Pregnancy Leave - yay! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-11-2011, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't know what you other working mamas were/are doing, but today is the first day of my pregnancy leave!  I previously worked full-time (and have been the sole breadwinner for the family for the last eight years) and meant to stay at work until July 15th, but last week I just started experiencing WAY more late-pregnancy woes, and I couldn't concentrate on anything, so I buggered off a week early.  This weekend was spent omg nesting, cleaning and setting up baby things.... and today my real leave begins!

DH took DD to daycare half an hour ago and I'm practically bored already.  I have the whole house, the whole day to myself!  I have a thing or two that needs doing around the house, of course, and I am looking forward to having NAPS, but I'm almost terrified about what else to do! ROTFLMAO.gifI've never liked alone-time much, so I'm trying to fill the time with relaxing-but-productive projects: knitting socks for the midwives (thanks MarineWife!), re-reading the Sing of Ice and Fire books, blogging.  The baby isn't due for two more weeks, so I could have a lot of this ahead of me.  I wish I could relax!!!

How about you ladies?  Any other former workers finding themselves with blessed, blessed free time before the baby shows up?  Any projects on the go?

Charlotte, mommy to Maggie (July 15th 2008) and Una (July 19th 2011)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 07-11-2011, 05:37 AM

I have been off since mid-March on preventive mat leave due to my job.  It is starting to get long and I'm wondering if this is why I'm getting a bit impatient now (due July 24th).

I definitely was lucky in that I got a lot of stuff done while I wasn't too heavily pregnant, so now I'm doing little projects like you.  I've also been spending a lot of my time looking for pools to go swimming in because it is SO HOT here!

I have a big cross stitch project that I would have like to finish, but I'm not sure if I will be able to.  My hands are so sore that I just can't hold the needle sometimes.

#3 of 10 Old 07-11-2011, 07:15 AM

My first day of leave was last Monday and I didn't really know what to do at first!  I had this giant list of things to get done and I'm almost through with it... although I add something new everyday.  The first couple days I stayed busy because I was so used to staying busy at work.  Then on about Wed, I realized that I didn't have to be frantic anymore and could actually do a little bit, then nap, do a little bit, then nap!  I'm still learning how to just chill and relax.  Sometimes I feel antsy or bored and check my work email!  Ha!  Old habits never die.  But then I remember that this is a very rare time in my life where I can focus on myself (and baby).  I make sure I do something special for myself everyday.  This will be my first, so I'm trying to embrace the peace of pre-parenthood! 

My projects include knitting, sewing, cooking, and cleaning.  It's really nice to be able to do these casually instead of trying to fit everything in on a Sat and Sun!!  Enjoy mama!!!  Do something really nice for yourself today  :-)  I'm gonna get a milkshake with my girlfriends.  :-)

#4 of 10 Old 07-11-2011, 08:27 AM

Today is my first day of leave, and I have no idea what to do.  Everything is done...I was thinking about trying to walk this baby out but don't really have anywhere close by to go walk (it's WAY too hot outside).  

ahhh to be able to think well enough to create a clever signature.sleeping.gif someday i will have enough sleep to accomplish this task...

Janae, mama to X (1/09) & X (7/11) and wife to J (since 9/96!)  Homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby (and toddler) wearing, co-sleeping, lactivist, intactivist. luxlove.gif

#5 of 10 Old 07-11-2011, 09:06 AM

I am beginning to question the wisdom in working up until I go into labor, which was my plan all along. I'm sitting at my desk at work right now with the most relentless case of heartburn and feeling like I'm going to upchuck my breakfast at any moment. Ugh.

However, I only get 8 weeks of maternity leave, so I am hoping to save that time to spend with my LO when he arrives. However, he's not due 'til the 25th, and I'm wildly uncomfortable and tired all the time as it is.

What to do ... what to do ...

#6 of 10 Old 07-11-2011, 12:16 PM

I worked up until birth with both my kids. With my son I worked until Monday, got induced on Tuesday. With my daughter, I was rushed to the hospital in my work uniform- I was supposed to be at work that dayeyesroll.gif  My house is still in chaos because of it- I haven't seen my dining room table in a month lol.gif

Lisa, Mama to two 2-26-09 and 6-15-11

"Hey baby, do you like trains?"

#7 of 10 Old 07-11-2011, 12:54 PM

I was going to work until I went in to labor but since baby is breech and not showing any signs of turning, c-section is scheduled for next Wednesday. So my last day will be Friday and then I'll have the weekend and two days off before baby gets here. Will hopefully spend that time resting!

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#8 of 10 Old 07-11-2011, 10:03 PM

I'm currently working 6 days a week and was going to keep grooming until I went into labor but have recently been convinced to take the week off before.  I'm looking forward to it because my mom will be coming into town.  We still have soooooooo much to do here.  Our house is still under construction.  Still trying to figure out how we are going to have a baby in this mess.   We have the bare bones to survive but I really would like my house back in order.  I haven't decided how much leave I'm going to take yet.  I work for myself so I can take as much time as I need but no work = no money either.  DH's income is enough for us to get by and pay the bills so I'm going to take it one week at a time. 

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#9 of 10 Old 07-12-2011, 07:38 AM

Anyway you can ask them if you can work from home for a week or two leading up to your due date (until the baby comes).  That might be a good solution for you if they say yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoEngland View Post

I am beginning to question the wisdom in working up until I go into labor, which was my plan all along. I'm sitting at my desk at work right now with the most relentless case of heartburn and feeling like I'm going to upchuck my breakfast at any moment. Ugh.

However, I only get 8 weeks of maternity leave, so I am hoping to save that time to spend with my LO when he arrives. However, he's not due 'til the 25th, and I'm wildly uncomfortable and tired all the time as it is.

What to do ... what to do ...

#10 of 10 Old 07-12-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightswimming View Post

Anyway you can ask them if you can work from home for a week or two leading up to your due date (until the baby comes).  That might be a good solution for you if they say yes.

I haven't asked yet, but I'm really thinking about it. I was feeling so crummy yesterday (nausea and heartburn with a dash of fatigue thrown in for good measure) that I went home after lunch. My workplace is pretty flexible, so if I get too uncomfortable to come in regularly, they might be OK with that.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page