baby bathtub - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 06-26-2011, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

is this actually a necessity?  I mean, would the sink work just as well?  I haven't gotten a baby tub yet and I'm just wondering if I even need to think about it

#2 of 22 Old 06-26-2011, 08:03 AM

I have used the sink since day one...well - ok more like day 19...but yes i still use the sink , my DS is 25lbs and 10 mo old.  I do think soon he will be too big  (read - messy, splashes water EVERYwhere, grabs at the dish soap with too much enthusiasm etc..) 

i have  shower doors - i so hate hanging over those tracks!

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#3 of 22 Old 06-26-2011, 08:21 AM

I've never used the sink because there are usually dishes in it.  lol.gif  What I like to use for little babies is a spongey thing that lays in the bathtub.  Once they are old enough to sit up, I use a bath seat that attaches over the edge of the tub. 

I've tried using a baby bathtub in the past and it just doesn't seem very comfy for my babies.  They slip and slide when they squirm and it always made me feel paranoid like they were going to slip and hit their head on the side or something.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#4 of 22 Old 06-26-2011, 08:52 AM

I used a baby bath with my first because we didn't have a tub, I just used a cheap $10 one and it worked out okay. Once we moved to a house that had a tub he took baths with me at night and then eventually switched to laying/sitting in the regular tub. With my second she took showers with me in the water wrap (and usually my then toddler as well) and then eventually switched to laying on a towel in the bottom of the tub with a bit of water and I washed them both together. I've used the sink occasionally and it can get kind of messy and isn't always comfortable for a non-sitting baby, if you do use it I recommend putting a towel in the bottom first to keep them from slipping. For this baby we'll most likely do baths with me and then laying in the bottom of the tub like DD did, in the very beginning they really don't need baths that often.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#5 of 22 Old 06-26-2011, 09:03 AM

Never used one even with the twins, I bathed with them (love nursing them in the tub).........

#6 of 22 Old 06-26-2011, 09:08 AM

I usually give the baby sponge baths and then wash em in the sink (that way I actually DO the dishes lol)

I actually got a little tub in the hospital with my son that I use for sponge baths, but I got a baby bathtub for my shower with my son that I use once he got bigger. Now I actually have a standard bathtub (in my old apartment I had a clawfoot tub that was too high to comfortably reach over) so I will probably use the baby tub evne less this time. 

Lisa, Mama to two 2-26-09 and 6-15-11

"Hey baby, do you like trains?"

#7 of 22 Old 06-26-2011, 09:27 AM

not a necessity, but we have one and used it for baths until my son was about a year. i don't have and complaints about it. will use the same tub for newbaby, too.

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
#8 of 22 Old 06-26-2011, 12:02 PM

From my experience as a nanny, if you have counter space to put the baby bathtub on, it can be nice to have one if it has the built-in cushion for babies that can't sit up. But you can just put a towel in the sink, too. Just make sure your kitchen sink is clean - kitchen sinks typically have more bacteria than toilets! 

We haven't gotten a bathtub yet either. We are planning to just bathe the baby with one of us, or use the bathroom sink if the baby needs a bath when we don't want to take one. DH wants to get a baby bathtub, but we just don't have anywhere to put it, and I don't want another piece of plastic junk in the house. 

#9 of 22 Old 06-26-2011, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

We haven't gotten a bathtub yet either. We are planning to just bathe the baby with one of us, or use the bathroom sink if the baby needs a bath when we don't want to take one. DH wants to get a baby bathtub, but we just don't have anywhere to put it, and I don't want another piece of plastic junk in the house. 

yes, this is my problem, I feel like it would just take up more space than would be practical.  I'm leaning towards getting one of the foamy things to lay the baby on in the big tub

#10 of 22 Old 06-26-2011, 01:24 PM

I saw this a long time ago and thought it was neat: http://www.giggle.com/eng/product/infant_sink_tub/20101p

Seems to have some drawbacks based on the reviews but it seems like it could work if you want something to fit securely in the sink and are short on space.

People seem to use this one in the sink as well and it's a lot cheaper: http://www.giggle.com/eng/product/infant_bath_seat/23246

Otherwise I'd just go with using the regular tub if you don't want to purchase any extra gear.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#11 of 22 Old 06-26-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I'm leaning towards getting one of the foamy things to lay the baby on in the big tub

We actually did get something like one of those (it was on our registry), but when we received it, I read the tag and it said it was filled with polysterene (Styrofoam), which is potentially toxic, even though it's not one of the "major" toxins like BPA, PVC, or phthalates. So I returned it. But perhaps I'm hyper-vigilant about toxins.

