The rapid homebirth of Julian- more pics added. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 07-22-2011, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Julian- 8 pounds(that was after he passed massive amounts of mec- before he weighed 8.9)  20 inches long - 14 inch head- born at 2:10 today (on my birthday) after a 1 hour active labor. I went to  my acu appointment this morning and came back at around 11:15. At 12 I started getting more regular contrax 5 minutes apart lasting 45 seconds or so but they weren't painful so I got on my bed and put on my hypnosis for childbirth on Ipod but my midwife kept calling me to see how things were going and I had to keep stopping it. I told my midwives maybe it's a good idea to start driving as they had to make a longer journey and I checked my dilation and at that point was maybe 4-5 or less.

I felt baby  might come at 5-6 tonight and kept telling Dh and my daughters just that  so everyone thought we had time . At 1:00 I told my daughters and husband baby was coming soon as that's when I began to feel some pressure in my bum so I went downstairs and was on the birth ball on all fours just rocking and swaying my pelvis- husband filled up the tub and at around 2 I breathed through a few contrax as they were getting more intense and walked upstairs saying ouch and  then ripped my clothes (labor dress) off and got into the tub but DH made it too hot and I quickly got out and ran my wrists under cold water and felt better. Then as I had added some more cool water to tub I got back in the tub. I had my daughter apply some counter pressure to my lower back and I felt pushy, reached inside to check myself and felt bulging water bag and pressed on it and it broke. At that point to told DH to give me several dropperfuls of Wishgarden Smooth transitions and I do feel that helped me quite a bit as I was in transition at that point.

I felt like I was going to have a bowel movement in tub and at 2;05 both midwives walked into the bathroom and I told them I was going to go to the to toilet to have a BM but instead I stood over toilet and birthed my son at 2:10 PM. It was cool because I was watching the birth via the bathroom mirror and I was in awe looking at his head dangling between my legs. He came out with a nuchal hand/arm and it was so swift and amazing! I felt great, minimal bleeding afterwards and no swelling down there- midwives said it didn't look like I had a baby and I don't feel like I did down there so that's great. Baby nursing great and all is well. His cord was burned a few hours later (one of my midwives worked with Robin Lim in Indonesia) and my placenta was picked up for medicine My husband was amazed at how bloodless the whole thing was (his first birth-child) and said I made it look so easy I guess it was my easiest birth although I had a similar easy birth with my oldest son and kept praying for a quick easy and painless birth this time and it was. I feel completely blessed and grateful.julian.JPGP1020134.JPGP1020159.JPGP1020172.JPG

#2 of 22 Old 07-22-2011, 07:00 PM

Oh my gosh 1 hour! Big congrats to you! You make it sound so easy :) joy.gif

Mama to boy born 7/18/11 and another on the way in November '13  Rainbow.gif

#3 of 22 Old 07-22-2011, 07:00 PM

Wow! What a great birth story. Congrats!
#4 of 22 Old 07-22-2011, 07:52 PM

Yay! What a sweet boy. Congrats!

I'm Cait  - married to my best friend Mike and Mama to Theo (7/30/11)  baby.gif

#5 of 22 Old 07-22-2011, 08:20 PM

Hooray! So great to hear! My midwife is headed to Bali to work with Robin right after we deliver! Wonderful sweet birth, love his name!

#6 of 22 Old 07-22-2011, 08:30 PM

Whoa! One hour is so amazing! Congratulations on the beautiful boy!

#7 of 22 Old 07-22-2011, 09:15 PM

1 hour! That's amazing!! Your baby is adorable! Congrats!!!joy.gif

Lisa, Mama to two 2-26-09 and 6-15-11

"Hey baby, do you like trains?"

#8 of 22 Old 07-22-2011, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

I am still amazed it was so fast- my husband and daughters think I could have just done a UC but in the end it was nice to have the MW's there even if they didn't have time to put gloves on or use items from the birth kit. I attribute the speedy birth to prayer and acupuncture. And for being10 days overdue his gestational age according to MW was 39 weeks and 3 days- just like my twins who went 10 days overdue and ended up with a GA of 39 weeks- still weird considering I know when conception took place.

#9 of 22 Old 07-23-2011, 06:37 AM

Congratulations, I can only hope for a quick, safe and healthy birth.

#10 of 22 Old 07-23-2011, 06:45 AM

Wonderful birth story!  Congratulations!!

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#11 of 22 Old 07-23-2011, 09:00 AM

Wow!  What a wonderful birth story!!!  Congrats mama!

#12 of 22 Old 07-23-2011, 11:04 PM

Location: Basking In the Chaos of 4 Small Children Who Call Me Mom

He is So cute! Look at that Meaty Hand and sweet boyish mouth he's got! Precious!

I too felt Like I had to poop. I went right before I got in the tub, but couldn't get it all out cuz the head was blocking the exit, you know?? So I did have a bit of a poo IN the tub when I delivered. YUK! Glad I got that fish net, but it was not exactly a turd so that didn't help...lol I digress. YUK YUK YUK. Oh well.

