Not using an infant seat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-28-2011, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

So I have a really messed up neck and back from a horse accident several years ago and when i had Lennon I used one of those infant car seats that you carry around. It killed my neck and I ended up in physical therapy. So  this time I have decided to not use one and just use a convertible car seat. However this means that I have no place to put baby H when i go into places (like chirco, dr, eyebrow waxer lady, store.....) I would like to think I could sling him the whole time but that isn't great for my back AND not always practical.

Any suggestions?

hippie.gifborn in the wrong era. Madly in love with my DH. Mama to my Beatles boys; L (6) and H (2). 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2011, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not using an infant seat either and I thought about that the other day when I was waiting at the chiro's office. Where will I put the baby when I come in for an adjustment after the birth? I guess in that situation, I would put her in her stroller. If we go in a store, then I will just wear her.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Old 06-28-2011, 07:09 PM

With DS, we never used an infant car seat and never felt the need for one. When he was very little I wore him on my front in a moby or mei tai, then switched to the ergo on my back (so easy, so great!) when he got a little bigger.

I always felt like slings were a bad idea for my back, and opted for carriers that distribute the baby's weight more symmetrically on my body. Doing that will probably make baby wearing a lot easier on you.

Most places I have to go, baby wearing was always the most convenient comfortable option. For something like the chiro I'd also just use a stroller.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:12 PM

Have you considered getting an infant carseat/stroller combo. I found it really hard to carry around the carseat. But didn't want to use a convertible seat for several reasons i.e. nowhere to put them, and despite the carseats say they are for 5lbs and up I have never seen one that fits a newborn well.

I never carry the carseat I just pop it into my stroller and go.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:39 PM

I'm not doing the infant seat either. I've gotten a lot of grief about it, but those baby buckets are heavy and awkward to carry. I plan to wear the baby or in cases like visiting the chiropractor, use the stroller.

Plus, I always feel bad for the infants being swung around at knee level in those seats.

I'm Cait  - married to my best friend Mike and Mama to Theo (7/30/11)  baby.gif

Old 06-28-2011, 08:47 PM

We were planning on using DD1's infant carrier, but ended up purchasing two convertible seats today..one for the babe and a new one for the toddler. I always hated carrying that thing around, and I don't like the idea of baby not getting enough oxygen. I plan on just wearing her if we are out and about, or bringing a stroller if needed. I've kind of been wondering if we need a double stroller..I am still trying to play out in my head the logistics of how a trip out will work with a 2yo and infant in tow..

Earth-loving, birth-loving, body-working, simple-livin' mama to two sweet girls and fiance to a hard-working man treehugger.gif namaste.gifbellyhair.gif

Old 06-28-2011, 10:15 PM

I have always used my stroller. The car seat I just used for that: a seat in the car. The carrying them around and keeping baby in this curled up position for extended periods of time is very much frowned upon here in the German speaking world. I use the carry cot on my Mountain Buggy until the baby is about 5 months and a Wrap when I carry him. I would just push the stroller into the chiropractor's office.

Barbara, Mama to Isabel (06/2004), Jake (08/2006-03/2007), Noah (01/2008), and Matteo (07/2011) 
Please always research the safety of vaccines even if your doctor tells you they are harmless! novaxnocirc.gif

Old 06-29-2011, 06:42 AM

With DS we used a convertible seat exclusively and he went into a baby carrier when we were out and about, it worked fine and I didn't miss not having a bucket. I ended up buying a bucket for DD right after she was born because she didn't fit in her convertible seat, I never used it outside of the car and we switched to the convertible at 4 months. I ended up going with the Chicco Keyfit 30 this time because we have a van and my DD is still rear-facing, so it makes it easier to load my DS into the back by removing the infant seat. By the time DD is ready to forward-face the new baby will most likely be moving into a convertible.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

Old 06-29-2011, 08:06 AM

I don't use an infant seat out of the car (I wear babies) but I've never not used an infant specific car seat. My car is on the small side so instead of placing a convertible rear facing I went with an infant seat that goes up to 32 pounds (Cybex Aton).

Old 06-29-2011, 08:21 AM

Yah, a bucket seat was a bit of a must for us because we don't own a car.  We were often meeting people or cabs places, so we needed a carseat at the *far end* of a journey and had to get it there somehow.  We just had the kind that locked into a stroller - no way was I going to carry it.  Occasionally DH would carry it, but it was just uncomfortable for everyone involved (including the baby being swung around like that!)

And, of course, we wore the baby whenever we were doing something that didn't require a car, which was most of the time.  I have a mei tai I started using at ~ 7 weeks and which we loved to bits!

Charlotte, mommy to Maggie (July 15th 2008) and Una (July 19th 2011)!
Old 06-29-2011, 08:21 AM

Ddcc to say that many large grocery stores have carts with infant seats attached. I read something a while ago about not putting carseats on shopping carts anyway. At appointments I would lay the baby on a baby blanket on the floor out of the way.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
Old 06-29-2011, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome advice ladies, I feel sooooooooo much better about not using an infant seat. I am sure baby H will appreciate not being stuck in one anyway. And I am sure he will get used to napping through getting taken out of the car seat and held which will be so much better in the long run. I have a mei tai, and a baby k'tan so I am probably set. Mobys are scary for me but  my friend Seraf (see above ) is coming to show me how to use one after he is born!!

hippie.gifborn in the wrong era. Madly in love with my DH. Mama to my Beatles boys; L (6) and H (2). 
Old 06-29-2011, 12:53 PM

Just be sure that the convertible you buy has short enough shoulder harness slots to accommodate a newborn and you should be fine, even if it says 5lbs. and up the harness needs to be positioned at or below the shoulders while rear-facing and some seats will not safely fit a smaller newborn right away because not all harness slots are created equal.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

Old 06-29-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizyellow View Post

Awesome advice ladies, I feel sooooooooo much better about not using an infant seat. I am sure baby H will appreciate not being stuck in one anyway. And I am sure he will get used to napping through getting taken out of the car seat and held which will be so much better in the long run. I have a mei tai, and a baby k'tan so I am probably set. Mobys are scary for me but  my friend Seraf (see above ) is coming to show me how to use one after he is born!!

Moby's always slid/not secure when baby was 12 pounds or so and more and I preferred woven wraps but those are a pain and hard to teach a guy how to do- so this time in addition to my 2 slings and Mei Tai I ordered one of these award winning carriers- http://www.littlepossums.co.uk/slings/hybrid-slings.htm

It's similar to a wrap but it's not a wrap (easier for inexperienced dads to use) and it's reversible (no butterflies or flowers for dad). I haven't used it yet but as a baby wearing mama I will say I can't wait as it's so easy.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:28 AM

Just wanted to make a small list of those convertibles that DO fit newborns well:
Evenflo Titan
Evenflo triumph 65
The first years truefit (love this one, as the top is removeable for the newborn stage making it smaller than an infant seat)
Combi coccoro
Cosco scenera (literally the only convertible from that company that will fit a newborn)
Graco myride
Sunshine kids radian

We used a radian from birth with ds2, but are using an infant seat this time because the infant is in the middle of a very tight 3 across.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

Old 07-01-2011, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

I have the triumph. I LOVE this car seat.

User Tag List