Got my birth kit today- still debating whether or not to get a birth tub- anyone love the one they have used? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-07-2011, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've had 4 waterbirths- all in a home tub because my tubs were nice and large oval shaped. This time my tub is very deep but rectangular- it's long but not that wide (although I am fine in it) so I am debating whether to buy a birth pool- whole setup with pump and water removal pump if I went with a la bassine would still cost 300 or so and as this is my 6th baby and I'm nearing 45 I doubt I'll be having another one down the road (you never know though). I like the other various tub options as well although they are more money. So if you have used a tub, please tell me pros/cons? It's so simple with a regular tub because there's no clean up- just pop the drain up. My midwife thinks my tub is just fine but the waterbirth tubs look all nice and cushy.

#2 of 11 Old 06-08-2011, 06:14 AM

I've used an aquadoula and a la bassine. I liked both just fine. I'd say I prefer the la bassine because the sides are wider and the bottom is cushioned. I'm using a la bassine again this time. I didn't do clean up with either of them, the first was a hospital birth so maintenance drained it with a water pump. The second time my midwife and her assistant had a water pump as well and drained it into the bathtub before removing the liner and emptying it the rest of the way.

My bathroom tub is way too narrow and shallow for me to comfortable move about and get enough depth over my belly. My last labor was so fast that the pool stayed hot the entire time, it took less than 5 minutes to inflate with an electric pump as well. I set it all up by myself while in labor if that's any indication of how easy it is.

If you're looking for a cheaper alternative, a lot of people use this tub for births: http://www.amazon.com/Swim-Center-Ocean-Reef-Pool/dp/B00005OARQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1307538311&sr=8-4

I've also seen the birth pool in a box for $180 online and it includes the liner.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#3 of 11 Old 06-08-2011, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I don't need the liner therefore La Bassine cheaper at 125 but when I add the fllor cover, pumps, drain and all the other accessories it comes out to 306- guess I might splurge. The aquadoula while heated it not cushy, my MW does have a fishy pool but I'm not sure I like it!

#4 of 11 Old 06-08-2011, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Just found a deal from Waterbirth Solutions.com- Birth Pool in a box complete for 274- hose, pump, drain etc;

#5 of 11 Old 06-09-2011, 10:19 AM

I used the ocean reef pool with baby #2 and honestly it was fine - it's big, so it was harder to keep warm though.  I used the La Bassine for my last birth (and will use it again this time). It was very comfy and kept the heat better.  We bought a sump pump to do the emptying and it's now living the rest of it's life burried in the ground helping with a drainage issues in my parents back yard!!! We got another pump for this birth but some people just use a hose and somehow syphon the water out...

Married to my high school sweetheart (15years), Mamma to 3 boyspeace.gif (2000), whistling.gif(2003), blahblah.gif (2007) and growing a new little one stork-suprise.gif due late July 2011. 
#6 of 11 Old 06-09-2011, 01:50 PM

I used the Aquarium pool here: http://www.yourwaterbirth.com/other-pools-c-1_39.html and thought it was great!  I haven't used anything other than a tub though.  It was not nearly full enough after just 1 water tank though, and my birth went so fast that we did not have time to fill it any more, it was maybe 8-10 inches full.  I would have greatly preferred it be double that and this time, we might start filling it sooner.  We just weren't expecting such a fast labor, since my previous ones had been 4 and 5 hours, but my last was only 1.5 hours and dh started filling it 40 min. into labor and I got in 20-25 min. later, and then had him 20 min. after that.  It was very nice for the 20 min. I was in.  The bottom was cushy and the walls felt plenty supportive enough.  I certainly wouldn't go with anything larger.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#7 of 11 Old 06-09-2011, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheelimama View Post

I used the Aquarium pool here: http://www.yourwaterbirth.com/other-pools-c-1_39.html and thought it was great!  I haven't used anything other than a tub though.  It was not nearly full enough after just 1 water tank though, and my birth went so fast that we did not have time to fill it any more, it was maybe 8-10 inches full.  I would have greatly preferred it be double that and this time, we might start filling it sooner.  We just weren't expecting such a fast labor, since my previous ones had been 4 and 5 hours, but my last was only 1.5 hours and dh started filling it 40 min. into labor and I got in 20-25 min. later, and then had him 20 min. after that.  It was very nice for the 20 min. I was in.  The bottom was cushy and the walls felt plenty supportive enough.  I certainly wouldn't go with anything larger.

My MW actually has that fishy pool- I have fast labors too (one was 1.5 hours from start to finish like yours) but I get in at 5 cent dilated and usually end up having my babies 15 minutes after that in tub. Last labor was prodromal for 2 days beforehand but once it started it was 3 hours. But I've never missed not getting in the tub! I'm thinking of something larger in case DH wants to get in as well.

#8 of 11 Old 06-10-2011, 08:10 PM

This time I'm getting a pool liner so there's less clean up for dh.  He really whined and complained about the clean up (we didn't have a pump either to get it started flowing out) and insisted that we not do another waterbirth this time.  And I've insisted that we will have a waterbirth, but I've also made sure the midwives are on board with helping with clean up (last time, it was the midwife's first solo birth with no assistant and she did not help with clean up at all), we will be getting a pool liner, and a reverse pump (my mw's say you can get one at Home Depot for $8!), to make everything easier for dh.  I agree greenmama, even if you only get to enjoy it for 15-20 min., it's still worth the effort.  At least it was for me.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#9 of 11 Old 06-10-2011, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

The kit I found with Birth Pool in a Box includes the liner- I also had a long talk with seller (Waterbirth Solutions) about La Bassine versus BPIAB- she says la bassine lucky if you get 2 births out of it- the BPIAB is much sturdier and better made pool so that's the one I'm going with. Clean up needs to be easy IMO- liners used so no one has to scrub out pool afterwards.

#10 of 11 Old 06-11-2011, 05:45 PM

It's funny that you say that about the la bassine because I ended up having the repair the one loaned to me from my mw during my last birth, two days before I went into labor. Luckily I did a test run with it to discover the leak and could find where it needed to be repaired on the outside. I agree with the liners, you can pump out most of the water and then lift the liner up and dump the rest of the contents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmama66 View Post

The kit I found with Birth Pool in a Box includes the liner- I also had a long talk with seller (Waterbirth Solutions) about La Bassine versus BPIAB- she says la bassine lucky if you get 2 births out of it- the BPIAB is much sturdier and better made pool so that's the one I'm going with. Clean up needs to be easy IMO- liners used so no one has to scrub out pool afterwards.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#11 of 11 Old 06-11-2011, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Right and my midwife told me today she's had issues with La Bassine's as well but she wants to buy my pool from me when I'm done so all in all a good investment!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page