34 weeks with BAD cough and sore throat. What to take? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-12-2011, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Here in Spain they told me there's nothing I can take so I'm trying to tough it out. Problem is I'm on day 3 of a hardcore cough that wracks my whole body and hurts my ribs and ab muscles and I'm worried about the effect on the baby. Not to mention that the pitiful amount of sleep I was getting before is all but gone.

Did anyone take anything for a cough (approved by your doc in your country) in the eighth month? If you can recommend something perhaps I can try to find an equivalent here in Spain. I really don't like taking meds while pregnant and have avoided it for 8 months, but I'm at the point where I feel the cough is getting worse and surely that's not good for mother or baby?

Debbie

#2 of 4 Old 06-12-2011, 02:20 PM

Ugh, I hate having a cold while pregnant. I'm sorry you're sick.

I had the cold from hell last pregnancy and I took Robitussin. It didn't do much but it helped somewhat.

Lisa, Mama to two 2-26-09 and 6-15-11

"Hey baby, do you like trains?"

#3 of 4 Old 06-12-2011, 02:35 PM

I am so sorry you are sick! I had a nasty flu a few weeks ago.. coughed for three weeks! My ribs and back ached with all that coughing. And I was wetting myself whenever I coughed (so.. pretty much all the time) eyesroll.gif Not fun!!

I drank a lot of hot lemon and honey water, sometimes with ginger in it. Hot oregano tea helped too. I ended up taking a couple of Tylenol for the pounding headache (felt like my head was going to explode when I would cough) and I did use cough drops on the nights when I could not get any sleep otherwise. Running a hot shower in a closed up bathroom to breathe the steam helped (I stayed out of the really hot water) and having a humidifier to keep the air moist helped too.

I hope you can kick this bug soon! It's so miserable to be sick while pregnant. greensad.gif

Married to an Ogre, Mother of Danora Rose 12/31/2008 and missing Evan Michael 12/31/2008 Expecting someone new 7/11/2011

#4 of 4 Old 06-13-2011, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Lemon water worked WONDERS for me. I know it sounds way too simple, but it really pulled my sore throat through! That and cell salts. I think I took an enormous amount of calc sulph, and rotated it with sodium ascorbate (very absorbent vitamin C) and I was better in a couple of days. Good luck mama:) Feel better soon

Mama to oneone, and a brand new!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page