Pre Labor Signs! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 112 Old 06-22-2011, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Total pms-y symptoms. CRAMPS, backache, baby so low I'm pretty sure I could touch him if I didn't have child-size arms (love being short..........................). Cervix is OOOOOPEN. I'm not sure how far I am, but from what I can tell, I'm between a 2-4. Lots of....(TMI ALERT) discharge....

I'm hoping I get one night of real sleep in before baby comes...as I haven't slept in like..2 months...but hey, I will gladly take being a tired new mama over a good nights sleep and waiting longer....

Hows everyone hanging in there????

#2 of 112 Old 06-22-2011, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

How exciting! I am so jealous! How far along are you? How has your discharge changed? I hope it goes quickly and you are holding your sweet baby soon!

hippie.gifborn in the wrong era. Madly in love with my DH. Mama to my Beatles boys; L (6) and H (2). 
#3 of 112 Old 06-22-2011, 07:48 AM

Awesome!  I'm totally jealous!  My cervix is closed up like Fort Knox.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#4 of 112 Old 06-22-2011, 07:53 AM

Oooooh keep us posted! smile.gif
#5 of 112 Old 06-22-2011, 08:30 AM

So exciting!!!!! These babies really do come out right? My due date's next Friday and while my cervix is softening and shortening and effacing it seems to be doing it much more slowly than I'd like. My midwife assures me that cervixes can ripen over night and that I'm very ripe in general and who knows but, ahhhhh!!! Having intermitant floaty back pain, some intense vice-like braxton hicks and have just come through a super moody few days. Babe's firmly planted in my pelvis at -3 and is quite active, like she's got a lot to say before she comes out. I keep asking her when she's coming but I haven't gotten a clear answer yet :) I've been taking 500mg of evening primrose for the last week - the book I'm following says to not double until after your due date but.... What if my cervix needs a little bit of help? It's not open enough for them to sweep membranes yet even though it's shortening and softening.... All that being said, I also feel like I need a few more days. I think my body and Babe must know that. 

#6 of 112 Old 06-22-2011, 08:39 AM

I lost my mucous plug last night, much to my surprise.   I was 39 weeks exactly yesterday.   I started having light contractions exactly a week ago Tuesday (at 38 weeks exactly) but my midwife keeps cautioning me to prepare to go to 42.   It's my first babe, and my mama always says she went "right on time" with me, so I really have been anticipating going between 40-41 weeks.   

So, what do you think?   I'm curious to hear from people's first experience - how long after you lost your mucous plug did you go into labor?   First time moms that I know didn't have to wait very long after they lost their plug for labor to begin - a few hours to a few days.  So... I'm working frantically today to tie up some loose ends so that if this happens in the next few days, I won't have any niggling thoughts ("Oh, wish I would have done that one last errand...")

#7 of 112 Old 06-22-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertilemyrtle View Post

I lost my mucous plug last night, much to my surprise.   I was 39 weeks exactly yesterday.   I started having light contractions exactly a week ago Tuesday (at 38 weeks exactly) but my midwife keeps cautioning me to prepare to go to 42.   It's my first babe, and my mama always says she went "right on time" with me, so I really have been anticipating going between 40-41 weeks.   

So, what do you think?   I'm curious to hear from people's first experience - how long after you lost your mucous plug did you go into labor?   First time moms that I know didn't have to wait very long after they lost their plug for labor to begin - a few hours to a few days.  So... I'm working frantically today to tie up some loose ends so that if this happens in the next few days, I won't have any niggling thoughts ("Oh, wish I would have done that one last errand...")

My mum was induced -> c-section at 42 weeks with me (her first) a million years ago, so she SWORE up and down I'd be late and end up with a c-section too.  Me, I lost my mucus plug 5 days before my due date, and then went into labour the evening before my due date, and delivered 6-7 hours later exactly on my due date!  And honestly, I was out at an outdoor punk concert the day I went into labour - I had NO idea I was ready.  But I guess I was!

Hoping for a little more indication this time around. ;)

Charlotte, mommy to Maggie (July 15th 2008) and Una (July 19th 2011)!
#8 of 112 Old 06-22-2011, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Have been CONSTANTLY checking my cervix today and giving updates to hubbby...he's not a fan. Lol   I have noticed a clear change since this morning but I FINALLY got him to check me as well and he has no clue what he's looking for and says "um...1 finger?" But because I couldn't feel him checking, I don't think he really was able to. BUT, either way, I feel change. And I dropped even lower than I was when I got out of bed this morning....

