Where did my cervix go? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-29-2011, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

So I tried to check myself for dilation (cause I am such the professional) and I have to say I am pretty familiar with my cervix and I am not sure if I found it at all. It feels like marshmellow fluff up in there. I am not kidding. What happened to my cervix? How am I supposed to put EPO capsules up there if I can't find it? Oh where oh where did my cervix go?

hippie.gifborn in the wrong era. Madly in love with my DH. Mama to my Beatles boys; L (6) and H (2). 
#2 of 12 Old 06-29-2011, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It could be posterior, chances are you'd still be able to feel it even if you were pretty far effaced. It moves around during non-pregnancy depending on cycle phase, and during pregnancy it's normally posterior and moves anterior the closer you get to birth, or it may stay posterior until active labor hits.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#3 of 12 Old 06-29-2011, 05:48 PM

Mine is also posterior and feels (from what I can feel) the same way!

#4 of 12 Old 06-29-2011, 05:52 PM

The only way I can get near mine is sitting on the potty with one foot on a stool and the other on the floor, Mine is 2-3 cm and I can feel the opening, but checking actual dilation is nearly impossible for me. My midwife told me I should stop checking because she could barely check me because of how soft and .... 5kidspelvicfloorsoft I am.

Good luck in your search :)

#5 of 12 Old 06-29-2011, 06:05 PM

hmm so I just checked- it's getting less posterior but is still hard to reach- seems quite effaced and maybe 1/2 cm dilated (I am always like that- remain fairly closed until labor begins).

#6 of 12 Old 06-29-2011, 06:10 PM

Can someone explain the posterior/anterior phenomenon some more?  My MW said that mine has "moved forward" and is 50% effaced... does this mean mine is anterior?  Is that good???!  :) 

#7 of 12 Old 06-29-2011, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

How do you know if it is effaced? Does it feel like marshmallow fluff because it is effacing? My MW doesn't do checks til 38 weeks and I am too impatient to not at least try to check it out. Plus I need to put the EPO up there.

I never dilated with Lennon and had to be induced after my water broke, I am hoping SOMETHING is happening in there

hippie.gifborn in the wrong era. Madly in love with my DH. Mama to my Beatles boys; L (6) and H (2). 
#8 of 12 Old 06-29-2011, 07:27 PM

Anterior- yes- moving forward so it's easier to reach. Effacement is when the cervix thins/shortens out from being a long neck of a thingy. For a picture view click here- http://www.ahutton.com/cgw/dilation.htm and  here- http://iahealth.net/cervical-effacement/

I feel like mine might be 90 or more % effaced- my MW doesn't ordinarily do internal checks but  I may ask  her to do so tomorrow when she comes over.

#9 of 12 Old 06-30-2011, 03:57 AM

Anterior means that your cervix will be closer to the vaginal opening and easier to reach, you'll definitely know when it's anterior. With my first pregnancy it was posterior until I hit about 5cm and I think it mostly had to do with what station his head was at. I was checking myself prior to going to the hospital and was finally able to feel it and realized I was 100% effaced and had a bulging bag of water.

It'll definitely feel more mushy when effaced but often times before labor kicks in it's more cone-like, narrower at the base and wider at the opening. For subsequent pregnancies I think it's pretty typical to be softer and more open later on in pregnancy. You can push the EPO in as far as you can reach and if you're laying down it should melt and go where it needs to go smile.gif

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#10 of 12 Old 07-09-2011, 07:31 PM

When I tried to apply some EPO to my cervix, I couldn't tell where it was.  It feels pretty mushy there instead of like a nose.  None of this happened last time with DS so it's all new to me.  My MW will check me on Tuesday (D Day) & we'll see what's up.

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."- Albert Einstein

#11 of 12 Old 07-09-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awallrising View Post

When I tried to apply some EPO to my cervix, I couldn't tell where it was.  It feels pretty mushy there instead of like a nose.  None of this happened last time with DS so it's all new to me.  My MW will check me on Tuesday (D Day) & we'll see what's up.

Same here...doesn't feel at all the same as before pregnancy, which I suppose is to be expected.  I have not had an internal exam (38 weeks) yet so I have no "professional opinion" to go by.  I just wish I knew if something was happening!

#12 of 12 Old 07-11-2011, 11:37 AM

I'm getting examined & probably stripped tomorrow.  Just did my grocery shopping & my house is clean....come on baby Finn!

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."- Albert Einstein

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page