Seriously? 37w and STILL no name for this baby boy! Help me, please. :-) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-27-2011, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is driving me absolutely nuts!  With DS1 we had a name almost immediately after finding out he was a boy.  It was like divine intervention or something as somehow DH and I both thought of the same first and middle name combo independently within 24 hours of finding out he was a boy.  It was awesomely easy to name him.  

So that's complicating factor #1:  DS1 was crazy easy to name.

Complicating factor #2:  We get SO many compliments on DS1's name.  "He's going to be a superhero/rockstar/etc."  Or "Yea, with a name like that you can't name this baby Jim." or "My daughter can't wait to hear your son's name because your first sons name is so unique."  I'm feeling too much pressure!  ROTFLMAO.gif

I don't share names on the boards, but DS1's name isn't all that unique or anything.  It's just a nice combo that sounds cool together...both names are around 250 in popularity for the past several years.  We are looking for something equally cool that flows and isn't common nor too unfamiliar.  Top 100 names are automatically excluded (although I realize any name could become "top 100" at any time).

So, my question:  What do you consider to be a "cool" boys name? 

Thanks ladies!

ahhh to be able to think well enough to create a clever signature.sleeping.gif someday i will have enough sleep to accomplish this task...

Janae, mama to X (1/09) & X (7/11) and wife to J (since 9/96!)  Homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby (and toddler) wearing, co-sleeping, lactivist, intactivist. luxlove.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2011, 01:20 PM

If I was able to name a boy without any input from DH whatsoever (as we seem to have opposing opinions about what makes a good boy's name :P) I'd name him:

Brandoch

George

Titus

August (if, you know, he was born at the right time ;))

Robertson

Francis (Frankie)

...as you can see, I tend towards sort-of pompus-sounding but thoroughly under-used names. ;)

Charlotte, mommy to Maggie (July 15th 2008) and Una (July 19th 2011)!
Old 06-27-2011, 01:55 PM

On that note... we have a book in my bookstore by a guy named "Swift Edgar" which kind of blew my mind with it's awesomeness.  "Swift" has to be the best name EVER.  But then, you know, it would have to be the right kid (that this guy edits Medieval texts for a living sortof makes the name awesome in another way - it seems to totally inappropriate that it becomes once again awesome).  I knew a kid once named "Brash" who was absolutely anything but.  He was the most awkward, asocial pushover I ever met.  I could barely say his name without feeling bad for him.  

So, you know, while on the one hand I'd love to name a kid something wicked like Swift or Stout or Pluck or something, I'd really have to meet the babe first and make sure it fit. ;)

Charlotte, mommy to Maggie (July 15th 2008) and Una (July 19th 2011)!
Old 06-27-2011, 03:35 PM

All I can say is that I'm in the same boat. Except that I don't know whether my baby is a boy or girl. Just trusting that the right name will show up when the time is right, just as our wedding vows did, the night before we were married! ROTFLMAO.gif

Amanda, DW to Drew, mom to Ella, 7, Gardner, 2, homesteading on the edge of the continent on the Lost Coast.
mdcblog5.gif California Homesteading, http://eastmillcreek.blogspot.com

Old 06-28-2011, 08:28 AM

We are having a little lady, but for a boy, we loved the names Austin, Stone, Levi, and Eli.  I think they are totally cool. 

Old 06-28-2011, 10:44 AM

Location: Basking In the Chaos of 4 Small Children Who Call Me Mom

Boy Names are easy For Us. We Have a Ton We Like. Girl Names were tough for us to agree on, so I can relate. Everybody Loves Our Kid's Names, and Their Initials Spell Something (GEM and LAM) and it's gonna be hard to keep that going a 3rd time. But I think we did it.

This Baby will Be Either Dashel Orren (DOM) or Aroura Ivy (AIM)3

We also Like:

Thaddeus

Titus

Barret

Demetrius

Garion....Lots more

It's really hard to suggest names without knowing their 'style'. What ever you choose will be perfect. Even If you Don't LOVE it right from the beginning he will grow into the name and become the right person for it and you wont be able to imagine anything else for him.

