Vit K: injection or oral does? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#31 of 43 Old 06-24-2011, 12:17 PM
 
reborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

 

 

Quote:
But the real problem is that the antibiotics actually CAUSE antibiotic-resistant infections of other types, such as E. coli. This is extremely dangerous, because you have then created a situation in which bacteria that happened to be present and would not have likely been harmful have received just enough antibiotics to become resistant such that the resulting infection cannot be treated. 

 

Scary!!!  I'm GBS+ and declining antibiotics for me... hopefully we won't need to transfer to the hospital so I can avoid antibiotics for baby... not sure if I'll have the option to decline?  I suppose if I try hard enough and the baby isn't showing signs of infection I can decline anything.

 

I'm planning to do the Hibbiclens flush instead.  Any thoughts about that, DrBrockBaca?

 


nak.gif married to DH  guitar.gif since 03/05/2005, new mama to E thumbsuck.gif, homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg 07/02/2011

 

nocirc.gifselectivevax.giffamilybed1.gifbfinfant.gifcd.gif

reborn is offline  
#32 of 43 Old 06-24-2011, 02:55 PM
 
DrBrockBaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

 

Quote:

I'm planning to do the Hibbiclens flush instead.  Any thoughts about that, DrBrockBaca?

 

 

I haven't seen any studies on the effectiveness of the Hibbiclens flush (I don't think there are any), but I would probably try it if I were you as well. Also make sure you are taking a really good women's probiotic (orally). I would consider vaginally inserting probiotics as well - especially because the Hibbiclens can get rid of the good bacteria in your vagina along with the GBS. There is no easy solution to balancing your microflora...

 

And just make sure that if your baby does end up needing antibiotics (or being given antibiotics for any reason) that he/she receives the full dosage. While it is better to avoid antibiotics if you can help it, a small dose can be more dangerous than a larger dose because smaller/incomplete doses just breed resistance. Talk to your midwife and/or doctor about your concerns for the baby's gut bacteria and risk of antibiotic resistant infection. These are topics that any good doctor should be open to discussing with you and helping you decide what to do - they are both important issues in medical research these days. But hopefully you won't have any problems! Good luck!

 

 

DrBrockBaca is offline  
#33 of 43 Old 06-24-2011, 07:28 PM
 
samhope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thankful for this thread.  We decided today to not go with the oral dosage b/c of the inconsistency in dosage guidelines and b/c of the gut flora issue.  Both my son and I have food allergies which I would love to do everything to avoid with this next one.  We will go with the shot if there is bruising at the birth.  Otherwise we are going to take our chances (midwife said 5 in 100,000).

samhope is offline  
#34 of 43 Old 06-25-2011, 09:28 PM
 
DrBrockBaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

 

 

Quote:
Both my son and I have food allergies which I would love to do everything to avoid with this next one.  We will go with the shot if there is bruising at the birth.  Otherwise we are going to take our chances (midwife said 5 in 100,000).

 

This is getting off-topic for this post, but I just thought I would mention that many scientists believe there is a causal link between exposure to genetically modified foods (peanuts, soy, corn, etc.) and food allergies. You may already be aware of this, but many people aren't, so I always try to raise awareness of the issue in case you are interested in researching it further. So it might be a really good idea to keep your new baby from being exposed to genetically modified foods as long as possible, even through your breastmilk. There is also strong evidence from animal studies that genetically modified foods alter gut bacteria. 

DrBrockBaca is offline  
#35 of 43 Old 06-25-2011, 09:41 PM
 
mamahen2coop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Poulsbo, WA
Posts: 394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBrockBaca View Post

 

 

 

This is getting off-topic for this post, but I just thought I would mention that many scientists believe there is a causal link between exposure to genetically modified foods (peanuts, soy, corn, etc.) and food allergies. You may already be aware of this, but many people aren't, so I always try to raise awareness of the issue in case you are interested in researching it further. So it might be a really good idea to keep your new baby from being exposed to genetically modified foods as long as possible, even through your breastmilk. There is also strong evidence from animal studies that genetically modified foods alter gut bacteria. 


how do you know what foods contain GMO's unless specifically labled No GMO? They seem so insidious

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF
 

 

mamahen2coop is offline  
#36 of 43 Old 06-26-2011, 05:17 AM
 
SuburbanHippie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: finally out in the country
Posts: 1,853
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If they are certified organic, they are GMO-free.


Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

 


 

SuburbanHippie is offline  
#37 of 43 Old 06-26-2011, 11:25 AM
 
DrBrockBaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

 

Quote:
how do you know what foods contain GMO's unless specifically labled No GMO? They seem so insidious

 

I would avoid eating any processed foods that were not certified organic or labeled no GMO. Obviously, the best thing to do is to avoid processed foods as much as possible. Even some products at health food stores can contain genetically modified corn, soy, and peanuts under a "natural" label. The strongest links to food allergies are with GM soy and peanuts, and soy in particular is in almost every processed food in some form or another. 

reborn likes this.
DrBrockBaca is offline  
#38 of 43 Old 06-26-2011, 11:53 AM
 
samhope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You can avoid GM foods by only eating whole organic foods.

samhope is offline  
#39 of 43 Old 06-26-2011, 03:51 PM
 
reborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanHippie View Post

If they are certified organic, they are GMO-free.



I didn't know this.  Is GMO-free a requirement in order to be certified organic?  My mom and I were just have a convo about this the other day and she was under the impression that foods could be GMO and still labeled "organic".


nak.gif married to DH  guitar.gif since 03/05/2005, new mama to E thumbsuck.gif, homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg 07/02/2011

 

nocirc.gifselectivevax.giffamilybed1.gifbfinfant.gifcd.gif

reborn is offline  
#40 of 43 Old 06-26-2011, 04:31 PM
 
DrBrockBaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

 

Quote:
Is GMO-free a requirement in order to be certified organic?  My mom and I were just have a convo about this the other day and she was under the impression that foods could be GMO and still labeled "organic".

 

Certified organic foods MUST be GMO-free. However, there are still many processed products that have the word organic on them because they are made with SOME organic ingredients, but they contain GMO foods as additional ingredients. You really have to be careful with processed products. Don't think it's GMO-free just because it came from Whole Foods. 

DrBrockBaca is offline  
#41 of 43 Old 06-30-2011, 02:47 PM
 
mamahen2coop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Poulsbo, WA
Posts: 394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So is the thinking to omit the shot unless there is some indication and only then do the shot or just do the shot regardless?

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF
 

 

mamahen2coop is offline  
#42 of 43 Old 06-30-2011, 02:58 PM
 
DrBrockBaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

 

Quote:
So is the thinking to omit the shot unless there is some indication and only then do the shot or just do the shot regardless?

 

That's up to you. We decided to go ahead and get the shot soon after the baby is born regardless, but a lot of people will wait. I would definitely get it if the baby shows any signs of bruising or birth trauma though. But whatever you decide, try not to fret about it too much! You can drive yourself crazy with all these decisions, and the baby will probably be fine either way. :)

DrBrockBaca is offline  
#43 of 43 Old 06-30-2011, 05:11 PM
 
mamahen2coop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Poulsbo, WA
Posts: 394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBrockBaca View Post

 

 

That's up to you. We decided to go ahead and get the shot soon after the baby is born regardless, but a lot of people will wait. I would definitely get it if the baby shows any signs of bruising or birth trauma though. But whatever you decide, try not to fret about it too much! You can drive yourself crazy with all these decisions, and the baby will probably be fine either way. :)


isn't that the truth!??! there are so many things to decide with your kids in general. whew. If you let it, it could be VERY overwhelming!

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF
 

 

mamahen2coop is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off