food for birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 07-01-2011, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone got some good ideas on what food to have in the house for a homebirth - for my-labouring-self, the midwives and family that will be here??

How about some good postpartum meals?

Married to my high school sweetheart (15years), Mamma to 3 boyspeace.gif (2000), whistling.gif(2003), blahblah.gif (2007) and growing a new little one stork-suprise.gif due late July 2011. 
#2 of 17 Old 07-01-2011, 12:58 PM

I never eat during labor but I do prepare food while I'm in labor for afterwards. That said it's usually a warm stew but since it's summer- well I'm a bit stumped. I'm thinking of just having a green smoothie and a big salad  with roasted warm veggies on top and some fish for protein. I'll be baking a coconut/almond flour cake to celebrate as well.

#3 of 17 Old 07-01-2011, 04:51 PM

For me, I've got vanilla yogurt, unsweetened applesauce (which I love), fresh fruit, granola bars, and fruit juices.  Not a lot of protein in there, I admit, but I want stuff that is easy to... well... throw up... if need be.

For the midwives, I have stuff for lunchmeat sandwiches, cereal, blueberry muffins, bagels, fruit, granola bars, frozen ravioli, and marinara sauce.  I also have bottled water for them.  The instructions I got from the office said I needed to have supplies for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as well as bottled water on hand for the attendants.  I bought all the groceries last week, baked what I needed to, and put the bread products in the freezer so I don't have to worry about keeping fresh stuff in the house.  I've been buying produce every couple of days.

For my hubby,  I bought lots of those horrible frozen sandwiches and meals (burritos, paninis, frozen pizza etc) so that he'll definitely have food on-hand (during labor, and after, when I'm not cooking) that requires zero prep.  I hated to buy that sort of thing, but I was tired and convenience won out. :P  He'll also eat the fruit and snacks I'm providing for the midwives.

NuzzleNudge likes this.

nak.gif married to DH  guitar.gif since 03/05/2005, new mama to E thumbsuck.gif, homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg 07/02/2011

nocirc.gifselectivevax.giffamilybed1.gifbfinfant.gifcd.gif

#4 of 17 Old 07-01-2011, 10:56 PM

I need to do this shopping too!  I am kind of at a loss as to when I should be doing this, as I want everything to be fresh.  But I sorta don't want to be running to the grocery store during labor, you know?  That's the last place I want to be!  The non-perishables I should probably get this weekend, and stuff that can be frozen would be fine, but what about the perishables?  I guess I should just keep some on hand for us and go every couple days to replenish.  My EDD is 7/5, but I figure I'll go past that date.  Maybe I should just make several lists?

I am thinking smoothies for me, at any time of day are going to be good.  I'm not sure what else.  My midwives suggested having Recharge on hand for me too.  I don't remember wanting much of anything during my last labor... I had some toast with PB, a smoothie, some tomato soup... that's about all I can remember... and it was a 3 day labor.  Should have eaten more.  But that's another topic!  Nothing was appealing!

Mama to a daughter (3/2008) and a son (7/2011)
#5 of 17 Old 07-02-2011, 06:50 AM

I've got some coconut water on hand to have for the electrolytes- planning to get some cheese/crackers/olives that sort of thing for midwife to nibble on as well as some sparkling pear juice to celebrate afterwards. Also fresh fruit on hand for midwife as well as some vegetable crudites. If she gets hungrier there's always more she can fix herself from fridge/pantry.

#6 of 17 Old 07-02-2011, 04:50 PM

Location: Basking In the Chaos of 4 Small Children Who Call Me Mom

I'm going to make a nice Chilled Italian pasta salad with Kidney and or Garbanzo Beans, Peas and Carrots and maybe olives. Super yummy, healthy, not hot for the Summer...I love it!

Suddenly Salad makes a good base if you aren't in the mood to start from scratch.

suddenlysalad.jpg

Although all you really need for the base is spiral noodles, and Italian dressing. This box includes a few extra specs of flavor/ingredients.

Also Some Fruit Salad: Watermelon, Grapes, Bananas, Apples, and a can of fruit cocktail. Mix with Yogurt for Ambrosia-type if you like that.