No change in discharge...although it does feel like I had to wipe 10 times after peeing...... *sigh* Wish I could get to the hospital to be checked out but dh is working tonight.

And I lost my plug at 33 weeks....and I'm now 37w5d.... but I lost my plug within days of delivery of my other kiddos.

I'm actually hoping to wait til friday night to labor, as my hubby is working overnight shifts and I have 4 kids to watch over. *crossing fingers*

#9 of 112 Old 06-22-2011, 01:59 PM

I've never lost a mucous plug as odd as that sounds! I also can't reach my cervix but midwife today told me as things get closer I will be able to reach it so I guess I am still 3 weeks away which is more than fine to me.

#10 of 112 Old 06-22-2011, 02:42 PM

You experienced moms have so much interesting stuff to share... I feel like I'm just waiting for something to happen but I'm not sure what. shrug.gif Just sitting tight until something falls out or hurts or leaks or ... ?  orngbiggrin.gif

Mama to boy born 7/18/11 and another on the way in November '13  Rainbow.gif

#11 of 112 Old 06-23-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guatemama1 View Post

You experienced moms have so much interesting stuff to share... I feel like I'm just waiting for something to happen but I'm not sure what. shrug.gif Just sitting tight until something falls out or hurts or leaks or ... ?  orngbiggrin.gif

That's exactly how I feel!  I have no idea what to look for.  I keep thinking I'm going to go into labor and not even know it until I'm pushing.  Yeah I know that's ridiculous...

#12 of 112 Old 06-23-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugglesmom View Post

That's exactly how I feel!  I have no idea what to look for.  I keep thinking I'm going to go into labor and not even know it until I'm pushing.  Yeah I know that's ridiculous...

It's not so ridiculous!  I remember with my first wondering, "How will I know when I'm in labour?" and experienced mums would look at me like I was crazy and say, "Oh, YOU'LL KNOW."  Well, when labour finally started it was so mild, and frankly so like all the aches and pains I was already experiencing, I was like, "Well, this can't be labour.  I don't KNOW."  I sent DH off to class and phoned my parents to ask if I could come over for dinner.  I was feeling strange enough, though, that we decided to swing by the hospital just to ask a couple questions on the way to my parent's house.  The L&D people were practically rolling their eyes at me but hooked me up to a contraction monitor anyway and had the OB take a look - sure enough I was 5cm dilated and contracting regularly.  EVERYONE was surprised, myself included!  The baby was born 6h later.

But in the end, you know, I guess some part of me suspected enough to suggest the hospital detour, so maybe I *did* "KNOW" after all?  In any case it's not like I missed a sign and the baby failed to arrive, lol. :D

Charlotte, mommy to Maggie (July 15th 2008) and Una (July 19th 2011)!
#13 of 112 Old 06-23-2011, 03:21 PM

My mucus plug came out this morning! I'm 37 weeks today. I've also been having a decent number of BH contractions, and an acne flare-up. So maybe my hormones are kicking in and getting ready! I'm kind of hoping my baby comes fairly soon - my midwife said I'm measuring on the high end of normal for the height of the uterus, and women in my family tend to have really large babies. I wouldn't be upset if mine decided to come out before it grew too big!

SuburbanHippie likes this.
#14 of 112 Old 06-23-2011, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

!!! Is Acne a prelabor thing too?! Holy cow you should see my face! I've had PERFECT skin for YEARS...like..maybe 3 pimples for the last 13 years total...and now I've got a good 5 going... Didnt have that with any other baby, but I've been induced in some way or another with 3 out of the 4 babies Ive delivered

#15 of 112 Old 06-23-2011, 05:41 PM

Acne breakouts have always happened to me around the time I give birth. I will literally break out in pimples during labor, and then afterward as well.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#16 of 112 Old 06-24-2011, 11:14 AM

Um, can I make a leap from acne to poo? How about incessant going of #2 as a pre-labor sign? For the last week-ish every time I eat something something comes out the other end. It's not going straight through me or anything but is as if my body is trying to stay really clean and empty. It's also been smellier... (sorry, gross!) but I wonder if I really am cleansing stuff in preparation? I'm 39 weeks tomo and have tons of BH when I'm walking. She dropped about a month ago and I read that with first time moms labor often starts 2-4 weeks after the drop - that would put us at this weekend! But other than the poo thing and being particularly roller coastery with my emotions I feel pretty normal. Just gigantic. On Tuesday, my cervix was still posterior and not open enough to sweep membranes, though it is softening, shortening and beginning to efface. 