Brittanyfly-by-nursing2.gif Wife to Cedricblowkiss.gif (heartbeat.gif4-9-05heartbeat.gif) Mommy to: Gideon Edmundsuperhero.gifG.E.M.(2-1-07)stillheart.gif

Miscarried Isabelle Aurora2ndtri.gif I.A.M. (12-12-08) Lorelei Ariahwool.gifL.A.M.(1-14-10)stillheart.gif  Youtube.com/user/murillomania

Tabitha Ivy Esperanza babyf.gifT.I.E.M.(7-17-11) My First h20homebirth.gif  stillheart.gifPhineas Alexander Lyric babyboy.gifP.A.L.M.(3-30-13) rainbow1284.gifuc.jpg

Old 06-28-2011, 01:05 PM

I think my son's name is very cool! first name is Sebastian middle name is Rudd :) neither of the names are ever on the top 100 list though... if we were having a boy this time, we were going to name him Nathaniel Summit, but we're having a girl!

Serena - married to Jason, mom to Sebastian (b.12.22.2008) and Poppy (b.07.07.2011) ♥

Old 06-28-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasmith View Post

We are having a little lady, but for a boy, we loved the names Austin, Stone, Levi, and Eli.  I think they are totally cool. 

Levi and Eli and both on our list! Too funny!  I'm annoyed though, seems our favorites have skyrocketed in popularity in the past year or so, and I really didn't want a trendy name. :P

nak.gif married to DH  guitar.gif since 03/05/2005, new mama to E thumbsuck.gif, homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg 07/02/2011

nocirc.gifselectivevax.giffamilybed1.gifbfinfant.gifcd.gif

Old 06-28-2011, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone so far for the input.  I appreciate it!  Levi and Eli have been bounced around although they were both ultimately nixed due to their recent popularity.  I keep thinking of Stone although I have yet to mention it to my DH.  Actually, I just chatted it to him...Let's see what he says...DH:  "Not a fan."  My response to him:  "Bah!"  ROTFLMAO.gifOh this is miserable!

My DH keeps returning to Zachary.  I absolutely refuse this name.  I like it well enough but it is WAY too popular for my liking.  He also keeps bringing up "Howlin' Wolf" which drives me completely insane but he thinks it's so super awesome.

ahhh to be able to think well enough to create a clever signature.sleeping.gif someday i will have enough sleep to accomplish this task...

Janae, mama to X (1/09) & X (7/11) and wife to J (since 9/96!)  Homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby (and toddler) wearing, co-sleeping, lactivist, intactivist. luxlove.gif

Old 06-28-2011, 03:37 PM

I always thought Edgar was a super cool guy name. Like he could be all artsy and poetic, or he could be a rockstar :)

Lisa, Mama to two 2-26-09 and 6-15-11

"Hey baby, do you like trains?"

Old 06-28-2011, 04:35 PM

LOL!  I am so in the same boat-- due on Friday and still no name.  Midwife says we "have" to pick one before she leaves a few hours after the birth.  Bah humbug.  I think that is only true if we want her to submit the paperwork.  My mom didn't name one of my brothers for two weeks, so I know it's possible to do it later if you have to.

I have basically decided that I hate all boy names.  They are all boring or snobby sounding or too trendy/"out there" for us.  I refuse to have a name that ends in "en" or "an".

My hubby's name is Cullen, which I love and used to think was original... before Twilight ruined it.  

Other possibilities, none of which I love:

Eliot

Davis

Cole

Finn (I really like this one, but hubs says NO)

Jude

Gregory

Samuel (boring!!)

A friend just had a baby last weekend and named him Henry Silas.  I like it! But a lot of people don't... lol... Silas was on my list for a while too.

nak.gif married to DH  guitar.gif since 03/05/2005, new mama to E thumbsuck.gif, homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg 07/02/2011

Old 06-28-2011, 06:22 PM

Here are some names from our list:

Falcon
Cobalt
Lion
Atlas
Talon
Stone
Jet
Chance
Zane
Jasper
Zephyr
Flint
Logan
Kai
Maddock
Pheonix
Leo
Ryker
Gray
Clay
Boulder

(As you can see we lean towards the unusual & nature-inspired.) smile.gif But I think any of those choices would be badass!
Old 06-28-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reborn View Post

LOL! I am so in the same boat-- due on Friday and still no name. Midwife says we "have" to pick one before she leaves a few hours after the birth. Bah humbug. I think that is only true if we want her to submit the paperwork. My mom didn't name one of my brothers for two weeks, so I know it's possible to do it later if you have to.