Here is a buying guide for BPA, PVC, and phthalate-free baby bathtubs (although this post includes the Leachco polysterene-filled product I returned):

http://thesoftlandingbaby.com/2010/02/22/bpa-pvc-and-phthalate-free-baby-bathtub-and-seat-buying-guide/

I'm just going to wait and see if we really need something before I buy any bathing equipment. I like the idea of the upright bucket tubs (like the SpaBaby tub on the link above), but I've never used one, and I'm not sure how well you can actually wash off the baby in those. Anybody else used one of those?

#12 of 22 Old 06-26-2011, 07:43 PM

I really really like the Euro Tub: http://www.amazon.com/Primo-340W-EuroBath-Pearl-White/dp/B000056OV0

I had a couple other tubs and just felt like it was a place for babies to get cold evaporated water poured on them.  We also had a bucket type submerge tub where you pop them in upright and I didn't really love that but maybe because I was using it with my tiny son and it just felt like he was going to go under.  The Euro Tub was nice because it has a good place for them to sit their bum before they can sit up but they can still be under the water up to their chins and therefore warm.  

I think if I had a nice big bathtub I would just bring baby in with me...but in a regular tub that isn't too fun.  And showering with slippery babies was always hard for me unless DH was home to hand them in and then take them out again which I couldn't always count on.

Married to Mike blowkiss.gif(5/29/05) and mama to Emmie energy.gif (6/11/06), Chase superhero.gif(3/21/08) and our baby Parker lost at 16 weeks angel2.gif (2/22/10) , Sawyer joy.gif our rainbow1284.gif (7/11/11) and a girl baby.gif on the way in April! 
#13 of 22 Old 06-26-2011, 09:52 PM

I loved the tummy tub once DS wasnt so floppy. He bathed with me or DH until then.

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF

#14 of 22 Old 06-26-2011, 11:07 PM

Not necessary, but I liked ours.  It has a hammock for when they are tiny and then can be used w/out it when they are bigger (until 1'ish IIRC).  It was a shower gift w/DD1 but they're pretty cheap, maybe $14?  I see them all the time at consignment or thrift stores for only $3-5 so if space isn't an issue they aren't a big expense.  We'll be using the same tub for this baby.

Really most baby care items aren't "necessary" but they can often make life easier!  You just have to decide how much $$ you want to spend and how much space you have to store all of it!

Semi-crunchy Momma to a 4 year old girl and a baby girl born in July of 2011.

#15 of 22 Old 06-27-2011, 07:54 AM

We got one with son #1 but hated it- he just never liked baths in it, got cold and it took up too much space. Since then, I've just always bathed with them when they were little infants not old enough to sit up - nice relax for me, cozy time with them and they don't get cold. A friend has been using the Tummy Tub with her baby from birth this last year and it looks great. For little, littles ones, you really don't put a lot of water in and they still get covered up enough to stay warm. If I could convince my mum to bring one with her from the US (but won't because it's just too bulky to fly with!) I'd get one in a heartbeat - who can't make use of a bucket later on?  So we'll just go on using the big bathtub....

Married to my high school sweetheart (15years), Mamma to 3 boyspeace.gif (2000), whistling.gif(2003), blahblah.gif (2007) and growing a new little one stork-suprise.gif due late July 2011. 
#16 of 22 Old 06-27-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanHippie View Post

I've never used the sink because there are usually dishes in it.  lol.gif  

Ditto that!  ROTFLMAO.gifIt usually seemed like too much work to clean/sanitize the sink good enough for putting baby in so we did go with the baby bath.  I think we only used that a handful of times before baby would just bathe with me.  Newborns are so slippery though, I had to keep him from slipping around with many washcloths strategically placed on him and me.

ahhh to be able to think well enough to create a clever signature.sleeping.gif someday i will have enough sleep to accomplish this task...

