Final Projects? Nesting? Distraction? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 06-27-2011, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,

I'm feeling a need to motivate and also to have some distraction from the anxiety of waiting for my first to decide to make an appearance. Maybe I'm not the only one in this boat? Maybe we can share our lists of things to do...

Today I dyed a bunch of hand-me-down onesies (tie dye, dip dye, etc).

I need some more ideas of absorbing projects....

Hope you are all hanging in there well.

#2 of 25 Old 06-27-2011, 02:31 PM

I'm so in the mood to make and do things lately. I'm going to hit the 2nd hand clothing market for wool sweaters and sew recycled wool longies from the legs. I also crocheting & knitting more & more stuff. And the other project on my mind is to make a bunch of chocolate chip cookie dough & oatmeal cookie dough to freeze for postpartum so all DH has to do is bake away and I get yummy cookies.

Would love to read more ideas!! :)

Mama to boy born 7/18/11 and another on the way in November '13  Rainbow.gif

#3 of 25 Old 06-27-2011, 02:43 PM

I've been cooking and baking like a madwoman.  DH gets all excited when he comes home from work and the house smells like food.  Then I tell him we're having sandwiches because I froze everything I made.  Yeah, he doesn't really like that much.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#4 of 25 Old 06-28-2011, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanHippie View Post

I've been cooking and baking like a madwoman.  DH gets all excited when he comes home from work and the house smells like food.  Then I tell him we're having sandwiches because I froze everything I made.  Yeah, he doesn't really like that much.

twins.gif  I did this to DH the other day with blueberry muffins!!! haha!

nak.gif married to DH  guitar.gif since 03/05/2005, new mama to E thumbsuck.gif, homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg 07/02/2011

nocirc.gifselectivevax.giffamilybed1.gifbfinfant.gifcd.gif

#5 of 25 Old 06-28-2011, 06:37 AM

Our nursery is still in dire need of work and that has been occupying me... my EDD is Friday and last night I *just* put together the crib (which we probably won't use except as a toddler bed).

I'm not motivated because I know we'll be co-sleeping probably for at least a year, so the nursery really just a storage room for all the CRAP this tiny person already has. haha!  Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful for things people have bought us, but it's so overwhelming to have mounds of stuff to deal with when it is this hard for me to move.  I have SPD/pubic pain and it's really hard to get motivated to do anything that involves lifting or bending.

Plus, I just plain don't know where to put this stuff! dizzy.gif I don't want to buy any new storage containers or shelving and there just isn't anywhere for the stuff to go.  I jokingly told my mom I'm boxing up all the toys and silly accessories we've been given and saving them as gifts for the baby's next 5 birthdays and Christmases.  Now I'm thinking that actually sounds like a brilliant idea... thumbsup.gif

I've also been doing some cooking here and there... and trips to the grocery store every couple of days because I really really love fresh fruit and I want to make sure we're stocked for my postpartum period. eat.gif

nak.gif married to DH  guitar.gif since 03/05/2005, new mama to E thumbsuck.gif, homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg 07/02/2011

#6 of 25 Old 06-28-2011, 07:13 AM

I've decided to make some gowns from my husband's old shirts....http://thismamamakesstuff.com/2008/08/tutorial-t-shirt-to-newborn-gown/

And some more wool dryer balls....http://goodmama.typepad.com/goodmama/2008/05/make-your-own-wool-dryer-balls.html

And I also plan to cook and freeze.  But I'm in my 37th week and I'm having an energy crisis... I'm hoping I start nesting soon!  I'm just been really tired all week.  Because of this, I've been making *myself* a project and taking baths, giving myself a terrible pedicure b/c I can hardly reach my toes, meditating, writing poems, etc.....things that I know I'll have a hard time doing after Lily bug is here. 

NuzzleNudge likes this.
#7 of 25 Old 06-28-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasmith View Post

I've decided to make some gowns from my husband's old shirts....http://thismamamakesstuff.com/2008/08/tutorial-t-shirt-to-newborn-gown/

Oooh those look great. Thanks for posting this!