I have basically decided that I hate all boy names. They are all boring or snobby sounding or too trendy/"out there" for us. I refuse to have a name that ends in "en" or "an".

My hubby's name is Cullen, which I love and used to think was original... before Twilight ruined it.

Other possibilities, none of which I love:

Eliot

Davis

Cole

Finn (I really like this one, but hubs says NO)

Jude

Gregory

Samuel (boring!!)

A friend just had a baby last weekend and named him Henry Silas. I like it! But a lot of people don't... lol... Silas was on my list for a while too.

Out of your list my fave is Jude!
Old 06-28-2011, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

radicaleel - You've actually got my DS1's middle name on your list. winky.gif  And there are several names on your list that we have brought up over the months and have just not been drawn to for one reason or another....I am so frustrated.  I wish one of the names would just stand out and be obviously *the* name.  There's actually one name on your list that we discussed that I thought was a little "out there" but if it's on someone else's list too...it can't be that unusual.  I'm going to bring it up again.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuzzleNudge View Post

It's really hard to suggest names without knowing their 'style'. What ever you choose will be perfect. Even If you Don't LOVE it right from the beginning he will grow into the name and become the right person for it and you wont be able to imagine anything else for him.

At this point, that's what I'm hoping.  

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  I'm going to have DH read through them (and hope and pray). smile.gif

Old 06-29-2011, 12:03 AM

You technically have up to 30 days before you have to "legally" name your baby whether it's born at home or in the hospital.  This is at least true in the states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reborn View Post

LOL!  I am so in the same boat-- due on Friday and still no name.  Midwife says we "have" to pick one before she leaves a few hours after the birth.  Bah humbug.  I think that is only true if we want her to submit the paperwork.  My mom didn't name one of my brothers for two weeks, so I know it's possible to do it later if you have to.

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

Old 06-29-2011, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radicaleel View Post

Out of your list my fave is Jude!

Prob my fave too!  DH says no because of the Beatles song. irked.gif  Oh, and he also likes "Alan".  I'm thinking about it... might grow on me.  I think my favorite on your list is "Atlas", because I was a huge Ayn Rand fan at one point.  :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianBlesing View Post

You technically have up to 30 days before you have to "legally" name your baby whether it's born at home or in the hospital.  This is at least true in the states.

Figured as much!  Thanks. :)

Old 06-29-2011, 09:11 AM

My sister in law sent her husband to "register" the baby here in rural Guatemala and they meant to name the kid Jonathan but the hubs messed up and put Jonaver, pronounced Yon-ee-ver... hahaa. It's too expensive and hard to change at this point. Yon-eee-ver, anyone? whistling.gif

Mama to boy born 7/18/11 and another on the way in November '13  Rainbow.gif

Old 06-29-2011, 09:19 AM

OMG, I love the name Silas! love.gif I wanted to use this name sooooo much, but our last name ends in a "S" so it sounds really weird together. 

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

Old 06-29-2011, 10:09 AM

Hi to all the mamas who are having yet un-named babies!  We fall into that category as well.  With ds, it was easy as there was dh's side of the family to name him after (grandfather).  With dd, we had no clue if she was going to be a boy or girl, so didn't even look at names until she was born.  Even then, didn't do much looking.  I kept hearing the tunes of two theme songs that are kid-related, and then names of two different "characters" from these tunes.  Over and over and over in my head until I finally said "ack!"  okay.. we'll name her that.  And it sounds beautiful together and suits her perfectly.

With this baby - due in a few weeks, we've tossed around a few names - again, not knowing if it's a boy or girl.  And will most likely wait until we meet the little lovebug before we name him/her.  No sense in stressing about it until you meet them.  The name you pick may or may not suit their look/personality, etc.  Just wait until you see them.  Then you'll know.  thumb.gif

chicken3.gif    Wife to DH and Mama to five beautiful children,    Always remembering out Little Angel angel.gif we lost in Jan. 2004. 

teapot2.GIF, selectivevax.gif,winner.jpg,cd.gif,fambedsingle1.gifbftoddler.giffbbf.giffemalesling.GIF

User Tag List