After Pains for those going on their 2nd 3rd 4th plus birthing... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 07-11-2011, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So...Are there any other ideas for dealing with after pains? I have the herbs to drink and Valerian tincture, but are there any other remedies I don;t know about?

AND please be honest with me...is the third birth worse than the second for these contractions? That was a bit shocking last time around, anyone with a third birthing experience to elaborate?

#2 of 36 Old 07-11-2011, 05:17 PM

I Just had #5. the after pains were brutal when nursing. they lasted for about 4-5 days. I was a big fan of percocet (spelling?) at the hospital... I took those until 30 hours after and then did motrin until day 5. Contractions and delivery have become easier with each birth, but not because they just "fall out"... maybe I just got used to experiencing the pain? I'd recommend getting a heating pad to put on your belly for after. that helped a lot...

SuburbanHippie likes this.
#3 of 36 Old 07-11-2011, 06:11 PM

I read that motherwort is great for easing/eliminating them. I just had #2 and the afterpains were worse than labor contractions, IMO. The worst ones were while nursing and would last for 2-3 minutes or more..I had to breathe through some. I broke down and took some ibuprofen and had plans of getting some motherwort if they continued. Thankfully, they only went on for about two days or so.

Earth-loving, birth-loving, body-working, simple-livin' mama to two sweet girls and fiance to a hard-working man treehugger.gif namaste.gifbellyhair.gif

#4 of 36 Old 07-11-2011, 08:06 PM

I also agree that the afterpains were pretty brutal with #3. I am awaiting #4 and am trying to remind myself, my DH, my mom, and my MIL that I will need to adhere to a pretty strict pain reliever schedule. I hate taking things, but this is a time when I feel like it really makes life do-able.

Sarah*

Sarah, Mom to Theo (8/06), Penny (1/08) and Felix 10/30) #4 due 07/11
#5 of 36 Old 07-11-2011, 11:00 PM

My afterpains were brutal with baby number 5- I did use Motherlove afterease tincture and Chinese herbs but I had to breathe through each nursing session for about 5 days- not looking forward to it this time but I plan to use cal/mag liquid as well as herbs and placenta medicine.

#6 of 36 Old 07-11-2011, 11:32 PM

Location: Basking In the Chaos of 4 Small Children Who Call Me Mom

Oh Dear. I am Dreading this. I seem to remember them being pretty bad with #2, wondering what I'm in for this time. I need to order some afterease....

Brittanyfly-by-nursing2.gif Wife to Cedricblowkiss.gif (heartbeat.gif4-9-05heartbeat.gif) Mommy to: Gideon Edmundsuperhero.gifG.E.M.(2-1-07)stillheart.gif

Miscarried Isabelle Aurora2ndtri.gif I.A.M. (12-12-08) Lorelei Ariahwool.gifL.A.M.(1-14-10)stillheart.gif  Youtube.com/user/murillomania

Tabitha Ivy Esperanza babyf.gifT.I.E.M.(7-17-11) My First h20homebirth.gif  stillheart.gifPhineas Alexander Lyric babyboy.gifP.A.L.M.(3-30-13) rainbow1284.gifuc.jpg

#7 of 36 Old 07-11-2011, 11:38 PM

Location: Basking In the Chaos of 4 Small Children Who Call Me Mom

Should One even Bother with the Mother Wort or After-Ease, or just head straight for the pain relievers? Without a scrip from a doc, I guess the best I can hope for is Extra-Strength Tylenol. Yikes.thumbsuck.gifirked.gifhorrors.gif

Brittanyfly-by-nursing2.gif Wife to Cedricblowkiss.gif (heartbeat.gif4-9-05heartbeat.gif) Mommy to: Gideon Edmundsuperhero.gifG.E.M.(2-1-07)stillheart.gif

Miscarried Isabelle Aurora2ndtri.gif I.A.M. (12-12-08) Lorelei Ariahwool.gifL.A.M.(1-14-10)stillheart.gif  Youtube.com/user/murillomania

Tabitha Ivy Esperanza babyf.gifT.I.E.M.(7-17-11) My First h20homebirth.gif  stillheart.gifPhineas Alexander Lyric babyboy.gifP.A.L.M.(3-30-13) rainbow1284.gifuc.jpg

#8 of 36 Old 07-12-2011, 05:15 AM

Oh how I hate these!!! Worse than labour IMO also. I'm expecting baby #4 very soon and dreading the afterpains. I do have a herbal tincture waiting for me and a cal/mag spray vitamin that helped (but not totally relieved) the pains after the last birth.  I've read that abdominal binding afterwards may help so I've got one of those velcro waist cinchers to try (got it at inhishands.com) this time around. A warm rice sock or heating pad also helps.  Sometimes lying on my stomach would help too but you can't really do that while nursing!  There is no way I can get through the afterpains without round the clock pain meds and I rarely take anything for pain. It still never did the trick 100%....Oh I don't even want to think about this right now.  Good luck mammas!!!!

