Mothering Forum banner

Stupid comments from strangers

1K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  RollerCoasterMama 
#1 ·
Surely, I can't be the only one getting (and being annoyed by) dumb comments from strangers, right?

So far this week, I've already had three encounters where people have asked if I'm sure I have two more months to go (Um...yeah, pretty sure!), whether I'm having twins (No!), etc. Oh, and one lady randomly came up to me at the pool and told me that she felt sorry for me and hoped I would "make it through" the summer...because my other options are what, exactly?

Ah, and of course, anytime I say I'm having another boy, I get something along the lines of, "Oh, are you disappointed?" or "Aww, don't worry, you'll get a girl someday."

What weird things have people said to you?

#2 ·
I had a client ask me if I was excited to have this baby....Um yeah. It was almost like do you want it? In the same day I had another client give me advice on how to take a poop post partum.

Crazy! Both were on the same day within hours of each other and before 9 am. I knew it was going to be a strange day.

#3 ·
My situation is a little different but extreeemely annoying nonetheless. I get stared at every single time I leave the house. Stared at. Like gawking, stopping at watching me walk by, their heads follow me until I'm out of sight. No exaggeration.

I get that I'm in another country where foreigners stick out but c'mon! It's never been this bad before. Antigua is like the most touristy city in this country and there are plenty of other "gringos" to notice... I must admit it is probably "interesting" to see a hugely pregnant foreign gal with two arms of tattoos walking with her baby-faced baby-daddy but still... it's sooo annoying. I've started to, what I call, "chest puff" at people (which I partly feel bad about). It's making me angry. I try to look at no one these days because watching people gawk and stare at me makes me so incredibly mad.

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianBlesing View Post
In the same day I had another client give me advice on how to take a poop post partum.
lol.gif
That is hilarious! That being said I remember being paranoid to poop after birth. LOL.

I haven't had any stupid comments lately. Maybe I give off a "don't you dare speak to me" vibe?
winky.gif
A couple elderly women did ask me today if I was in labor because I was going to the 4th floor (L&D). I chuckled and said no (I was there for my biweekly NST). They asked me if I was having a boy or a girl and I told them we're going to be surprised. Elderly people LOVE this. They were so excited to hear that I was going to do it "their" way. So cute.

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanHippie View Post

They asked me if I was having a boy or a girl and I told them we're going to be surprised. Elderly people LOVE this. They were so excited to hear that I was going to do it "their" way. So cute.
That's how a lot of women here are, too, and especially my mother-in-law :) They love that we don't know the baby's gender yet. And that I'm using a MW, since they expect foreign women like myself to use a doctor and go to a hospital.

#6 ·
I just got the third degree from a second-grader at a restaurant where I was picking up a to-go order. She made it very clear from her disapproving expression that she thought I was woefully unprepared for pregnancy/baby: "Are you having a baby. Is it a boy or a girl? Can you eat spicy food? Can you eat habanero sauce? No you can't because it's spicy and then the baby will come out." hahaaa, it was really silly.

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayakas View Post

I just got the third degree from a second-grader at a restaurant where I was picking up a to-go order. She made it very clear from her disapproving expression that she thought I was woefully unprepared for pregnancy/baby: "Are you having a baby. Is it a boy or a girl? Can you eat spicy food? Can you eat habanero sauce? No you can't because it's spicy and then the baby will come out." hahaaa, it was really silly.
LOL! Pregnant women just can't go anywhere anymore- even the 2nd graders are watching us.

#8 ·
The other day my sister and I were walking into Starbucks. There was a couple sitting at one of the tables out front watching us walking toward the building. Anyway, as we got closer to the door I start hearing "Boy or girl? Boy or girl? Boy or girl?" They didn't try to get my attention first so I ignored them, my sister said "I think they're talking to you..." I was like I know, but come on...Just starting to shout out "Boy or girl" at me is totally weird. When we got inside someone said "OOooh you're so tiny!" and the next day at work on of the managers said "You due any day now?" I said "Nope, 8 more weeks." which had him totally taken aback and embarrassed.

I've also got the "Oh you poor thing due in the middle of summer!" comment. I always assure them that I will survive the heat just as I do every year.

#9 ·
I have gotten tons of the "are you sure there is only one in there comments" but I guess I prefer them to the "are you pregnant?" questions two months after the birth!