Mama to boy born 7/18/11 and another on the way in November '13  Rainbow.gif

#8 of 25 Old 06-28-2011, 09:30 AM

Location: Basking In the Chaos of 4 Small Children Who Call Me Mom

I have my List I Have Slowly been crossing items off of:

Make Bed in Labor Room

Organize House

Change the Picture in the Frame to Something I like

Rinse off Tarp for Under Birth Pool

Wash Carseat and Adjust Straps

Freeze Coconut Water for Slushies during Labor

Buy Everything for Birth Kit

Hang Twinkle Lights

Finish Knitting Blanket (Need Yarn That the Store is ALWAYS Out of Stock Of!)

Tie Dye Knit Blanket and Baby Clothes

Pack Overnight Bags for the kids

Make Paper Mobiles

Sew Baby Things (Pants, Matching Outfit for a Convention we're hopefully going to make)

Set up Birth Pool!

Day of Labor-Make Sure house is CLEAN or I will go nuts! (Been trying to keep up so we don't have to do EVERYTHING) But I want the bathrooms clean, The Carpet Well Vacuumed, The Laundry all done, The Counters in the kitchen cleared and clean, Dishes Washed and Put away, Garbages Dumped, Kitchen Floor Swept and Mopped. You Know, All that stuff that ALWAYS Needs Doing and Never Stays Done.

Day of Labor-Set Up. Put Blankets in Dryer to Warm Up when Ready. Move Computer to Labor Room to Record Birth and Play Slideshow of Pictures I want. Take Things out of Birth Kit and set up around the room where needed. Get Fans Going and Cool off the Room. (It stays Really Hot in there cause we don't use it)

Day Of Labor-Make Coffee, and Some Foods, (Pasta Salad, Fruit Salad, Waffles to Freeze, Milk Maker Cookies= http://igottarememberthat.blogspot.com/2010/09/milk-maker.html...)

I have My List Of foods I want to make sure we have on D-Day. But I can barely get up and stand long enough to pour my kids cereal in the morning, let alone cook and freeze foods. I am so Winded and fatigued and then I have Such Severe SPD I can't even sit long enough to do the projects I really want to, like Sew or sit at the table to work on the mobiles. And I can't drive cuz I get horrible cramps or charlie horses that literally could cause us to crash. Plus I would Pass out loading and unloading my kids, let alone doing what ever task we were doing. So DH Has been the usual shopper! Bless Him!

Brittanyfly-by-nursing2.gif Wife to Cedricblowkiss.gif (heartbeat.gif4-9-05heartbeat.gif) Mommy to: Gideon Edmundsuperhero.gifG.E.M.(2-1-07)stillheart.gif

Miscarried Isabelle Aurora2ndtri.gif I.A.M. (12-12-08) Lorelei Ariahwool.gifL.A.M.(1-14-10)stillheart.gif  Youtube.com/user/murillomania

Tabitha Ivy Esperanza babyf.gifT.I.E.M.(7-17-11) My First h20homebirth.gif  stillheart.gifPhineas Alexander Lyric babyboy.gifP.A.L.M.(3-30-13) rainbow1284.gifuc.jpg

#9 of 25 Old 06-28-2011, 10:10 AM

Thinking of sewing some stuff. Going crazy here, too. Off to the fabric store later this afternoon to at least fill my brain with ideas...

#10 of 25 Old 06-28-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:

And I can't drive cuz I get horrible cramps or charlie horses that literally could cause us to crash. 

This happened to me the other day!  Not crashing (lol) but getting bad, continuous cramps/painful BHs while driving!  It was so bad I thought maybe early labor, but it went away as soon as I got out of the car.  I wonder why???

#11 of 25 Old 06-28-2011, 10:40 AM

Location: Basking In the Chaos of 4 Small Children Who Call Me Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by reborn View Post

This happened to me the other day!  Not crashing (lol) but getting bad, continuous cramps/painful BHs while driving!  It was so bad I thought maybe early labor, but it went away as soon as I got out of the car.  I wonder why???