Janae, mama to X (1/09) & X (7/11) and wife to J (since 9/96!)  Homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby (and toddler) wearing, co-sleeping, lactivist, intactivist. luxlove.gif

#17 of 22 Old 06-27-2011, 09:25 PM

I always just used the sink or a small bucket - see my first born's picture on a camping table in Greece with grandma giving her a bath at 3 months:

Bild 028.jpg

Barbara, Mama to Isabel (06/2004), Jake (08/2006-03/2007), Noah (01/2008), and Matteo (07/2011) 
Please always research the safety of vaccines even if your doctor tells you they are harmless! novaxnocirc.gif

#18 of 22 Old 06-30-2011, 10:32 PM

Sorry if there is any duplication here. Wasn't able to read through the thread. I had the same question before I had my first baby three months ago. The kitchen sink with a towel in the bottom is perfectly fine! I found this little pad that goes in the sink to be really nice before they are able to hold their heads up. http://www.amazon.com/Leachco-Safer-Bather-Infant-Bath/dp/B001QBXBQM/ref=br_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I12FKZQWSYHMG8&colid=1A12BNBTJJZ49 It also makes a nice pad to keep on the counter to rest on after a bath. Not necessary, but nice and doesn't take up much space. Someone also gave me a "Washpod", which is basically a glorified bucket. Not so great during the first six weeks or so, but now that she's bigger and has head control, I have to say she LOVES it. Her body gets largely submerged, and it totally relaxes her. Can stop a meltdown instantly. I thought it would be just more baby junk to clutter up my house, but I'm getting a ton of use out of it. For baths with soap, I use the sink, but the washpod is great for routine calming, evening baths.

Emily Lin, mom to Alia (2011). Clinical herbalist and nutritional consultant at Integral Herbalism  (www.facebook.com/IntegralHerbalism). Natural health articles at http://emilylsnelling.hubpages.com .homebirth.jpg treehugger.gif

#19 of 22 Old 07-03-2011, 03:15 PM

Tried the baby bath. He hated it. Now one of us just takes a bath with him. So much more fun.

#20 of 22 Old 07-04-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamahen2coop View Post

I loved the tummy tub once DS wasnt so floppy. He bathed with me or DH until then.

We just picked up one of these at Once Upon a Child--brand new for a great price.  We were also given a standard baby tub with the insert so we will see which works best for us.  Heck we may just end up showering with him but DH likes really hot showers so that is an issue. 

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#21 of 22 Old 07-04-2011, 04:20 PM

We use the whale of a tub and our baby LOVES it!  We started off with the sink and that worked okay.  We found that she was too squirmy in it, and as she didn't have head control yet, it was fine for a quick bath.  We almost dropped her a couple of times and when she squirmed we did bonk her head on the side of the sink once.

We then took her into the big tub with us and she just loved the water.  She loved to splash and kick in there and it was really helpful with her gas (breaking it up) in the evenings.  Only we didn't really want to have to fill up our big tub and bathe with her every night (a matter of convenience and time and cost - our tub is really deep and takes a while to fill for an enjoyable adult soak).

That's when we decided a tub was essential for us.  I did a lot of research and this one was recommended a lot. I like that it's designed for newborns and will transition over to baby stage.  She can lie back and soak in the water - she just loves to splash about and kick - and she's totally supported. She's just over 3 months right now and she can still sit with her bum on the green bar (she can't sit up yet so this is awesome).  Baby loves her bathtime and this tub has been great.  I didn't think one was essential before she was born but it's one of the most valuable pieces of baby gear for us.

DW and I are moms to two teens (DD 17 and DS 15) adopted through CAS in 2007 and a toddler (DD 2) born at home in March 2011.

#22 of 22 Old 07-05-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumshoegirl007 View Post

We use the whale of a tub and our baby LOVES it!  We started off with the sink and that worked okay.  We found that she was too squirmy in it, and as she didn't have head control yet, it was fine for a quick bath.  We almost dropped her a couple of times and when she squirmed we did bonk her head on the side of the sink once.

We then took her into the big tub with us and she just loved the water.  She loved to splash and kick in there and it was really helpful with her gas (breaking it up) in the evenings.  Only we didn't really want to have to fill up our big tub and bathe with her every night (a matter of convenience and time and cost - our tub is really deep and takes a while to fill for an enjoyable adult soak).

That's when we decided a tub was essential for us.  I did a lot of research and this one was recommended a lot. I like that it's designed for newborns and will transition over to baby stage.  She can lie back and soak in the water - she just loves to splash about and kick - and she's totally supported. She's just over 3 months right now and she can still sit with her bum on the green bar (she can't sit up yet so this is awesome).  Baby loves her bathtime and this tub has been great.  I didn't think one was essential before she was born but it's one of the most valuable pieces of baby gear for us.

This is SO good to hear because this is the tub we purchased!  I've been skeptical because it seems kinda hard... I was picturing bathing our daughter in something more spongy.  But I thought we could just lay down a towel in the first weeks if it seems to tough for a newborn. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page