2Q==images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHa5fXH7pT0KdITmPOAK0bDEEiqkkR5l65eHSVoQZbo8ulcmIWqA

Also, One day soon here, I am going to sit down and make an entire box of Belgian waffles to freeze. Those toast up easy. Nice quick meal for the kids or whoever.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGmdvxm8N-rjlgN0yaEDZUcQagzMv4iEMVR8r60auxA-cMlr7oYQ

I also have Coconut water. I have been freezing it into ice to be shaved into slushies for D-Day

I mix equal parts Coconut Water and Silk Brand Pure Coconut Milk and a few drops of Coconut Extract Flavoring and freeze. Then pop it out and shave it. REFRESHING! LOVE COCONUT!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwjWWO6pRLa-qCEEJ6LRDZbcG6lm2yJafACoAWP15lGVrhnVtpimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRAXd4qYDUKDtaVpyiMr3Krt0_JeSJv6rlUGlrwiO89NTiWhlOvPw

Brittanyfly-by-nursing2.gif Wife to Cedricblowkiss.gif (heartbeat.gif4-9-05heartbeat.gif) Mommy to: Gideon Edmundsuperhero.gifG.E.M.(2-1-07)stillheart.gif

Miscarried Isabelle Aurora2ndtri.gif I.A.M. (12-12-08) Lorelei Ariahwool.gifL.A.M.(1-14-10)stillheart.gif  Youtube.com/user/murillomania

Tabitha Ivy Esperanza babyf.gifT.I.E.M.(7-17-11) My First h20homebirth.gif  stillheart.gifPhineas Alexander Lyric babyboy.gifP.A.L.M.(3-30-13) rainbow1284.gifuc.jpg

#7 of 17 Old 07-02-2011, 04:50 PM

Frozen Burritos is a great idea!!!

Brittanyfly-by-nursing2.gif Wife to Cedricblowkiss.gif (heartbeat.gif4-9-05heartbeat.gif) Mommy to: Gideon Edmundsuperhero.gifG.E.M.(2-1-07)stillheart.gif

Miscarried Isabelle Aurora2ndtri.gif I.A.M. (12-12-08) Lorelei Ariahwool.gifL.A.M.(1-14-10)stillheart.gif  Youtube.com/user/murillomania

Tabitha Ivy Esperanza babyf.gifT.I.E.M.(7-17-11) My First h20homebirth.gif  stillheart.gifPhineas Alexander Lyric babyboy.gifP.A.L.M.(3-30-13) rainbow1284.gifuc.jpg

#8 of 17 Old 07-02-2011, 10:27 PM

I have been very hungry in labor and I would make something that cooks itself in the oven such as lasagne or other baked foods/casserolles. I have ordered sushi in the delivery room before so order in would be great to!

Barbara, Mama to Isabel (06/2004), Jake (08/2006-03/2007), Noah (01/2008), and Matteo (07/2011) 
Please always research the safety of vaccines even if your doctor tells you they are harmless! novaxnocirc.gif

#9 of 17 Old 07-03-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gismobabe View Post

I have been very hungry in labor and I would make something that cooks itself in the oven such as lasagne or other baked foods/casserolles. I have ordered sushi in the delivery room before so order in would be great to!

A lasagne sounds AMAZING

Mama to boy born 7/18/11 and another on the way in November '13  Rainbow.gif

#10 of 17 Old 07-04-2011, 06:07 AM

I need to figure this out, too. I'm not much of a cook. I really hate cooking so I need foods with very little to no prep.

I am going to have lunch meats on hand for my MWs. I don't know if they eat that sort of thing but I need something quick and easy for them with protein. I've been considering a lentil and rice casserole that's very easy to make because at least one of their assistants is vegetarian. I need to find out exactly what kind because the recipe does call for cheese. Frozen stuffed pastas sound good, very easy and quick. I'll try to have fresh fruit but who knows when I'll get to the store or market to get some. I'm going to need lots of snack foods for my older boys that they can grab and eat themselves, yogurt, granola bars, juice boxes.

