Does stripping the membranes make baby drop more? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-28-2011, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My mucus plug came out last Thursday, and at my check-up today, my midwife said I was 40% effaced and about 1.5cm dilated. The baby was already pretty low. She asked if I wanted her to strip the membranes, so I said ok. Now it feels like the baby is really, really low! I feel A LOT of pressure down low, too. Does sweeping the membranes make the baby drop lower? And has anybody had this done and gone into labor soon afterwards? I'm only 37w5d, but I've been having lots of contractions and my midwives think I might go into labor soon. They think the baby weighs about 7.5 to 7.75 lbs already. I'm ready for it to come now!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2011, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my membranes stripped when I was pg with ds2. It did nothing for me.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 06-28-2011, 03:42 PM

My midwife did that when I was 10 days late with the twins and it also did nothing for me.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:55 PM

Add me to the nothing camp as well, I was 5cm and 80% effaced at the time after weeks of contractions. It can introduce infection and possibly rupture your waters before baby is ready, so it's important to be judicious about it. It can also cause a lot of unnecessary discomfort and cramping if it's unsuccessful.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

Old 06-28-2011, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I know it's not necessarily very effective for inducing labor, but I figured it wouldn't hurt since my membranes were intact, but the mucus plug was already gone and I was already dilated enough for her to do it easily. I'm just wondering if it could somehow help the baby drop lower, although I don't know by what mechanism this would occur. I literally immediately felt my baby drop even lower in my pelvis when I stood up after she did it. It could certainly be a coincidence, though. 

Old 06-29-2011, 06:55 AM

I had it done with my first - no results!

Barbara, Mama to Isabel (06/2004), Jake (08/2006-03/2007), Noah (01/2008), and Matteo (07/2011) 
Please always research the safety of vaccines even if your doctor tells you they are harmless! novaxnocirc.gif

Old 06-29-2011, 08:20 AM

I had my membranes stripped with my last pregnancy and then I drank castor oil.  I didn't tell my OB about the CO so she was so thrilled that stripping the membranes "worked."  LOL.  Sure it did...winky.gif

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

User Tag List