Married to my high school sweetheart (15years), Mamma to 3 boyspeace.gif (2000), whistling.gif(2003), blahblah.gif (2007) and growing a new little one stork-suprise.gif due late July 2011. 
#9 of 36 Old 07-12-2011, 06:36 AM

yeahthat.gif

I do labor fine drug-free and my first two I didn't really mind the after pains, but I was begging for the drugs after #3. Totally plan on taking something this time also, will be birthing in the hospital.

Why is it so bad afterwards? Is it just a mental thing, or is there some reason it may actually hurt more than labor? I am leaning toward mental myself 

***good tip on the  binding, I could see how that might help.

#10 of 36 Old 07-12-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuzzleNudge View Post

Should One even Bother with the Mother Wort or After-Ease, or just head straight for the pain relievers? Without a scrip from a doc, I guess the best I can hope for is Extra-Strength Tylenol. Yikes.thumbsuck.gifirked.gifhorrors.gif

I don't want those in my system let alone a newborn's system via my milk but that's just me- I tough it out LOL as difficult as it is. Heat and bellybinding can also help.

NuzzleNudge likes this.
#11 of 36 Old 07-12-2011, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

yeahthat.gif I am looking for natural pain relief here as well. Would a Cal/Magnesium suppliment work or what is the tincture about?

#12 of 36 Old 07-12-2011, 09:24 AM

I'm all for natural birth but I'll take pain relievers as well. Honestly for me, I've already done the hard work of labor and birth and I'd rather enjoy and relax during my post-partum time instead of being in pain. The afterpains were worse with #2 than #3, and while they still hurt every time I nursed they didn't last as long. Probably because I stayed in bed for so long. My pelvis and tailbone actually seemed to hurt worse.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#13 of 36 Old 07-12-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Katie~ View Post

I'm all for natural birth but I'll take pain relievers as well. Honestly for me, I've already done the hard work of labor and birth and I'd rather enjoy and relax during my post-partum time instead of being in pain. 

That's pretty much what I told my midwives - after the baby is OUT of my body, they can put whatever they like into me. >.<  I mean, with the obvious exception of things which will adversely effect breastfeeding...

Charlotte, mommy to Maggie (July 15th 2008) and Una (July 19th 2011)!
#14 of 36 Old 07-12-2011, 11:29 AM

I just had #5 last week and used motherwort tincture.  I only used 3-4 doses and couldn't feel much more than normal menstral like cramping while nursing within 3-4 hrs after the birth.  I also took some extra cal/mag a few hrs after birth.

NuzzleNudge likes this.
#15 of 36 Old 07-12-2011, 11:35 AM

The cal/mag supplement def. helped me last time. It was actually my midwife's husband who thought of it as it was something they used to give to cows after they calved if they were having pains.  She recommended the spray formula by Vitamist because I could take it several times a day (or every time I sat down to nurse) but I'm sure a pill form would help too. The tincture I have is by Mountain Meadow Herbs http://www.mountainmeadowherbs.com/After_Pain_Relief_p/a1010.htm  I used the Afterease one before but never found it helped me much so I'm trying this one this time around.  

I'm happy for some of you that you could just tough it out but seriously that was not an option for me - it really is that bad for me... I hate taking pain meds and I understand especially not wanting to take things when nursing but for me I needed the pain meds to relax enough to let the milk out...  I'm really hoping the binding is as good as the web pages I've read say it is!

But in the end it does only last a few days - the part to remember that the sooner your full milk comes in, the sooner they stop so nurse, nurse, nurse even if it causes the cramping!!

Married to my high school sweetheart (15years), Mamma to 3 boyspeace.gif (2000), whistling.gif(2003), blahblah.gif (2007) and growing a new little one stork-suprise.gif due late July 2011. 
#16 of 36 Old 07-12-2011, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Gotcha, everybody's gotta choose for themselves and their milk. And I have taken motrin for bruised tail bone and a mighty tear after first born...But regarding the after-pains I guess I should have clarified in my original post I was seeking non-pharmies.

Here's the kellymom link to all that~ http://kellymom.com/health/meds/pain-meds.html

Even though some of these are level 2 and 3, I can't even believe how some of these are rated and they do not flow with my own comfort levels or philosophies. Like Oxycodone is a L3 and considered "moderatley safe". Moderartely safe for milk, but how about the addictive qualities of some of these? I guess I just don't agree with some of these safety standards anyhow~

#17 of 36 Old 07-12-2011, 12:11 PM

My afterpains were far worse with #2 than they were with #3.  Guess I'll find out in a few days how #4 goes. 

I just do Advil for a day or so and then I'm fine.  I'm not anti-herb, but I just can't see spending $20 for a bottle that I'll use for like 2 days when I can pop a few Advil and be done. 

Momofplenty likes this.

Christine, mama to Ava (7.05), Alder (5.07), Sadie (2.09) and #4 due mid-July 2011! 
#18 of 36 Old 07-12-2011, 06:47 PM

I never had any with #1-3 but #4 was horrible.  I took heavy pain meds and the side effects were worse than the after birth pains.   #5 I didn't have any issues with the pains at all.   So I am hopeful for no birth pains or manageable with Motrin this time.