I get Cramps from my groin/hips down. So I am unable to use the pedals. Perhaps your BH were cause from the way you have to sit in the car. Sitting in that position is not very pregnant-friendly.crap.gif

Brittanyfly-by-nursing2.gif Wife to Cedricblowkiss.gif (heartbeat.gif4-9-05heartbeat.gif) Mommy to: Gideon Edmundsuperhero.gifG.E.M.(2-1-07)stillheart.gif

Miscarried Isabelle Aurora2ndtri.gif I.A.M. (12-12-08) Lorelei Ariahwool.gifL.A.M.(1-14-10)stillheart.gif  Youtube.com/user/murillomania

Tabitha Ivy Esperanza babyf.gifT.I.E.M.(7-17-11) My First h20homebirth.gif  stillheart.gifPhineas Alexander Lyric babyboy.gifP.A.L.M.(3-30-13) rainbow1284.gifuc.jpg

#12 of 25 Old 06-28-2011, 12:54 PM

What I WAS going to make (before this lil one decided to come early)  was a complete knock off of those super expensive swaddling blankets you see using this cotton guaze-y material

http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/3479-AA.shtml?lnav=fabric_cotton.html

and then I was going to dye it some cool colors. So the material came on Tuesday, had the baby Wednesday, and now the cloth is sitting on my dining room table ;)

Lisa, Mama to two 2-26-09 and 6-15-11

"Hey baby, do you like trains?"

#13 of 25 Old 06-28-2011, 01:58 PM

Do you know if it's safe to dye with fiber reactive dyes while preggo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelylisa View Post

What I WAS going to make (before this lil one decided to come early)  was a complete knock off of those super expensive swaddling blankets you see using this cotton guaze-y material

http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/3479-AA.shtml?lnav=fabric_cotton.html

and then I was going to dye it some cool colors. So the material came on Tuesday, had the baby Wednesday, and now the cloth is sitting on my dining room table ;)

#14 of 25 Old 06-28-2011, 02:35 PM

Eh, I don't know :) I was going to use kool aide, even bought a bunch of it,  but then I remembered that it only works on animal fabrics, like wool. (and hair, but that's a totally different story)

Lisa, Mama to two 2-26-09 and 6-15-11

"Hey baby, do you like trains?"

#15 of 25 Old 06-28-2011, 02:38 PM

Not sure I'd call this a project, but we're down to constant cleaning.  The only big things pending are cleaning the carpet on the stairs (necessity!) and in our bedroom, and taking some maternity photos with our new camera.  Those things are pretty important so hopefully we get at least this weekend to finish up.  If we had a baby name I'm sure I'd be painting name letters for his bedroom, but alas - no name, no letters.  I wish I was doing something crafty like so many of you. smile.gif

ahhh to be able to think well enough to create a clever signature.sleeping.gif someday i will have enough sleep to accomplish this task...

Janae, mama to X (1/09) & X (7/11) and wife to J (since 9/96!)  Homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby (and toddler) wearing, co-sleeping, lactivist, intactivist. luxlove.gif

#16 of 25 Old 06-28-2011, 04:42 PM

I don't post here much, but now that I'm finished working (yay!) I thought I should start contributing a bit!

This week I've been trying cook and bake a bunch of things to freeze. I did mini meatloaves and some homemade strawberry waffles. I'm hoping to do some sweet potato and bean burritos, cookie dough and muffins too. I also want to make a few pizza crusts and just get stocked up on quick and easy meals for after baby arrives.

I also REALLY need to start sewing cloth wipes - I've made only a few. I just can't seem to motivate myself enough to cut and sew them all though. Hopefully tomorrow I can get going with that and make some good progress. 

I've also been trying to maintain a good level of cleanliness in our apartment too. 

I'm Cait  - married to my best friend Mike and Mama to Theo (7/30/11)  baby.gif

#17 of 25 Old 06-28-2011, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

You guys make me feel so lazy. In between work and L I barely have energy to make what we are having for dinner much less freeze food! Although I love the idea of tye dying. What dye do you use

hippie.gifborn in the wrong era. Madly in love with my DH. Mama to my Beatles boys; L (6) and H (2). 
#18 of 25 Old 06-28-2011, 06:00 PM

I have an ongoing list. I think today with the muffins I just baked I officially finished my freezer stash--woohoo! And I'm all set with baby clothes & diapers sorted, washed, folded and put away.