It is so strange to be a first-timer and not know what you're waiting for but that it's inevitable that something huge is going happen in the next couple weeks. I keep watching my dogs and seeing how they react to me, thinking they'll know before I do. Then I think, well, I haven't gotten through that stack of papers on my desk and she knows that so I better get it done so she can come. Or, she'll wait until we've turned the hot water heater up and given a trial run of the birth tub. Or she'll come before Wednesday because that's when my mom's coming and she's not invited to the actual birth but is coming to be post-partum support and it would save awkwardness if the babe was out already. And on and on and on and on..........

#17 of 112 Old 06-24-2011, 03:34 PM

I have been having lots of BHs and real contractions..as well as a big increase in discharge and lots of cramps. She dropped a little over a week ago. I've been really restless, but super tired at the same time. I've also noticed that my body is "cleansing/emptying" itself lol The same thing happened with DD1, so I know I am in the home stretch. I'll be 37 weeks tomorrow and my labor with DD1 began at 38+3. It is so surreal that we are all SO close! Not to mention the few ladies who already have their babes here. I'm going to miss being pregnant.

Earth-loving, birth-loving, body-working, simple-livin' mama to two sweet girls and fiance to a hard-working man treehugger.gif namaste.gifbellyhair.gif

#18 of 112 Old 06-24-2011, 04:22 PM

Does everyone get Braxon Hicks? I'm 38w3d w/ #1 and don't think I've felt BH. Will they eventually come?

Mama to boy born 7/18/11 and another on the way in November '13  Rainbow.gif

#19 of 112 Old 06-24-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:

Does everyone get Braxon Hicks? I'm 38w3d w/ #1 and don't think I've felt BH. Will they eventually come?

It took me until my 3rd pregnancy to figure out what BH felt like.  lol.gif  I only realized it when I saw them on the monitor for an NST.  I bet you're having them and not even knowing it. 

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#20 of 112 Old 06-24-2011, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

AH!!! I cant say I feel the same on this one...this is #5...in 7 years... I'm SOOOO over being pregnant for the rest of my long long life....

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedmama59 View Post

I'm going to miss being pregnant.

#21 of 112 Old 06-24-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:

You probably are having them, you just aren't realizing it. I know a lot of women who describe the baby "balling up then stretching/pushing out" which totally could describe the sensation of a BH. In my first pregnancy, I first noticed them after sex around 16 weeks and explained to my MW how my uterus and baby would ball up really hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofplenty View Post

AH!!! I cant say I feel the same on this one...this is #5...in 7 years... I'm SOOOO over being pregnant for the rest of my long long life....

I can totally see your point wink1.gif I enjoy my body while pregnant, but I AM looking forward to breathing easily again...and not having to pee every five seconds.

Earth-loving, birth-loving, body-working, simple-livin' mama to two sweet girls and fiance to a hard-working man treehugger.gif namaste.gifbellyhair.gif

#22 of 112 Old 06-24-2011, 07:24 PM

guatemama: I didn't realize I was having BH at all until someone mentioned that they don't necessarily cause any pain. What I get (still pretty infrequently at this point) is periodic tightening of my entire belly/uterus. I can actually see it happen more so than feel it, I can see everything kind of squeeze together for a couple of seconds or minutes and then it loosens up. No pain at all. So far it only happens to me if I overexert myself.

I know it's naive but for now, I choose to continue to hope that all ym contractions will be like that... orngbiggrin.gif

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

Owned by Friesians and Drum Horses, plus the dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens

#23 of 112 Old 06-24-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofplenty View Post

Total pms-y symptoms. CRAMPS, backache, baby so low I'm pretty sure I could touch him if I didn't have child-size arms (love being short..........................). Cervix is OOOOOPEN. I'm not sure how far I am, but from what I can tell, I'm between a 2-4. Lots of....(TMI ALERT) discharge....

I'm hoping I get one night of real sleep in before baby comes...as I haven't slept in like..2 months...but hey, I will gladly take being a tired new mama over a good nights sleep and waiting longer....

Hows everyone hanging in there????

