Miles Henry, our little firecracker baby! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-14-2011, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Been meaning to hop on here to announce the arrival of our son, Miles Henry, when I could figure out how to post a few pictures as well.  Not quite done writing the birth story, but I'll share an abbreviated version, until I finish the more detailed account!

Miles was born on July 4th at 1:55 pm, at home - a VBAC baby!  He weighed 9 lbs. 2 oz. and measured 21 inches long and had a 14.5 inch head. 

My contractions started at 6:00 am, on July 4th, one day before my due date.  We were totally expecting for me to go much later, as my daughter was born at 42 weeks 3 days.  Happily, this was not to be the case!  I stayed in bed as long as possible, figuring this was not "it" and I would fall asleep soon.  I listened to my Hypnobabies tracks which were helpful.  Things moved along, however, and my daughter and I got up, had some breakfast and soon after that I had to wake DH.  I called the midwife to let her know what was up and we both thought things were still early, as the contractions were short, although intense and frequent.  Don't know how frequent as I was trying to ignore them still, and didn't time anything.  Got in the shower and things intensified.  Started feeling a lot of pressure.  Told DH maybe he should call the midwife back, who agreed to come check me.  When she arrived around 10:30 I was 6 cm already and she said it was definitely active labor.  Things intensified further after that, and I hung off the side of a small armoire through each contraction.  I started really vocalizing which helped me through.  Then I hung off DH for some contractions, until he was too tired, so I hung on the midwife, but ended up on the floor, over a birth ball, so that I didn't feel like I was wearing anyone out by hanging all my weight off them.  I had started feeling a bit pushy/pressure, etc.  While I was down on the floor, my midwife checked me again and said I was 8 cm with a bulging bag.  I felt disappointed, but she said not to be as that was another 2 cm in a very short time, and that my bag of waters was bulging.  Soon after that it broke, and I kinda started bearing down.  My midwife just said to do whatever my body needed to do, and it needed to push a little, so I did.  Then I started really pushing in earnest.  I was on hands and knees on the floor at this point.  After a while, my midwife suggested turning over and leaning back on the birth ball to help the baby move under my pubic bone, so I did, and ended up flat on my back on the floor.  That's where I pushed him out.  It was hard work, and perhaps in hindsight I could have made it easier by being more upright, but I was so tired my legs just couldn't hold me up, and I was making progress, so I just went with it.  Funny how you end up in a position you think you won't!!!  But it worked!  I pushed for just under one hour and out came Miles!  His head was born, and then I thought, well, if I just push a little more I can get the rest of him out, so I did!  It was the most amazing moment of my life!  Absolutely fantastic!  I'm so glad I tried for a VBAC and that we stayed home to do it.  I couldn't have roared my way through labor in a hospital with strangers watching and listening.  There'd have been no way.

Let's see if I can post some photos.....

Here he is, just out! I had to ask DH to go get the camera because we forgot about it amidst all the intense birthing going on, so I don't have any photos of him emerging.

IMG_9057.jpg

New baby Miles!!!  So amazing to have a warm, wet, wriggling newborn on my stomach!!!

IMG_9065.jpg

I was SO HAPPY!!!

IMG_9062.jpg

Smooches from big sister, "I kissed him on the LIPS!!!" she said.

IMG_9096.jpg

A few days old:

249de33c.jpg

Mama to a daughter (3/2008) and a son (7/2011)
#2 of 13 Old 07-14-2011, 03:12 PM

Congrats on your HBAC and your new baby!  He's so chubby cheeked and cute!

ahhh to be able to think well enough to create a clever signature.sleeping.gif someday i will have enough sleep to accomplish this task...

Janae, mama to X (1/09) & X (7/11) and wife to J (since 9/96!)  Homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby (and toddler) wearing, co-sleeping, lactivist, intactivist. luxlove.gif

#3 of 13 Old 07-14-2011, 04:46 PM

Your story makes me SO happy! Woohoo! joy.gif
#4 of 13 Old 07-14-2011, 07:09 PM

Congratualtions on your VBAC!!  He's adorable, those cheeks are yummy!!!  joy.gif

#5 of 13 Old 07-14-2011, 07:20 PM

How sweet is that little guy! Congratulations on your VBAC, mama! joy.gif

#6 of 13 Old 07-15-2011, 05:29 AM

Those cheeks are amazing!

Danielle (29)reading.gif married to my best friend Lou guitar.gif since 9/10/10 stillheart.gif ,mama to Ada Adelleenergy.gif since 8/5/11, and expecting a new addition around 4/19/14 stork-boy.gif
#7 of 13 Old 07-15-2011, 05:57 AM

He's so cute!!!!!

Congratulations!

Mrs B

#8 of 13 Old 07-15-2011, 06:33 AM

He's beautiful and a big congrats to you!

#9 of 13 Old 07-16-2011, 08:42 AM

Congratulations!  Such beautiful pictures!  I, also, had a July 4th little boy (Gabriel Henry, born at 1:40pm).

#10 of 13 Old 07-16-2011, 09:48 AM

Location: Basking In the Chaos of 4 Small Children Who Call Me Mom

Wow you weren't kidding when you said you were flat on your back! So glad you got your VBAC. What a great story. You should be very very proud. Beautiful Pictures! He is perfect, what a joy! Congrats!!!

congrats-boy.gifwelcome-bundle-of-joy-boy.png

Brittanyfly-by-nursing2.gif Wife to Cedricblowkiss.gif (heartbeat.gif4-9-05heartbeat.gif) Mommy to: Gideon Edmundsuperhero.gifG.E.M.(2-1-07)stillheart.gif

Miscarried Isabelle Aurora2ndtri.gif I.A.M. (12-12-08) Lorelei Ariahwool.gifL.A.M.(1-14-10)stillheart.gif  Youtube.com/user/murillomania

Tabitha Ivy Esperanza babyf.gifT.I.E.M.(7-17-11) My First h20homebirth.gif  stillheart.gifPhineas Alexander Lyric babyboy.gifP.A.L.M.(3-30-13) rainbow1284.gifuc.jpg

#11 of 13 Old 07-16-2011, 10:01 AM

Look at those cheeks!!!! So cute!

#12 of 13 Old 07-22-2011, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the congrats! 

@mamaw/two - isn't it fun we'll have our babies to celebrate every 4th now?  Our boys will have fireworks on their birthday every year!  And always the day off from work! :-)

@NuzzleNudge - nope, I wasn't kidding about being on my back!  Totally flat on my back on the floor!  It's kind of just where I ended up - the path of least resistance was to just sink to the floor.  There was a bed right there, and only a few feet away was the birthing tub that my husband and Dad and midwife scrambled to set up and fill for me, but nope, on the floor.  Totally not planned.  I guess even though I was on the floor, the other two attendants were holding up my legs for me, and I was lifting my bum off the floor, so I really didn't have any pressure on my tailbone.  I wonder if I had been upright if he would have come down a lot more quickly.  Because now that I think about it, I was really pushing uphill!  Oh well.  I guess it gave me lots of time to stretch out - I got away with only a small tear that did not even require a stitch.  I guess there are just some things about birth you can't plan.

Mama to a daughter (3/2008) and a son (7/2011)
#13 of 13 Old 07-22-2011, 09:22 PM

How beautiful mama, I'm so happy for you. Congrats!

Lisa, Mama to two 2-26-09 and 6-15-11

"Hey baby, do you like trains?"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page