It's so hard since I'm not the cook in the family. My dh is but he's deployed so I've got to figure this out on my own. I may just end up with a lot of prepared, frozen foods. grossedout.gif I hate the way most of those taste but I have to have some hot meals for my boys.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#11 of 17 Old 07-04-2011, 06:59 AM

I'm trying to figure this out too. I was thinking it would be nice (and tasty) to have some fresh bagels, cream cheese, lox and veggies around. Maybe juice, coconut water, popsicles and fruit. Maybe I should pick up some granola bars and fruit leather too. 

I also thought that pasta salad was a great idea too. There is a recipe for a spinach pesto orzo salad that I really like to make and I thought everyone could just help themselves to.

I think it's hard with it being so hot here - if it we're colder weather, I'd do a big pot of soup or stew and some crusty bread with butter!

I'm Cait  - married to my best friend Mike and Mama to Theo (7/30/11)  baby.gif

#12 of 17 Old 07-05-2011, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great ideas. Think I'm going to get my soup on tomorrow and stock the freezer and have easy things for sandwiches and smoothies in the fridge.

Married to my high school sweetheart (15years), Mamma to 3 boyspeace.gif (2000), whistling.gif(2003), blahblah.gif (2007) and growing a new little one stork-suprise.gif due late July 2011. 
#13 of 17 Old 07-05-2011, 11:31 AM

glad you posted since I'm trying to figure this out myself! I dont have many plans yet except I always have breakfast stuff on hand and lots of fruit. If it's at night, I'm not sure what I'll do. I dont anticipate wanting to do much cooking or baking while I'm in labor. We'll see...

And, just as a TMI FYI, as a migraine sufferer I learned that when I wanted something in my stomach but I knew I was going to throw up I found chocolate milk to be the best option. It doesn't taste much different on the way out as on the way in and its easy to, uh, get rid of. I found roughage things, like salads and veggies, were not good since they dont digest very fast and come out in nasty chunks. Again, sorry for the TMI but maybe helpful if you're a puker!! redface.gif

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF

#14 of 17 Old 07-09-2011, 07:24 PM

This sounds divine.  How do you "shave" it?....dumb question I know.  Do you just put it in the food processor?  I LOVE their dark chocolate coconut milk. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuzzleNudge View Post

I also have Coconut water. I have been freezing it into ice to be shaved into slushies for D-Day

I mix equal parts Coconut Water and Silk Brand Pure Coconut Milk and a few drops of Coconut Extract Flavoring and freeze. Then pop it out and shave it. REFRESHING! LOVE COCONUT!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwjWWO6pRLa-qCEEJ6LRDZbcG6lm2yJafACoAWP15lGVrhnVtpimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRAXd4qYDUKDtaVpyiMr3Krt0_JeSJv6rlUGlrwiO89NTiWhlOvPw

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#15 of 17 Old 07-12-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianBlesing View Post

This sounds divine.  How do you "shave" it?....dumb question I know.  Do you just put it in the food processor?  I LOVE their dark chocolate coconut milk. 

Well I have a Snow Cone maker type thing. Like This :http://www.amazon.com/Victorio-VKP1101-Snow-Maker-Shaver/dp/B002S0JYRA/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1310492551&sr=8-7

They have Dark Chocolate Flavor!?! My Gawd what a brilliant idea! Chocolate milk and Coconut Milk! Amazing!!!

#16 of 17 Old 07-12-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuzzleNudge View Post

Well I have a Snow Cone maker type thing. Like This :http://www.amazon.com/Victorio-VKP1101-Snow-Maker-Shaver/dp/B002S0JYRA/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1310492551&sr=8-7

They have Dark Chocolate Flavor!?! My Gawd what a brilliant idea! Chocolate milk and Coconut Milk! Amazing!!!

I figured that was how it was done but just wanted to check and make sure. The Dark Chocolate Coconut Milk is so yummy!  You have no idea how good it is.  I get mine at Walmart of all places.

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#17 of 17 Old 07-13-2011, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianBlesing View Post

I figured that was how it was done but just wanted to check and make sure. The Dark Chocolate Coconut Milk is so yummy!  You have no idea how good it is.  I get mine at Walmart of all places.

I've been wondering where everyone got the coconut milk. I haven't seen it here but I don't shop at Walmart. I guess I might have to check there.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page