Name advice for baby boy due in three weeks! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-11-2011, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm a longtime lurker, first-time-in-several-years poster.  DW and I are expecting our second in a few weeks (official due date is 7/29.)  DD is five and a half, and child #2 will be a boy.  While we’ve never had trouble agreeing on girls’ names we like, such has not been the case for boys’ names.

For reference, DD is Simone Graciela (MN is after DW’s grandmother from Colombia.)  Our tastes run toward the uncommon but still familiar (think 400-700 in the SSN’s top 1000 list.)

We’ve narrowed our boys’ names to these:

Forrest (MN Paul or Charles, two of my uncles)

-Positives: The current frontrunner, and DW's top choice.  Pleasant and easygoing, suggesting nature, and fairly nickname-proof.

-Negatives: I can’t help but hear the quote from ‘Forrest Gump’: “Run, Forrest, Run.”

Apollo (MN Charles)

-Positives: Bold and assertive, unusual but not overly so.  Also fairly nickname-proof.

-Negatives: Hard to imagine in everyday usage.  Also, could it be seen as pretentious to name your son after a god?

Cyrus (MN Paul)

-Positives: This was our frontrunner until a few weeks ago, and still my top choice.  It’s strong but pleasant, familiar but not common.

-Negatives: What knocked it out of the top spot was the possibility of the taunt ‘Cyrus the Virus’ greensad.gif.  There’s also the potential nickname ‘Cy’, which we’re not fond of.

We’ve also discussed Desmond (MN Charles or Paul) and Cedric (MN Paul), but they are a notch below these top three.

So, what does the Mothering community think?  Does one of these sound especially like the brother of a Simone?  Is “Cyrus the Virus” really so horrible?  Is the movie “Forrest Gump” even in the frame of reference of today’s children?  Is Apollo just a bit too audacious?

Thanks in advance!

#2 of 9 Old 07-11-2011, 04:28 PM

I like Apollo~ and Cyrus. I don't think the virus thing would come up very often. It's not a real "kid" word ya know~ And I really like Desmond, think it sounds nice with Simone.

#3 of 9 Old 07-11-2011, 04:41 PM

My DH also voted for Apollo Charles. I think they're all good choices though (I'm not personally a fan of Cyrus but love the others) and your list is short enough that you could wait till you see the baby to decide which one suits him best.
#4 of 9 Old 07-11-2011, 04:49 PM

I love Cyrus and Desmond. I would stay far far away from Forrest Gump lol (but that is just me)

I kinda like Cyrus Charles...instead of Paul

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#5 of 9 Old 07-11-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radicaleel View Post

My DH also voted for Apollo Charles. I think they're all good choices though (I'm not personally a fan of Cyrus but love the others) and your list is short enough that you could wait till you see the baby to decide which one suits him best.

yeahthat.gif

Charlotte, mommy to Maggie (July 15th 2008) and Una (July 19th 2011)!
#6 of 9 Old 07-13-2011, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the feedback!  The positive reception to Apollo here has me feeling pretty good about it, especially since I just can't get enthusiastic about Forrest, though it's a fine name.  DW is still convinced that the Cyrus/Virus thing would be a real problem at some point, so that name might be off the board.

As far as Desmond and Cedric go - the main thing keeping them from top contender status are, respectively, the possible NN "Desi" and the possible pronunciation "SEE-drick" (we prefer "SED-rick".)  They are definitely still in the running, though.

All in all, we'll probably wait until we meet the little guy before making the final decision, and see if one of these names just "clicks".

Thank you again, and all the best!

#7 of 9 Old 07-13-2011, 01:51 PM

My first thought when I here Apollo is Apollo Ono.  perfectly respectable athlete.

#8 of 9 Old 07-13-2011, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, we definitely enjoyed watching Apolo Ohno (I believe he spells it with one 'L') over the last few winter games.  An Olympic champion, and a local guy as well - a very positive association!

#9 of 9 Old 07-13-2011, 03:01 PM

I love the name Desmond Charles.  thumb.gif  The nickname Desi wasn't even on my radar.  The name Desmond reminds me of Lost.  love.gif

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page