This was nearly exactly my pre-labor symptoms this time.  After about 24 hours of excess mucousy discharge, it turned slightly bloody and about 24 hours after that my baby was born.  It sounds like your very close.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#24 of 112 Old 06-24-2011, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)

I've got:  anything I eat on the fast track out.  Lots of BH -- though I took a day off today to keep my feet up and didn't have any.  Puffy feet have returned.  Bleh.  Puffy face (with unrecognizable nose...happened the last month or two with DS too).  CM with streaks for about 2 weeks now, so definitely plug action.  Appetite is increasing again, but so is the heartburn when laying down.

And I've woken up with a nasty charlie horse the last two nights in a row.  Not sure it that's related, but I don't think I'm short anything...I eat lots of bananas and dairy.  So just thought I'd throw it out there.

Oh, and the acne is kicking in.  Any time I have a hormone shift, the acne goes through a surge. 

We're at wait and see now since I am now 4 days past when I had DS.  If I can make it through this weekend, we'll be 38 weeks, and baby is welcome any time!  :) 

Since I went early before, I asked the doctor to check me the last two appts.  This last week at 37 weeks I wasn't nearly as dilated or effaced as I was with DS at not quite 36 weeks.  So we're making progress, it's just slow and steady and on a different schedule than last time! 

#25 of 112 Old 06-25-2011, 07:01 AM

I never experienced real contractions with DS, but I've been having a lot of BH & PMS-like symptoms.  Diarrhea (TMI, sorry), very grumpy, aches/pains low in my uterus.

Can you believe that I just hired a doula?  I've been tossing the idea around for the past 2 mths & finally decided to do it.  Feeling so much better b/c I live 1 hr from the hospital & want to labor at home as much as possible.

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."- Albert Einstein

#26 of 112 Old 06-25-2011, 11:48 AM

I've been having BH off and on for weeks now, but they are getting more intense, and last night they were more like real contractions and about five minutes apart for an hour. Then they quit. eyesroll.gif

This morning when I got out of bed I had a little trickle of amniotic fluid go down my leg. Not enough to reach the floor, but enough to make me go into house cleaning/prep hyper drive, lol.

I'll be 38 weeks on monday, so this baby is welcome to come whenever it wants! smile.gif

Married to an Ogre, Mother of Danora Rose 12/31/2008 and missing Evan Michael 12/31/2008 Expecting someone new 7/11/2011

#27 of 112 Old 06-25-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticRose View Post

This morning when I got out of bed I had a little trickle of amniotic fluid go down my leg. Not enough to reach the floor, but enough to make me go into house cleaning/prep hyper drive, lol.

If it really was amniotic fluid, that would mean your water broke and you need to get on the phone with your midwife or OB.

Chances are that was either urine or regular old vaginal fluid.

#28 of 112 Old 06-25-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
If it really was amniotic fluid, that would mean your water broke and you need to get on the phone with your midwife or OB.

No worries, I've talked with her (MW) and she's not concerned at this point. She said pretty much the same thing you did. I know it wasn't urine. It could have been regular vaginal fluid. Or she said it could have been a pocket of fluid between the outer chorion and the inner amnion. (read here if you want more info on that)

As long as I don't leak any more fluids, no action is required at this point. smile.gif Baby is doing fine and I haven't had any more contractions or leaks.

Married to an Ogre, Mother of Danora Rose 12/31/2008 and missing Evan Michael 12/31/2008 Expecting someone new 7/11/2011

#29 of 112 Old 06-29-2011, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)

Is it typical to drop a pound or two towards the end?  I've lot 2 lbs this week.  Must be fluid retention (hello again ankles!).  My cousin is also due very soon...we're just a day apart and she reported losing a lb this week as well. 

Off and on ctx for a couple of days, but now nothing.  They seem to be doing something though.  I've been gaining a cm a week.  :)  Up to 3cms, still 50%.  So one of these days it will be the real deal! 

Lots of plug action, but that's been going on for a couple of weeks.  It's increasing though.  (Definitely plug and not just fluids/muccus...there are usually bits of blood mixed in.) 

I had several days of loose bms, but that seems to have disappeared again in the last couple of days.  It did coincide with the big round of ctx over the weekend though.

All in all...things are ramping up, but not quite there. 

#30 of 112 Old 06-29-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:

shrug.gif Just sitting tight until something falls out or hurts or leaks or ... ?  orngbiggrin.gif

truedat.gif    orngbiggrin.gif ROTFL!

nak.gif married to DH  guitar.gif since 03/05/2005, new mama to E thumbsuck.gif, homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg 07/02/2011

nocirc.gifselectivevax.giffamilybed1.gifbfinfant.gifcd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page