#19 of 36 Old 07-12-2011, 08:24 PM

popping in from August...

With #2 the afterpains were so much worse than labor. I tried to do pain relief as little as possible.

With #3, who was born early and I wanted to be in the NICU with her, I took more modern medicine (tylenol, etc) around the clock combined with crampbark and that helped a TON. It made life so much easier!

This time I'm planning the same thing.

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#20 of 36 Old 07-13-2011, 05:25 AM

Gosh. I'm about to have #4 and after pains hadn't even entered my mind. I can't remember if I had any with any of my other births. You guys have me worried, though. Maybe I need to stock up on some treatments jic.

I would try some natural treatments first. If those didn't work, I'd try ibuprofen or acetaminophen. I wouldn't want to take anything stronger than that, especially a narcotic, while breastfeeding.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#21 of 36 Old 07-13-2011, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

I would try some natural treatments first. If those didn't work, I'd try ibuprofen or acetaminophen. I wouldn't want to take anything stronger than that, especially a narcotic, while breastfeeding.

After DD1 I took Acetaminophen & Ibuprofin several times a day to deal with the pain from an episiotomy & a very bad tear.  I also wouldn't take anything stronger (I read a scary story just after DD's birth about a women who took some kind of morphine-based meds after birth and wound up killing her new baby through breastfeeding - I've been terrified of the things ever since.) Worked like gangbusters.  Here's hoping the same mix helps with afterpains!

Charlotte, mommy to Maggie (July 15th 2008) and Una (July 19th 2011)!
#22 of 36 Old 07-13-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HidaShara View Post

After DD1 I took Acetaminophen & Ibuprofin several times a day to deal with the pain from an episiotomy & a very bad tear.  I also wouldn't take anything stronger (I read a scary story just after DD's birth about a women who took some kind of morphine-based meds after birth and wound up killing her new baby through breastfeeding - I've been terrified of the things ever since.) Worked like gangbusters.  Here's hoping the same mix helps with afterpains!

yikes2.gif Yeah, I meant strong tylenol for afterpains, not anything too crazy. I don't like taking tylenol normally, but for sure needed it and plan on taking this time as well.

#23 of 36 Old 07-13-2011, 12:21 PM

As for pain meds, I'm talking about Advil too.  I took Vicodin a couple times after my first birth because of a wickedly bad tear but I hated how I felt on it.  So, yes, just advil for me and the natural things - I've been seeing a reflexologist during this pregnancy and today she said the afterpains being bad can be from the liver being congested. She gave me hope that they might not be so bad this time since I've been having treatments during this pregnancy. I so hope she's right!  But you know, at this point....I just want the baby to come!!!! Come on baby!!! I wanna hold you! :-)

#24 of 36 Old 07-15-2011, 06:52 PM

I don't think the tylenol is helping this time.   The rice sock is helping.  I put it against my back when nursing.   When I am not holding baby I put it on my belly. 

#25 of 36 Old 07-15-2011, 09:02 PM

hug2.gif I hope they fade quickly for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 in 2005 View Post

I don't think the tylenol is helping this time.   The rice sock is helping.  I put it against my back when nursing.   When I am not holding baby I put it on my belly. 

#26 of 36 Old 07-16-2011, 06:37 PM

600mg of Motrin every  hours helped....but yea, baby #3 and they were intense!

Married to Mike blowkiss.gif(5/29/05) and mama to Emmie energy.gif (6/11/06), Chase superhero.gif(3/21/08) and our baby Parker lost at 16 weeks angel2.gif (2/22/10) , Sawyer joy.gif our rainbow1284.gif (7/11/11) and a girl baby.gif on the way in April! 
#27 of 36 Old 07-16-2011, 07:38 PM

Mine were worse with #2 than they've been so far with #3...

Sarah-Mommy to T (5), C (2) and baking a baby girl due in early July
#28 of 36 Old 07-17-2011, 11:01 PM

I didn't realize that they could be so intense!  I didn't have any at all with my first, but I sure had them like crazy with my second.  They were really powerful!  I still get a few mild ones here or there, but that first day was nuts.  I took advil for them and it helped some, although didn't stop them entirely.

ahhh to be able to think well enough to create a clever signature.sleeping.gif someday i will have enough sleep to accomplish this task...

Janae, mama to X (1/09) & X (7/11) and wife to J (since 9/96!)  Homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby (and toddler) wearing, co-sleeping, lactivist, intactivist. luxlove.gif

#29 of 36 Old 07-23-2011, 11:56 AM

This is bizarre but now with baby number 6 I am hardly feeling anything. They were awful with number 5...............

#30 of 36 Old 07-23-2011, 01:04 PM

Oh I am SO not looking forward to this!  greensad.gif

Melissa - Happy mommy to blahblah.gif Mitchell - 9lbs 1oz, 01-14-2007; and babyf.gifDylan - 10lbs 6oz, 07-25-2011

Happily married to Jeff since 09-24-2005

bfinfant.gif  hang.gif  cd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page