...

Janae, mama to X (1/09) & X (7/11) and wife to J (since 9/96!)  Homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby (and toddler) wearing, co-sleeping, lactivist, intactivist. luxlove.gif

Old 05-31-2011, 08:57 AM

Just want to add that last time it was a full 2 weeks between loosing much of my mucous plug and labor began.  And it sounds like yours was not anywhere close to the whole thing.  The timing in between loosing your mucous plug and going into labor varies widely I believe.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:26 AM

I've had two days of quite a bit of mucous in the last week. It can come out in pieces over the course of a few weeks.

When I lost it with my last one, it was pretty much all at once and labor started within a few days. But I think when it comes out gradually it's not as indicative of labor starting.

Crystal

mom to two boys (9/19/98) (8/24/03) and soon to be # 3 (7/2/11)

Old 05-31-2011, 11:48 AM

Loss of mucus plug has never really been a determinant for labor with me. With my first, I didn't lose any mucus until I was in full-blown labor and it was orange-ish in color and stringy. With my second I had loss of mucus plug for weeks leading up to labor and one night of bloody show. The morning of the day I did eventually go into labor, I didn't have any mucus plug left but I had bloody show again when I woke up and that was it. I've never lost it in a solid piece.

Sometimes capillaries in your cervix can break if you're starting to efface or you've had sex and that could have caused it, but not necessarily a determinant for when labor will begin. As previously mentioned, it regenerates itself.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

Old 06-03-2011, 12:28 PM

The dried stuff you found, did it look like the last day of your period kind of stuff? I had bleeding of different severity in all of my previous pregnancies and I think some of it came from straining in the bathroom. I had only one good mucous plug in the last 3 pregnancies and that looked like a clear jelly piece with some bloody streaks in it about the size of the top part of my pinky finger. 

Did you see it again or was it a one time thing?

Barbara, Mama to Isabel (06/2004), Jake (08/2006-03/2007), Noah (01/2008), and Matteo (07/2011) 
Please always research the safety of vaccines even if your doctor tells you they are harmless! novaxnocirc.gif

Old 06-03-2011, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Gismobabe,

Yes, the bleeding looked like it was the last day of your period.  I actually had to go to my family doctor because of an ear infection (now that's another story) that I got from a bad cold and I mentioned it to her, which reminded me that it had started after going for an ultrasound a few days earlier, in which they had to do an internal exam, to see the location of the placenta, as the baby's head was on the way and they wanted to make sure it wasn't too close to the cervix. 

This is when she told me that sometimes if they are a bit rough it could cause some bleeding. I saw the bleeding twice.  Thank goodness for her answer as I now believe that's what it was...yeah when I mentioned I thought it might be mucus plug she explained to me that it would be clear and lots.  So, I definitely know that it wasn't my mucus plug.

I'm 35 weeks now and I hope that I don't have any more bleeding.  I'm going for my strep b test next Tuesday, but since that's a quick exam I'm not expecting to bleed.

Thanks ladies for all your responses.

User Tag List