Who's left so far? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 150 Old 07-22-2011, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I'm seriously considering acupuncture at this point. My OB said today that it is her practice's policy to not let first-time moms go past 42 weeks. I'm concerned because at today's 40-week appointment, I'm only 1 cm dilated and my cervix hasn't thinned AT ALL. 

I'm trying to have faith in my body, but I only have until Aug. 8 to get things going. Otherwise it's an induction, and I really don't want to go through that.

So, when looking for an acupuncturist, what kind of questions do I need to ask? And how much does it usually cost?

#62 of 150 Old 07-22-2011, 10:24 PM

My first acu visit cost 110$, any subsequent visits will be 65$.  I don't really know about the questions to ask because I was lucky enough to be referred to an acupuncturist who specializes in obstetrics by my midwife. They often work together, and she even attends births with the midwives for pain control.  I guess the main things would be do they use disposable needles (I think most do these days) and do they have experience with labor induction.  Maybe someone else will chime in also?

She explained to me that if the body is ready for labor, than labor will start during/soon after the treatment...if not it acts more like a preparation for labor for the uterus.  I believe that the treatment did something because I was having tightenings every 3 minutes in her office while the needles were in.  They continued fairly regularly for the rest of the day after.  Even if I haven't gone in to labor, having all those contractions must be doing something for my cervix!  If nothing has happened by Monday I will go back to see her for a 2nd treatment.

I think I read on here that other people have gone a couple days in a row.

#63 of 150 Old 07-23-2011, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter

I went into labor at night with ds3. DS2 was 3.5yo. He was asleep and didn't wake up until the early morning. My mom was in the house with me so she took care of him right away.

I don't think I'd want to wake your ds. Who knows? He might sleep through the whole thing. Is your MIL willing to come over in the middle of the night and get your ds if he does wake up? I guess maybe it would depend on when he goes to sleep and when in the night you go into labor. If it's all kind of early and you want your MIL to take him to her house, it might be a good idea to wake up when she gets there. But if it's the middle of the night, like midnight to 3:00 am or something like that, I'd probably let him sleep.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#64 of 150 Old 07-23-2011, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

Since you all have brought up acu I've been thinking about it, too. My MW mentioned the acupuncturist here provides services during labor for pain relief and I really think I'd like that. I've been to her before and I love acupuncture. It's been about 4 years, though. Since my edb is only a week away I should probably call her soon.

As far as what to ask, I don't really know. I guess just ask if the persons is knowledgeable and experienced with treating pg women. I think acu, just like any of those other supposed labor inducing tricks, won't work unless your body is going to go into labor anyway. That doesn't mean it isn't worth doing but I wouldn't expect it acu alone to put you into real labor if you weren't going to be already.

As far as going over 42w, I've touched on this a little, but you don't have to consent to any medical intervention regardless of the protocol of your HCP. It's totally up to you what to do, obviously, but you can refuse. If you want to try to compromise, you can suggest weekly or biweekly NSTs and/or periodic biophysical profiles (ultrasounds) to appease your HCP. Personally, if the only reason someone was telling me I had to be induced or have a c/s or anything else was because I was 42w, I would refuse it. I insist that they give me a medical reason that is specific to me and my situation, not just some general thing about how babies can become distressed if they go too far overdue. Just my 2 cents worth. Take it or leave it. smile.gif

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#65 of 150 Old 07-23-2011, 06:16 AM

Last night I had some actual contractions! I figured today would be the day because that's how DS went, mild crampy during the night, enough to sleep in between, until 5 or 6 then he was born at 2:43 pm. I'm still having some this morning but nothing regular or too close. They were every 5-10 mins last night but only for a few hours. I couldn't really sleep between them. But then I woke up and my ctx timer app said the one I was having was 80 mins so they must've died out. Oh well. Guess I'll go to work. Blech.
But it did make me a little more aware of what I still haven't gotten ready! Like a music list, clean the house some more, get an after delivery basket ready... eek!