The big things left to do:

Wrap things up with work

Paint belly cast

Make a new painting to go in bedroom (I just sold the one that was there and I NEED art in my bedroom!)

Finish gathering birth supplies--I think we have almost everything but need to put it all in one place

Declutter & organize kitchen & bathroom cabinets

Thoroughly clean the fridge

Freecycle a bunch of stuff

Cut some more baby wipes out of old t-shirts & flannel blankets

Install baby's car seat

Clean clean clean clean clean!

Things I don't have to do but want to do to enjoy these last weeks:

Go on nature hike with family

Swim as much as possible

Watch some movies

Read a lot

Work on my garden

Get professional mani/pedi (doing that tomorrow!)
#19 of 25 Old 06-28-2011, 07:50 PM

I'm feeling like I'm running out of time.  I just feel like I need to sit back and relax and sleep, but I have a long mental list of things to do.  I think I need to prioritize, and move things like "schedule prenatal massage" to the top of the list, and things like "organize the laundry room" to the bottom!

These are some fun projects, though!  I wouldn't be against some FUN things to do while waiting!

Mama to a daughter (3/2008) and a son (7/2011)
#20 of 25 Old 06-28-2011, 07:59 PM

Wow!  Everyone has so much motivation!  I was proud of myself when we got the carseat installed!  I had big plans to freeze a bunch of meals but now that I've had to change my diet so drastically I have no idea what to make now.  I barely have the energy to shower at this point.  I'm also wating for that nesting urge...

#21 of 25 Old 06-29-2011, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugglesmom View Post

I'm also wating for that nesting urge...

I would kill for some "nesting urge"!  Everyone keeps telling me I'm nesting, and I"m like, "No it's not nesting, it's called 'Oh Shoot, the baby is coming! I'd better get my crap together!' instinct. LOL... it would all be much easier with some of that magic energy I keep hearing about. 

#22 of 25 Old 06-29-2011, 04:46 PM

We're not setting up a nursery, we have extra bedrooms but one is a guest room & one is an office...the baby is going to sleep with us anyway so I'm not too worried about that.  I have a bassinet, a Moses basket & a changing table.  All I really need to do is finish washing clothes & get them put away.  I cleaned up the ones with stains & bleached them in the sun but I need to wash the rest.  Don't know why I'm procrastinating.

Otherwise, I've been cleaning out drawers & closets, but I really need to clean my frig...it's disgusting & I keep avoiding it.  I have no energy for anything though.  I need a little elf to come in & do it for me!

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."- Albert Einstein

#23 of 25 Old 06-29-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awallrising View Post

but I really need to clean my frig...it's disgusting & I keep avoiding it.  

I did this last week, and it has made me feel BETTER than anything else I have done to prepare for the birth (other than the guilt over the huge bag of food I had to toss.)! ha!  You can do it!!! 

thumbsup.gif

matte likes this.

#24 of 25 Old 06-30-2011, 05:39 AM

I'm with Reborn!  We have 3-5 weeks...and are CRAZED!  We own our own home-business where we stock an inventory.  And up until now, it's never been that big of a deal that our living room and spare room were both REALLY inventory rooms.

And now...the baby is coming!!!  We plan on co-sleeping, but my mother is insisting on a nursery...so she's coming today to start painting the "spare" room.  

If anything, my "nesting" has been focused on our kitchen, of all places.  It's really kind of wierd.

Mrs B

#25 of 25 Old 06-30-2011, 08:30 AM

Final projects- continue to keep house clean, boil/prep new diapers when they arrive, ordered an organic baby hammock/swing  and baby bouncer yesterday so waiting on that and my mom wants to buy us a jogging pram so picked it out/ordered it. Still need to clean the freezer, cleaned fridge the other week. Getting car cleaned on Friday so car seat can be put in afterwards (nothing like dog hair in a car- yuck). All my birth supplies in corner of bedroom ready to go/be laid out when time comes, clothes and diapers put away in changing table. Sheets clean on my bed, I plan on doing some cooking/cleaning while I'm in early labor as well!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page