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourist. View Post

I've also got the "Oh you poor thing due in the middle of summer!" comment. I always assure them that I will survive the heat just as I do every year.
Having now 5 summer babies, I've heard that one a lot too. Someone said it to me the other day and then in the next sentence said "At least you'll be done in early July." I'm due 7/20.
shrug.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gismobabe View Post

I have gotten tons of the "are you sure there is only one in there comments" but I guess I prefer them to the "are you pregnant?" questions two months after the birth!
spitdrink.gif
OMG! So true! Nothing makes me want to strangle someone more than hearing this come out of someone's mouth. After my first baby, my exH actually said "Wow, you still look really pregnant." I cried for 2 hours. He's an exH for a reason, you see.

#11 ·
I get the "you must be in the final stretch" or "any day now?" or any other variation of "omg, you're figgin huge, you look ready to pop!" I just smile and say I have a few more weeks to go. But here's the thing that's really getting me. Everyone asks if it's a boy or a girl, and I say boy (we have 3 girls) and they are just all over joyed and say "oh you must be so happy", or "you finally got your boy" etc etc. I find it soooo annoying. We would have been perfectly happy with another girl, even preferred it since we have all girl clothes and stuff and people just assume we were going to keep trying until we had a boy. Like your family can't be complete unless you have both genders. I don't know why but it really really bugs me.

#12 ·
I've been getting alot of the comments mentioned above, along with a very annoying "you already have TWO kids?!" comment. Usually coupled with something along the lines of "this is your last then, right?!". So rude, especially from people who do not even know me or my family.
angry.gif

I was really waiting for someone to say it during the week of the "rapture" so I could reply with: "Well, we figured the 'rapture' would take care of a good portion of the population so we could continue just breeding until our parts wore out. There'd definentally be more space for us hellions to run rampant".
FIREdevil.gif

On a cuter note, at a birthday party today a little 9 yr old girl made the guess-ta-mate that we'd be having another girl, then proceeded to count the wrinkles on the backsides of both my curled-up firsts. She counted 4 and informed me we'd have 4 children, and then suggested that this baby might be twins.
upsidedown.gif

#13 ·
A few people said "I didn't realize you were pregnant" (maybe after I stopped wearing baggy winter clothes). And a waitress at the Thai Rest. we frequent didn't know I was pregnant even though she was looking right at me. There is no mistaking that I am pregnant. Actually I get a lot of nice comments from old ladies. They seem to love to reminisce about being pregnant.

With DS a painter we were hiring said "you mean you're going to get bigger?" at 7 mths. I am 5'1" so I probably look like an oompa loompa but still......

My friend (also petite) had a co-worker tell her she was as big as a whale.

#14 ·
I'm almost on the exact opposite of some of the mamas here. I am 4'10, somewhere b/t 30-32 wks and ONLY when I'm EXHAUSTED to I stick out! When I'm fresh in the morning, I get a lot of "Your 7 months preggo? WHERE?"

My husband loves it! Now granted, I FEEL like a whale...but he's measuring small (Thank you!) and I'm ok with that!

Mrs B

#15 ·
How about just a stupid comment from a non-stranger? My totally clueless coworker (although he thinks he's so clued in) actually said that he feels bad for his long term "fiancee" because she won't ever get to take maternity leave because they're never having children. Proof positive that he has no idea what it means to have a child. This is the same guy that said he didn't see any reason, ever, for a woman to breastfeed in public. He said that while he was sitting with me, 7 months pregnant, knowing that I nursed my son for 2+ years. Imbecile.

#16 ·
Tourist, that is hilarious about the ppl shouting boy or girl at you!

Let's see, the worst comment from a stranger was from a worker at Belk's who is pregnant and due two days before me. In the 7th month i was shopping and she noticed i was pregnant and told me she was too. When I told her my due date she was shocked and said i was huge and asked was i having twins, i said no. then she asked did i have GD cuz my baby was huge. i said NO! she had kids before and this is my first. of course now i am a lot bigger and will get bigger but come on people, have some tact! today i had my 33 week check up and she is measuring 36 weeks. somehow i have managed to lose 5 lbs since the last visit despite my growing belly.

#19 ·
This isn't really stupid either, just wierd. In the past 24 hrs I've had "Oh wow, you look really uncomfortable!" (I wasn't.) And also someone thinking my due-date is in September (vs. a couple of weeks from now). Now, the uncomfortable one...some days I am, but yesterday wasn't one of those days! I may have been waddling a bit. :p And I was on my way to the restroom so maybe baby was punching my bladder and it affected my walk. But it just struck me as funny to get both comments in 24 hrs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.