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF

#66 of 150 Old 07-23-2011, 08:26 AM

I get a few random contractions throughout they day but nothing regular, I'm just sooooo freaking ready to be done.  I'm getting a membrane strip on monday, and I've been going to the gym and walking 2-4 miles daily so hopefully something happens soon.  I'm actually not an impatient person, I'm more of a private person, and people are going to start coming into town on wednesday, so I just want to have the baby before then...I think if DH was here and it would be me relying on him, I could probably wait til I was however much over-due.

as it is we scheduled an induction for Aug. 2 -it's a little closer to the EDD than I would have liked, but our hospitals policy is if you dont schedule one, they won't bump anyone until your 10 days over or have a medical need, and I would hate to bump someone so I just scheduled one, that way DH has at least ONE definite time/day to give his schedulers so he can be on skype

#67 of 150 Old 07-23-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoEngland View Post

So I'm seriously considering acupuncture at this point. My OB said today that it is her practice's policy to not let first-time moms go past 42 weeks. I'm concerned because at today's 40-week appointment, I'm only 1 cm dilated and my cervix hasn't thinned AT ALL. 

I'm trying to have faith in my body, but I only have until Aug. 8 to get things going. Otherwise it's an induction, and I really don't want to go through that.

So, when looking for an acupuncturist, what kind of questions do I need to ask? And how much does it usually cost?

Seek out a Chinese acupuncturist- I was trained in acupuncture/Chinese med and I will only see a Chinese OMD- IMHO every OMD has been far superior to westerners(sorry if that sounds biased). Acu varies- mine charges 68.00 per session. My previous one charged 65.00. A good acu will also be able to tell by your pulses what the sex of baby is, and mine told me yesterday my pulse was finally ready to have this baby and I walked out  of her office and had my baby a few hours later after a relaxing acu session where I had a nice sleep.

#68 of 150 Old 07-23-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamahen2coop View Post

But then I woke up and my ctx timer app said the one I was having was 80 mins so they must've died out. Oh well. Guess I'll go to work. Blech.

spitdrink.gif Awesome, an 80 minute contraction you could sleep through! Too funny.

I hear you on the night time contractions, then nothing. Same story here, but baby.will.come.out at some point so for now I am just trying to nap when I can. Wish you could do the same.hug2.gif

#69 of 150 Old 07-23-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmama66 View Post

Seek out a Chinese acupuncturist- I was trained in acupuncture/Chinese med and I will only see a Chinese OMD- IMHO every OMD has been far superior to westerners(sorry if that sounds biased). Acu varies- mine charges 68.00 per session. My previous one charged 65.00. A good acu will also be able to tell by your pulses what the sex of baby is, and mine told me yesterday my pulse was finally ready to have this baby and I walked out  of her office and had my baby a few hours later after a relaxing acu session where I had a nice sleep.

Thanks for the advice! There are a lot of acupuncture clinics in Dallas, so it was really overwhelming to look at the choices. 

#70 of 150 Old 07-23-2011, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

mine told me yesterday my pulse was finally ready to have this baby and I walked out  of her office and had my baby a few hours later after a relaxing acu session where I had a nice sleep.

Um, did I miss something. Weren't you just on here yesterday or the day before saying nothing had happened? Congratulations! joy.gif

I have ctx all the time. I've been able to feel them for months. Just this morning, though, they started to feel more intense. Before it was just a big of squeezing and my belly getting hard. Now it feels more like menstrual cramps down low and around my back. They still aren't regular and not every one of them feels like that. So, I don't think it means birth is imminent but it's a change that's getting me closer.

#71 of 150 Old 07-23-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoEngland View Post

Thanks for the advice! There are a lot of acupuncture clinics in Dallas, so it was really overwhelming to look at the choices.

I saw Dr. Liu for fertility treatments years ago, but would not hesitate to see her for pregnancy related issues. I like her!

In fact, I may see if she is available next week. winky.gif

janie
mama to grace 12.11.01, cady 8.11.08, and ada 8.3.11
#72 of 150 Old 07-23-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

Um, did I miss something. Weren't you just on here yesterday or the day before saying nothing had happened? Congratulations! joy.gif

I have ctx all the time. I've been able to feel them for months. Just this morning, though, they started to feel more intense. Before it was just a big of squeezing and my belly getting hard. Now it feels more like menstrual cramps down low and around my back. They still aren't regular and not every one of them feels like that. So, I don't think it means birth is imminent but it's a change that's getting me closer.

Yes! lol- after i saw my acu yesterday i had my baby a few hours later- i posted the birth story.

#73 of 150 Old 07-23-2011, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes! lol- after i saw my acu yesterday i had my baby a few hours later- i posted the birth story.

Oh, I haven't checked the rest of the board, just this thread.