Glad your recovery is so easy, that is always appreciated! Send your body a Thank You note and rest a whole lot anyway!!

Brittanyfly-by-nursing2.gif Wife to Cedricblowkiss.gif (heartbeat.gif4-9-05heartbeat.gif) Mommy to: Gideon Edmundsuperhero.gifG.E.M.(2-1-07)stillheart.gif

Miscarried Isabelle Aurora2ndtri.gif I.A.M. (12-12-08) Lorelei Ariahwool.gifL.A.M.(1-14-10)stillheart.gif  Youtube.com/user/murillomania

Tabitha Ivy Esperanza babyf.gifT.I.E.M.(7-17-11) My First h20homebirth.gif  stillheart.gifPhineas Alexander Lyric babyboy.gifP.A.L.M.(3-30-13) rainbow1284.gifuc.jpg

#13 of 22 Old 07-24-2011, 07:40 AM

Wow, that's amazing!  I hope my next one goes as smoothly.  He's adorable!

#14 of 22 Old 07-24-2011, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuzzleNudge View Post

He is So cute! Look at that Meaty Hand and sweet boyish mouth he's got! Precious!

I too felt Like I had to poop. I went right before I got in the tub, but couldn't get it all out cuz the head was blocking the exit, you know?? So I did have a bit of a poo IN the tub when I delivered. YUK! Glad I got that fish net, but it was not exactly a turd so that didn't help...lol I digress. YUK YUK YUK. Oh well.

Glad your recovery is so easy, that is always appreciated! Send your body a Thank You note and rest a whole lot anyway!!

yes! I did poop in the tub and that's when  I decided to get out and go to the loo and had plans to get BACK into the tub after I went to the loo! Funny thing is I pushed him out and there was no more of that poo LOL- guess he didn't want to be a waterbirth baby which is okay with me- the tub felt too warm anyhow- we have no air con and have been having a terrible hot summer. I did snap at my husband at one point after he had lovingly filled the tub he turned the bathroom lights on and I told him to quickly shut them off or else and he kept saying but I can't see anything and I said I don't care! Then I told him to quickly get me the Smooth Transition's herbal and put a couple dropperfuls in my mouth and by golly- I think that stuff really helped! Helped me calm down enough to know it was all okay and I just let a primal force take over- it was the first birth where I wasn't checked for cervical dilation(obviously as midwives weren't there) or told when to push. First birth I had an urge to push so now I'm even more pro let the woman labor alone etc; kind of thing although I fully respect women that want support there. I felt I had that with my 20 year old daughter right there with me.

#15 of 22 Old 07-24-2011, 03:22 PM

Yeah! Congrats!

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."- Albert Einstein

#16 of 22 Old 07-24-2011, 03:42 PM

Congratulations! He's beautiful.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#17 of 22 Old 07-25-2011, 08:18 AM

How sweet.  Enjoy your little one!

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#18 of 22 Old 07-25-2011, 11:56 AM

What an awesome, inspiring story!!! Congratulations!!

Tracy, mama to Mia Elizabethhearts.gif10~4~06 and Baby Ava Elise baby.gif 8~6~11

#19 of 22 Old 07-25-2011, 01:15 PM

joy.gif

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

#20 of 22 Old 07-25-2011, 02:06 PM

Congrats, great story!

ahhh to be able to think well enough to create a clever signature.sleeping.gif someday i will have enough sleep to accomplish this task...

Janae, mama to X (1/09) & X (7/11) and wife to J (since 9/96!)  Homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby (and toddler) wearing, co-sleeping, lactivist, intactivist. luxlove.gif

#21 of 22 Old 07-25-2011, 11:31 PM

Wow! What a birth! Amazing!

I had the same thing about feeling completely normal "down there" right away. 

Burning the umbilical cord? Interesting, tell me about it!

Julian looks so content and beautiful!!!

Barbara, Mama to Isabel (06/2004), Jake (08/2006-03/2007), Noah (01/2008), and Matteo (07/2011) 
Please always research the safety of vaccines even if your doctor tells you they are harmless! novaxnocirc.gif

#22 of 22 Old 07-26-2011, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gismobabe View Post

Wow! What a birth! Amazing!

I had the same thing about feeling completely normal "down there" right away. 

Burning the umbilical cord? Interesting, tell me about it!

Julian looks so content and beautiful!!!

Thanks!
Burning the cord is practiced in Indonesia- since my MW worked over there she is very into this cord burning ritual and I enjoyed it. She feels scissors have no place at a birth and this eliminates any risk of infection like tetanus etc;

It's done 3-4 hours after the placenta has been birthed and baby has had time with mom nursing. I nursed my son as the cord was burned. I will add some pictures later. MW uses a traditional wooden box and 2 candles are placed near portion of cord being burned, the cord is left longer and then tied up in a loose knot and just falls of the usual way 4 or 5 days later.

P1020152.JPGP1020153.JPG

Gunter likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page