What are you doing about the mattress issue? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-23-2011, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are planning on co-sleeping with Eddie IN our bed for the first few weeks.  And then moving him oh-so-far as to the SIDE on the bed into a used (but already purchased) ARC.

Our midwife is pretty specific about the mattress wrapping.  If you are sleeping with baby in YOUR bed...did you wrap it?  We already have a bed-bug cover on ours...and are open to whatever we need to do.

What about the ARC?  Is there anything special we need to do to the pad to prep it for Eddie?

I'm a first-time mom with about 2-3-6 weeks to go.  Trying not to panic...but realizing the ONLY thing I have "ready" is a TON TON TON of diapers!

Thank you!

Mrs B

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 06-23-2011, 02:10 PM

Wrap a mattress?  Never heard of that- I've had an organic mattress for years and prior to that a wool/cotton futon. My mattress has a down mattress pad and that's it. I've used those mesh bed rails but got a Tres Tria co sleeping pillow this time. I had an ARC for my 4th but she hated it as did I so it ended up pretty much unused.

#3 of 10 Old 06-23-2011, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

I would love to purchase an organic mattress for both Eddie and for us...but after looking at the prices...I don't know that it'll happen in the next 2 weeks.

Mrs B

#4 of 10 Old 06-23-2011, 04:03 PM

We have never wrapped a mattress.  We still have ours from our last baby that he used about 5 times total.  It's completely out-gassed by now so I don't have any worries.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#5 of 10 Old 06-23-2011, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We are side-carring a crib. We got an organic mattress from EcoBaby, and have layered it with an organic cotton dust mite cover, an organic wool pad, and an organic cotton absorbent pad under the sheet. I just got the dust mite cover and the cotton pad washed today, and we put everything on it this afternoon and it's all ready for the baby now! 

A good source for organic bedding at the lowest prices is http://www.thenaturalorganicbaby.com/. I got our mattress and both mattress pads there, as well as a custom-made diaper changing pad and custom-made organic wool bumper pillows to go inside the crib bumper. 

#6 of 10 Old 06-23-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBrockBaca View Post

We are side-carring a crib. We got an organic mattress from EcoBaby, and have layered it with an organic cotton dust mite cover, an organic wool pad, and an organic cotton absorbent pad under the sheet. I just got the dust mite cover and the cotton pad washed today, and we put everything on it this afternoon and it's all ready for the baby now! 

A good source for organic bedding at the lowest prices is http://www.thenaturalorganicbaby.com/. I got our mattress and both mattress pads there, as well as a custom-made diaper changing pad and custom-made organic wool bumper pillows to go inside the crib bumper. 

I bought my 11 year old's organic mattress from same place!

#7 of 10 Old 06-24-2011, 04:10 AM

We have wrapped our mattress in a dust mite proof cover as our daughter is allergic to dust mites. On top we have a washable cotton cushion top (not too thick), on my side we have now added a waterproof cover from Ikea with a terry top in case my water breaks in my bed as it has happened twice.

Barbara, Mama to Isabel (06/2004), Jake (08/2006-03/2007), Noah (01/2008), and Matteo (07/2011) 
Please always research the safety of vaccines even if your doctor tells you they are harmless! novaxnocirc.gif

#8 of 10 Old 06-24-2011, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all!

Barbara, what cotton cover are you using?  Right now, we just have the bed-bug cover...but I would love to add another layer.  

As for the mattress, DH just handed me his CC and said, "Don't go over-board, but buy what you need."  So, he wants me to purchase one of the organic cotton pads for our Arm's Reach.  Now, we just have to put it together and measure to buy the right size.

Thank you!

<rs B

#9 of 10 Old 06-25-2011, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbernstein View Post

Thank you all!

Barbara, what cotton cover are you using?  Right now, we just have the bed-bug cover...but I would love to add another layer.  

Here is what I have:

IKEA 365+ SKYDDA Mattress pad - not expensive and easy to fit in the washer!

Barbara, Mama to Isabel (06/2004), Jake (08/2006-03/2007), Noah (01/2008), and Matteo (07/2011) 
Please always research the safety of vaccines even if your doctor tells you they are harmless! novaxnocirc.gif

#10 of 10 Old 06-25-2011, 10:14 AM

Location: Basking In the Chaos of 4 Small Children Who Call Me Mom

I'm Not Planning on Birthing on my Bed, but in case my water breaks, and for the milk leakage and Baby Pee afterward I want to get this: http://www.amazon.com/Luna-Hypoallergenic-Waterproof-Mattress-Protector/dp/B002AQPUW0/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I18QWPVTHKEWA2&colid=1EOU9YVCY2M4T

As for the 'Old' Mattress in the room we set up for the birth with the pool and everything else, I laid down chux, then an old sheet, then a plastic $1 Table cover, then another old sheet then the pillows, then covered it with another sheet to keep out the dust and what not until The Day. I don't really care if that bed gets yucked, it's got one of those temperpedic toppers And It's pretty old and lumpy so it will be trashed after the birth anyway. It's just a place to crash right next to the pool for when I crawl out.

Brittanyfly-by-nursing2.gif Wife to Cedricblowkiss.gif (heartbeat.gif4-9-05heartbeat.gif) Mommy to: Gideon Edmundsuperhero.gifG.E.M.(2-1-07)stillheart.gif

Miscarried Isabelle Aurora2ndtri.gif I.A.M. (12-12-08) Lorelei Ariahwool.gifL.A.M.(1-14-10)stillheart.gif  Youtube.com/user/murillomania

Tabitha Ivy Esperanza babyf.gifT.I.E.M.(7-17-11) My First h20homebirth.gif  stillheart.gifPhineas Alexander Lyric babyboy.gifP.A.L.M.(3-30-13) rainbow1284.gifuc.jpg

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page