#74 of 150 Old 07-24-2011, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

So, I've been having more intense, kind of painful ctx since yesterday. I decided to start counting them around 4 pm today, not timing, really, because that's too much work. I've been having 5-7 ctx an hour for the last 2.5 hours or so. When I was pg with ds2 I was told more than 4 ctx an hour for more than 4 hours was probably labor. We shall see. I'm 39w1d today so it's still a little early for me. All my other babes came at 40w+1-2d.

#75 of 150 Old 07-24-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:

So, I've been having more intense, kind of painful ctx since yesterday. I decided to start counting them around 4 pm today, not timing, really, because that's too much work. I've been having 5-7 ctx an hour for the last 2.5 hours or so. When I was pg with ds2 I was told more than 4 ctx an hour for more than 4 hours was probably labor. We shall see. I'm 39w1d today so it's still a little early for me. All my other babes came at 40w+1-2d.

yay- sending you labor vibes and hope that baby comes soon! My 7 YO came early for me (39 weeks and 3 days) so you just never know.

#76 of 150 Old 07-24-2011, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

yay- sending you labor vibes and hope that baby comes soon! My 7 YO came early for me (39 weeks and 3 days) so you just never know.

Thanks. I don't think I'm ready for this now. I'm supposed to have another week. The ctx seem to be getting more intense. I called my MWs to let them know what's going on.

#77 of 150 Old 07-26-2011, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

I had my baby boy! He was born Monday, July 25th, at 3:28 am in my home. He weighed 8 lbs., 12 oz. and is 21 inches long. love.gif

#78 of 150 Old 07-26-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:

I had my baby boy! He was born Monday, July 25th, at 3:28 am in my home. He weighed 8 lbs., 12 oz. and is 21 inches long. love.gif

OMG- that's awesome!!! Pics and story? Congratulations!!!

#79 of 150 Old 07-26-2011, 06:31 PM

Congratulations!!! :D

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

#80 of 150 Old 07-26-2011, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Here he is.

I will try to type out our birth story. I'm not very good at that sort of thing, though, so it may be a while.

#81 of 150 Old 07-26-2011, 07:26 PM

Wow- what a chubby cutie! He's gorgeous! I've got a similar WHAM diaper too!

#82 of 150 Old 07-27-2011, 03:31 AM

Oh my goodness he is precious!!  Congrats!!!!!!!!

Danielle (29)reading.gif married to my best friend Lou guitar.gif since 9/10/10 stillheart.gif ,mama to Ada Adelleenergy.gif since 8/5/11, and expecting a new addition around 4/19/14 stork-boy.gif
#83 of 150 Old 07-27-2011, 05:49 AM

Congrats MarineWife! joy.gif He's SO beautiful!
#84 of 150 Old 07-27-2011, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

thank you, everyone. i'm completely in love, of course. smile.gif

#85 of 150 Old 07-27-2011, 08:13 AM

Congratulations, MarineWife! He's adorable! joy.gif

#86 of 150 Old 07-27-2011, 11:26 AM

What a perfect little baby boy you have! Congrats!

#87 of 150 Old 07-27-2011, 01:17 PM

39.5 weeks today and am 2 cm dilated and 50% effaced. Feeling like everyone just keeps saying, "but your baby is so high still". But, this is my second... isn't that normal? I was induced with my first due to preeclampsia at 38 weeks... wondering if my body knows what to do!!

Tracy, mama to Mia Elizabethhearts.gif10~4~06 and Baby Ava Elise baby.gif 8~6~11

#88 of 150 Old 07-27-2011, 01:19 PM

Marinewife!!! How precious!!!! CONGRATS MAMA!!!

Tracy, mama to Mia Elizabethhearts.gif10~4~06 and Baby Ava Elise baby.gif 8~6~11

#89 of 150 Old 07-27-2011, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia's mama View Post

39.5 weeks today and am 2 cm dilated and 50% effaced. Feeling like everyone just keeps saying, "but your baby is so high still". But, this is my second... isn't that normal? I was induced with my first due to preeclampsia at 38 weeks... wondering if my body knows what to do!!

Thanks.

You're body will know what to do. Have faith. My first was a c-section. My 2nd was induced. My 3rd and 4th came spontaneously when they were ready and my body definitely knew what to do. I did not have one internal exam to check dilation or effacement the entire time, even when I was ready to push.

#90 of 150 Old 07-27-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:

thank you, everyone. i'm completely in love, of course. smile.gif

Congrats! Our babies share their birthday!

Tags
Birth 6 Months Toys , Lamaze Seemless Comfort Maternity Bra , Motherhood Maternity Wireless Full Coverage Nursing Bra

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page